News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Rescue Ranger

Sad. BUT, at the end of the day the only thing I still don't want touched is ToT. If they unfortunately remove Twilight Zone aspect like they did the movie, so be it, but just KEEP it what it is. I selfishly hope Guardians 2 does terrible at the box office.

I'm shocked the incredible Citizens of Hollywood, have still managed to make it this far without getting the axe. I get they are "upgrading" the park, but don't butcher the damn thing.

I want to have to desire to go back to WDW, I still call it my home away from home...or MY home, but these days it just feels like there is an infestation and I'm unable to go back.

clemmo

So I'm going to assume this is where the new e ticket is going. I really hope they don't have to re-use the original layout as we see how that really hurt the frozen effort. I'm still holding out hope this isn't closing but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

MerlinTheGoat

This seems appropriate (not just for this topic alone either)-
painting-fresco_2316720k.jpg

And my own thoughts on the matter (though perhaps less appropriate for this particular forum, SPOILERS AND LANGUAGE WARNING)-

doctornick

Sad. I mean, GMR isn't my favorite ride but it's perfectly fine and has it's place. I'm not against the idea of replacing it with a new ride even.

But when @marni1971 brought up the that "Phase 3" was just going to be a single new ride, I at least was optimistic that it was going to be a new build and an addition to the park. DHS needs more total attractions. I don't get how the powers that be don't realize this. It's pretty ridiculous that there's gonna be some grand rededication of the park and it will only have 9 (!) rides still. That's insane terrible.

When news of the alleged $2.8B being investing in the park broke, I had such high hopes that it would finally get the love it deserved fixing the lousy layout and actually adding in an appropriate number of attractions to round off the park. Where are the multiple C-tickets that the park needs?

Even if a replacement ride is an awesome fantastic E-ticket that is miles better than GMR, why can't they just build said ride from scratch? There's plenty of unused land. What happened to the "blessing of size"?

clemmo

If they keep the Chinese theater then hopefully the ip will be a classic old one like Mary poppins or something along that line. So basically energy and TGMR will get the same complete gut and re-do (I realize energy hasn't been green lit yet)

doctornick

As an aside, I thought the extra new E-ticket was supposed to open along with Star Wars to help with the crowds by providing extra capacity (hey, you know what would help more for capacity? Not replacing a ride, but building a new one). With Star Wars opening late 2019 or early 2020, wouldn't GMR have to close earlier than 2018 to provide time to build the new ride?

Also, if ToT can't close due to the park not being able to handle losing it given the current state, how can they justify closing GMR before TSL and SW are up and running?

PorterRedkey

Another Disney Downer. Disney used to make me happy, not P@#$$3d.

I know change needs to happen, but the changes being made seem short-sighted. In a park with 5 attractions, don't replace an attraction, add new ones and refurbish the older ones. Disney has become so cheap. Charge more, but give you less for your dollars. This is the new Disney way. Oh, and also to retheme popular attraction with new themes. If it ain't broke, don't retheme it.

I am glad I didn't get a season pass this year.

Avatar will open and I will visit it, but I will only visit AK and DHS to say goodbye to GMR. I have no interest in Frozstrom or SOTW. If I get to do them okay, if not no biggie. Epcot is just too depressing these days so I try to avoid it.

I will visit SWL in DL so, my Avatar visit may be my last to WDW. I loved WDW, but now I don't even want to go because of the recent decisions and my recent experiences. At least I will save money and maybe see more of the world. Disney is snapping me out of my Disney obsession.

Biff215

Also, if ToT can't close due to the park not being able to handle losing it given the current state, how can they justify closing GMR before TSL and SW are up and running?

My thoughts exactly. If they close GMR before opening something new, DHS will not be in my plans, and ToT is my favorite attraction. It simply won't be worth the aggravation, the park is already full of even more dead ends than it was built with.

I was checking in at the concierge desk at BC two weeks ago, and overheard a CM advise a guest on the best park to use her one day ticket on. She flat out called DHS a half day park in her opinion, and I admired her honesty. And then she proceeded to tell the guest that FP for Under the Sea was a great plan...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So.. So.. So thankful that I got to ride this a couple of weeks ago! During the experience, I felt like it was so incredibly dated and awkward... Now that I've heard this news, I'm glad I did ride it again.... This attraction is a classic that I've enjoyed in my childhood but not in recent years as the age has made it extremely awkward... Yet it had full potential for a massive refurb. Enjoyed it in my childhood but it's not sentimental to me. Exact same feeling for maelstrom. I'm conflicted on this change.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
My thoughts exactly. If they close GMR before opening something new, DHS will not be in my plans, and ToT is my favorite attraction. It simply won't be worth the aggravation, the park is already full of even more dead ends than it was built with.

I have to agree. The only reason I spent a full day at this park a couple of weeks ago was to catch all of the afternoon shows and then wait until Fantasmic. Honestly, I could have done the park in about 3 or 4 hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom