Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

dreamscometrue

You think I defend everything Disney does and I DO NOT. I still think that you say things like those above and have no facts what so every to base them on is irresponsible. The real effect of these cuts has still not be felt in the Parks yet and you are talking about what is next. I believe that Disney did not put enough money into the parks in the last ten years, but I am now seeing major investment in Walt Disney World. There may be some short term problems and I hate to see anyone lose their job or have their hours cut, but I think if Disney continues to invest in new rides such as they are doing with Avatar, improvements in Disney Springs, and adding new lands such as Star Wars/Toy Story they may be able to turn it around. If improvements do not continue then I will be one of the first to jump on the band wagon and complain. Again lets wait and see what is happening.
I see this to be a small setback in an upward, improved, overall trend that started about 3 years ago and I expect to continue until at least 2021. Before anyone jumps on this comment, I ask you to be objective.

From the time I joined these boards in 2005, and for several years thereafter, a large number of threads on here (and many members) were critical of the condition of, and lack of investment in, WDW. (Remember Kevin Yee's 'Gum on Splash Mountain' thread :)). Although I always had a great time on my WDW vacations, there clearly were a large number of attractions that needed significant refurbs. Also, with a focus on DCL ships and a very necessary DCA makeover, WDW saw the addition of only TSMM and the start of New Fantasyland in the 7-8 years after the last major attractions, Soarin' and Expedition Everest.

However, anyone who frequents these boards, and has done so for the past 8-10 years can't deny that things have improved significantly, since about the time of the wonderful Splash Mountain refurb in early 2013. Although not at the level of 25 years ago, generally the refurbs have been much better (Splash, Pirates, BTMRR, Dinosaur, etc) and there has been a significant investment in the parks with such projects as Disney Springs, M.K. hub redo, finishing NFL, the new FoF parade, new lasers, etc for RoE, proper facade refurbs, new lighting for Fantasmic!, the demise of the B.A.H., a refresh of the GMR and spires again, Test Track 2.0 makeover, Harambe Theater, Harambe Market, the Adventureland veranda being a restaurant again, Soarin' Over the World, Frozen Ever After, Symphony in the Stars fireworks, and of course, Rivers of Light, the night safari, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land and whatever may come of 'phases 3 and 4', and rumored money for Epcot, Frontierland and Tomorrowland before 2021.

If you've actually been posting or lurking for years, I guarantee that if you look at the threads on here since late 2012 or so, they have been moving overwhelmingly toward the positive.

wogwog

Yikes. That sounds pretty serious. Are Disney's financials really that bad that these kind of cutbacks are merited?

It almost reminds me of the years I spent in Boston. I feel like every year we went through the same show with the MBTA (Boston's transit authority) - either prices/taxes had to go up to cover costs or we would lose 20 bus routes, commuter rails on weekends, etc. Even though I'm sure the MBTA's numbers were indeed awful, something about it felt like extortion - "Either pay up or the first thing to go will be services!" The weird thing is, there's no reason I can see for Disney to cut services first, as it's not like they're trying to make customers feel the pain so they'll lobby the government for more subsidies. It doesn't make any sense. Is there really nothing else that could've been cut before cutting front line services?
Iger.

Mike S

I see this to be a small setback in an upward, improved, overall trend that started about 3 years ago and I expect to continue until at least 2021. Before anyone jumps on this comment, I ask you to be objective.

From the time I joined these boards in 2005, and for several years thereafter, a large number of threads on here (and many members) were critical of the condition of, and lack of investment in, WDW. (Remember Kevin Yee's 'Gum on Splash Mountain' thread :)). Although I always had a great time on my WDW vacations, there clearly were a large number of attractions that needed significant refurbs. Also, with a focus on DCL ships and a very necessary DCA makeover, WDW saw the addition of only TSMM and the start of New Fantasyland in the 7-8 years after the last major attractions, Soarin' and Expedition Everest.

However, anyone who frequents these boards, and has done so for the past 8-10 years can't deny that things have improved significantly, since about the time of the wonderful Splash Mountain refurb in early 2013. Although not at the level of 25 years ago, generally the refurbs have been much better (Splash, Pirates, BTMRR, Dinosaur, etc) and there has been a significant investment in the parks with such projects as Disney Springs, M.K. hub redo, finishing NFL, the new FoF parade, new lasers, etc for RoE, proper facade refurbs, new lighting for Fantasmic!, the demise of the B.A.H., a refresh of the GMR and spires again, Test Track 2.0 makeover, Harambe Theater, Harambe Market, the Adventureland veranda being a restaurant again, Soarin' Over the World, Frozen Ever After, Symphony in the Stars fireworks, and of course, Rivers of Light, the night safari, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land and whatever may come of 'phases 3 and 4', and rumored money for Epcot, Frontierland and Tomorrowland before 2021.

If you've actually been posting or lurking for years, I guarantee that if you look at the threads on here since late 2012 or so, they have been moving overwhelmingly toward the positive.
If the cast cuts continue through all of that the Disney experience could still be extremely low standard. Avatar could be as amazing as WDI can make it (it better be with how over budget it is!!!) but the experience will be diminished if it's severely understaffed due to these cuts when it opens next year.

WDW1974

Just a quick followup on a point @Lee posted and I extrapolated on, but word from very well-placed folks came in this evening (yes, I am living the life of a true Faux Top One Percenter in Europe right now) that backed up the chatter that more than Chappie laying down the law and certainly much more than anything happening with ESPN or DLP, these cuts are all related to two factors. Just two:

1.) Shanghai Disneyland (AKA Bob Iger's biggest Legacy project, followed by Lucasfilm and Marvel) is an over budget disaster that keeps getting worse and eating money more than the typical O-Town fanboi living off of Mommy and Daddy's money. And beyond opening, this park has a guaranteed Phase II coming that hasn't been budgeted or paid for yet and,
2.) MM+ is an unmitigated failure. Don't care one iota whether you like your MAGIC Bands or if they made your sixth WDW resort stay since May of 2013 so much more MAGICal. There were financial projections/guarantees made for this project and what it was expected to achieve and, despite all that placed PR content (you recall when that Austin dude just happened to wander in here because he really cared about your opinions and wasn't doing Burbank's biding, right? and y'all lapped it up almost as sickeningly as you did the Con Man of the Hills BS mea culpa!) it can't hide the fact that it will likely never even earn back the money that has been thrown into it, yet alone result in that 11% increase so prominently and proudly crowed about for years as WDW stagnated and rotted and y'all got excited over new toilets and uncharge parties.

And I'll leave you with this nugget to ponder: TWDC and WDW have never been more profitable. So, ask yourself if this is how they handle uncharted prosperity, just how will they handle some adversity ... especially with the global economy (this time led by China) poised for a major downturn?

Don't any of you cause any discomfort by actually voicing complaints to the execs? Nope. You might find yourself relegated to UNI's parks. (Oh, and while they are certainly better in O-Town right now, the fact remains that their leadership is basically as clueless as Disney's ... The Boy Who Lived makes up for a lot of shortcomings, just don't let the UNI Wave Wanders hear I told you so!)

asianway

Just a quick followup on a point @Lee posted and I extrapolated on, but word from very well-placed folks came in this evening (yes, I am living the life of a true Faux Top One Percenter in Europe right now) that backed up the chatter that more than Chappie laying down the law and certainly much more than anything happening with ESPN or DLP, these cuts are all related to two factors. Just two:

1.) Shanghai Disneyland (AKA Bob Iger's biggest Legacy project, followed by Lucasfilm and Marvel) is an over budget disaster that keeps getting worse and eating money more than the typical O-Town fanboi living off of Mommy and Daddy's money. And beyond opening, this park has a guaranteed Phase II coming that hasn't been budgeted or paid for yet and,
2.) MM+ is an unmitigated failure. Don't care one iota whether you like your MAGIC Bands or if they made your sixth WDW resort stay since May of 2013 so much more MAGICal. There were financial projections/guarantees made for this project and what it was expected to achieve and, despite all that placed PR content (you recall when that Austin dude just happened to wander in here because he really cared about your opinions and wasn't doing Burbank's biding, right? and y'all lapped it up almost as sickeningly as you did the Con Man of the Hills BS mea culpa!) it can't hide the fact that it will likely never even earn back the money that has been thrown into it, yet alone result in that 11% increase so prominently and proudly crowed about for years as WDW stagnated and rotted and y'all got excited over new toilets and uncharge parties.

And I'll leave you with this nugget to ponder: TWDC and WDW have never been more profitable. So, ask yourself if this is how they handle uncharted prosperity, just how will they handle some adversity ... especially with the global economy (this time led by China) poised for a major downturn?

Don't any of you cause any discomfort by actually voicing complaints to the execs? Nope. You might find yourself relegated to UNI's parks. (Oh, and while they are certainly better in O-Town right now, the fact remains that their leadership is basically as clueless as Disney's ... The Boy Who Lived makes up for a lot of shortcomings, just don't let the UNI Wave Wanders hear I told you so!)
Speaking of waste and graft:
http://www.trippinwithtara.com/zootopia-event/

hopemax

Don't any of you cause any discomfort by actually voicing complaints to the execs? Nope.

At one point in my Disney posting timeline, I would have bothered, and I did. Got some phone calls too, and free copies of those souvenir vacation pictorial books too. But at this point I simply don't care. I feel more like being a Monk chronicling the fall of an ancient empire and recording it for posterity. To quote Kosh from Babylon 5, "The avalanche has started; too late for the pebbles to vote."

This is absolutely ridiculous! I think that Shangahi should not have been made in the first place! They should have took the money it took to make that park and split it into to 3s so WDW, DL, and DLP could get even more upgrades! I think those 3 parks should detach from all of the other foreign parks!

hopemax

Okay, now that I'm done with dinner and could think a little more. Between Shanghai, MDE, ESPN Disney already hit the iceberg with their choices. Sure, WDW might be persuaded to walk back some specific cuts, but that will only be rearranging deck chairs, sending out the band to play. There will be no moment of enlightenment regarding the connection of the flowery words from their press releases about world class experiences and their actions. The players will not change, and no one will be willing to singularly stick their neck out even if they believed what we believe. The damage runs so deep, any positive can only be assumed to be temporary. The corporate bleeding will continue, so the division blood letting will begin anew at some point; with no memory of what happened the last time, and even more shocking. Only a complete cleaning house will do, and the only way that happens is a la Eisner and Wells coming in and ruthlessly implementing new dictates. Only someone new and with an army of their people can wash their hands of the biggest of the bad decisions. And goodness knows where that would lead (I have no illusions that it will lead to good. This time there is no Vault to exploit, or use of the parks as a money printer). But I am convinced that this Disney has reached the point of no return. They could get rid of a swash of ineffective management, with no reason to believe they won't be replaced by a newer group cut out of the same cloth.

DHoy

Couple of more bits and pieces on this.

Most of the efficiency positions in the park will be eliminated. These are the CMs who are stationed at the start of lines and on load/unload docks to help move things along and keep things organized.

Reduction in back of house kitchen staff across property - including dish washers, prep positions.

Loss of register staff, so where they're may have bee running 6 register, there will now be 4 or 5.

More cuts to hours to come.

That's really bad. During busy periods at buzz the cm on the load belt and the cm that stands in front of the buzz animatronic in queue are crucial to mitigate deficiencies in capacity. Without those cms buzz would likely load guests at less than 80% capacity cuz all the first timers love to stop the line for their family portrait in the queue.

Sped2424

Im hearing RDP are being cut at the resorts. Things like movie nights, campe fires, and other activities hosted by CM's at hotels in order to entertain guests are all on the cut at least at Anaheim. I hope that Iger and Chappe and co are all taking hits to their paychecks in solidarity with their decisions. But something tells me that's unlikely. And that instead Cast members are paying the price for decisions in china that they did not make.

Cesar R M

We noticed the redo last time we visited OKW to see friends. Was glad we had previously sold our points, as the refresh made us think that the went the cheapest way possible - the new furniture completely turned us off.
Well, both AKL and Old Key West were the cheapest DVCs to rent. So I do not understand the similarity as I think AKL is way above(then, I'm not a golfer lol).

Cesar R M

Some of the things you said are honestly.. not what other people believe.
Some of the "plus things" in your case, are being lauded as downgrades than upgrades. Like Pirates boat issues, the Yeti, Test Track 2.
While others are really good changes (Harambe area, Festival of Fantasy, ROL).
I honestly think avatar should have been finished YEARS AGO , between the time first and second harry potter expansions.

Cesar R M

I'm perfectly fine with that.if only a producer from 60 minutes could pull off an undercover boss type deal next
I would love to see how the high level executives get destroyed by working under understaffed conditions on busy days.
And I hope a REAL "undercover boss". Not the BS ones that some Cruise Company guys pulled before. (like that big boss who went "undercover" and actually had a normal single cabin for himself and he had an army of workers next to him all the time)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom