Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

FigmentForver96

Not that this will happen, but imagine if Avatar doesn't do gangbusters business...

Could be a rough 18 months for the executive "leadership".
Everything going on right now is obviously bad, Shanghai, Paris, Hong Kong, inflated budgets...but maybe things will turn around when Shanghai opens. Wishful thinking as I am sure the park is going to have a bumpy start, but maybe we can see a turnaround.

*Not that there really should be anything to turnaround from since WDW is practically bursting at the seams.

Cesar R M

Are you talking about changes such as River of Lights, Disney Springs, Avatar, Star Wars/Toy Story lands. Maybe you are on of the ones that are in denial that maybe things are turning around at Walt Disney World. I am a DVC member that is only looking at the facts.
Well, most of these are still not finished so cant judge until they are open.
And they dragged Avatar and many other lands for so long to "keep costs low".
Thats being realistic.
We still do not know how bad the staffing will affect.
I cant imagine Avatar opening very understaffed as hundred of thousands flock to see the new land.

Cesar R M

Besides Avatar is so over budget that's is almost embarrassing to mention it. Of course Disney has money problems when they spend almost one billion in a single expansion.
Isnt the worst offender Shangai AND MM+ in terms of ballooning costs?

Costco actually pays it's associates well (like WDW did once upon a time when it cost far less to visit) so labor parity with the average WalMart is probably the goal.
sorry, my joke was related to the movie Idiocracy "Welcome to costco, we love you"

Cesar R M

May last trip to Disney Boardwalk Villas two years ago found the resort to be in really bad condition. Both me and my wife complained to management on site and to Disney Vacation Club when we go home. Our trip last month found our room to be wonderful. It had recently been renovated and was in great shape. My son was staying in one of the few rooms still waiting renovation and the difference was night and day. I just hope they now put the effort into keeping them as nice as they are now.
Old Key West was in good shape when I went there (renting points) for a 2 room villa.
There were some issues there and here (like hairdrier that burned itself with sparks, and a loose light switch, everything else was fine and working).
The point is, they sometimes take way too much to move maintenance. Can you imagine if they do cost cuts to the DVC maintenance as well?
those "6 months of falling apart buildings" might become years.. D:

BernardandBianca

I didn't pass my comment off a fact, I was asking if there would be any effect on these offerings. :confused: Hence the query format of the very first sentence of my post: "will this affect ____?"

I kinda thought it was a question, and not a statement, by the "?" at the end of the sentence. Maybe it's just me.

BernardandBianca

Old Key West was in good shape when I went there (renting points) for a 2 room villa.
There were some issues there and here (like hairdrier that burned itself with sparks, and a loose light switch, everything else was fine and working).:

We noticed the redo last time we visited OKW to see friends. Was glad we had previously sold our points, as the refresh made us think that the went the cheapest way possible - the new furniture completely turned us off.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There were some issues there and here (like hairdrier that burned itself with sparks, and a loose light switch, everything else was fine and working).
The point is, they sometimes take way too much to move maintenance. Can you imagine if they do cost cuts to the DVC maintenance as well?
those "6 months of falling apart buildings" might become years.. D:

Cuts to DVC properties will be taken VERY badly by us the DVC members as we PAY every year for 'Maintenance' and if the maintenance line in our MF's goes up and maintenance activity goes down it will go badly for Disney Vacation Development.

Buried20KLeague

Maybe it's because I only go every two years but I honestly don't remember seeing such greeters any time I went and recall having to be queuing up to see Fantasmic almost 2 hours ahead with or without the second showing. I've also never seen in person PUSH the trash can, main st. residents, (not counting the trolley show) never got a Mickey sticker, and had to plan in advanced to make sure I saw MEP and yet, by some miracle, I still have a magical time. I understand disappointment but you're all turning into a first world problems meme. If I'm concerned about anything, it's more the potential loss of jobs and less the fact I may have to wait a little longer for my parade.

Clearly you were in the wrong place.

gettyimages-484577690.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

rct247

The problem is that this day in age, companies are expected to somehow impress shareholders with ever increasing and profitable quarter earnings focusing only on the short term success of a company when they need to be worrying about long term success which may include a down quarter every once in a while.

I firmly believe that's what we're seeing. Disney has come off some greater success recently but that can't last forever. They are trying though. Cuts will still create savings and with in turn make figures look better. Those shareholders arn't the ones in thr parks every day seeing thr results, and thus they continue to be blind.

With all that said, there is a lot of waste in the company. Things can be streamlined or condensed, but I feel like they havn't figured it out 100%. Some of these cuts are going to be fine, while others won't.

My other guess is Disney recieved a lot of incentive to create jobs a few years ago and now those incentives are gone. Disney can't get rid of all the jobs created, because that would be worse than cutting back. Add that to the woes of ESPN, Paris, and Shanghai as well the effects of not maintaining WDW very well and overspending with MyMagic+. They are stuggling to even replace the hardware that is starting to fail with it already from devices to screens.

It's just a perfect storm leading to disappointment. It just depends who is going to see the disappointment first: the Guests or the shareholders.

ParentsOf4

Here's an interesting one from Motley Fool:

Disney World is Cutting Costs at the Worst Possible Time

The leading theme-park operator is reporting going through layoffs and shift cuts. That's just Goofy.

A company born out of ink and paint is going a little thinner on the paint. Disney (NYSE:DIS) laid off 100 to 140 of its Disney World resort painters, a union rep is telling the Orlando Sentinel. It's a move that is "out of sync" according to the rep, and it may seem odd at a time when the parks are presumably expanding to accommodate growing attendance levels.

The article also goes on to single out some of the other ways that Disney is cutting corners. A Teamsters rep points out that the world's leading theme park operator is trimming times of character meet-and-greet experiences. It also refers to a blog post on , where "inside sources" claim that Disney's in the process of cutting curbside greeters at the resort hotels and that front desk and concierge employees will only be offered up to 32 hours of work a week. With some nighttime performances at the parks now being curbed until peak Easter season, it leads one to wonder why Disney is reportedly getting so stingy these days.

Disney is widely expected to raise single-day ticket prices for its Florida theme parks later this month. Rival Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSK) (NASDAQ:CMCSA) has already done so earlier this month, paving the way for Disney's fourth consecutive February increase. However, paying more for a day at the park isn't going to go over too well for folks that notice the cuts.

It also leads one to wonder if Disney shouldn't be spending more instead of shaving its head count. Disney is coming off of another strong quarter. The media giant's theme parks division saw its revenue climb 9% since the prior year's holiday quarter. Perhaps more importantly, operating profits soared by 22% for the quarter. That's pretty impressive, especially with a decline in its international theme park interests weighing down the results. You don't normally see a company scramble to cut costs when margins are widening, especially in a consumer-facing industry where the measures can result in a reduction in guest satisfaction.

The online chatter points to weakness at ESPN as well as the delay and budget overruns at Shanghai Disneyland as the causes for Disney's attention to whittling down costs at its stateside theme parks. That doesn't make sense.

For starters, Disney was able to overcome lower attendance at Disneyland Paris and a spike in pre-opening expenses at Shanghai Disney to still deliver widening profit margins for its theme park division. Then we get to how the market weighs Disney itself. It posted a blowout quarter, with the only decline in its segment revenue and operating income breakdown coming from its ESPN-fueled media networks division. The stock still moved lower on the news, fearing the continuing weakness at ESPN. Improving the already widening margins at its theme parks isn't going to fix ESPN or make Mr. Market look away from the challenges at the leading sports programming network.

In a grim scenario that isn't entirely farfetched we could see the reported cost cuts at Disney World -- and Disneyland -- make matters even worse. If guest satisfaction suffers as a result of understaffed service or shortened attraction times of availability it could make people less likely to visit Disney World. With so many of Disney's more anticipated new attractions still at least a year away it could give potential visitors pause as they map out their spring and summer getaways. Even if Central Florida is in the cards, hitting up Comcast's parks a few miles away -- which unlike Disney has been adding several new attractions -- could be compelling. Comcast has seen Universal Orlando's attendance grow at a faster clip than Disney World for several years now.

There's never a good time to issue layoffs and turn trim the hours of existing works, but it certainly looks bad at a time when margins are increasing and ticket prices are likely to follow suit.​

Mike S

The leading theme-park operator is reporting going through layoffs and shift cuts. That's just Goofy.

A company born out of ink and paint is going a little thinner on the paint. Disney (NYSE:DIS) laid off 100 to 140 of its Disney World resort painters, a union rep is telling the Orlando Sentinel. It's a move that is "out of sync" according to the rep, and it may seem odd at a time when the parks are presumably expanding to accommodate growing attendance levels.

The article also goes on to single out some of the other ways that Disney is cutting corners. A Teamsters rep points out that the world's leading theme park operator is trimming times of character meet-and-greet experiences. It also refers to a blog post on **************, where "inside sources" claim that Disney's in the process of cutting curbside greeters at the resort hotels and that front desk and concierge employees will only be offered up to 32 hours of work a week. With some nighttime performances at the parks now being curbed until peak Easter season, it leads one to wonder why Disney is reportedly getting so stingy these days.

Disney is widely expected to raise single-day ticket prices for its Florida theme parks later this month. Rival Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSK) (NASDAQ:CMCSA) has already done so earlier this month, paving the way for Disney's fourth consecutive February increase. However, paying more for a day at the park isn't going to go over too well for folks that notice the cuts.

It also leads one to wonder if Disney shouldn't be spending more instead of shaving its head count. Disney is coming off of another strong quarter. The media giant's theme parks division saw its revenue climb 9% since the prior year's holiday quarter. Perhaps more importantly, operating profits soared by 22% for the quarter. That's pretty impressive, especially with a decline in its international theme park interests weighing down the results. You don't normally see a company scramble to cut costs when margins are widening, especially in a consumer-facing industry where the measures can result in a reduction in guest satisfaction.

The online chatter points to weakness at ESPN as well as the delay and budget overruns at Shanghai Disneyland as the causes for Disney's attention to whittling down costs at its stateside theme parks. That doesn't make sense.

For starters, Disney was able to overcome lower attendance at Disneyland Paris and a spike in pre-opening expenses at Shanghai Disney to still deliver widening profit margins for its theme park division. Then we get to how the market weighs Disney itself. It posted a blowout quarter, with the only decline in its segment revenue and operating income breakdown coming from its ESPN-fueled media networks division. The stock still moved lower on the news, fearing the continuing weakness at ESPN. Improving the already widening margins at its theme parks isn't going to fix ESPN or make Mr. Market look away from the challenges at the leading sports programming network.

In a grim scenario that isn't entirely farfetched we could see the reported cost cuts at Disney World -- and Disneyland -- make matters even worse. If guest satisfaction suffers as a result of understaffed service or shortened attraction times of availability it could make people less likely to visit Disney World. With so many of Disney's more anticipated new attractions still at least a year away it could give potential visitors pause as they map out their spring and summer getaways. Even if Central Florida is in the cards, hitting up Comcast's parks a few miles away -- which unlike Disney has been adding several new attractions -- could be compelling. Comcast has seen Universal Orlando's attendance grow at a faster clip than Disney World for several years now.

There's never a good time to issue layoffs and turn trim the hours of existing works, but it certainly looks bad at a time when margins are increasing and ticket prices are likely to follow suit.​
Ok, who here writes for them? ;)

maxairmike

We've made this observation before, that someone from MF is basically using this site for the basis of their posts.....

Rick is pretty well known on the amusement park side of the fan community, and has been for a while. I seem to remember him having posted at both PointBuzz (Cedar Point fan site) and CoasterBuzz (general parks site) on more than one occasion, and I know he keeps tabs on most of the major parks' big fan sites (as you can find reliable and good news/sources on forums once you weed it out). He generally seems to keep a good pulse on both the official and unofficial side of the industry, even if I don't think his articles always demonstrate it (I've thought some articles in the recent past to be very much in the "fluff" and/or "press release regurgitation" zone).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The article also goes on to single out some of the other ways that Disney is cutting corners. A Teamsters rep points out that the world's leading theme park operator is trimming times of character meet-and-greet experiences. It also refers to a blog post on **************, where "inside sources" claim that Disney's in the process of cutting curbside greeters at the resort hotels and that front desk and concierge employees will only be offered up to 32 hours of work a week. With some nighttime performances at the parks now being curbed until peak Easter season, it leads one to wonder why Disney is reportedly getting so stingy these days.

Cat's out of the bag now. Grab some popcorn when the investment community starts asking 'Why Now?'

hopemax

I know everyone keeps writing about the Motley Fool guy and ripping off his article content here. But as far as I can remember he's been writing about Disney in ways that mirror the discussion on the forum websites. And that's back to the late 1990s. There are archives, so anyone just learning about him now can go back and read his old stuff, although you have to wade through the non-Disney articles too .

Unfortunately, little good it's done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom