Imagine if there were no iPhones or iPads inside Disney attractions

DfromATX

Speaking of iPads, I never knew about people using them at Disney World until this website. We just got back from our trip last week and I didn't see one single person using an iPad. Of course everyone had their phones out... but no iPads.

G00fyDad

Here's a suggestion, if someone is using the flash on an attraction, simply ask them to stop. We were on Frozen Ever After and a woman in the front row was using her flash, so we asked her to turn it off. 90% of the time, they'll listen.

I have asked people to turn off the flash and I have witnessed others ask. It has always been polite the first couple of times we have had to ask, but most of the time I get a dirty look from the person and they just continue to use the flash. I have even get a hearty "F*** you!" from them. Yeah, that goes over really well with me. :bored:

G00fyDad

Speaking of iPads, I never knew about people using them at Disney World until this website. We just got back from our trip last week and I didn't see one single person using an iPad. Of course everyone had their phones out... but no iPads.

You'll see it a lot more with shows and parades. I love seeing the morons using them at night. Their playback has to look like bigfoot footage.

RMichael21

You'll see it a lot more with shows and parades. I love seeing the morons using them at night. Their playback has to look like bigfoot footage.
I was at MK on Tuesday. At least 75% of the crowd was recording the electrical parade, Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. :banghead: I mean, come on, who really thinks those videos/pictures are going to come out? I guess they do. I guess people get some kind of satisfaction out of recording everything. :confused:

Personally, I just like to sit (or stand) back and enjoy the moment. :)

216bruce

What did we do without our phones to record stuff?? Oh yea-camcorders!! Lol Actually, I was surprised to see a member say that all recording is banned at certain parks (johnguelff mentioned cedar fair). Wild. I am wondering when people had camcorders (before the smart phone explosion) to video their trips, if those were ever banned
Nope. I have quite a bit of home camcorder (C-format) video...generally shaky and marginally focused...from a bunch of attractions. My Splash Mountain one is actually pretty darn good. Never got asked to stop recording...ever. Also used no lights and never held a giant 'brick' in front of anyone's face either though.

21stamps

Cedar Fair parks will take your phone or kick you out of the park if you are caught with your phone out on any ride. They literally stop the ride if they spot you on camera with it out. Same for go pros or any other camera.
That just happened on Wednesday. So annoying. More annoying was that the obnoxious woman was arguing and screaming at the employee. I think camera/phones should be banned on any fast moving ride at any park.

Total side note- did you see the new Mystic Timbers announcement for KI?

Last edited:

DfromATX

Ahhh, that would make sense. No wonder I didn't see any - because we are the types that skip the parades and head for the rides. I can't believe anyone would tell you "f" you. That's enough rudeness to ruin your trip!

Not to veer off subject, but... of the couple of tour groups we did see a couple of weeks ago, there was one group in line for EE. They started to chant and the cast member quickly said, "Not here!" I thought that was interesting because I've never seen them shushed by cast members before.

jloucks

Check out this story... they refer to concerts
http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/06/29/apple-planning-make-taking-concert-photos-videos-lot-difficult/

http://gizmodo.com/new-apple-patent-could-stop-you-from-taking-photos-and-1782732782

But the premise would be the same.. apple could disable photos or video taking inside attractions or shows if the devices supported this kind of technology. Talk about improving the guest experience! :D

What do you think?
I think unless there is some collusion among device vendors, it will be a hard sell. I would never buy a device that would block me from taking pictures anyplace in an amusement park. Now, at a concert specifically, I am not sure I would mind that much. None the less, it would steer my buying decisions.

I am curious why a device vendor would care that much about concert copywright issues. Maybe they know something we don't.

21stamps

I think unless there is some collusion among device vendors, it will be a hard sell. I would never buy a device that would block me from taking pictures anyplace in an amusement park. Now, at a concert specifically, I am not sure I would mind that much. None the less, it would steer my buying decisions.

I am curious why a device vendor would care that much about concert copywright issues. Maybe they know something we don't.
I think it's one big thing linked together. I don't see the "disabling" anytime soon, if ever. But the watermark is pretty cool. What is completely awesome though? The interactive scenario that was listed for museums.

It's been 5 years since they purchased these rights (I think it said), and no rumors as of yet. The safe bet is that nothing in these articles are actively in the works.

blueboxdoctor

Just follow the rules. Don't use flash where it says not to and if it says no recording, well don't (though, flash is the most annoying, granted, really funny when you see people try to take pictures of the castle or even the moon with the flash on, as if, in some way, the flash can reach the moon).

G00fyDad

Just follow the rules. Don't use flash where it says not to and if it says no recording, well don't (though, flash is the most annoying, granted, really funny when you see people try to take pictures of the castle or even the moon with the flash on, as if, in some way, the flash can reach the moon).

Ahhhh, if it were only that simple. Unfortunately you have the "ME" Brigade that are always out and about and it doesn't matter what the rules are or even what is considered proper etiquette. They will do as they please and if you don't like it then you can go.... well you get the picture. These are the same people that would do something like run a stop sign and when they get pulled over they would give the same stupid excuse. "I didn't hurt anyone." :banghead: For some reason people have this warped sense of entitlement that tells them that as long as no one is getting hurt that they should be allowed to do whatever it is they are doing.

blueboxdoctor

Ahhhh, if it were only that simple. Unfortunately you have the "ME" Brigade that are always out and about and it doesn't matter what the rules are or even what is considered proper etiquette. They will do as they please and if you don't like it then you can go.... well you get the picture. These are the same people that would do something like run a stop sign and when they get pulled over they would give the same stupid excuse. "I didn't hurt anyone." :banghead: For some reason people have this warped sense of entitlement that tells them that as long as no one is getting hurt that they should be allowed to do whatever it is they are doing.

Oh no doubt, that sort of stuff happens all the time (especially with driving, as you noted, which is a little odd considering how simple the fundamentals of driving are, especially with most cars have automatic transmissions). But it seems there are people who just don't care.

But luckily I haven't had many rides at WDW ruined by people taking pictures with a flash on. However, I do find it hilarious when people pull out a giant iPad or some other tablet to start taking pictures or video (it's funny when they decide to take a selfie and get annoyed if you make your way in the picture if you are behind them).

G00fyDad

Oh no doubt, that sort of stuff happens all the time (especially with driving, as you noted, which is a little odd considering how simple the fundamentals of driving are, especially with most cars have automatic transmissions). But it seems there are people who just don't care.

But luckily I haven't had many rides at WDW ruined by people taking pictures with a flash on. However, I do find it hilarious when people pull out a giant iPad or some other tablet to start taking pictures or video (it's funny when they decide to take a selfie and get annoyed if you make your way in the picture if you are behind them).

I used to have a folder with quite a few photos of people's extremely shocked faces as I got off of rides, stepped in front of them and took a flash photo. I love how upset and indignant they got when I did it. Nearly every time I have been on a dark ride at Disney there has been some idiot snapping away with a flash, or sitting there with their cell phone/tablet held up recording the entire ride. Like I've said before I also carry a small LED flashlight that emits a tight beam. That gets shined in people's faces when they use flashes after they are politely asked to cease the behavior.

Scooter

I'm glad I had my smartphone when I was able to record the Osborn Spectacle of Lights because they're gone now. It's all about common sense people. Don't walk and text at the same time. Don't record shows when you're indoors, and don't hold your phone or tablet up if it's going to block someone elses view. Reading your phone while in a quque line doesn't offend me but if I can't see the show because of the bright lights reflecting off your tablet or phone screen then you're gonna hear about it.

G00fyDad

As someone who is 5'2, I find iPads EXTREMELY annoying. Last year I could barely see Wishes, due to a man holding an iPad in the air to record every single minute. And this man had to be at least 6ft :mad:

That is a whole other issue. LOL I am 6'4" and I will always move to the back so I am behind people when viewing something like this while standing. I know there are shorter people behind me that don't want a sasquatch standing in front of them. But if I am sitting and waiting for a parade.... oh well. That person should have gotten there before me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom