Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Mike S

In 1906, The Handsome Mustachioed Gentlemen's Barbershop Quartet released their hit single, "Excuse Me Madam, But Would You Be So Kind As To Allow Me To Take a Gander At Those Ankles?", a song considered so lewd for the day that it caused many a monocle to fly off in shock.
image.png

As much as I couldn't care less about hip hop it's not the only genre to bring up those subjects. One of my favorite songs is a little diddy called "22 Acacia Avenue."

MuteSuperstar

The question there is can WDI even do that these days

I have very little confidence. And I say this as someone who still finds the CircleVision movies pretty enthralling. Talk about something that was ahead of its time. I hope they finally at least manage to top Spider-Man with some of the new stuff, but it's very sad that the bar is so low that we are hoping they eclipse something that was built in 1999.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have very little confidence. And I say this as someone who still finds the CircleVision movies pretty enthralling. Talk about something that was ahead of its time. I hope they finally at least manage to top Spider-Man with some of the new stuff, but it's very sad that the bar is so low that we are hoping they eclipse something that was built in 1999.

CircleVision from a techical PoV is frigging amazing multiple projectors electro-mechanically synchronized nowadays that's called mechatronics but what an achievement for the time. CircleVision was truly a technical tour de force for it's time.

Donaldfan1934

The key is it was NOT built today and UNI will refresh as necessary, Heck right now they are working on rebuilding Hulk from the ground up, Skull Island Kong and rumors abound about HP Phase III i.e. Ministry of Magic and Jurassic Park upgrades.

I'm not a UNI 'Wand Waver' but UNI is doing more just keeping things 'Fresh' than Disney is doing to enhance their experience at WDW nearly everything is stale and old and predates the 'Super Hero Island'.
Depends on where you look. The Magic Kingdom has a few rides like Space Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, and the Enchanted Tiki Room among others that need massive refurbs and aren't getting them, but on the other hand, the very dated DHS is getting a complete redo. It all depends on where and what you look at in any theme park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Depends on where you look. The Magic Kingdom has a few rides like Space Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, and the Enchanted Tiki Room among others that need massive refurbs and aren't getting them, but I think that the park as a whole is in decent shape. On the other hand, the very dated DHS is getting a complete redo. It all depends on where and what you look at in any theme park.

Considering that major rides going 101 in the MK for mechanical failures is a daily occurence these days where it used to be the exception to the rule I'd say everything needs a refurb there

Quinnmac000

Other insiders and fan sites don't seem to have much on that rumor. Also, my entire point was that Universal would've done something with it 2-3 years ago if something was happening. I'm can't say that it 100% won't happen, I'm just saying that it seems less likely since it's taken them so long.

Insiders and fan sites also said Universal was never getting Nintendo theme park rights for years and then out of nowhere, Nintendo broke the news. Universal is loud mouthed about some things and really quiet about others and just because someone on the forums isn't talking doesn't mean things aren't happening behind closed doors.

You keep changing goal posts to try to discredit someone in very high regards who would know information about it and should honestly be trusted when saying its going to happen as they are in the know.

MuteSuperstar

CircleVision was truly a technical tour de force for it's time.

It really was, and still is to me, and I hope they stay at Epcot forever, with occasional tasteful updates (these were among the very very very few attraction updates that were done over the past decade that actually turned out to be a positive, though I was fine with the old versions too). I guess my point is, do an attraction right the first time, with an eye towards truly innovating and wowing guests, instead of settling for "good enough for the rubes", and you will have something that stands the test of time and doesn't get grossly outdated. The "good enough" mentality seems to be the MO at WDW for at least the past 10 years or so, and it stinks.

Matt_Black

Since the day it was first created.

Yep, Even 'Walk This Way' from RUN DMC/Aerosmith is a bit raunchy, What passes for 'hip hop' these days is all about violence, The style itself is not inherently bad but it's practitioners advocate all the worst aspects of humanity.

Nobody, but NOBODY, had better be talking smack about Run-D.M.C. in my presence!

And regarding the raunchy lyrics, that was all Aerosmith. It's cute though that you tried to make it seem like it was because of hip-hop.

Finally, regarding the practitioners and worst aspects of humanity, well, take a gander at this...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nobody, but NOBODY, had better be talking smack about Run-D.M.C. in my presence!

And regarding the raunchy lyrics, that was all Aerosmith. It's cute though that you tried to make it seem like it was because of hip-hop.

Finally, regarding the practitioners and worst aspects of humanity, well, take a gander at this...

RUN D.M.C. happens to be a favorite of mine BTW, And yes the raunchy in video was all Aerosmith but to be fair we have to take the product as a whole.

Quinnmac000

What passes for 'hip hop' these days is all about violence, The style itself is not inherently bad but it's practitioners advocate all the worst aspects of humanity.

I disagree with the hip hop being about violence because you have mess like this which is so annoying it could make people be so violent to break their radios. But thats getting offtopic

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It really was, and still is to me, and I hope they stay at Epcot forever, with occasional tasteful updates (these were among the very very very few attraction updates that were done over the past decade that actually turned out to be a positive, though I was fine with the old versions too). I guess my point is, do an attraction right the first time, with an eye towards truly innovating and wowing guests, instead of settling for "good enough for the rubes", and you will have something that stands the test of time and doesn't get grossly outdated. The "good enough" mentality seems to be the MO at WDW for at least the past 10 years or so, and it stinks.

Exactly - If you shoot for the stars you will create something that stands the test of time, It's the 'Good Enough' which makes me sick.

Mike S

Incredibly entertaining. Thanks for that.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Understandable. Although Haunted Mansion has been kept in great shape. So have Splash Mountain and POTC since their big refurbs.

At the HM most of that is because the HM regular CM's are incredibly protective of their attraction, At Splash well - right now there are discussions how the logs smell like mildew and how people are finding half eaten food in them as well :hungover::hungover::hungover::hungover:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The thing about an Avengers attraction is that I have not heard anything of it anywhere but on this forum. Not that I don believe that they have tried in the past, it just seem unlikely considering all of the other stuff they have or are heavily rumored to have planned. If they're at the mercy of Marvel, they must have found some sort of loophole. For example, maybe Universal wanted all of the actors, but Marvel deemed it "unreasonable". We can argue over contract specifics all day, but I'm sticking by my theory that Universal would've done it in some form by now even if they could only use the comic book versions.

This thread over at Orlando United has some discussion of it...

http://forums.orlandounited.com/threads/mshi-expansion.9040/

doctornick

Question that has probably been addressed but I'm too lazy to check: would (or could) a Universal Avengers ride borrow the likeness and actors of the MCU (RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, etc)?

They certainly could, but would need to get a new deal with Marvel Studios to do so (and obviously, would have to contract with the actors themselves for the likeness). Now, I personally believe such discussions and agreements have already happened and have paved the way for the Avengers ride (and perhaps the re-do of the Hulk going on). But I don't think that Uni could simply unilaterally utilize new/updated versions of the characters that didn't exist at the time of the original contract.

If you don't think this is the case, then could they use the Fox developed versions of the X-Men or Sony's developed Spider-Man in their rides without specifically contracting with those studios?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom