Possible Frontierland expansion

bakntime

I wouldn't mind Woody's Round up or even something based on the Lone Ranger (unlikely) to be honest with you. Ip's don't bother me as long as it's done well.
I'm there. I have this thing for trackless lately, and Mystic Manor and Ratatouille are a wash. I'd be extremely pleased with either one. One's an IP, one's not, but they're both on equal footing: wonderful theme, great execution. The whole idea of being the size of a rat in Ratatouille was perfectly done, with a beautiful queue and great sets within the ride itself. Heck, I love it and I've only seen videos of it. I can only imagine how great it would be in person. Not to mention I adore Giacchino's soundtrack for that film, and it's all over the place in that attraction.

So if they find a way to get a quality attraction like either of those into Frontierland, I'm not particularly concerned what the theme is, as long as it's "western" themed.

Matt_Black

We can assume with 99% certainty that it is not going to feature Tex Tinstar, The Best in the West.

hqdefault.jpg

misterID

I like ip's its a reason we go to to WDW in the first place. Otherwise we could just go to a cedar fair park.
I think the point is that part of WDW appeal was the fact they created their own Disney stories for the parks, some so strong they actually had films based on them. Not everything needs to be based on an existing IP. Originality is a good thing, which is really what separated WDW from Cedar Fair.

SYRIK2000

Actually based on the setting of Cars. It would definitely fit the Southwest feel of Frontierland. And I could see this as why Spirit would not be excited. And it does fit the very popular IP model.

lazyboy97o

I think we need to wait and see what actually happens before we go by what they have or haven't dismissed.

But either way, whether the "theme/story" was already imagined ahead of time by a creative mind before the attraction is built (Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Avatar Land), or if it's imagined up for the purpose of an attraction (Soarin, Expedition Everest), the end result is the same to me: If the attraction was well executed, it's fun, and if it wasn't well executed, it's probably not.

The fact that Disney sees a successful business model over at Universal+IOA (where every single last attraction is based on existing properties), Disney would be idiots not to take advantage of their own ridiculous quantity of successful IPs they have access to.
The end attraction is not the only concern because the position is a reflection of a larger problem, the dismissive view of themed entertainment as not being a valid form of creative entertainment. The business model being broken at Walt Disney World is not because of a lack of utilizing existing intellectual property.

yensidtlaw1969

Oooh, I really hope it's not Pixar. It would only muddle things further to build, say, Woody's something-or-other in Frontierland just as they're expanding Pixar's presence in Hollywood Studios. Bad enough that Pixar Place is hardly a land to begin with, but if you're developing a new attraction around Toy Story just as you're expanding the dedicated Pixar land, just put it there! Even if it's some Pixar property other than Toy Story.

Pixar does not actually have any IP that fits the theme of Frontierland.

tl77

You think?

Less expensive to move Iasw??

Not only is this simply untrue, but even if it were it would not afford Disney anything they would consider to be worth the investment of moving Small World.

Festival of the Lion King is a Stage Show, and as far as the infrastructure of Disney stage shows go, it's a fairly traditional one. There are no crazy lifts in the stage, no unusual engineering to the theater -- every component of that show is designed to have been loaded in when they needed to and taken out when it's time to remove the show. The scenic elements are on wheels; many of them are old Parade floats, literally designed to be moved from place to place.

It's a Small World was and is not similarly designed - it is a huge animatronic production filled with heavy machinery and large, bolted-down set pieces in a purpose-built building that was designed to be flooded and be as permanent as can be until they decide to demolish it at great expense or close the park and let the ride rot with it.

The new theater for Festival of the Lion King was designed with this particular show in mind, but a Theater is by it's nature a flexible space, and you better believe they designed it in the understanding that they may one way wish to put another show in there. Small World was designed to last until the building fails or until the end of time, whichever comes first. In Tokyo, it seems, the former is winning that race.

BUT, even IF Disney moved Festival of the Lion King, think about what they got out of it. For the several millions they spent building the new Theater, they got a space in their theme park ready to handle this and whatever the next show one day is, but also the chance to expand their fledgling park in the best possible way, with a visible franchise taking up that newly available prime real estate so that the overall park can more efficiently make back the money that has been invested in it.

Magic Kingdom has no such issues. Beyond the park having plenty of more accessible real estate for them to build upon, Magic Kingdom is making BANK. There is NO financial incentive to undertake worth that exhaustive, and no creative reason either. If they're willing to shoehorn Frozen into Norway, then no idea they have is in their mind *so perfect* for that spot that they wouldn't dream of finding another place to build it before tearing down one of their most enduring and endearing classic attractions and putting it there.

The cost then, further that the demolition costs, to rebuild Small World somewhere else would be SO much higher than building a new theater for FOLK that it's not even funny. Tokyo is making this investment solely because the alternative is to let the attraction fail, and they are thankfully unwilling to do so. If they could keep their Small World running in it's current location until the end of days they would be more than thrilled to do so. The fact is, they can't, so they're taking advantage of the situation.

TL;DR - It ain't happenin'. Ever.

And yet even Discoveryland is not all that focused these days (although the back was always disconnected).

Huh? Discovery Bay is not about the real west and it was designed for Disneyland.

Nope, nope, nope. Festival of the Lion King is a repurposed parade that was presented in a shed.

Really, what drugs are you on?

Small World and FORK are less expesive than AVATAR, you move the cheap ride to make room newer bigger better stuff ...ya nitwits

PhotoDave219

Small World and FORK are less expesive than AVATAR, you move the cheap ride to make room newer bigger better stuff ...ya nitwits

As for "nitwits"..... First, its "FOLK" not "FORK" Second, you misspelled "expensive."

Alas...... Small World has never moved nor will it.

FOLK is a very cheap theatre to build. That is simple. Small world is a specific-use constructed building. The costs associated with reconstructing that ride elsewhere are astronomical.

Moreover, Small world is one of the original, classic rides from park open in 1971. Small World is what everyone associates with Fantasyland at Walt Disney World.

bakntime

As for "nitwits"..... First, its "FOLK" not "FORK" Second, you misspelled "expensive."

Alas...... Small World has never moved nor will it.

FOLK is a very cheap theatre to build. That is simple. Small world is a specific-use constructed building. The costs associated with reconstructing that ride elsewhere are astronomical.

Moreover, Small world is one of the original, classic rides from park open in 1971. Small World is what everyone associates with Fantasyland at Walt Disney World.

I think the decision was made even easier by the fact that the old theater was more of a temporary tent, wasn't it? If the show was going to stick around, it probably needed a more permanent installation anyway.

And yeah, I don't understand where all the "just move IASW" talk originates. That's not going to happen. On the other hand, I have credible word that Carousel of Progress will be switching places with Mission Space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom