Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Matt_Black

Green Lantern was more of a victim of the Ryan Reynolds movie. That movie was such a massive failure that it poisoned the well and neither toymakers nor stores were willing to give stocking merchandise of the characters another shot.

I'd also argue Avatar's a bad example seeing as the Mattel toyline for the original show went to great awkward lengths to avoid making toys of any female characters in favor of churning out Aang and Sokka variants. Not to mention Korra got thrown into bad time slots and eventually booted off network broadcasting in favor of an online only release. And that's not even getting into how the Shyamalan movie killed the idea of doing "Zuko's mom" and "Iroh's backstory" TV movies.

Still doesn't account for the very popular and critically acclaimed Young Justice.

Soarin' Over Pgh

IMO, this is the "lesson" WDW learned from Frozen and Big Hero 6. Frozen was so popular it cost WDW in lots of unexpected labor, needing a bigger location and more girls. BH6 was supposed to end at a certain date, and they were "forced" to keep it around longer. So to make sure you don't have unplanned increased operational expenses, don't do M&Gs. So no Inside Out, and no Zootopia.

Or, set the bar higher and adjust for M&Gs with the possibility of a movie becoming increasingly popular and be prepared for it.

They lost out big time on a Frozen rush- could you imagine if there were M&Gs and a dedicated parade, or heaven forbid a brand new ride (even an A ticket!) how much $$$$$$$$ that would have racked in for the parks alone? Disneyland and WDW commercials, advertising the "brand new Frozen parade!" or what have you- every little kid would have lost their mind and begged Mom/Dad to go see the Mouse.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it's lazy to simply say NO to M&Gs for new characters where the attitude should be the total opposite. It's basically free advertising!

Matt_Black

Or, set the bar higher and adjust for M&Gs with the possibility of a movie becoming increasingly popular and be prepared for it.

They lost out big time on a Frozen rush- could you imagine if there were M&Gs and a dedicated parade, or heaven forbid a brand new ride (even an A ticket!) how much $$$$$$$$ that would have racked in for the parks alone? Disneyland and WDW commercials, advertising the "brand new Frozen parade!" or what have you- every little kid would have lost their mind and begged Mom/Dad to go see the Mouse.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it's lazy to simply say NO to M&Gs for new characters where the attitude should be the total opposite. It's basically free advertising!

I'll forgive them being unprepared for Frozen. Certainly, the fan reactions to the early trailers and promotional trailers were mixed at best. Nobody expected Frozen to be as huge as it was.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'll forgive them being unprepared for Frozen. Certainly, the fan reactions to the early trailers and promotional trailers were mixed at best. Nobody expected Frozen to be as huge as it was.

...Ok, I see your point, and I'll let it go (....) with Frozen.

HOWEVER the commercials did not reflect the movie and weren't the best promotional material they could have used. That said, they really could have put some faith in their animators- it's a beautifully done film. They should have seen that.

FigmentJedi

There is a very good chance that adults who watch cartoons are going to buy the toys. When pressed, they'll say it's for decor or collectability, and not to play with.
They probably would if they were of decent quality. The Young Justice toyline was all sorts of poorly made, limited articulation, gimmicky garbage. Kids didn't want the toys and neither did older fans.
And really, all of Cartoon Network's action show failures are related to crappy toylines or toylines that never started. Secret Saturdays bombed so hard I was seeing the toys several years after the show ended at the local ToysRUs (which guess what, avoided making a figure of the mom and just gave her sword to her son). Generator Rex only got its brief crappy toy lifeline based on the Ben 10 connection. Sym-Bionic Titan was cancelled specifically because Genndy refused to make it a Ben 10 clone in favor of the "Breakfast Club with robots" tone even though a show about giant robots punching monsters is about as toyetic as you can get.

brb1006

...Ok, I see your point, and I'll let it go (....) with Frozen.

HOWEVER the commercials did not reflect the movie and weren't the best promotional material they could have used. That said, they really could have put some faith in their animators- it's a beautifully done film. They should have seen that.
I remember seeing most of the Frozen commercials were focused on Olaf.

This video even makes fun of Olaf getting the most focus for the advertisements for Frozen and its trailers.

Rodan75

I kinda find it hilarious that we are talking about Disney's failure to quickly synergize their new and upcoming films in the parks, when it appears that the whole ascension of Chapek was rumored to be because Chapek was so successful at synergizing the movies/TV Shows into DCP that he was brought it to do the same at Parks and Resorts.

1. I agree that Parks & Resorts has fallen into a rut when it comes to promoting new movies. Not everything should be given only a meet and greet opportunity.
2. Sometimes there is a business reason for that, movies move on shorter cycles than the Parks. (if someone throws up that stupid Bizness meme...so help me...ugh) And it is rare that a movie becomes culturally resonant for more than the 6 week promotional cycle. (The Last Dinosaur is a great example)
3. However, Parks is too slow to capitalize on an opportunity when a movie does hit it out of the park. Zootopia is an international hit, there should be big tie ins, to drive incremental business and DCP opportunity. Ditto with Inside Out. And Jungle Book looks like it is going to be a monster, critical reviews are amazing, buzz is building and 1 week out...where is the Parks presence.

Chapek might have been brought in to make the Parks more synergistic, but so far he is falling down on the job. Low Capital/Operational expense experiences could have be churned out. Those experiences could be unique and cost effective enough to be bridging the 'Shanghai Budget Gap'...but nothing is happening.

Folks may hate him because he is rumored to be bringing the efficiency axe down on the Parks, but shareholders should be calling for his head because he isn't operationalizing these event movies. Horn is setting them up, Chapek is striking out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
IMO, this is the "lesson" WDW learned from Frozen and Big Hero 6. Frozen was so popular it cost WDW in lots of unexpected labor, needing a bigger location and more girls. BH6 was supposed to end at a certain date, and they were "forced" to keep it around longer. So to make sure you don't have unplanned increased operational expenses, don't do M&Gs. So no Inside Out, and no Zootopia.

Those unplanned expenses are the synergy which drives the franchise, Unfortunately the cost accountants which run WDW don't understand that.

hopemax

I totally agree that the attitude should be opposite. But somewhere there is a manager who is being judged on his department's ability to meet operational expenses and revenues. And some departments don't have revenue streams, or their associated revenues get measured by some other department. M&Gs that underperform (not a long enough line for them) or overperform (increased associated labor/facility costs) can mess with meeting those targets and therefore that manager's bonus and career prospects. So for someone looking for predicatability and stability, just avoid adding new ones and wait until the level of demand is "proven." Also, theoretically, the manager in charge of Photopass/Memory Maker may be the one getting the kudos because of thousands of increased sales of Anna/Elsa/Baymax photos. For the character manager it's a potential lose-lose situation, you get dinged for the cost someone else gets kudos for the revenue. But such is what happens when everyplace has to be independently measured, and not taking account the synergistic value across departments. Guests view WDW as one big pie, for the business-end WDW is a bunch of individual departments who have to each prove their own worth

Those unplanned expenses are the synergy which drives the franchise, Unfortunately the cost accountants which run WDW don't understand that.

Bingo.

Soarin' Over Pgh

There should be no nostalgia for synergy. It was the start of the sorry state of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and its creative bankruptcy. Waxing nostalgic only reinforces the view that theme parks are for brand-obsessed idiots.

Personally speaking, I'm only waxing nostalgic over the new, changing, creative, fun, and exciting new offerings that were truly 'limited time' and constantly rotated and changed.

I'm not from California. As I child we didn't visit often. But every time we did (distant family lives there) I remember going to Disneyland and catching something new for a new movie and then wanting to see that movie. Many times my and my cousins whining was so relentless that we were taken to the movie to shut us up.

That's what I miss. Not that it was a slippery slope into creative bankruptcy, but that the higher ups trusted their brand and their animators. Not their accountants. That's all.

Edit.... Sorry, this got so far off topic.

lazyboy97o

Personally speaking, I'm only waxing nostalgic over the new, changing, creative, fun, and exciting new offerings that were truly 'limited time' and constantly rotated and changed.

I'm not from California. As I child we didn't visit often. But every time we did (distant family lives there) I remember going to Disneyland and catching something new for a new movie and then wanting to see that movie. Many times my and my cousins whining was so relentless that we were taken to the movie to shut us up.

That's what I miss. Not that it was a slippery slope into creative bankruptcy, but that the higher ups trusted their brand and their animators. Not their accountants. That's all.

Edit.... Sorry, this got so far off topic.
They didn't trust their brand. They thought of the theme parks as a lesser medium that could not stand on their own. Same view as today.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Lets face it the US Frozen trailers were bloody awful the ones in Japan were far better. I don't understand why Disney media people think low comedy is the only thing people look for. Compare the Frozen trailers to the secret life of Pets trailers yes there is low comedy there (The wiener dog and the kitchen aid mixer) but lots of other stuff like the standard poodle changing from vivaldi to head banger music as soon as the owner leaves.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Well, they're better at it than other companies. Look at Cartoon Network's handling of the Young Justice & Green Lantern animated series. CN, WB animation, and DC Comics are all owned by the same people, so you'd think there would have been better communication in that scenario.
You brought back bad memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom