Things you never understood about the parks, that maybe somebody can explain

mergatroid

Original Poster
Those little things that from time to time possibly have you scratching your head and thinking why? My two are

Why do they open the main entrance to Typhoon Lagoon 15 minutes before official opening and then keep you behind the rope till 10am in a tight bottleneck area rather than leave you at the larger entrance area till 10am?

Why is the Tomorrowland Noodle Station never, ever, open when we go? Just put one or two cm's on duty if it's not that busy and even then it would be impossible for it to at least not 'break even' money-wise surely?

Last edited:

Raineman

Why do most attractions not have a more flexible queue setup so that, when there is a lower volume of people at the attraction, the queue could be much shorter? How many times have you gone on a ride, where you basically never stop walking from the time you enter the line to when you get to the loading area?

G00fyDad

Why is the Tomorrowland Noodle Station never, ever, open when we go? Just put one or two cm's on duty if it's not that busy and even then it would be impossible for it to at least not 'break even' money-wise surely?

This is a seasonal place. I have no clue why it is seasonal, but I'd imagine it has to do with staffing. It would take more than two CM's to run this and if the attendance is not up then they could use those CM's other places. I don't agree with that line of thinking, but....

Why do they open the main entrance to Typhoon Lagoon 15 minutes before official opening and then keep you behind the rope till 10am in a tight bottleneck area rather than leave you at the larger entrance area till 10am?

I've never understood this either. They do the same thing at all the parks as well.

Why do most attractions not have a more flexible queue setup so that, when there is a lower volume of people at the attraction, the queue could be much shorter? How many times have you gone on a ride, where you basically never stop walking from the time you enter the line to when you get to the loading area?

This is done so that you can "experience" the themeing put into the queue line.

Why does World Showcase at Epcot open at 11AM?

Just a guess, but aren't these stores (That is essentially what WS is. A World Mall) that are run independently of Disney? Most stores open around 10am or 11am.

mousehockey37

Just a guess, but aren't these stores (That is essentially what WS is. A World Mall) that are run independently of Disney? Most stores open around 10am or 11am.

The World Showcase is open, but it's not. For photographers, it's a paradise in the morning... no one around and you can get great shots during the daylight hours. I believe I heard elsewhere that there's a rope over near Italy and again around Morocco so you can't get "completely" around the WS prior to 11am.

Last trip we were in EPCOT early (we were looking to see if characters were out at the IG, but we were too late), but WS hadn't "opened" yet... we still were able to get food in the pastry shop in France.

mousehockey37

They also have less flexibility staffing the World Showcase because of all the international workers.

Or... they have to let Mexican Donald get over his hangover..... LOL

Something I never understood... Why did they turn Cindy's Castle into a pepto cake for the 25th anniversary? Hopefully there's something better coming for the 50th.

Raineman

This is a seasonal place. I have no clue why it is seasonal, but I'd imagine it has to do with staffing. It would take more than two CM's to run this and if the attendance is not up then they could use those CM's other places. I don't agree with that line of thinking, but....

I've never understood this either. They do the same thing at all the parks as well.

This is done so that you can "experience" the themeing put into the queue line.

While I definitely appreciate the theming in the queue line when the line is full and moving slowly, if it is a ride/attraction that I have been on before, and the line is basically empty, I would probably not stop and view everything in the queue. That being said, there are people who would "stop and smell the flowers" even if the line was empty, so Disney needs to cater to them as well. I guess maybe I'm just lazy-some of these rides have quite a hike between the start of the queue line and the loading area ;)

Goofyernmost

Unfortunately, the "Season" is some fictional time and place. I haven't seen that place open for years and I have been there all seasons except summer. Even then, I have been in the godawful mess that is Pinocchio's whatever, packed in like sardines, waiting for a table to clear so we could sit down and yet, Disney in their incredible wisdom think it is wiser to put dark frustration smuges on the experience of the guest rather then spend a little of that 2 billion profit to make it a pleasant experience. Not to mention just how bad a show it is to have that much space closed, I don't care what time of year it is.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Unfortunately, the "Season" is some fictional time and place. I haven't seen that place open for years and I have been there all seasons except summer. Even then, I have been in the godawful mess that is Pinocchio's whatever, packed in like sardines, waiting for a table to clear so we could sit down and yet, Disney in their incredible wisdom think it is wiser to put dark frustration smuges on the experience of the guest rather then spend a little of that 2 billion profit to make it a pleasant experience. Not to mention just how bad a show it is to have that much space closed, I don't care what time of year it is.

I agree with you 100%. We go every Sep/Oct or Nov and I can't remember seeing it open then, ever!1 I did wonder whether the building itself (the cm kitchen area) was somehow unsafe and so would need major work on it, it's maybe the one thing that could explain it not that I've ever heard that said. But then I wondered is that not the building they use to serve the ice creams and cakes from for that Wishes desert party viewing thing they hold each night, if so that can't be the case?

Goofyernmost

I agree with you 100%. We go every Sep/Oct or Nov and I can't remember seeing it open then, ever!1 I did wonder whether the building itself (the cm kitchen area) was somehow unsafe and so would need major work on it, it's maybe the one thing that could explain it not that I've ever heard that said. But then I wondered is that not the building they use to serve the ice creams and cakes from for that Wishes desert party viewing thing they hold each night, if so that can't be the case?
In a business viewpoint, it makes sense, but, not in a Theme park viewpoint. It just looks sad. With the prices that the charge for food, it wouldn't take more then a dozen customers to get to the break even point. Penny wise and pound foolish as my Mother was so fond of saying.

GrammieBee

I'm sure there are "business" explanations, BUT, I have never understood when the MK is jammed to the eyeballs with people, why many of the QS restaurants are "seasonally" closed. It certainly does not add to the magic to have to practically fight for a place to sit down and eat while other restaurants are sitting there closed and empty. It would make sense if there were fewer people in the park, but when it is so crowded the acres of parking lots are full---well, go figure. It certainly makes no sense to me and does not make me a happy consumer.

JIMINYCR

My 2 questions....
1. Why is Tortuga Tavern "Open seasonally" ? When I've been able to find it open, its a place I enjoy. They serve tasty meals, great selections and good portions.
2. Why arent more rides accessible for w/c's? DW is w/c bound, cannot transfer out to standard ride cars. There are a few rides that have ride cars that have pull down ramps so she can roll on, lock in and enjoy. Now of course she wouldnt be looking to do rough coaster type rides... but there are other rides she would like to enjoy with me. Why dont more rides have accessible ride cars?

JasonDeyoung

The World Showcase is open, but it's not. For photographers, it's a paradise in the morning... no one around and you can get great shots during the daylight hours. I believe I heard elsewhere that there's a rope over near Italy and again around Morocco so you can't get "completely" around the WS prior to 11am.

Last trip we were in EPCOT early (we were looking to see if characters were out at the IG, but we were too late), but WS hadn't "opened" yet... we still were able to get food in the pastry shop in France.
When I was there a few weeks ago they had ropes at China and Canada. That was during f&g though so maybe it's different other times

Flippin'Flounder

My 2 questions....
1. Why is Tortuga Tavern "Open seasonally" ? When I've been able to find it open, its a place I enjoy. They serve tasty meals, great selections and good portions.
2. Why arent more rides accessible for w/c's? DW is w/c bound, cannot transfer out to standard ride cars. There are a few rides that have ride cars that have pull down ramps so she can roll on, lock in and enjoy. Now of course she wouldnt be looking to do rough coaster type rides... but there are other rides she would like to enjoy with me. Why dont more rides have accessible ride cars?
Tortuga Tavern has great food. When it's closed they move the food to Pecos Bill's don't they? How many QS lunch places are there anyway? Pecos Bill, Pinnochio, BOG (If you can get in), Casey's Corner, Columbia Harbour House, Cosmic Ray's, The Lunching Pad. Thats 7, for the busiest theme park in America. By comparison, Epcot has 12.

mebucko

Hello,
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why must all buses to Disney Springs/Downtown Disney have to leave from a resort and not any of the parks, especially with all the new openings at Disney Springs (restaurants and shops)?
For example, to get from Animal Kingdom, we bus to the AKL, and change to a DD bus. (resort-attraction, not attraction to attraction)
Thanks, and Ch-Ears!
Bill

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom