A Spirited Perfect Ten

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wonder what the story is here. Speculate away.

Orlando Sentinel reports that Erin Wallace is leaving WDW...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-erin-wallace-disney-20150120-story.html
"This summer in Norway, the land that inspired Arendelle from “Frozen,” Disney Magic cruisers will have the opportunity to join exciting new Port Adventures that bring this fairytale setting to life. One signature adventure ashore in Ålesund, Norway, created exclusively for Disney Cruise Line, will immerse guests in the splendor and charm of Norway, with the help of Anna and Elsa, in an enchanting storybook village."

This made me gag...

Sped2424

"This summer in Norway, the land that inspired Arendelle from “Frozen,” Disney Magic cruisers will have the opportunity to join exciting new Port Adventures that bring this fairytale setting to life. One signature adventure ashore in Ålesund, Norway, created exclusively for Disney Cruise Line, will immerse guests in the splendor and charm of Norway, with the help of Anna and Elsa, in an enchanting storybook village."

This made me gag...
If frozen is the gateway for people to learn about Norway on a cruise then so be it. It's actually not that bad of a thing

Sped2424

How about visiting Norway as being the gateway to learning about Norway?

It is a bad thing.

Just imagine how ignorant your child will be when she meets someone who says they are from Norway and they ask "Do you know Anna and Elsa?"
I am not saying that people shouldn't visit norway, just that this is going to be a gateway for folks who never would have otherwise. And that is a good thing. And I am not worried about children asking ignorant things, the Adults from America on the other hand...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This is what I've gotten out of this discussion too.

As for timeline. I can tell you that when I first started participating in Disney Internet fandom near the end of 1996, there were already elements of what other people would call "lifestyler" behavior. I'm just not sure where others would draw the line.

I spent a great deal of 1997-1999 on mIRC chatting it up with Deb Wills, Deb Koma (although, she was pretty much just a Mom back then...maybe the original Disney Mommy if I really stop to think about it), and the rest of the original crew that went on to become the AllEarsNet team. I wouldn't put them in the "lifestyle" category. They had an interest, better financials or a better location to be able to visit more than the rest, and a desire to inform. but I couldn't say the same about everyone that wasn't hanging on to their every word. People were already rearranging their lives to make their home more Disney, be able to afford more trips, how their personalities could be more Disney. It started before I showed up, but the old RAD group, prior to RADP had already created the Trimobius Disney Cabinet. For most people, it meant you picked a silly name, and put a line in your signature, and that was the end of it. But for more than one person it meant that everything they posted, must be written in a style that supported your TDC persona. Some of it more respectable than others. Anyone else remember Iago and Zazu's Attraction of the Week posts? That was what we had at the time for more detailed Disney info. That, Yesterland, and the infrequent posts from Widen Your World, but Bruce and Ronnie introduced that "character personality" into the narrative. And all the sig conventions of posting how many times you had visited, where you had stayed, originated on USENET. I never got into the Emuck stuff, but I would guess lifestyler behavior was there. And some Disney fandoms pre-date the internet. The Mouse Club, was founded in 1979. And while I'm sure most people were primarily interested in simply finding "like-minded individuals", and sources to buy and sell collectibles, I'm pretty sure there were already more than one person who went far beyond that, based on interactions with people years later in other avenues.

My own "claim to Disney internet fame" was in 1998/1999, my husband and I got upgraded to a night in the Yellowstone Suite at WL. Took a whole roll of film, just "documenting the room" (oh, if digital cameras were just a little farther along) I couldn't WAIT to get back home to put them on my dinky, little website. And yes, people just gushed over it, and yes it was thrilling.

Technology has given "lifestylers" better tools to work with (digital cameras, blogs, twitter). And some of the "expression" has changed. We were part of the NFFC from 1998-2005ish, and while attending conventions you could certainly see that your "worth" could be measured by some in how many Disney Legends would count you as a "friend." Same thing happens now, but we look at it differently, because so many of the true Disney Legends have passed on, or aren't doing well. Saying you were "so lucky" because you spent last weekend at the Davis' house (with both Marc and Alice) instantaneously had more value than taking selfies with random Disney Parks Blogger. If the 90's gang, had had similar technology all of the lifestyler stuff would have played out in a much more apparent way then.
Heh, I gave my money to Mardam-Bey years ago. <wink>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am not saying that people shouldn't visit norway, just that this is going to be a gateway for folks who never would have otherwise. And that is a good thing. And I am not worried about children asking ignorant things, the Adults from America on the other hand...
You miss my point. I strongly doubt that someone who can afford DCL cruise rates and goes on one of the iteneraries that involves Norway (or any country) is going to avoid Port Excursions in said country.

What makes me upset is them using Frozen as some sort of "cultural ambassador" for Norway.

At least Mulan makes SOME sense, as it's based in China. Or Snow White in Germany. Or Belle in France.

Frozen is based in a fictional land "inspired" (they say) by Norway, and "based" (also a joke...it's not even close) on a Danish fairy tale. It's about as accurate and effective as learning about Canadian Culture by watching South Park.

If you dumb subjects down, you'll end up with dumb subjects. If you dumb experiences down, you'll end up with dumb experiences, and that's exactly what that is. Why someone needs "Anna and Elsa" to "help" (as the Disney blog says in their marketing for it) learn and experience Norway is beyond me.

Mike S

You miss my point. I strongly doubt that someone who can afford DCL cruise rates and goes on one of the iteneraries that involves Norway (or any country) is going to avoid Port Excursions in said country.

What makes me upset is them using Frozen as some sort of "cultural ambassador" for Norway.

At least Mulan makes SOME sense, as it's based in China. Or Snow White in Germany. Or Belle in France.

Frozen is based in a fictional land "inspired" (they say) by Norway, and "based" (also a joke...it's not even close) on a Danish fairy tale. It's about as accurate and effective as learning about Canadian Culture by watching South Park.

If you dumb subjects down, you'll end up with dumb subjects. If you dumb experiences down, you'll end up with dumb experiences, and that's exactly what that is. Why someone needs "Anna and Elsa" to "help" (as the Disney blog says in their marketing for it) learn and experience Norway is beyond me.
Are you trying to tell me Canadians don't all have flapping heads and watch Terrance & Phillip on The Canada Channel, the only channel in Canada?!?! Next you'll tell me all the stereotypes are completely wrong. You just flipped around my whole world view!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:

Mike S

I hope they don't ever. Each park should have their own rides...I am so sick of direct clones.

Where they do "clone" concepts, they should make them unique to the Park.

The disturbing trend (which I get from a business perspective) I've seen is that they design a ride, and at BEST reskin it and plop it with a new paintjob and theme (but no other enhancements) in the other park.

While that works for some small rides (like Teacups)...it really shouldn't be the general rule.

I'm referring to LM, mostly. It wasn't a great ride at DCA, and it's not a great ride at MK. It really feels cheap. Sourin' is another example, and probably the most prominent. They didn't even bother to change out the movie when moving it to EPCOT...
I think after 20 years Disney would be able to come up with changes and improvements they could make to a new IJA in WDW. Like I said they could dust off the old plans for The Lost Expedition. Maybe even a new theme for the ride like Atlantis. It doesn't have to be a direct clone unless they were just being lazy. Even then it wouldn't be that bad as the original is still great.

71jason

It is a bad thing.

Just imagine how ignorant your child will be when she meets someone who says they are from Norway and they ask "Do you know Anna and Elsa?"

There's a statue of Peter Pan in Hyde Park. People still search for 21B Baker Street. Neither detracted from my time in London. I think you're grasping at straws here.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It is a bad thing.

The mind boggles and for that reason ALONE this is a BAD idea.

NearTheEars

Not unless they take these folks to Norway and tell them false tales about Anna and Elsa, intertwining them with the nation's history and parading them as facts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using them to encourage people to visit Norway IMO. Its a marketing tool. And it will likely be successful for DCL and Norway tourism.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney is sitting on its history, its legacy, its IPs largely. Time Warner is not a great analogy, although there probably isn't one.

Disney is unique in the media/entertainment business. As soon as it becomes just a collection of BRANDS, the core of what made it special and unique is diminished. I'd argue that is exactly what has happened. I'm not an ESPN fan for life. I didn't grow up pretending I was Captain America with my friends and dressing as him for Halloween. I may love the Muppets, but I also realize that Disney likely wasted their chance to be truly relevant in a big way again. I saw the original six Star Wars films in multiplexes. But my desire to see The Young Bobba Fett Chronicles isn't even on the charts compared with seeing EPCOT get some love or the MK or anywhere at WDW. I am struggling to name three shows on ABC Family or the Disney Channel right now.

What I am saying and, likely not very well as it's been a long ar$e day, is that the day that Mickey, animation and theme parks don't define the company to the masses, then it's time to break it up and sell off the pieces. Because SportsCenter, Handy Manny, Darth Vader and the Hulk sure as hell don't.

Disney is Mickey Mouse, an animation legacy dating to the dawn of film making and Disneyland.

That is it.

If you think the other stuff is more important (and more valuable), then you've gone over to the real world dark side.

Yes @WDW1974 Disney HAS gone over to the Dark Side, They are now VIACOM without the creativity,

When in-house people accidentally produce a success i.e. 'Phineas and Ferb' - which was wildly popular with kids, teens and adults especially those with the nerd gene they kill it and replace it with some generic C--p.

It's almost as if they are afraid of creating their own franchises.

I'm just waiting for the day when TWDC is renamed Iger Media Holdings LLC.

doctornick

Headline from October 1st, 2016 WSJ:

The Walt Disney Co. Changes Name To DisIger Media Holdings.

Burbank, CA: Bob Iger announced in a vast reorganisation of the companies holdings that the parent company of such lucrative brands as ESPN, Marvel, Star Wars, PIXAR and Disney would change it's name to DisIger Media Holdings.

Blah, blah blah.......and Wall Street Cheered!

I've already said on here that we need some sort of differentiation between the Disney "brand" and the Disney "company".

Honestly, it would make a lot of sense for The Walt Disney Company, a multinational mass media conglomerate, to change to a different name. Unfortunately, there just isn't a good option for a name -- the easiest way to do that is when another large company is purchased and their name is adapted. But what would TWDC use? Capital Cities?

I actually think using something like Retlaw would be as good as any option. But still completely unrealistic.

If you rename TWDC to a different name, then you avoid any confusion about the brands the company owns. It becomes clear that "Disney" refers to Mickey and the animated film history and the theme parks, etc. while Marvel, Lucasfilm, Muppets, etc. are just different brands owned by the same company.

FigmentFreak

This tidbit from the recently released 2014 annual report should interest everyone:

I wish I could give you a glimpse of the amazing wonders we’re bringing to life for our guests – especially in our new park in Shanghai and expansion in Orlando -- but it’s simply too soon to share. All I can say right now is: prepare to be even more amazed.​

What a tease. :D

The Orlando expansion is probably just the central hub work at MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom