Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Goofyernmost

So how is your cousin subsidizing her income?
Please tell me exactly what place where anyone works in a entry level position are guaranteed a specific number of hours or even a job for that matter. I don't know their plans, but, the best will not be leaving. I know enough about how business works to know that the first to go are the dead wood. It's not a good situation for those that are involved, but, it is also an opportunity to clean house. Remember that anyone that is just starting out and think that you should be making a lot more money and are only willing to do more as soon as they pay you for it. This is a catch that all businesses take advantage of.

Goofnut1980

I don't really see this as a major thing. We have cut one of the parks in half with attractions and such, why wouldn't they reduce operating costs? My company does it all the time. If something is moved around, there is a reason. Yes has the new park been delayed, sure, that stuff happens.
Will most of the guests notice a few less people working? No, why? They have over 73,000 employees.

Money making areas will not see a reduction. At attractions instead of 4 people saying: two on 4, three on 5, two on 6; there might only be 2 CMs making the same calls.

You can't expect Disney to reduce its offerings, and not reduce it's head count. Is it sad they have to?? yes it is.

With that said we will be seeing new additions to these parks come to life over the next few years, including Pandora. Then they will need more CM's to operate. How many times have you just seen two to three CM's just sort of standing at an attraction or even the entrance to an attraction. We counted numerous times at DL last month and the same in October at the World. It's how a business works, and Disney is definitely a business.

Let's take a back to, oh say, 1998, would anyone on this thread/site even have a clue Disney was doing this?? No, we didn't have the social media we have today. We would not know or see any difference because we would not be "in the know".

Maybe I have a really good pair of rose-colored glasses, but I don't think we need a 24 page thread on how a company operates its day to day.

Cesar R M

How do you know that this person is "someone who actually knows what is going on behind the scenes" and not just someone with a bone to pick with Walt Disney World. Is this person a front line employee only seeing one side of the story. I am not saying I am going to look at what is going on and then report on the facts after my next trip to Walt Disney World.

Touche., but still take their opinions as a grain of salt.
Just like I prefer to give low priority to those well known posters who defend Disney, even if Walt himself had shocked their grandmothers to dead :hilarious: (all because they have stock and interests, like travel agencies).

DHoy

While cutbacks stink sometimes they can be good if done right. My dh still rants about our trip in 2014 the week before Mine train opened. There were 10, Yes 10 employees standing by a roped off entrance telling people it would not be opened until next week. HIs frustration was how many cm's does it take to tell you what a rope and sign would? He stated that is just poor management there. I agreed with him although it did not bug me as bad as it did him. He still talks about it. lol

I just kept thinking how many of those cm's could have been dressed as characters and roaming the park!

The number of CMs placed there was obviously a result of the testing occurring causing questions by guests and 10 was found to be an appropriate number due to the increase and guests questions

Lee

Adventurer
I'm not gonna go back and read 24 pages to see if anyone else has pointed this out, but...

Cuts aren't just due to Paris and Shanghai.
Remember when a certain @WDW1974 mentioned that Disney was expecting an 11% increase in revenue thanks to the billions spent on MM+/NextGen?

Yeah, well...that hasn't materialized. Likely never will. (Shocking, huh?)

Now they are looking to find pennies wherever they can.
Cuts. Surge pricing. Possible tiered pricing.

Yeah...that was money well spent...:rolleyes:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Maybe it's because I only go every two years but I honestly don't remember seeing such greeters any time I went and recall having to be queuing up to see Fantasmic almost 2 hours ahead with or without the second showing. I've also never seen in person PUSH the trash can, main st. residents, (not counting the trolley show) never got a Mickey sticker, and had to plan in advanced to make sure I saw MEP and yet, by some miracle, I still have a magical time. I understand disappointment but you're all turning into a first world problems meme. If I'm concerned about anything, it's more the potential loss of jobs and less the fact I may have to wait a little longer for my parade.

That's a foolish argument- the very act of going to Walt Disney World, in and of itself, is a first world action (for the record, I live in Orlando, though don't work for the Mouse, so it's not really a "vacation" for me anyway).

The loss of jobs that you worry about is what's causing you to have to wait longer for a parade or show. The two issues are distinctly related. One gives rise to the other.

Also, if you wanted to see the second Fantasmic or the second DEP, you never, ever, even during Christmas week, have had to queue up 2 hours early. Never.

the.dreamfinder

I'm not gonna go back and read 24 pages to see if anyone else has pointed this out, but...

Remember when a certain @WDW1974 mentioned that Disney was expecting an 11% increase in revenue thanks to the billions spent on MM+/NextGen?

What's that saying about people who only look to pick up pennies?

FigmentForver96

I'm not a disgruntled employee. If anything these ridiculous cutback only reinforce my commitment to provide every Guest I come across with the Disney difference. Yeah, my contribution is miniscule, but it may be the make or break it for their vacation. I genuinely love what I do. So, forgive me for being a tad bit upset when some idiot behind a cubicle, who has never worked in a theme park, goes on a budgetary rampage, that slowly contributes to the deterioration of one my favorite places on Earth. This isn't about me. I don't care how this affects me. I can move on from Disney if the situation warrants. But, you clearly will defend Disney no matter what they do, so I'm not interested in continuing the conversation with someone unwilling to acknowledge reality.
Im sure you work hard and its cast like you that do make the Disney difference. Thank you for the hard work you put into the situation, and hey even the smallest actions make the biggest ripples. I miss being a local and connecting with friends who worked in the parks, but I know its cast like you that will make the upcoming trip a great one.

Mike S

o_O Whats next paper plates?

I am still reeling about the paper napkins going to plain ones from years ago. I joke but that is actually when I started to take note of tthe downward spiral.
You know, when I was a kid sitting with my family in the electric umbrella I took note of something. I looked at my mom and said, "you know why Disney is so different? Most other people would just use plain napkins." This was when they still had Epcot printed on them. She looked at me like I was crazy. 100% true. Now look where we are.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Couple of more bits and pieces on this.

Most of the efficiency positions in the park will be eliminated. These are the CMs who are stationed at the start of lines and on load/unload docks to help move things along and keep things organized.

Reduction in back of house kitchen staff across property - including dish washers, prep positions.

Loss of register staff, so where they're may have bee running 6 register, there will now be 4 or 5.

More cuts to hours to come.

WDW1974

Oh please, you just hate Disney. You should go to UNI so the lines will be shorter for the rest of us Mr. Hillbilly Poopy Pants.

NGE/MM+ is going to nothing short of revolutionize The Disney Parks (where's the TM symbol?) going experience. Oh wait, it isn't 2010 and we aren't being fed this line of BS to cover for the fact that WDW is tired, stale and neglected are we?

Nope. Now you can spend weeks trying to get Aunt Martha's FP for SDMT to synch with yours and only be 10 minutes off from Cousin Ronnie and his family. And good to know that $25 1995 filet at the California Grill is now $52 (because check any local or national steak chain's prices then and now and you won't find any similar rise), but you get to book it six months ahead and sit with rubes on the DDP who want "steak for all of us, but none of that weird sauce or veggies ... we want fries" ... oh, but no cloth napkins for you because really nice restaurants use paper.

Like I said, WDW has for Bob Iger's entire tenure been run like an enterprise facing closing, not making record profits, and yet it never changes. You always get less for more. And you have a vast online community of rubes and addicts who simply justify it. The fact this thread was started by MAGICal Steve in the first place should really give y'all pause as to how bad it is and what may well follow.

But yeah, there will be a Star Wars Land and it will open sometime ... 2020 or 2021 likely, so you tell that to all the UNI Wand Wavers.

(Oh great job in getting UNI to give the Hulk coaster up to DIS for installation in WS!)

tissandtully

Most of the efficiency positions in the park will be eliminated. These are the CMs who are stationed at the start of lines and on load/unload docks to help move things along and keep things organized.

Reduction in back of house kitchen staff across property - including dish washers, prep positions.

Loss of register staff, so where they're may have bee running 6 register, there will now be 4 or 5.

This is gonna be chaos.

Chris82

Yikes. That sounds pretty serious. Are Disney's financials really that bad that these kind of cutbacks are merited?

It almost reminds me of the years I spent in Boston. I feel like every year we went through the same show with the MBTA (Boston's transit authority) - either prices/taxes had to go up to cover costs or we would lose 20 bus routes, commuter rails on weekends, etc. Even though I'm sure the MBTA's numbers were indeed awful, something about it felt like extortion - "Either pay up or the first thing to go will be services!" The weird thing is, there's no reason I can see for Disney to cut services first, as it's not like they're trying to make customers feel the pain so they'll lobby the government for more subsidies. It doesn't make any sense. Is there really nothing else that could've been cut before cutting front line services?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom