A Spirited Perfect Ten

Animaniac93-98

When was the last time Imagineering was told to "Make the best attractions you can"?

Mystic Manor, and before that Radiator Springs Racers.

I also thought Ratatouille was more fun than most WDW attractions added over the last 10 years.

The OP also posted a nearly glowing review of the Fantasy cruise ship.

As has been said before, WDW-centric fans should spend there time exploring the Disney world beyond WDW, and maybe see the real thing in the process.

FrankLapidus

spirit, speaking of frozen merch, I found it interesting that in the Norway pavilion again today since they have the first two to three rooms filled with it, not one person was looking at or buying anything frozen. Everyone was more interested in the trolls, and fragrance and clothing in the back. In fact those first rooms were void of people, but busy as can be in the other parts. I think the saturation point has clearly been reached, maybe that will change when the ride opens but right now no one seemed to care, (which made me happy :)) none of it was moving and it was way over stocked.

It could just be that Frozen merchandise is everywhere while the Norway-specific merchandise is confined to the Puffin's Roost (is it still called that?) and so might get more interest over stuff that can be bought at pretty much every other store on property.

I don't think the Frozen bubble has even begun to burst just yet, I'd imagine Frozen-related merchandise remains one of, if not the, biggest money spinner at the resort. If the craze is beginning to subside it will get a boost with the upcoming short that's scheduled for release some time this spring. Then we'll get the ride and the seemingly inevitable sequel...

Its good to hear that people remain interested in the country-specific merchandise though, it helps to retain some of World Showcase's uniqueness.. The shops around WS are always fun to stroll through and look around, especially the ones in Japan and China. The Norway shop usually has some great stuff as well.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

It could just be that Frozen merchandise is everywhere while the Norway-specific merchandise is confined to the Puffin's Roost (is it still called that?) and so might get more interest over stuff that can be bought at pretty much every other store on property.

I don't think the Frozen bubble has even begun to burst just yet, I'd imagine Frozen-related merchandise remains one of, if not the, biggest money spinner at the resort. If the craze is beginning to subside it will get a boost with the upcoming short that's scheduled for release some time this spring. Then we'll get the ride and the seemingly inevitable sequel...

Its good to hear that people remain interested in the country-specific merchandise though, it helps to retain some of World Showcase's uniqueness.. The shops around WS are always fun to stroll through and look around, especially the ones in Japan and China. The Norway shop usually has some great stuff as well.

Yes it is still called Puffins Roost, there is a new or refreshed sign above the first door.
and agree Im glad there is still interest prevailing for Norwegian items. The huge troll is still really popular.

Clamman73

Yeah...it's just biding its time until the resurgence.

Rodan75

The 'bar that must be sought to find' is there on the Fantasy even with the kiddie water area... It's just a small one on the port side that basically exists only along the walkway to the sports area.

I'm sure being sent to work that bar must feel like being sent to Siberia :)

On our last trip, that bar was a service bar only. Where they left the drink of the day out for refills with no one manning the station....

Kman101

Mystic Manor, and before that Radiator Springs Racers.

I also thought Ratatouille was more fun than most WDW attractions added over the last 10 years.

The OP also posted a nearly glowing review of the Fantasy cruise ship.

As has been said before, WDW-centric fans should spend there time exploring the Disney world beyond WDW, and maybe see the real thing in the process.

I agree fans should visit other Disney parks. But at the same time that doesn't excuse them not investing in quality attractions in Florida.

Sped2424

Either you're using some sort of censored Chinese internet, or you've never really looked very hard.
...My dude. I have found more than enough sites and I am telling you what I know. Dvd quality leaks do not happen for a every film a month after release. It's only during screener season we see this kind of stuff go down. Take it for what you will but things outside of the academy stream rarely leak that early. Also if it was chinese internet I think I would have bootlegs much faster considering that's how a lot of them come out.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One highlight of a Disney Cruise (or most others for that matter) is the guest speakers/experts that give talks/presentations on the voyage.

I'm sure all my bois in the Twitverse will recall that on my Disney Wonder cruise thru the Panama Canal this past spring Disney animator turned Imagineer George Scribner confirmed that Malestrom was going to be replaced by a Frozen attraction (something I had been told prior but didn't put out for certain until his confirmation).

No attraction news this time around ... but Broadway news as Disney Theatrical exec Clifford Schwartz was onboard (along with his wife and lovely daughters) and he gave a few talks. His big work is in staging productions around the world such as Aida in South Korea, Tarzan in Germany (need to get Angie to go!) and, right now, the first road versions of Aladdin in Japan and Australia.

He did talk enthusiastically about Frozen on Broadway (which he is not a part of) as well as the early stages of Pinocchio (not sure whether this news has been out yet).

He didn't talk about Hunchback, which has been testing in SoCal recently, and I never got a chance to ask him what the status/timeline for getting this to Broadway (where it has so longed to be!) was/is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Jumping around a bit, but BIG news to me and really heartening news is what UNI is doing in the early planning for its massive Beijing resort.

The park will feature MANY IPs that you see in O-Town, Hollywood, Osaka, and Singapore, as well as new ones and local nods as well.

But what excites me, and I'll write about as I'm allowed, is that UNI is going in very much like Disney did in Paris. New takes on the classics (old ones and new ones). Think using the familiar IP in completely new and exciting presentations. I'm absolutely thrilled by what I've heard and I believe this won't change as, you can see by Disney's dealings in HK and Shanghai, the Chinese leadership want unique parks and unique experiences.

I just don't see UNI-Beijing being one screen-based attraction after another.

One bad thing I've heard, looks like a total Transformers clone is a given considering that UNI can pop these out quickly and how big those films have been in China.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Let's head back to Dizzy World. And my favorite time of day: night.

Illuminations is safe for the foreseeable future, unfortunately, even if it looks much better with its kewl new lasers (only testing when I saw it) and upgrades.

Fantasmic appears safe as well, although it will 'hopefully' see upgrades in the next 2-3 years.

Wishes still is slated for replacement, although whether it will be 2016 or 2017 is in question. MSEP isn't. TDO intends to trot this dinosaur out until the very last float drops dead. No budget and no plans to ever do anything more. If MK gets a new night parade, it may well be for the 50th Anniversary ... or 75th ... who knows?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, I've now done three complete trips to WDW utilizing FP+ and I'm truly happy to say that I can game this system just as much as any one they have had.

I feel like the only purpose for it at EPCOT is so I can get off a cruise ship at 8 a.m. and ride Soarin by lunchtime, which NEVER has happened in FL before for me. I suppose it might be worth it for better viewing of RoE, but haven't tried that.

At DAK, it almost is totally unneeded unless you are there at a very busy period. You grab one for KS, one for EE, one for Dinosaur and then do another rid or two on EE with single rider and KS later in the day and the rest is open for walking and animal encounters and soaking in WDW's most beautiful park.

I guess at Studios, it can guarantee you a ride on TSMM ... I don't like the attraction, so it really doesn't matter. Seems like I'm always FP'ing ToT and ST ...

MK, naturally, is where it is needed and it absolutely works. My last night there (a lonely cold one as I had to drop Angie off at MCO), I think I did 14 attractions from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. when it was packed and had dinner as well. Three FPs in advance (thanks, Angie!) for Space Mtn, BTMRR and PPF. Added one for Pooh after the first three. And did things like SDMT, Small World, Pirates, Mansion and Jingle Cruise (which I very much enjoyed, thanks for asking). Again, the key is familiarity. So folks like myself will always have an advantage over newbies or folks unfamiliar with the system who think they need a FP for the MSEP ... and one to meet any character who wasn't living in Arendelle ... and one for Dumbo or Small World.

A key element to FP+ working is Disney actively taking advantage of ignorant guests. Of course, folks like myself have been doing so for years -- yes, I still enjoy it when there are 15 people on one side of a register and two on the other and I get in the side with two to order my overpriced QS grub with little wait. A key lesson in life (other than not to buy appliances from the Home Depot unless you want to wait seven weeks to have a working dishwasher and then have a spare in the garage that the delivery company wanted to keep and file an insurance claim -- after another delivery company did just that with another one a few weeks ago!) is if you don't know what the system is, or how it works, stop for a minute or three and observe what is happening around you.

wogwog

Let's head back to Dizzy World. And my favorite time of day: night.

Illuminations is safe for the foreseeable future, unfortunately, even if it looks much better with its kewl new lasers (only testing when I saw it) and upgrades.

Fantasmic appears safe as well, although it will 'hopefully' see upgrades in the next 2-3 years.

Wishes still is slated for replacement, although whether it will be 2016 or 2017 is in question. MSEP isn't. TDO intends to trot this dinosaur out until the very last float drops dead. No budget and no plans to ever do anything more. If MK gets a new night parade, it may well be for the 50th Anniversary ... or 75th ... who knows?
Maybe they will put lights on the MiSiDaPi Street Party and trot it out at night. After all they only run it three times a day now.:hungover:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hi Spirit,

Any clarification or comment on SDL's opening/progress... There have been some mixed signals from the Company in the past few months with Iger saying in a live Oct/Nov 2014 CNBC interview "SDL will open a couple of years from now", e.g. 3rd Quarter 2016. But, the recent Iger Fortune cover story seems to be sticking to the original "Late 2015" opening. My guess from looking at the progress pics is late 2015 is too optimistic.

There's been rumors on sites like MiceChat of "massive delays", with MC citing Chinese red-tape (I thought one reason the Chinese build so quickly was the minimizing of red tape).

Am hoping for a lot more official info soon since the late 2015 date has been circulated for several years now.

Cheers,

Everything I have heard from folks over there and on the left coast is the project is hugely behind schedule and can't open before late spring of 2016 unless HUGE portions are simply left out.

Since I intend to be at the opening, this is a concern for me as I generally don't travel to Asia on a few weeks notice. But beyond myself and my favorite hillbilly @Lee and my favorite Lifestyler @WDWFigment and possibly 3-4 others here, I don't think it matters much because they won't likely ever go there.

I do know a few folks who intend to be at the shareholders meeting in March who are going to try and grill Iger on this during the Q&A (and on a few other China specific matters :) )

WDW1974

Original Poster
One could argue that Lion King did keep on going for years on end, Lion King on Broadway is consistently the highest or second highest grossing Broadway show, it switches places with a green witch every week. It has staying power at premium prices! I just saw it for the first time, I've seen 75 Broadway shows in the past 4 years and Lion King was the only one I have seen that I paid full price for, normally I get comp tickets or rush them.
Edit* If Frozen lands on Broadway and proves as successful it will be singing let it go for some time.

A very good point (especially with The Lion King back in South Florida for the rest of January!) ... and I've seen the show 4-5 times at least now, although I have gotten seats that weren't full price on some of them (last show was when it had a base at Mandalay Bay in Vegas in 2011 and I paid full price for that).

But I'd argue that even the most successful Broadway show that tours the USA doesn't (sadly) attract the majority of fans of Disney or a film etc.

Totally random point: Wall Street must feel awful that both oil is crashing and the dollar is strong ... they say both are bad for Americans. And you know that you can always trust Wall Street to have YOUR interests at heart, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom