A Spirited Perfect Ten

NearTheEars

Tron was not a successful tent pole launch. If it was we would have Tron 3 by now. Iger flubbed the Narnia and Muppets franchises with the second movie. No sequel to Oz or Alice. Has one been announced for Maleficent? I don’t see a franchise there.

I don’t see a great track record for launching franchises under Iger. He's had some live action hits and also some legendary failures.

Tron grossed $400 million during its run. Certainly not Frozen numbers, but not chump change.

I think we'll see another installment in a few years.

Mike S

Tron was not a successful tent pole launch. If it was we would have Tron 3 by now. Iger flubbed the Narnia and Muppets franchises with the second movie. No sequel to Oz or Alice. Has one been announced for Maleficent? I don’t see a franchise there.

I don’t see a great track record for launching franchises under Iger. He's had some live action hits and also some legendary failures.
An Alice sequel is coming actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland:_Through_the_Looking_Glass

shannon12

He already dons the style perfectly in Jurassic Park.

KNGZjPZ.jpg
I could look t this picture ALL DAY

lazyboy97o

Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass is set for a May 2016 release.

Tentpole =/ franchise
Iger has made repeated comments about how he is in the franchise business and that films are intended to be the start of franchises.

Tony Perkis

It's more than just a hit. Otherwise every hit movie would be a tentpole. If we're not talking sequels, there needs to be some kind of successful tie in. I don’t think most of the movies you mentioned qualify.
I can't agree with this.

A tentpole, per Hollywood's definition, is a major released designed to support the period's financial performance and compensate for potential flops. In short, it's supposed to be THE big release for a studio that period. That does not mean it has to spawn into a franchise.

Inception and Interstellar were tentpoles for WB. They have and won't spawn sequels.

Signs was a tentpole for Touchstone. It has zero sequels.

Many Pixar films are considered tentpole films, yet most of them don't have sequels.

It is not a requirement to produce a franchise with a tentpole. That sort of reasoning is part of why Hollywood is in such a creative mess these days.

lazyboy97o

I can't agree with this.

A tentpole, per Hollywood's definition, is a major released designed to support the period's financial performance and compensate for potential flops. In short, it's supposed to be THE big release for a studio that period. That does not mean it has to spawn into a franchise.

Inception and Interstellar were tentpoles for WB. They have and won't spawn sequels.

Signs was a tentpole for Touchstone. It has zero sequels.

Many Pixar films are considered tentpole films, yet most of them don't have sequels.

It is not a requirement to produce a franchise with a tentpole. That sort of reasoning is part of why Hollywood is in such a creative mess these days.
A tentpole per Iger's definition is supposed to start or continue a franchise.

lebeau

A tentpole per Iger's definition is supposed to start or continue a franchise.

Right. Even by a more general definition, there is an expectation that a tentpole goes beyond the movie's individual grosses. Some kind of tie in revenue. Not every hit movie qualifies as a tentpole. If they did, we wouldn't differentiate between hits and tentpoles.

Tony Perkis

Right. Even by a more general definition, there is an expectation that a tentpole goes beyond the movie's individual grosses. Some kind of tie in revenue. Not every hit movie qualifies as a tentpole. If they did, we wouldn't differentiate between hits and tentpoles.
A studio's expectation of a tentpole is determined well before the film is released. Its grosses are irrelevant in regard to its positioning as a tentpole release.

lebeau

A studio's expectation of a tentpole is determined well before the film is released. Its grosses are irrelevant in regard to its positioning as a tentpole release.

Fair enough. In that case I should have been more specific. I was referring to successful tentpoles.

By Iger's own definition, his track record isn't great.

Disneyhead'71

I still don't want Marvel in any of the Disney parks. Let the ROBERT IGER COMPANY make the movies and rake in the dough...but keep the Hulk out of Disneyland PLEASE. Thank god WDW will be free of them. Yay lawyers! (Star Wars is already in DHS, which right now hasn't any particular character anyway, and so is Indy, sort of, so whatever, sigh, bummer. And of COURSE there will be more. But I bet most families who come to the parks still prefer to see Walt Disney over George Lucas any day - a rather pertinent assertion, perhaps, given the recent massive floppage of "Strange Magic", even though the ads touted that it was "from the mind of George Lucas"!!! Box office poison...?)

As for what you're hinting...I do believe that Iger feels that way. He sees the Disney classics and traditions as old stuff, and so he feels he needs to bring in new stuff (at least stuff that's new to the company). He is so completely tone-deaf to what made Disney DISNEY to most people that it'd be almost comical, if it weren't so tragic...
See this is total brand advocation. I think you honestly believe that most people go to Disney parks because of their love of the Disney brand. Not simply because they are amazing theme parks in an amazing family vacation environment. You believe that MOST people are bothered by the fact the Indy isn't Disney and shouldn't be in the parks. I think you're dillusional. Most families don't know, and don't care. That is one major reason that Universal has been able to make not only make "in roads" into Disney's market, but a freakin' interstate highway.

My apologies to @WDW1974, here in Otown, it has become the IP WARS. But, and that's a big but, that doesn't mean TWDC has to look outside of their vast library of IPs to find suitable IPs to exploit. You can blame to boys up the street for causing the IP WARS. And bare in mind, they still have an ace or two in their hand yet to drop.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

When you fail at a tangible thing it's there as a reminder to everyone.

When a financial scheme fails no one remembers it except for the historians. Does anyone remember Bear Stearns or Lehman Brothers, Or that Lehman brothers was allowed to fail because some powerful pol's got burned when Lehman Bros refused to save BCCI (a bank used by arms dealers and other less savory 'Businessmen') a few years ago,

Can't imagine WHY Lehman of retirement fund fame would want to be associated with a bank with it's head office in Karachi, Pakistan and incorporated in Luxemburg and who's customers included Abu Nidal, Manuel Noriega and the CIA.
JCWGxom.jpg

Cesar R M

Why not - the computer models are already built and ready to use, Just change the palette a bit and you have saved MILLIONS on production costs. And because you are using the PROVEN Frozen characters Moana (i.e. tan Elsa) will be just as big a success as was Frozen.

I'm trying to figure out what Olaf can be - perhaps a rock spirit... Sven much harder problem as large quadrupeds are not common in the South Pacific...
yVH7JwF.gif

I hope.. really hope.. this post falls into obscurity and no single WDC executive can read it.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Big Picture Musing:

Well, I guess Juno (when did we start naming winter storms?) derailed this into At The Movies With Some MAGIC.

It is always something. Tomorrow, it will be fanbois talking about DL's 60th media event (BTW, any bloggers, lifestylers, podcasters or just members of this community going to be there?) and trying to extrapolate things that aren't there based on what they so desire.

Me?

I'm very interested in who replaces Bob Iger in 2018 (yes, that does seem so long compared to 2016). I think that's more important than any other topic here, but I realize that I'm not everyone.

I did get one very unexpected, and insightful, bonus of the storm that walloped (love that weather terminology ... bet Bob still recalls when he was using words like that) parts of the NE today. It allowed me to spend some quality time talking Disney with someone who is paid highly to follow the company and was snowed in at home all day.

He/she read both of the stories we were talking about here. But said that colleagues likely read the Huff Po column because it was a strict business op-ed piece by someone in the industry.

Said the impact on it wouldn't make any difference to Bob, but that it just added ''more gravitas'' to the reason Bob got two more years: namely, the Street doesn't have any faith in Rasulo and Staggs to be a No. 1. Said that ''your (my) issues with Bob wanting to open the beachhead in Shanghai and watch Star Wars explode as a Disney property or wanting to watch the box office tally on a few more billion dollar Marvel films are all true, no doubt, but they're ancillary. Bob is remaining because Disney hasn't come up with a legit candidate they can sell to the Street to replace him.''

The long and short of it is that if Wall Street had any faith in these guys, both with numbers/strategic planning pedigrees, Bob likely would be gone in June of next year regardless of anything else.

I keep saying ... telling people ... that the next head of Disney won't be one of these men and Disney's publicity machine kicks in (at least I don't believe the vast majority of fans have any degree of warmth in either individual) with all the PR and planted stories designed to create a false reality.

I've talked a lot about change here. I think people often don't understand that it comes slowly ... sometimes slower than climate change. But big change absolutely can happen. For Disney, that would be an outsider running the company. Not as farfetched a reality as it would have been a few years ago.

Oh, and I'll weigh in on the Indy rumor that Deadline put up by first saying it's old. People were mentioning the very talented Chris Pratt (who was great as usual in Parks and Rec tonight) as a possible Indy before GotG became a huge hit. I think he'd make a great one, actually. But I'll also say that Disney is in no hurry whatsoever to reboot the franchise. It could happen ... but it is many moons away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom