Disney has distributed 10million MagicBands to guests

yedliW

I only wish that when they say 'customize' it, that meant more than pick from a small selection of colors and how do you want your name spelled on the back..

I still think that DVC should be able to get exclusive color/designs as a perk..

Kamikaze

Accurate yes but I do not think that is a number to brag about when the number of "guests" is skewed.

So its an issue because its MagicBands, but not normally? When Disney used to report attendance numbers, did you say 'Well how many of those guests are the same person more than once, these numbers are skewed!!!'?

I hate the system as much as anyone (haven't been to WDW since it started, and won't go back unless it disappears - I have no interest in pre-planning and micromanaging my vacation like that) but this argument is downright stupid.

If I buy 2 iPhones, should Apple report that they only sold 1 because I'm the same person?

JohnD

Disney announced today that it has distributed 10million MagicBands to guests. Quite a number!

I would like to know the revenue generated in the time period 10 million MBs was reached compared to the same timeframe before MBs. I understand there will be an offset in the $$$ money spent to roll it out. Depending on revenue projections, Disney might consider that money well spent. Remember, MBs aren't just for room entry, park entrance, and FP+ but also almost mindless tap-and-scan purchases.

NMBC1993

Proud to say I do not own one single MagicBand! They almost had me with the HM wallpaper band but I couldn't bring myself to buy it for one specific reason......Why no purple Disney? You do know what color the wallpaper in your 45 year old attraction is, right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You do know what color the wallpaper in your 45 year old attraction is, right?
Marketing and the actual parks are often like a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

A lot of the time they're not even part of the same company.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sad part is, I am doing a quasi-land sea package in the near future. I am using my DVC points for a base of operations for lodging before and after the cruise. Of course, the four of us are each getting a band for the two part stay. What would be even better would be one band for the hotel, use it on the cruise, and back on the hotel.

DCL isn't soiled yet. Use the laynard and card.. and that's all you need. No overkill for other stuff that serves Disney, not you. What would be valuable would be nice if the check-in was integrated and not duplicated... but very different needs.

NMBC1993

Marketing and the actual parks are often like a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

A lot of the time they're not even part of the same company.

Ok, but someone had to create a design, right? Someone had to sign off on the design, right? Someone had to know what material they are using right? So to me, that's not a good excuse. That's like ordering a shipment of Mickey Mouse dolls and when they arrive, Mickey is blue and no one knows why. Someone from inside the company had to know about this (not saying it's a conspiracy or anything) so all I can take away from this is whoever DID sign off on those bands probably figured we're all idiots and would buy them simply because "It's Haunted Mansion and we're ravenous fanboys who won't know the difference".

NMBC1993

Those who sign things off often don't know what they're signing off on. It's just a box to be ticked.

You're right. It's not a good excuse.

Then they should hire people who DO know and DO care what they are signing off on. If it was MY job on the line, I'd want to fly out to that factory and see them in person myself. I know something like "The right color MagicBand" is trivial but what happens when one of these higher-ups sign off on something that causes a lot of trouble for the company?

"Think Before You Leap"...that's my motto, and that's coming from a lefty with ADHD who does stupid things all the time by accident;)

Rob562

Why no purple Disney? You do know what color the wallpaper in your 45 year old attraction is, right?

Last I read, they had been planning on purple to be included all along but were having trouble with the color fading (though I'm not sure if it was due to sunlight or pool water, or a combo of factors) and they pulled it before it went into production. Presumably they're working on a new formula for it but it's been bumped to the back of the line by the cost-recovery specialty Bands.

I've also heard that an all-black Band is one of the most-requested colors from convention-goers. That should be an easy one, just make a Band that's all the same color as the removable edging. It's more of a dark gray than actual black, but it's close enough and they know they have the color formula already.

-Rob

NMBC1993

Last I read, they had been planning on purple to be included all along but were having trouble with the color fading (though I'm not sure if it was due to sunlight or pool water, or a combo of factors) and they pulled it before it went into production. Presumably they're working on a new formula for it but it's been bumped to the back of the line by the cost-recovery specialty Bands.

I've also heard that an all-black Band is one of the most-requested colors from convention-goers. That should be an easy one, just make a Band that's all the same color as the removable edging. It's more of a dark gray than actual black, but it's close enough and they know they have the color formula already.

-Rob

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Rob. That would make sense if that's the reason for the coloring difference. It's too bad they decided to not move forward on fixing that specific color, but knowing the brains at Disney they probably thought...

Fix our already in production Haunted Mansion bands < Frozen/event specific bands

disney4life2008

So its an issue because its MagicBands, but not normally? When Disney used to report attendance numbers, did you say 'Well how many of those guests are the same person more than once, these numbers are skewed!!!'?

I hate the system as much as anyone (haven't been to WDW since it started, and won't go back unless it disappears - I have no interest in pre-planning and micromanaging my vacation like that) but this argument is downright stupid.

If I buy 2 iPhones, should Apple report that they only sold 1 because I'm the same person?

Actually, I like the new system. My only problem is that it has increased wait times on nearly all attractions but I appreciate that I can reserve attractions in advance.

docandsix

Can the bands be recycled? For a company that has been extolling its commitment to the environment, sending numerous bands to one household seems shortsighted and counterproductive. Making it possible (and easy and intuitive) to reuse bands would save resources and money.

New attraction at Animal Kingdom--a water ride through an environment destroyed by drilling for petroleum to create 10,000,000 mostly unneeded, redundant Magic Bands that now sit unused in junk drawers all over the world.

seascape

My wife and I each get 4 bands a year for free from Disney for our 3 trips and 1 for our annual pass. We also have purchased some special limited editions. I have been told that they last 3 years so we need a couple new ones each year so we have all colors to use every day. I agree with other posters that Disney should offer upgrades to the bands for a small cost. I would love to own bands dedicated to each of the DVC resorts. Just think charging $15.00 for each band which only costs a couple of dollars and rather than having the resort pay Disney for the bands the customer pays and its all profit. I would love it and gladly pay and those who don't won't have to.

RSoxNo1

Can we talk about the entry points and how they're not at a convenient height for adults or kids? They're at a convenient height for 12 year olds and that's about it.

We see backups at Fastpass+ scanning at high capacity attractions all the time. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Expedition Everest are issues on a daily basis. Guests don't use both sides at the entry gates of the park with regularity, nor do they use them at Fastpass+. One of the main reasons is space. My suggestion, widen the space between the two posts, and put two Mickey faces on each post, one at kid height and one at adult height. The other option is to take advantage of the long range RFID readers that would make it so you don't actually have to scan them and are only stopped if there's an issue. The latter would truly be more efficient.

Next Big Thing

Can the bands be recycled? For a company that has been extolling its commitment to the environment, sending numerous bands to one household seems shortsighted and counterproductive. Making it possible (and easy and intuitive) to reuse bands would save resources and money
They do recycle the bands if possible. CMs are instructed to turn in any Magic Bands they find and they determine what to do with them from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom