A Spirited Perfect Ten

rael ramone

I know, but there is a difference between saying the stock market is over-inflating things and then saying Disney is walking back expectations because they have no confidence in their product.

Either the market is not over-inflating things and Disney has no confidence in their product OR the market is over-inflating things and TWDC has an entirely "accurate" expectation.

Instead we've somehow set a narrative that if the movie over-performs Disney has no confidence in their products and if it underperforms Disney is going to fail as a company. It's a weird lose-lose scenario that does not make sense. The same logic has been retroactively applied to Frozen's performance.

It's not unusual for a stock to exceed 'guidance' (their own prediction of how they will do), break records in the process, and then divebombs because earnings missed the analysts expectations.

I do believe that 'TFA best box office evah' thoughts are baked into the price.

But in the end does it have the rewatchability (in the more expensive 3D format) then films like Avatar and Jurassic World do.

Anything less then 'best evah' will shave points off of $DIS. But not a 'look out below' issue, since I don't recall any of the principal actors ever putting on Elephant Headgear on Saturday morning at 11:55am in Tuscaloosa...

Quinnmac000

SW not doing well video game side...

You almost never hear anyone talk about a disappointment in a discussion of the revival of the Star Wars franchise. But retailer GameStop did today, telling analysts that there’s been no sign of the Force behind sales of Electronic Arts’ video game Star Wars Battlefront, which was released on November 17.

“We had high expectations that diminished somewhat as it got closer, and then it failed to hit those lowered expectations,” GameStop COO Tony Bartel told analysts. The comments, plus lower than expected financials for the quarter that ended in October, sent the chain’s shares down 4.2%. Electronic Arts shares fell 4.8%

GameStop isn’t giving up hope. “We expect Star Wars to be one of the strongest titles for the holiday season,” especially around December 18 when Disney releases Star Wars: The Force Awakens, CFO Robert Lloyd says. “So we expect it to get back towards on-track for our expectations.”

http://deadline.com/2015/11/star-wars-battlefront-gamestop-sales-disappoint-1201636061/

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...

Not trying to be combative, and I realize you did post the link to the full article so good on ya mate.

But...the portion of the article that you quoted is only half the story. The article goes on to say that GameStop was disappointed in physical sales (as in customers actually coming to their stores) and then emphasized that a big part of the reason for this situation is the ever increasing percentage of digital purchases.

GameStop also expressed disappointment in physical purchases of the most recent Halo installment and Fallout 4 (which has been a big hit) again, that disappointment resulting from increasing digital sales.

Digital purchases are completed from an individual's gaming console and forget having to leave home, they don't even have to leave their couch. Digital purchase by the customer cuts GameStop right out of the loop. It's just another change in how media/content is delivered, and much like Blockbuster Video, the GameStops of the world may find that extinction is inevitable.

To get a true picture of sales of any game you need the combined totals of physical and digital purchases. Just because GameStop continues to become more and more irrelevant doesn't mean any particular game is a flop.

FrankLapidus

Already walking back expectations, Well that's typical TWDC has no confidence in it's own creations, And Lucas is completely PO'ed at them saying he's DONE with Disney and Star Wars. Yes Lucas was responsible for one of the most wooden love stories I've ever seen and Jar Jar....

But when you get the series creator so hacked off at you that he abandons his creative children so to speak something has gone terribly wrong. Now what's it gonna be that Jakku is the planet which Fitz wound up on in 'Agent's of SHIELD' so we can have 'Synergy' and marketing tie ins...

Personally I was not expecting much other than a 2 hour toy ad, DW and BFF who are both hardcore SW fans have the advance midnight tickets. If DW comes in swearing I'll know that I was right about the movie.

Lucas didn't "abandon" Star Wars, nor does Disney turning down his story ideas suggest that something has "gone terribly wrong". Lucas sold his company to Disney having already gone into semi-retirement in January of 2012, before the sale was completed, and in 2008 had already said that there would be no more Star Wars films. As hard as I can imagine it is for him to let go of Star Wars, he was done with the franchise before he handed it over to Disney so he can't have realistically expected them to use his ideas having relinquished control of it because, in his own words, that it was "time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers." And after the backlash aimed at Lucas for the prequels, why would a company looking to breathe new life into Star Wars want to use his ideas?

Looking back at the production of Star Wars, right from the beginning I get the impression that Lucas has never been particularly enthusiastic about the process of making the films but at the same time never trusted anyone else to make them either. People like Gary Kurtz, Irvin Kirshner and Lawrence Kasdan all played pretty pivotal roles in the success of the franchise but all had various run-ins with Lucas over the ways they thought the films and story should progress. Personally I think the only way the new films could have worked and been sucessful was to remove Lucas from the creative process but either way, to characterise it as you have isn't really in keeping with reality; George Lucas was DONE with Star Wars before he ever shook hands on a deal with Bob Iger, he hasn't suddenly decided to wash his hands of the franchise now because Disney and Kathleen Kennedy wanted to take the new films in a different direction to what he had in imind.

As for the "2 hour toy ad" criticism, which is another thing I don't agree with based on everything that we've seen and heard about The Force Awakens up to now, doesn't that criticism of Star Wars becoming more concerned with merchandising opportunities over telling a compelling story go back to what Gary Kurtz said was a change in Lucas' attitude towards the franchise between production on The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi? Isn't that why we got Ewoks and why Han Solo got a reprieve against the wishes of Harrison Ford and Kasdan because, in Ford's words, "George didn't think there was any future in dead Han toys"? Bearing all that in mind, isn't it a good thing that Lucas has been kept away from Episode 7?

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Lucas didn't "abandon" Star Wars, nor does Disney turning down his story ideas suggest that something has "gone terribly wrong". Lucas sold his company to Disney having already gone into semi-retirement in January of 2012, before the sale was completed, and in 2008 had already said that there would be no more Star Wars films. As hard as I can imagine it is for him to let go of Star Wars, he was done with the franchise before he handed it over to Disney so he can't have realistically expected them to use his ideas having relinquished control of it because, in his own words, that it was "time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers." And after the backlash aimed at Lucas for the prequels, why would a company looking to breathe new life into Star Wars want to use his ideas?

Looking back at the production of Star Wars, right from the beginning I get the impression that Lucas has never been particularly enthusiastic about the process of making the films but at the same time never trusted anyone else to make them either. People like Gary Kurtz, Irvin Kirshner and Lawrence Kasdan all played pretty pivotal roles in the success of the franchise but all had various run-ins with Lucas over the ways they thought the films and story should progress. Personally I think the only way the new films could have worked and been sucessful was to remove Lucas from the creative process but either way, to characterise it as you have isn't really in keeping with reality; George Lucas was DONE with Star Wars before he ever shook hands on a deal with Bob Iger, he hasn't suddenly decided to wash his hands of the franchise now because Disney and Kathleen Kennedy wanted to take the new films in a different direction to what he had in imind.

As for the "2 hour toy ad" criticism, which is another thing I don't agree with based on everything that we've seen and heard about The Force Awakens up to now, doesn't that criticism of Star Wars becoming more concerned with merchandising opportunities over telling a compelling story go back to what Gary Kurtz said was a change in Lucas' attitude towards the franchise between production on The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi? Isn't that why we got Ewoks and why Han Solo got a reprieve against the wishes of Harrison Ford and Kasdan because, in Ford's words, "George didn't think there was any future in dead Han toys"? Bearing all that in mind, isn't it a good thing that Lucas has been kept away from Episode 7?

Don't know we will see what the finished product looks like

FigmentJedi

Not trying to be combative, and I realize you did post the link to the full article so good on ya mate.

But...the portion of the article that you quoted is only half the story. The article goes on to say that GameStop was disappointed in physical sales (as in customers actually coming to their stores) and then emphasized that a big part of the reason for this situation is the ever increasing percentage of digital purchases.

GameStop also expressed disappointment in physical purchases of the most recent Halo installment and Fallout 4 (which has been a big hit) again, that disappointment resulting from increasing digital sales.

Digital purchases are completed from an individual's gaming console and forget having to leave home, they don't even have to leave their couch. Digital purchase by the customer cuts GameStop right out of the loop. It's just another change in how media/content is delivered, and much like Blockbuster Video, the GameStops of the world may find that extinction is inevitable.

To get a true picture of sales of any game you need the combined totals of physical and digital purchases. Just because GameStop continues to become more and more irrelevant doesn't mean any particular game is a flop.

There's also the factor of EA's awful money-gouging practices wearing thin on consumers. Battlefront only has four planets out of the box (Free Jakku DLC in a few weeks making that five) with limited single player options and only one real stand-out multiplayer mode (Walker Assault) that the others are pretty much just variants of. Add in a lack of space battles because actual developer quote "Space battles are boring and not fun" and no prequel locales and you got a game that only offers a fraction of what the first two Battlefronts did almost 10 years ago for 60 bucks. Add in the 50 dollar DLC Season Passes EA's already selling and that's an 110 dollar game.

Disney made a terrible call giving EA exclusive Star Wars rights

polynesiangirl

My wife bought "me" the Vader PS4 for Christmas. A sucker born every minute.

I was so, so close to buying it and I chickened out. However, I did still buy the PS4 standard Battlefront bundle and my kid may or may not be getting basically every single Star Wars Infinity character for Christmas. (I couldn't help it -- what, were we going to just not HAVE Yoda?! Or Obi-Wan, for God's sake?! I don't think so.)

I said it in another thread, I will say it again: Disney are diabolical geniuses. Excuse me while I wave goodbye to whatever was left of my money.

PhotoDave219

A thought on why I dont own Star Wars:Battlefront - I am not buying a new console.

I am not an early adopter of Video Game consoles. It took me years to get a PS3. It took me years to get a PS2. I am not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a console (or thousands for a pimped out PC for gaming) unless I find it worth it. Yes, I want Fallout4. Yes, I want to play Battlefront but it really just looks like its only a FPS (first person shooter) where you just run around and shoot other people. I've played those games before (The Wolfenstein Enemy Territory game) and I prefered being the engineers or those that worked to getting an objective, not just running around and shooting other people. Not totally my jam.

I can survive without it.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom