An interesting documentary on the making of Expedition Everest

mergatroid

Original Poster
Based on this documentary, the Yeti didn't come into the mountain until after it was completely built? Unless the documentatory is just out of sequence? It seems to me they put this thing in with the mountain completely built.

This dubunks a theory that they "can't" fix it because they've have to take the mountain apart. I've always said that seems wrong and anything can be done with the will to actually fix it properly.

I think they left an opening in the wall to fit the yeti in when building the attraction and then 'walled it in' once it was fitted? If so they would have to remove part of the mountain to take it out?

pax_65

I always tell people... the first time I rode Expedition Everest, when the Yeti was working, I DUCKED and was legitimately scared that the Yeti was going to take my head off. I've ridden coasters all over the place, and I've never been experienced anything like that.

With "Disco Yeti" it's still a good ride and the encounter with the Yeti is still exciting, but it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the same experience.

fractal

I always tell people... the first time I rode Expedition Everest, when the Yeti was working, I DUCKED and was legitimately scared that the Yeti was going to take my head off. I've ridden coasters all over the place, and I've never been experienced anything like that.

With "Disco Yeti" it's still a good ride and the encounter with the Yeti is still exciting, but it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the same experience.

Absolutely 100% agree and I had the same experience.

Never rode anything as an adult that made me suspend disbelief as much.

Chef Mickey

Is the real issue that it can't run safely in its current state due to its platform being weakened by its movement?

From my understanding, they'll run it in A-Mode for "Special" guests, indicating it still works. If they can somehow strengthen its "foundation," it would seem the mechanics all work fine. Don't know how simple/complex it is, but Disney could figure it out.

Chef Mickey

By the way, this is old, but for you fans out there:

Joe Rohde quoted at 2013 D23 Expo:

"You have to understand, it’s a giant complicated machine sitting on top of, like, a 46 foot tall tower in the middle of a finished building. So, it’s really hard to fix, but we are working on it. And we continue to work on it. We have tried several “things”, none of them quite get to the key, turning of the 40 foot tower inside of a finished building, but we are working on it….. I will fix the Yeti someday, I swear."

chiefs11

Is the real issue that it can't run safely in its current state due to its platform being weakened by its movement?

From my understanding, they'll run it in A-Mode for "Special" guests, indicating it still works.
If they can somehow strengthen its "foundation," it would seem the mechanics all work fine. Don't know how simple/complex it is, but Disney could figure it out.
I find that very hard to believe and seems like an "urban legend".

As to the removal of the Yeti, it can and has been removed and put back at least once (in 2007 I think it was).. I get so tired of reading about having to tear the mountain apart to get it out. This has been reported many times by people who would know. Also, the strobe lights fool so many people into thinking they saw it move, they just aren't really motivated to spend the money to fix it, even if J.R. really wants to.

pax_65

Also, the strobe lights fool so many people into thinking they saw it move, they just aren't really motivated to spend the money to fix it, even if J.R. really wants to.

This is true! I got into an argument with a friend of mine about whether the Yeti moves. I even sent her the documentary video on this thread so she could see what "A mode" really looks like. She insisted the ride was in "A mode" right now.

People who never saw "A mode" or don't remember it have no idea what they're missing. It's frustrating because it allows Disney to get away with "bad show" instead of fixing the ride to be the way it was supposed to be. I think this is why the Yeti has become symbolic of what's wrong with Disney - profit over quality, etc.

lazyboy97o

I find that very hard to believe and seems like an "urban legend".

As to the removal of the Yeti, it can and has been removed and put back at least once (in 2007 I think it was).. I get so tired of reading about having to tear the mountain apart to get it out. This has been reported many times by people who would know. Also, the strobe lights fool so many people into thinking they saw it move, they just aren't really motivated to spend the money to fix it, even if J.R. really wants to.
There seems to be a very deep desire for the reasons to not fix the figure to be truly extraordinary.

Although the damaged foundation one is an odd contradiction, as it means that Disney is willing to actively our guests in a dangerous situation.

ScarletBegonias

Will never see him looking this good for a looong time........Unless Pandora distracts guests...
tumblr_nq7g05OFWc1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Were just going to get used to seeing him get his Disco Moves on instead..
A7RdS.gif

I've never seen the working Yeti.. This is terrifying!

Incomudro

As impressive as this AA is, and it's a great one - this image is composed of an edit of two shots.
It's largely swinging down at the train with its right arm.
The movement is very realistic, especially given the size of it, and the movement of the hair accentuates the actual movement.
Having said that, I can imagine a current rider who never saw the Yeti in full action mode believing that the strobe lit Yeti is still moving, and I can imagine a rider of 'yore missing the Yeti because the train is pretty much racing past it.

KikoKea

I'm thinking they just don't want to put the $$ into fixing it, after it being down for so long and people ride EE anyway. Rather embarrassing after the big hype, so they'd rather it be forgotten. But, it's a cool Yeti and I wish it was lit better and easier to see...even if it isn't moving.

worldfanatic

Joe Rohde quoted at 2013 D23 Expo:

"You have to understand, it’s a giant complicated machine sitting on top of, like, a 46 foot tall tower in the middle of a finished building. So, it’s really hard to fix, but we are working on it. And we continue to work on it. We have tried several “things”, none of them quite get to the key, turning of the 40 foot tower inside of a finished building, but we are working on it….. I will fix the Yeti someday, I swear."

Thank you for this.
Sorry Guys, I tend to believe Joe Rohde over those with zero inside information who think there's some kind of ridiculous conspiracy about fixing the Yeti.

EE is an amazing ride without a working Yeti, and obviously even better if it's functioning.
Disney knows this.
And as Joe said, they want to fix it.
It's just not easy, especially in a Park with limited E-tickets to pick up the slack.
I expect it may well be addressed after Avatar opens.
Joe-800x400.jpg

chiefs11

Thank you for this.
Sorry Guys, I tend to believe Joe Rohde over those with zero inside information who think there's some kind of ridiculous conspiracy about fixing the Yeti.

EE is an amazing ride without a working Yeti, and obviously even better if it's functioning.
Disney knows this.
It's just not easy, especially in a Park with limited E-tickets to pick up the slack.
Well, to be honest, the truth probably lies somewhere in between. It is a fact that the Yeti has been removed and put back without taking the ride down for a refurb. So if it were an easy/cheap fix, I'm sure it could have been done already. But what do you really expect him to say? He isn't going to say, "Half the people that ride don't even see the Yeti or think they saw it move, so we're just not going to bother." I am pretty sure by this point Rohde knows exactly what is wrong with it and what it would take to fix it. I'm also pretty sure he is sincere and really does want it fixed, and yet it still hasn't happened. If I recall, one of the issues involved was who was going to pay to fix it....wdi or wdw/ak.

BEARSHOUSE4

Thank you for this.

Disney knows this.
View attachment 148786

worldfanatic

I am pretty sure by this point Rohde knows exactly what is wrong with it and what it would take to fix it. I'm also pretty sure he is sincere and really does want it fixed, and yet it still hasn't happened.

Agree 100%.
And I'm convinced the fix hasn't happened due to AK capacity concerns, not Disney being "cheap".
Joe Rohde is no pencil sharpening accountant. He, more than any person on Earth, wants Animal Kingdom to be the absolute best it can be.
But when the few other "major attractions" at AK can't eat up enough guests to make up for the huge numbers Expedition Everest goes through daily, and the EE fix is going to take some time........you have to wait.
I'll eat my words if Pandora opens successfully and we hear nothing on EE going down for repairs within 6 months.
But I'm confident I won't have to.

lazyboy97o

Thank you for this.

Disney knows this.
View attachment 148786
Agree 100%.
And I'm convinced the fix hasn't happened due to AK capacity concerns, not Disney being "cheap".
Joe Rohde is no pencil sharpening accountant. He, more than any person on Earth, wants Animal Kingdom to be the absolute best it can be.
But when the few other "major attractions" at AK can't eat up enough guests to make up for the huge numbers Expedition Everest goes through daily, and the EE fix is going to take some time........you have to wait.
I'll eat my words if Pandora opens successfully and we hear nothing on EE going down for repairs within 6 months.
But I'm confident I won't have to.
Joe Rhode has no actual say in whether or not the figure gets fixed. He could want t fixed more than anything in the world and it doesn't actually matter. You're just ignoring facts of the figure having been removed and the organizational structure of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom