A Spirited Perfect Ten

phillip sugarman

Whats the likelihood that Hollywood Studios gets Marvel characters along with Star Wars and Pixar for the makeover? Screamscape said that Disney and Universal are going to be talking about renegotiating the contract that lets Universal use Marvel characters in their parks in Florida probably in 2017/2018. Except this time, Disney tries to make it so they can use the characters along with Universal for attractions.
http://screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_hollywood_studios.htm#NewName

lazyboy97o

Whats the likelihood that Hollywood Studios gets Marvel characters along with Star Wars and Pixar for the makeover? Screamscape said that Disney and Universal are going to be talking about renegotiating the contract that lets Universal use Marvel characters in their parks in Florida probably in 2017/2018. Except this time, Disney tries to make it so they can use the characters along with Universal for attractions.
Lance is wrong. There are no renewal/renegotiation periods in the contract.

Nubs70

After my visit to UNI, I do not see how anything Marvel fits into anything Disney.

SirLink

The Oriental Land Company deal is so disliked by Disney in part because the licensing deal is so small. Disney gets all of the infrastructure for the park paid for by someone else without it being passed off as debt onto the Disney managed ownership company, like happened with Euro Disney SCA.

Sorry, but this sudden "revelation" of all of the horrors of this deal is people trying to pretend like they are up to date on information that is not new or unexpected. The deal is patterned after the Hong Kong deal, that was signed in 1999, sixteen years ago. Anyone who has been watching expected the Party to be more demanding and watchful of Disney following the park openings of Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Park and finally Hong Kong Disneyland.

Well the Western world expected CCP to prosecute those who infringed WW Copyrights, but that hasn't happened at all. I would of expected Disney to go in and refusing any and every demand the CCP lay to Disney. AS of right now Disney has too many parks in too many countries.

Disney in this deal with CCP will end up being a rougher one than the one they have with OLC. Disney don't have a leg to stand on if the relationship goes Sour.

SirLink

Lance is wrong. There are no renewal/renegotiation periods in the contract.

Lance is well aware of that he mentions that in his little opinion piece he is talking about the license fee that Uni pays Marvel for characters. That is the renegotiation Lance is on about.

PhotoDave219

Zero point zero.

No chance whatsoever.

lazyboy97o

Well the Western world expected CCP to prosecute those who infringed WW Copyrights, but that hasn't happened at all. I would of expected Disney to go in and refusing any and every demand the CCP lay to Disney. AS of right now Disney has too many parks in too many countries.

Disney in this deal with CCP will end up being a rougher one than the one they have with OLC. Disney don't have a leg to stand on if the relationship goes Sour.
There have been huge improvements on the front of IPR in China in the last few years. Its not where the US wants things, but it is moving. The key to strong IPR is internal demand and that has happened within China. There were huge steps taken to gain WTO membership and there are ongoing efforts to finally get off the Special 301 list. While obviously different due to its size, socio-economics and governmental system, when Disney's deal with the Government of Hong Kong was announced in November 1999 it had only been ten months since Hong Kong ended its three years on the Special 301 Watch List. Heck, in 2001 Hong Kong had to delay enforcement of stricter software piracy legislation because it turned out that the biggest target of the crackdown was to be the Government itself. The Mainland has serious challenges complicated by its culture and bureaucracy, but with the right relationships things are made easier.

Lance is well aware of that he mentions that in his little opinion piece he is talking about the license fee that Uni pays Marvel for characters. That is the renegotiation Lance is on about.
The licensing fee is pegged to the Consumer Price Index.

SirLink

There have been huge improvements on the front of IPR in China in the last few years. Its not where the US wants things, but it is moving. The key to strong IPR is internal demand and that has happened within China. There were huge steps taken to gain WTO membership and there are ongoing efforts to finally get off the Special 301 list. While obviously different due to its size, socio-economics and governmental system, when Disney's deal with the Government of Hong Kong was announced in November 1999 it had only been ten months since Hong Kong ended its three years on the Special 301 Watch List. Heck, in 2001 Hong Kong had to delay enforcement of stricter software piracy legislation because it turned out that the biggest target of the crackdown was to be the Government itself. The Mainland has serious challenges complicated by its culture and bureaucracy, but with the right relationships things are made easier.

The licensing fee is pegged to the Consumer Price Index.

1)We are getting near the point where @wdwmagic comes in and says stops the politics talk
2)China needs to switch from being a Communist country.
3)I didn't say anything, just what Lance was discussing, secondly where in the Marvel deal does it say it is linked to CPI - cause I can't see it.

lazyboy97o

1)We are getting near the point where @wdwmagic comes in and says stops the politics talk
3)I didn't say anything, just what Lance was discussing, secondly where in the Marvel deal does it say it is linked to CPI - cause I can't see it.
If he feels differently then so be it, but political discussions have been allowed to continue so long as they remain focused on how they impact the Disney subject matter. Disney eyed Shanghai as the next "go to" location in the mid-1990s. The state of intellectual property rights in the country definitely played a role in the project taking 20 years (which is really impressive since Disney cannot seem to stay focused month-to-month).

As to the Marvel deal, the Annual Fee is set forth in Section V(A).
Annual Fee
Upon the opening of THE SECOND GATE, and on an annual basis thereafter, MCA will pay a fee of $***.

Being pegged to the Consumer Price Index is further down in Section VI(A). Emphasis of the above quoted clause added by me.
All sums to be paid or expended by MCA hereunder pursuant to Sections I(B), II(B), IV(B)(1)(a)(2), IV(B)(2), V(A), V(C), V(D) and V(E) shall be increased for each year after 1998 using the U.S. national CPI as of December 31, 1998 as the base.

Nubs70

I don't see it as politics but as issues of Finance, Marketing, and overall Corporate Strategy as it pertains to SDL. These are the types of discussions that happen in Burbank.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sims has admitted that D’Orazio's claims are true and issued an apology for his behavior. But only five years later and only after D’Orazio publicly called him out on it. At a time when the bad publicity could cost him his big break at Marvel.

I'm disheartened by this news. Marvel was aware of the cyber bullying when it was going on and advised D’Orazio to essentially lay low until it blows over. Now, five years later, they hire her attacker. What kind of message does that send?

This story is so disturbing in the 'snowflake' sense. The mash up of terms including cyberbullying in this is just so wrong. The internet has a long history (good and bad) of people rallying around things like this... but to say you feared for your life or have developed PTSD over people challenging your work online?? Me thinks the problem starts a little closer to home than someone may want to admit.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When it hits the front page of Variety, you should read into it. I recall a certain spirit saying he could be out by Easter, it looks like Rasulo's still on that trajectory. If he keeps unloading shares over the next couple weeks, then we know he's gone.

Stock is at a high... execs cashing in isn't that much news. Even directors need to diversify at times... they don't get paid in OTHER people's stocks ;)

Cesar R M

does this means 2 Iron Mans (or GOTG )rides in both parks?
a kiddy one in WDW and more adventurous one at Universal?

very unlikely imho.

tribbleorlfl

So thats where I live now. A mere five miles away from where the proposed park would have been.

Everything bad that the Anti-Disney crowd said would happen came to pass. Traffic on Rte 15 & I 66 are a disaster. Strip malls. Wal-Mart. McMansions. Lots of half-million dollar homes. Lots of added traffic. Lots of crap.

So who got rich? Developers. No added theme park, no added employer. And a boatload of traffic going through the "rural crescent" and the Battlefield that they so wished to preserve.....
When did you move? Did you get a New job?

Cesar R M

This story is so disturbing in the 'snowflake' sense. The mash up of terms including cyberbullying in this is just so wrong. The internet has a long history (good and bad) of people rallying around things like this... but to say you feared for your life or have developed PTSD over people challenging your work online?? Me thinks the problem starts a little closer to home than someone may want to admit.
Maybe he means "challenging" as in trying to make him get fired for anything he does online?

I've seen it happen a lot.
when people get personal.. some people cant let it go and they can go to very creepy levels of harassment.
Which include a lot of rumours being told to the employee or even the parents.
I've seen it happen before.

twebber55

Screamscape is a shell (and plenty of links to OTHER sites) of what it used it be. Lance lost me years ago when he started pimping some business his wife was running on his site. Just went to the site and it looks the same. Needs a dire update.
I agree..im shocked it gets the credit it does...he doesn't have near the material that this board or OU does for that matter

flynnibus

Premium Member
Still sounds better than O-Town.

Yeah, no fiberglass castles or fake turf here :)
DSC_6448.JPG

002481.JPG
002484.JPG

But you should watch where you step :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom