A Spirited Perfect Ten

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So there's this new concept personal flying vehicle being tested:

And I can finally say "Horizons did it!"

IMG_0840.jpg

It's almost the same setup except there's less body parts and the fans are aligned differently. I want my horizons hover vehicle!!

lobelia

They still haven't actually acknowledged much other than the hotels, downtown Disney (+a lion king production), the castle and related boat ride, the hub and Pirates. There is well over 3/4 of the park for them still to reveal.
Check out post 429 and 443 of Spirit Takes the Fifth.

Edit: should have said 428 through 443 for Shangai Line up

Last edited:

Mike S

So there's this new concept personal flying vehicle being tested:

And I can finally say "Horizons did it!"

IMG_0840.jpg

It's almost the same setup except there's less body parts and the fans are aligned differently. I want my horizons hover vehicle!!

When a prototype is ready to go Disney needs to call these people up and have them fly it over Epcot.

BrianLo

Check out post 429 and 443 of Spirit Takes the Fifth.

Edit: should have said 428 through 443 for Shangai Line up

Sorry, should have clarified that while we have all known about the menu for a long while, Disney has 'officially' revealed very little. The speculation was what will they talk about, and it's likely that will be what we already have known for well over a year.

An opening would be nice - or a confirmation of May 8th.

doctornick

Disney/Marvel bought back the rights for Blade...and thinking of a reboot. Good idea or bad?

http://deadline.com/2015/07/wesley-snipes-blade-comic-con-interview-blade-the-player-1201472733/

They've had the rights back for Blade for a while. I don't care if they reboot it sometime, but I don't think it's a good fit for the MCU. Would work better as a standalone movie not tied to the rest of the MCU (there's no reason every Marvel Studios movie has to be linked to all the others).

mahnamahna101

Thought this was really nice.

Reminds me of when someone posted this.
View attachment 100554 View attachment 100553

Must fight the tears!

Pretty much any story involving Make-a-Wish/sick kids gets me. Especially when it's something small like that (a Stormtrooper holding her hand as she walks down to her operation)... something they didn't wish for, but it happens anyways.

baymenxpac

meanwhile, at ESPN, via USA Today:

"The money issues at ESPN are undeniable. Sources say ESPN President John Skipper was recently told by Disney to slash about $100 million from the 2016 budget, and an estimated $250 million from the 2017 budget.

Money was the driving force behind the pulling of ESPN radio show Mike & Mike from its highly-publicized move to New York City. And, the studio ESPN would have used for that show is the one that currently hosts the Olbermann show."

Mike S

"The money issues at ESPN are undeniable. Sources say ESPN President John Skipper was recently told by Disney to slash about $100 million from the 2016 budget, and an estimated $250 million from the 2017 budget.

Money was the driving force behind the pulling of ESPN radio show Mike & Mike from its highly-publicized move to New York City. And, the studio ESPN would have used for that show is the one that currently hosts the Olbermann show."
Disney slashing budgets? That's just business as usual ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Not from lack of income, but because of the soaring costs of broadcast rights.

BernardandBianca

Anyone else read this from Bloomberg (and why Bloomberg?):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sneyland-is-customized-for-the-chinese-family

One quote I enjoyed: “We’re building something that’s authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese,” Disney Chairman Robert Iger says. “It definitely will be Disneyland in China, but we’ll obviously be respectful of the Chinese culture and relatable to the people of China.”

And even more important from a personal perspective: "China’s one-child policy and a desire by extended families to travel together often mean there are as many as four adults for every kid in the parks, says Craig Hanna, chief creative officer for Thinkwell Group, a theme park designer based in Los Angeles, which has done work in China. So operators need to design plenty of seating, restaurants, viewing areas, and open space where older family members can camp out while others go on rides, Hanna says."

baymenxpac

Not from lack of income, but because of the soaring costs of broadcast rights.

it's more the fear of chord cutters. ESPN has pleeeeenty of money. here's a chart from the WSJ in 2014 that shows how much cable subscribers pay for carrying rights:

og-ac140_toptv__g_20140729144610_zpsewgxegsq.jpg

as you can see, they're not struggling. what they are afraid of is people who will blow off cable subscriptions for other web-based alternatives (sling TV, apple's eventual model, etc.) in my opinion, skipper is waking up to see that most people CAN live without ESPN, even sports fans. let's face it: outside of monday night football, what do you really want ESPN for, especially if you have to pay extra for it? every cable network has a sports highlight show. the talking head shows? olbermann was the only one worth watching, and now he's gone. so what are you left with? MNF. and unless you have a your fantasy match up coming down to the wire OR your actual team is playing, most people are burnt out from sunday football, have to get up for work, and on and on it goes. skipper knows a day of reckoning is coming where they can't justify charging that $6.04 per subscriber, and when it does, they're in for quite a dilemma.

Funmeister

Beyond broadcasting sporting events I think ESPN might be in trouble. Not the type of trouble where they go away, but enough where the public will notice fundamental changes.

baymenxpac

Beyond broadcasting sporting events I think ESPN might be in trouble. Not the type of trouble where they go away, but enough where the public will notice fundamental changes.

yes. the only reason most people haven't cut the cable chord yet is live sports (and the blackout restrictions that prevent you from getting your in-market team on streaming models like MLB.tv, NHL Center Ice, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc). but there's a big push to remove those restrictions, and when the leagues start to see that they can cut out the revenue middle man, it'll happen.

ESPN needs to re-find their sweet spot. particularly what made the network so good from '79-the mid '90's. it had nothing to do with cushy relationships with the athletes they covered. it had everything to do with their investigative journalism. right now, their 30 for 30 series is the best thing they do on the network, by far. if they can reinvent themselves, they'll be fine. but if i had to guess, the network will look very different than it does right now in 10-15 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom