An interesting documentary on the making of Expedition Everest

mergatroid

Original Poster
Watched this for the first time today and found it really interesting. I love stuff like this and found it fascinating seeing the inside structure of the mountain lit up and how they overcame the scaffolding problems when building it. And yes you see the working Yeti and how it works (or used to), the whole show really is a good watch :cool:

KikoKea

Interesting. Wish all the effects were working now. I remember being so disappointed when we rode it for the first time. Hardly a glimpse of the much-hyped Yeti and it barely moved. But, I do like the roller coaster part.

Chef Mickey

Imagine getting a ride this detailed and amazing today? Oh wait, current leadership will only re-themes old attractions or build a "lite" version (with shortened track, fewer show scenes) of what was originally a great idea.

Even without a working Yeti, Everest is the best attraction we've gotten in the last 10 years, by far.

Incomudro

Imagine getting a ride this detailed and amazing today? Oh wait, current leadership will only re-themes old attractions or build a "lite" version (with shortened track, fewer show scenes) of what was originally a great idea.

Even without a working Yeti, Everest is the best attraction we've gotten in the last 10 years, by far.

Yeah, 'cause it's not like they're building Avatar and Star Wars lands or anything...

Cmdr_Crimson

Will never see him looking this good for a looong time........Unless Pandora distracts guests...
tumblr_nq7g05OFWc1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Were just going to get used to seeing him get his Disco Moves on instead..
A7RdS.gif

Chef Mickey

Yeah, 'cause it's not like they're building Avatar and Star Wars lands or anything...
Yeah, jury is still out or have you already ridden those attractions? I didn't know we were counting unfinished and unknown rides yet. Let me just say Iger's resume thus far is over promise and under deliver, consistently producing underwhelming attractions.

I hope you're right, but I think it's fool's gold to hope any of the new development will be Everest. I hope I'm wrong. No one loves Disney more than me and I'd love a TRUE E-ticket to be built on Iger's watch, but we've yet to see it.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I may be in the minority, but I've ridden him when he moved and to be honest, you hardly realized he moved with how fast you go through that room. I'd love for him to move again, but I don't think we're missing all that much.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I agree with you on this. Rode it when it was working fully and afterwards thought "Was that it?" because I went by so fast it was all a bit of a blur. In fact the first time I rode it not working, I didn't notice the difference.

However respecting the vast majorities views, a lot of folk say it ruins their enjoyment greatly so I do feel sorry for them if that is the case. Personally I love the speed, feel and visual aspect so much, as I pass the yeti I'm more interested in seeing if the line's short so I can ride again straight away than I am looking at him (or her). But each to their own on that viewpoint.

Incomudro

d
Yeah, jury is still out or have you already ridden those attractions? I didn't know we were counting unfinished and unknown rides yet. Let me just say Iger's resume thus far is over promise and under deliver, consistently producing underwhelming attractions.

I hope you're right, but I think it's fool's gold to hope any of the new development will be Everest. I hope I'm wrong. No one loves Disney more than me and I'd love a TRUE E-ticket to be built on Iger's watch, but we've yet to see it.

You said "The current leadership only re-themes old attractions or build lite versions of what was originally a great idea".
Avatar and Star Wars are certainly not re-themes.
As for 'lite" versions, every version of everything underwent revisions from original concept.
Jungle Cruise was originally envisioned with live animals.
I can only imagine what 20k was envisioned to be like vs what was installed.

Chef Mickey

d

You said "The current leadership only re-themes old attractions or build lite versions of what was originally a great idea".
Avatar and Star Wars are certainly not re-themes.
As for 'lite" versions, every version of everything underwent revisions from original concept.
Jungle Cruise was originally envisioned with live animals.
I can only imagine what 20k was envisioned to be like vs what was installed.
Yeah, I'm not counting anything new until it's done and we've seen them in reality. Then I'll give them credit for a non re-theme. Remember, I also said "Lite" versions which is STILL a possibility if we end up getting lesser Avatar and Star Wars Lands.

I consider this to be a possibility given the track record.

If Everest, Splash, Tower of Terror, RnR, etc were Lite versions, they are still better than anything Iger's team produced.

The Tuna

I missed him the first time I rode you go by so quickly. The movement once I picked up on it was good, but not a deal breaker. The ride is still fun. Unfortunately they built something with other structures built around it and the base didn't hold up.

ChristianG

I may be in the minority, but I've ridden him when he moved and to be honest, you hardly realized he moved with how fast you go through that room. I'd love for him to move again, but I don't think we're missing all that much.
I'm mad that they turned off all of the lights in that room once the Yeti broke down and added the strobe. Since you go by so quickly it's hard to tell whats there in the first place. Now with a pitch black room and only a strobe light on the Yeti it's basically impossible to tell what you're looking at.

Hopefully when/if they finally fix that beast they add some trim brakes or something before that tunnel (if there aren't some already) so people can get a better glance at it. I know trim brakes are universally hated in the roller coaster world, but it's not like that one part of the ride is praised for its speed.

Chef Mickey

I think you are in the minority and you've forgotten how incredible it was when he moved. It was only working a short time so probably 90% of people never saw it.

Chef Mickey

Based on this documentary, the Yeti didn't come into the mountain until after it was completely built? Unless the documentatory is just out of sequence? It seems to me they put this thing in with the mountain completely built.

This dubunks a theory that they "can't" fix it because they've have to take the mountain apart. I've always said that seems wrong and anything can be done with the will to actually fix it properly.

Look at 38:26

They are installing the Yeti with the mountain assembled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom