Hulk Coaster Details Revealed

Disneyhead'71

just curious, but what do you mean by that? how should uni hide the hulk track?
It was straight up sarcasm. Disney fans, ad nauseum, gleefully proclaim that Universal is a totally ghetto six flags quality amusement park because at Disney you NEVER EVER see coaster track. It's the "Disney Difference"!
e1f60a82ec042415f9b42f402780c971_DisneyCoaster.jpg

dweezil78

It was straight up sarcasm. Disney fans, ad nauseum, gleefully proclaim that Universal is a totally ghetto six flags quality amusement park because at Disney you NEVER EVER see coaster track. It's the "Disney Difference"!
e1f60a82ec042415f9b42f402780c971_DisneyCoaster.jpg

Considering Space Mountain and RnRC (maybe that Crush Coaster in Paris too? not sure) are the only two Disney rides where the tracks are indoors, I'm fairly certain 99.9% of Disney fans have never made this claim. Not to mention, 99.9% of Disney fans would also agree that DCA was very poorly themed, particularly Paradise Pier. Most Disney fans, however, would probably argue that you would never see a straight up un-themed enormous B&M style coaster at a Disney park though.

For me personally, Hulk is one of my all-time faves and I hope to be back at IOA someday to check out the new build -- looks better than ever.

Tom Morrow

Considering Space Mountain and RnRC (maybe that Crush Coaster in Paris too? not sure) are the only two Disney rides where the tracks are indoors, I'm fairly certain 99.9% of Disney fans have never made this claim.
It used to be a cliché argument on Disney fan sites like this about how IOA was "like a Six Flags". It was frequent. More and more people are coming around though. Roller coaster track can be beautiful - look at Manta at SeaWorld and how it blends seamlessly with its surroundings.

Most Disney fans, however, would probably argue that you would never see a straight up un-themed enormous B&M style coaster at a Disney park though.
But you DO see the much more hideous wild mouse coasters...

dweezil78

It used to be a cliché argument on Disney fan sites like this about how IOA was "like a Six Flags". It was frequent.

Look... You'll find idiots on any message board. But back in 1999 though, EVERYONE was pumped for the opening of IOA and I don't recall anyone arguing that it looked like a Six Flags. We all ate up piece of concept art and every construction shot you could get your hands on and poured over the details. It was an exciting time to be a theme park fan.

I was lifelong Disney geek and among the first in line to jump in my car and race to Orlando when news of IOA's soft opening started making the rounds online and before the day was done I had my first-ever AP in hand. General consensus was that Disney just had their butts handed to them by Universal. I guess somewhere between then and now, people felt the need to start picking sides (I still root for everyone) and becoming overly sensitive to criticism. Go figure...

JT3000

Look... You'll find idiots on any message board. But back in 1999 though, EVERYONE was pumped for the opening of IOA and I don't recall anyone arguing that it looked like a Six Flags. We all ate up piece of concept art and every construction shot you could get your hands on and poured over the details. It was an exciting time to be a theme park fan.

I was lifelong Disney geek and among the first in line to jump in my car and race to Orlando when news of IOA's soft opening started making the rounds online and before the day was done I had my first-ever AP in hand. General consensus was that Disney just had their butts handed to them by Universal. I guess somewhere between then and now, people felt the need to start picking sides (I still root for everyone) and becoming overly sensitive to criticism. Go figure...

You're romanticizing IOA's opening. It was generally considered a failure. Sure, the park was nice, but most Disney fans didn't know that, because they didn't go. That's changed only recently. I've seen more Six Flags comparisons, on this forum and others, than I care to count.

dweezil78

You're romanticizing IOA's opening. It was generally considered a failure. Sure, the park was nice, but most Disney fans didn't know that, because they didn't go. That's changed only recently. I've seen more Six Flags comparisons, on this forum and others, than I care to count.

Not at all talking about the park's financial success or lackthereof. The launch of "Universal Escape" overall was definitely not without some growing pains.

In this case I'm specifically referring to the online Disney park/theme park enthusiast crowd at the time. We were all pretty pumped when IOA opened -- especially on the heels of the (at the time) pretty underwhelming Animal Kingdom down the street and while the even more underwhelming DCA was under construction on the other side of the country.

Also don't forget, Mr. Toad had just been shut down a few months prior, triggering the first (and pretty noteworthy) online 'save the attraction' campaign from fans. It was a time when Disney had become stale and was making some pretty poor decisions in the eyes of the online community (what's new, right?) :) IOA looked pretty damn amazing and inspiring in comparison!

Tom Morrow

I've heard it described as "glass smooth" to "smoother than before" to "rougher than before" to "very rough".... I'm wondering if there's some sort of discrepancy between trains?

But it does look really awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom