The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Know what his IQ is?

We had this issue with the 3 Gifted Boys in my DD's elementary classes. They were bored. My DD all the way through elementary/Middle School just wanted to put her head through a wall but was a good quiet kid. Teachers tried to use her through the years to teach struggle kids. That annoyed her too 'cause then the aid would just read. Teachers did alter their work but they generally got it the first go around and sitting through the normal repetitions was painful. Our District was too small for tracking and having their own classroom. High School was better as was college. But those boys lost interest long before high school.
I hope things are better in this day and age...I think a lot of times they didn't have the resources for the really gifted kids back when I was growing up. My brother was considered gifted and they had the SEEK program, but that was not every day. And I'm pretty sure he went up one grade level for reading, or that he at least had the reading book for one grade up. But that was pretty much the extent of the advanced work for bright kids. Over here, at least where my kids go, they have a lot more...both my kids are in all the "plus" groups, which are the advanced kids. They get extra work...or more advanced work, I should say. And then DS gets a double advanced math...they have the advanced group that 4 kids in his class have, and then he gets the "math tiger" which goes more in depth even and is for the really adept kids. But it's a program built into the normal lesson, so they are always getting the more advanced material...not just once every 2 weeks getting to do a special project or have a special lesson like seek used to be, but really getting more advanced material so they don't get bored. But they don't have to go to the next grade to get that material, so they stay with their age group. It's really nice. It keeps the advanced kids interested and stimulated without having to leave the classroom. DD has had some issues because she's very social and she's kind of a mother hen. She always wants to help everyone, and she has 2 best friends...one of them is also in all the plus groups and is pretty much the same level as DD. They both always test at the highest level every year and they are in 4th grade and have Avi plus reading level, which means they can read high school level material. The other friend is in the groups that get special instruction because she's behind in most things. So that girl is constantly asking DD and the other friend to help her, and DD doesn't really know how to say no. She kept coming home and saying she didn't get this done, or needed to go early to help this other girl, and the girl was keeping her from getting her own work done. So we talked to the teachers about it and they have kept an eye on it and they split the girls up AND talked to them about it and it's improved a lot. We get the first report cards in a few weeks and then we have parent teacher conferences a week or so later to discuss it, so I'll be able to find out a bit more about what they are doing for the advanced kids. I have often wondered if that's a Dutch thing or if schools in general have just gotten better about it...if it's better in the US now, too.

Songbird76

I love fish but anchovies not at all. They are such an oily slime of a fishie. I good at the 'best picked off' thing it just leaves an awful residue behind.
It reminds me of the Gilmore Girls where Lorelai starts picking things out of her salad and Emily asks her what she's doing, and she says she is taking out something...cucumber maybe? Or carrots? And then she starts taking out the tomato and Emily asks what's wrong with the tomato, and she says "It was fraternizing with the enemy!"

Cesar R M

I personally love the burton's version.

Also the Hallmark's.
R8kekcq.jpg

Songbird76

In Illinois we have the Math and Science academy for just such kids. Lots of brilliant math students brains are just wired very differently. The school is a good place for these students because a bright mind is not wasted trying to get a student to conform to a certain arbitrary curriculum. My DD was accepted into the M&S Institute. We went both ways about it. But boy sending your kid away to an Academy Monday through Friday is rough if they are a homebody. She thought about it and politely declined. The boy up the road a couple years younger went. He went onto Yale. They didn't care he wasn't well versed in Mythology. They were more interested in his mathematical brain and his advance thinking with computers.

I'm not a fan of students needing to be well rounded or good at everything. Sometimes Oval students do very well too.
Exactly...and that's the problem with the standardized testing, too....it only measures certain kinds of intelligence, when there are LOTS of different forms. And you get one kid who isn't very good at reading, but can do amazing work with their hands....or a kid who's a musical genius, etc. And those things don't get stimulated much. When DD started school, they put her in a special class, saying she was behind in her language skills. Specifically vocabulary. Everything was on par, except her vocabulary. I said "What do you expect. She's from a bilingual home...only half her vocabulary is tested. And she knows some words that are 2 or 3 years above her grade level, which also aren't tested. Her vocabulary is fine, it's just outside of what's tested." So they put her in a special class 4 mornings a week to learn her letters (which she had known since she was 2) and after 2 months, the teacher didn't know what to do with her and didn't understand why she was put in the class....she was "head and shoulders above the rest of the class." And was "doing the most difficult work the teacher could find, faster than the other kids were doing the EASIEST work." They tested her again, and she was already "above average". It was just that they didn't test the majority of her vocabulary because it was in a different language, and she needed time to catch up to the other Dutch kids with only one set of words. Those tests are not always an indicator of what a child is capable of.

Cesar R M

I'm guessing the cat doesn't like the vacuum. She wanted out of my room a few minutes ago. I opened the door for her, and she heard the vacuum running, then decided, "Nope, nevermind!" turned around, and is now happily asleep on me.:rolleyes: She's been here basically all day thanks to the work being done in the kitchen.
well, more snuggling going on, right? :cat:

Cesar R M

Just a thought...when we went to Disneyland last year it was cheaper for us to get the Premier Pass as we were doing 9 days at DL and planning on at least 14 days in WDW. We have done more in both parks now because of the premier pass, so maybe it didn't save us money...:greedy:;) You have WDW annual passes right? Maybe it would be cheaper to upgrade. DL has a lot better annual passholder discounts for dining too. Something to look into maybe.
what are the benefits of the "premier" pass?

Cesar R M

This whole gas price thing across the country has me befuddled. Yesterday, in my own area, (I'm talking about a 10-mile radius for this particular example) we saw gas prices at a high of $2.09 at one station; others at $1.89, $1.85, $1.87, $1.78 (the lowest), and so on. There's quite a few gas stations around here, and we compared prices on 9 of them. Some of these stations were within just 2 blocks of each other, yet the prices were all over the place.

Somethin' fishy going on here . . .
different productions probably? GAS as different prices according to their quality.
Example.. Mexican Gas as lower rating than US BRENT.
so it costs cheaper.

Cesar R M

That's the way ours are. We don't go to the gas stations closest to home because they are most expensive. We only go there if we're really low on gas. They're always at least 20 cents more than ones just 10 minutes away. I've got the cheaper gas stations on my radar and double check my gas gauge every time I pass them.
Dont you lose some of that savings by driving 10 minutes away for cheaper fuel?

Cesar R M

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom