Bob Iger on CNBC/SDL Opening News thread

WDW1974

Original Poster
One wonders if Iron Man's opening got pushed back to keep attention on Shanghai.

Not sure. But it definitely has been taking quite a while for an attraction that isn't groundbreaking.

And you don't even hear about anything going on there ... like this week the Hyperspace Mountain overlay starts ... and they have Chewbacca taking over the Stitch Encounter and using that tech for a show ... it's like that resort doesn't even exist.

brb1006

In case you you can't be in China next week, Disney will make sure you get plenty of Shanghai coverage:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...-opening-becomes-tv-event-20160609-story.html

And if you decide to visit DLR on the 16th ... you can ...you can ... enjoy some pork buns (at American prices) and get a free button (or 111 to place on eBay):

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ebrate-the-opening-of-shanghai-disney-resort/
Who else is going to watch it next week?

brb1006

Not sure. But it definitely has been taking quite a while for an attraction that isn't groundbreaking.

And you don't even hear about anything going on there ... like this week the Hyperspace Mountain overlay starts ... and they have Chewbacca taking over the Stitch Encounter and using that tech for a show ... it's like that resort doesn't even exist.
I hardly heard much about the 10th Anniversary for Hong Kong last year besides PTN debuting a year before Disneyland's 60th.

Phil12

Some early thoughts after watching coverage thus far:

Bob Iger hasn't learned a thing about tempering his arrogance. That might be endearing on Wall Street, but it doesn't play as well in China. Oh, and there are a few analysts who aren't feeling the love for Bob or the company right now.

While early visitors seem to like the park, there are lots of complaints from food prices (Shanghai isn't like any other market Disney has opened in) to waits (watched a Bloomberg report with a woman talking about waiting two hours for a turkey leg and numerous people complaining about waits for attractions). Yes, it would appear the park is woefully short of people-eaters (like a certain Spirit has been saying). I guess we know what those huge walkways are for: frustrated visitors.

Disney is sending loads of western media from the entertainment and business sectors, as well as celebrities, over to Shanghai. Apparently, the government has been told that Shanghai as a tourist destination (not simply SDL) will be played up earning the official seal of approval.

The one thing I see that I expected -- and love -- is the level of detailing that Bob Weis and his team put into the park. Obviously, far more will miss all of it or most of it, than even WDW Guests ... but that isn't why it is there. Detailing is what made Disney the leader in the business for decades.
Sounds very much like the opening of Disneyland back in 1955.

No Name

Wrong forum. People should come to the Shanghai forum if they really care.

The TV coverage is a great idea. I'm glad they're doing that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of advertising.

I also think that the park is great and will succeed. What I really worry for is HKDL. Since SDL is a much bigger and stronger park, I feel that HKDL's attendance will slide even further.

brb1006

Wrong forum. People should come to the Shanghai forum if they really care.

The TV coverage is a great idea. I'm glad they're doing that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of advertising.

I also think that the park is great and will succeed. What I really worry for is HKDL. Since SDL is a much bigger and stronger park, I feel that HKDL's attendance will slide even further.
I hope it won't be like the Disneyland 60th special however.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom