The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

Travel Junkie

Following up on the Tommorrowland premiere, staff members at the AMC in Downtown Disney are being told the premiere will be held there. The red carpet will likely run from the parking lot near ESPN zone to the AMC and the after party will be held in TL at DL. The date is Saturday May 9th.

lazyboy97o

I love what they did with Alice, is there any history of upgrades making a ride worse?

I can think of several complete overhauls (Journey into Imagination, Stitch vs Alien Encounter, etc) that have been very unpopular but can't think of an example of just adding some new technology to existing rides making it worse.
  • Pirates of Caribbean and the Jack Sparrow nonsense
  • The Haunted Mansion where Constance is not veery popular
  • Space Mountain if you count destroying the structure

George Lucas on a Bench

Just to clarify, my fears aren't exactly technological updates. For the most part, that was stuff was implemented well on Alice. Actually, my issue with the changes to Alice is not so much with the additions, but the removals. I can't exactly see why you would prefer the projected spinning stuff during the rabbit hole door scene at the beginning to the physical set. Along those lines, I didn't like that they added Alice figures (you're supposed to be Alice, why are we seeing her) and I still prefer the old ending with the Cheshire Cat head and the dialogue with Alice. Eh, whatever.

I'm afraid they're going to go through Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the others and remove the more irreverence, the scares, you know the ballsy elements that define them. Alice was never particularly scary, at least in its modern incarnation, but the others are. Seeing as how Disney panders to babies these days, I'm afraid some higher-up is going to order the replacement of the ending of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride where you apparently collide with a locomotive, die and go to hell.

TP2000

I'm afraid they're going to go through Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the others and remove the more irreverence, the scares, you know the ballsy elements that define them. Alice was never particularly scary, at least in its modern incarnation, but the others are. Seeing as how Disney panders to babies these days, I'm afraid some higher-up is going to order the replacement of the ending of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride where you apparently collide with a locomotive, die and go to hell.

Okay. Those are valid concerns. But they've been on a roll lately with doing things the right way in the attractions. I'm going to remain optimistic, but we'll all see for ourselves how Peter Pan turns out a month from now.

That said, if they do wimp out and edit the Going To Hell scene in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I'll be mad as you-know-what.

Sage of Time

I'm not a fan of seeing projected animation in a ride that's supposed to be the physical manifestation of the animation, in the first place. Projecting movie clips in a fantasyland ride just undoes the whole thing. THAT is what I am afraid of and what I don't like about Alice's changes.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's like for every neat update to Alice, there was a crappy removal or change. I like the projections in the rabbit hole, but I don't like that they removed the physical sets. I like the projections in the Golden Afternoon, but I think the TV screen when you enter Wonderland is just cheap. I like the card projections, but I don't like that they removed the charming card doors when you go outside. I like the tea party projections, but I don't like that they removed the Cheshire Cat and Alice dialogue. I like the new Cheshire Cat, but I think the Unbirthday scene was clearly better before.

lego606

MagicBandit
We are exactly one month away from the kickoff of the celebration.

So exciting!! They keep testing all the new things after closing, a friend in DCA Night Custodial has seen the new show twice already :mad:

I can't exactly see why you would prefer the projected spinning stuff during the rabbit hole door scene at the beginning to the physical set.

Cheaper to replace a projector bulb

Sage of Time

Excellent! A little strange with the 'forever young' bit, but I like the retro and classy feel.

It's like for every neat update to Alice, there was a crappy removal or change. I like the projections in the rabbit hole, but I don't like that they removed the physical sets. I like the projections in the Golden Afternoon, but I think the TV screen when you enter Wonderland is just cheap. I like the card projections, but I don't like that they removed the charming card doors when you go outside. I like the tea party projections, but I don't like that they removed the Cheshire Cat and Alice dialogue. I like the new Cheshire Cat, but I think the Unbirthday scene was clearly better before.
Well said.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

Wait, John Debney is scoring nighttime Disney entertainment again?

Fangirling-7.gif

jrlbc06

Any word on when this will all go until? We planned a trip for the first week of May before the info was all available. I'm going to have to go back again to check out all the new stuff and want to know when I'll have until

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I like it -- but did they really not have any older Tea Cup footage that didn't have the construction walls outside of the Matterhorn they could use for this?

I just noticed it. It's no big deal to me. They showed Walt at Disneyland when it was mainly dirt, when they could have showed him at opening day or something. I'm fine with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom