AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Animal Kingdom Lodge. We usually stay there, and every time we go up the lift hill on EE, we look over and think "Our resort is right there, we could walk over". :)

No, AK Lodge would be in the direction of the Avatar show building, the tan thing I am pointing to is further north. I believe as other have said that it's the new FotLK show building.

SirLink

Sounds like expectation setting that news on other eagerly expected expansions will be light in comparison to pandora news this year...

Even if they announce other expansions at D23 those won't be shown on the show floor until after the panel has completed. Plus you really think they are going to announce come and see our DHS expansion plans ... whoops.

Back on topic: Go Pandora you only have another 24 months until it will open

Imagineerwannabe

Even if they announce other expansions at D23 those won't be shown on the show floor until after the panel has completed. Plus you really think they are going to announce come and see our DHS expansion plans ... whoops.

Back on topic: Go Pandora you only have another 24 months until it will open

I'm looking forward to more details of pandora, i only comment on the other as there seems to be so much emphasis and expectation placed on d23 this year being full of announcements

chiefs11

No, AK Lodge would be in the direction of the Avatar show building, the tan thing I am pointing to is further north. I believe as other have said that it's the new FotLK show building.
If that were the FotLK show building, the Tree of Life would have to be in the picture, and it isn't. Not to mention the FotLK building doesn't look like that, but AKL does. :)
What's cool is that it kinda gives an idea of how large the Avatar area is, as that crane on the right is working in the northern part of the plot.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If that were the FotLK show building, the Tree of Life would have to be in the picture, and it isn't. Not to mention the FotLK building doesn't look like that, but AKL does. :)
What's cool is that it kinda gives an idea of how large the Avatar area is, as that crane on the right is working in the northern part of the plot.

Good point about the Tree of Life, I will agree that it can't be FotLK, but I am not convinced it is the AK lodge. It looks to me like the lodge would be closer to where the show building is going up. Although the picture could be deceiving in how far away that object it.

Capture.JPG

chiefs11

Good point about the Tree of Life, I will agree that it can't be FotLK, but I am not convinced it is the AK lodge. It looks to me like the lodge would be closer to where the show building is going up. Although the picture could be deceiving in how far away that object it.
View attachment 102755
Indeed, distance and depth in photos can be very deceiving. Here's another higher res one taken from the same angle back in 2012:
akl.jpg

(credit to: http://www.keystothemagictravel.com/2012/06/expedition-everest-what-happens-when-it.html)

EDIT: maybe not higher res, but definitely more clear. Probably because the ride was stopped at the top of the lift hill.

dstrawn9889

Indeed, distance and depth in photos can be very deceiving. Here's another higher res one taken from the same angle back in 2012:
View attachment 102758
(credit to: http://www.keystothemagictravel.com/2012/06/expedition-everest-what-happens-when-it.html)

EDIT: maybe not higher res, but definitely more clear. Probably because the ride was stopped at the top of the lift hill.
less humidity that day, people that dont live with it day to day have a hard time taking in the fact that 95% humidity can kill a long shot
:::EDIT::: i was being unfair

HauntedMansionFLA

View attachment 102755
I wish there was a second mode of transportation from AKL to AK besides the bus. Seems like there should be since AKL is a deluxe resort. Great overhead picture!

doctornick

I wish there was a second mode of transportation from AKL to AK besides the bus. Seems like there should be since AKL is a deluxe resort. Great overhead picture!

Yeah, I've said for a while that a "ride" between the park and resort like a train or people mover that had animal enclosures along the way would be a wonderful addition (think operating similar to the monorail at DLR where you need park admission to ride). Not only would it add to the ride count, but it would provide quicker/more frequent transportation to the resort making it more desirable for guests there and kinda expanding the dining options for DAK, much like the monorail resorts are an adjunct to dining in MK.

doctornick

I'm looking forward to more details of pandora, i only comment on the other as there seems to be so much emphasis and expectation placed on d23 this year being full of announcements

Well, the Pandora and Shanghai stuff is a floor show, no? So you have to have some more detailed models, photos, information, etc. for that type of display. The P&R presentation will be on a stage in the hall with people talking and some video; that just needs concept art and less specific info and would be where any expansion stuff for WDW/DLR will be presented

Capsin4

View attachment 102755
Any idea what the rectangularish looking thing in the concrete pad is? Appears to be fairly deep and filled with water.

I was looking at how the leaked plans overlay with this overhead shot and it looks like there's room for another show room to the east of the one in the leaked plans. It also looks like the track exit from the leaked showroom curves towards the extended pad area and avoids that pond thing. The track entering the show room seems to curve in from the long "alley" between the flight rooms and the long wall thing north of it. Maybe that's the boat queue area. I wish I could post that overlay, but I did it on a network at work that I can't get anything off of.

I've read through most of these pages so forgive me if I'm bringing up something already discussed, but the show room in the leaked plan shows a large curved section of wall that the boats would get views of through the show contour lines 9rocks, hills, whatever). It also happens to have the same curve and length as the large screens in the flight room. Interesting, if the boat ride ends up being a mix of physical sets and large screen. Would be a great way to add scale with a panorama or even some excitement by working in some of the larger beasts (herds maybe?). incidentally, it looks like just after the track curves away from this "screen" the countours suggest a large flat area that the track curves around. Could be a great place for a large animatronic like the shanghai crock, but Avatar related.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any idea what the rectangularish looking thing in the concrete pad is? Appears to be fairly deep and filled with water.

I was looking at how the leaked plans overlay with this overhead shot and it looks like there's room for another show room to the east of the one in the leaked plans. It also looks like the track exit from the leaked showroom curves towards the extended pad area and avoids that pond thing. The track entering the show room seems to curve in from the long "alley" between the flight rooms and the long wall thing north of it. Maybe that's the boat queue area. I wish I could post that overlay, but I did it on a network at work that I can't get anything off of.

I've read through most of these pages so forgive me if I'm bringing up something already discussed, but the show room in the leaked plan shows a large curved section of wall that the boats would get views of through the show contour lines 9rocks, hills, whatever). It also happens to have the same curve and length as the large screens in the flight room. Interesting, if the boat ride ends up being a mix of physical sets and large screen. Would be a great way to add scale with a panorama or even some excitement by working in some of the larger beasts (herds maybe?). incidentally, it looks like just after the track curves away from this "screen" the countours suggest a large flat area that the track curves around. Could be a great place for a large animatronic like the shanghai crock, but Avatar related.

Speculation on the rectanulaish area is that it might be the end of a drop. As for what is shown of the boat ride in the leaked plans, take what you see there with a grain of salt. The plans focus on the banshee ride and it's my feeling that the what is shown of the boat ride was not intended to be an accurate representation of what would be built, just an indication that there will be some sort of boat ride in that part of the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom