Things you never understood about the parks, that maybe somebody can explain

Goofyernmost

Hello,
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why must all buses to Disney Springs/Downtown Disney have to leave from a resort and not any of the parks, especially with all the new openings at Disney Springs (restaurants and shops)?
For example, to get from Animal Kingdom, we bus to the AKL, and change to a DD bus. (resort-attraction, not attraction to attraction)
Thanks, and Ch-Ears!
Bill
I know this has already been answered, but, what you were told about offsite people parking there to avoid the parking fee is the truth. There was a time when the buses did go from park to DTD, but, as with anything, the abuse of the system started, so they did the only thing they could do and that was to route it through resorts. You can still park there if you don't mind losing about three hours of your day just getting from and to your car. With the money it cost for a ticket, it seems quite foolish. You will spend way more in lost time then the parking fee. At the end of a long day, with sore feet and aching muscles, it is not a fun trip to your car.

PS... some people still do that. There is no explaining humanity. Maybe too many chemicals in the water or something.

Last edited:

matt9112

Unfortunately, the "Season" is some fictional time and place. I haven't seen that place open for years and I have been there all seasons except summer. Even then, I have been in the godawful mess that is Pinocchio's whatever, packed in like sardines, waiting for a table to clear so we could sit down and yet, Disney in their incredible wisdom think it is wiser to put dark frustration smuges on the experience of the guest rather then spend a little of that 2 billion profit to make it a pleasant experience. Not to mention just how bad a show it is to have that much space closed, I don't care what time of year it is.

I just died laughing at the fictional place in time.

mebucko

I know this has already been answered, but, what you were told about offsite people parking there to avoid the parking fee is the truth. There was a time when the buses did go from park to DTD, but, as with anything, the abuse of the system started, so they did the only thing they could do and that was to route it through resorts. You can still park there if you don't mind losing about three hours of your day just getting from and to your car. With the money it cost for a ticket, it seems quite foolish. You will spend way more in lost time then the parking fee. At the end of a long day, with sore feet and aching muscles, it is not a fun trip to your car.

PS... some people still do that. There is not explaining humanity. Maybe too many chemicals in the water or something.
Thanks very much, Goofyernmost! Seems as if Disney had no other alternative. On our last trip (Feb2014) they were doing a trial run from Animal Kingdom to DTD, but that ended.
Appreciate your response!
Bill

BrittanyRose428

When I was in WDW on my college program (this past August to May) I saw the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant and Tortuga Tavern open a bunch of times. It just goes by what the projection is for the number of guests in the park those days.

Single rider lines wouldn't work for every attraction. Even if it were easy and possible to make extra single rider queues for every attraction, some of them are just awkward to sit with strangers. For instance, my thighs are basically an extra person themselves, I'd hate to be grouped with a single rider at the Haunted Mansion and have them be on top of me because my thighs take up their own spot on the seat too, that's just awkward and uncomfortable for everyone involved. Single rider lines definitely work better when the seats are clearly separated.

jaklgreen

When I was in WDW on my college program (this past August to May) I saw the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant and Tortuga Tavern open a bunch of times. It just goes by what the projection is for the number of guests in the park those days.

Single rider lines wouldn't work for every attraction. Even if it were easy and possible to make extra single rider queues for every attraction, some of them are just awkward to sit with strangers. For instance, my thighs are basically an extra person themselves, I'd hate to be grouped with a single rider at the Haunted Mansion and have them be on top of me because my thighs take up their own spot on the seat too, that's just awkward and uncomfortable for everyone involved. Single rider lines definitely work better when the seats are clearly separated.

If the "barrier" is the reason for them sticking you with some strangers, then why am I always stuck with strangers on the Safari. I travel solo and they stick me with some family in the same row of the jeep. I don't like that and neither do the family since sometimes there are too many and we are squished in. Plus they are leaning into me to see out that side of the jeep. Not cool. I am with you that if the ride does not have a barrier then they should not stick you with strangers.

mergatroid

Original Poster
If the "barrier" is the reason for them sticking you with some strangers, then why am I always stuck with strangers on the Safari. I travel solo and they stick me with some family in the same row of the jeep. I don't like that and neither do the family since sometimes there are too many and we are squished in. Plus they are leaning into me to see out that side of the jeep. Not cool. I am with you that if the ride does not have a barrier then they should not stick you with strangers.

The safari ride has room for what, say 5-6 across a row. Are you suggesting that a single rider or a couple should be given a row entirely to themselves? Where do you draw the line and would you be happy for wait times doubling or worse?

jaklgreen

The safari ride has room for what, say 5-6 across a row. Are you suggesting that a single rider or a couple should be given a row entirely to themselves? Where do you draw the line and would you be happy for wait times doubling or worse?

When I go with my girls then there are 3 of us to a row by ourselves as a family. Every family group usually has a row to themselves. I take up the same amount of space with or without my family. If they were there with me then we would get a row to ourselves. How is it different, I or my "family" take up 1 row. I am not taking up someone else's seats. I think it is the same concept on why they do not stick strangers with you in the HM, or PP, or WTP.

mergatroid

Original Poster
When I go with my girls then there are 3 of us to a row by ourselves as a family. Every family group usually has a row to themselves. I take up the same amount of space with or without my family. If they were there with me then we would get a row to ourselves. How is it different, I or my "family" take up 1 row. I am not taking up someone else's seats. I think it is the same concept on why they do not stick strangers with you in the HM, or PP, or WTP.

You've lost me there my friend, sorry?

G00fyDad

On KS they should never and will never just put one person in a row by themselves. Unless of course it is early morning and there are no other guests there yet. I agree that if you are not with a group then they should not have you seated so close together. Maybe three people to a row if a non-group person is involved. It would be perfect if these vehicles had a single rider seat in the back or something.

jaklgreen

You've lost me there my friend, sorry?

We have been going since the park opened. Granted we usually go at slower times and the wait is not very long, maybe that makes a difference. But even before we had kids the 2 of us always had a row to ourselves). That is how I have always seen it done. Each family group had their own row. Sometimes when I travel solo there are some CM that put me with others, some do not. Again, I go in the slower times so maybe that is the difference. But I think smooshing people together on a ride where they are leaning in toward you looking left and right and trying to take pictures is not OK. If it was a face forward stay in your own seat thing that is different. But I am not going to apologize for not wanting a bunch of strangers leaning practically in my lap to try to see and take a picture. NOT OK

mergatroid

Original Poster
We have been going since the park opened. Granted we usually go at slower times and the wait is not very long, maybe that makes a difference. But even before we had kids the 2 of us always had a row to ourselves). That is how I have always seen it done. Each family group had their own row. Sometimes when I travel solo there are some CM that put me with others, some do not. Again, I go in the slower times so maybe that is the difference. But I think smooshing people together on a ride where they are leaning in toward you looking left and right and trying to take pictures is not OK. If it was a face forward stay in your own seat thing that is different. But I am not going to apologize for not wanting a bunch of strangers leaning practically in my lap to try to see and take a picture. NOT OK

Gotcha :cool:. I couldn't understand you saying that you having your family or not makes no difference to others. It does really as if every single person was given their own row then waiting times would increase due to reduced capacity.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Why does Innoventions in Epcot close at 7pm? I understand why UoE closes early since its ride system is so incredibly complex, but why Innoventions? Is it due to lack of traffic?

jaklgreen

Gotcha :cool:. I couldn't understand you saying that you having your family or not makes no difference to others. It does really as if every single person was given their own row then waiting times would increase due to reduced capacity.

Putting 2 singles or even a single with a couple together is just fine. I always somehow get stuck with a family of 5 with kids wanting to climb all over me to see. Its not fair to me or to the family who want their kids to be able to see and enjoy the ride also. So maybe some kind of informal policy in that and not just sticking a certain number of people because they can "fit". Of course people want shorter wait times but I am sure if you ask, people would be willing to wait 5-10 minutes more and enjoy the ride more then have a shorter wait and feel as if they were too cramped and did not enjoy it.

BrittanyRose428

Regarding the one family per row/not wanting to sit with strangers issue-- that's all up to the grouper at the attraction. If they're good at grouping, they'll be able to tell if it would be hugely uncomfortable to put an extra person in a row. Some attraction CM's just aren't so great at grouping, or they're trying to keep the line moving sp more people are being grouped into each row. Something like the safari doesn't seem comparable to the mansion example from earlier, at least to me anyway. Me taking up one doom buggy alone isn't going to make as much of a difference in how many guests get on the ride in a given time in the same way one person taking up one row of a safari vehicle would.

Laura

Premium Member
Why is the Tomorrowland Noodle Station never, ever, open when we go? Just put one or two cm's on duty if it's not that busy and even then it would be impossible for it to at least not 'break even' money-wise surely?

I've seen the Noodle Station open a few times in a past few months.

I get the point about there may not be enough space to make the line, but with Haunted Mansion, putting in a single rider there wouldn't be any different really than a single rider next to you on EE or anything else.

I would never sit alone in the dark with a stranger on HM. That's way too intimate and awkward.

Single rider works best on rides with individual seats and lap belts. The singles use the unused belts rather than just have them sit there vacant.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I use the single rider lines a lot with great success. As for the Kilimanjaro Safari seating, as a solo guest, I'm always placed in a row with other guests. It's really never been a problem for me at all, as the CMs tend to not overcrowd the bench with too many people. At least that's been my experience. I've also met some nice guests on the ride as well. (I'm thinking that maybe you had one unfortunate experience, and any future seating arrangements may turn out more positive for you.)

Nero the dog

At RnR the single rider line joins the main line before you go in the sound studio where the FP+ line joins also. A cm stands there so knows exactly which line you're from. From that point on you're with everyone else. At loading they ask how many in your party and dispatch you to wherever depending on your answer. In effect the single rider line only helps you up to the recording studio part and nowhere else.

Single riders are kept separate all the way to loading. At the hallway just before the studio where all the lines merge, fast pass and regular line are directed into the front area of the studio. The single riders are put into a separate raised area at the rear of the studio. On leavin into the load area the single rider line goes straight down to the CM controlling loading, the main line kind of doubles back alongside the launch area.
As my kids are older we always use single rider unless we have fast pass, and on nearly every occasion we are in the same car.
I think the only other ride in Disney with single riders is Everest, again we use this all the time and again we are usually all in the same train.
My DW does not like either of those rides, so we can ride multiple times in the same time as standing in the main line would take, and my DW is not waiting on her own for to long.

Nero the dog

My 2 questions....
1. Why is Tortuga Tavern "Open seasonally" ? When I've been able to find it open, its a place I enjoy. They serve tasty meals, great selections and good portions.
2. Why arent more rides accessible for w/c's? DW is w/c bound, cannot transfer out to standard ride cars. There are a few rides that have ride cars that have pull down ramps so she can roll on, lock in and enjoy. Now of course she wouldnt be looking to do rough coaster type rides... but there are other rides she would like to enjoy with me. Why dont more rides have accessible ride cars?
Unfortunately, even up until quite recently very little thought was given to accessibility for wheel chairs. Those rides that can have been retro-fitted, but that is why many times wheel chair users have to bypass the main entrances.
On all the newer rides they will have been designed to allow equal access to as many guests as is possible, and to queue with everyone else as well.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Single riders are kept separate all the way to loading. At the hallway just before the studio where all the lines merge, fast pass and regular line are directed into the front area of the studio. The single riders are put into a separate raised area at the rear of the studio. On leavin into the load area the single rider line goes straight down to the CM controlling loading, the main line kind of doubles back alongside the launch area.
As my kids are older we always use single rider unless we have fast pass, and on nearly every occasion we are in the same car.
I think the only other ride in Disney with single riders is Everest, again we use this all the time and again we are usually all in the same train.
My DW does not like either of those rides, so we can ride multiple times in the same time as standing in the main line would take, and my DW is not waiting on her own for to long.

Wow maybe that's new? They definitely didn't do that last September on the 10+ times I went through single rider, sounds an improvement though :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom