The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Lastly, about the books stores that have bit the dust in your area, I found it interesting that you still have Barnes and Noble, because that's the only big name book store that we have too. All others are gone. Thanks goodness, there are a few small, sole proprietorship book stores in a few towns close by me.

Yep, other than a few mom and pop-type book stores, pretty much all we have around here are Barnes & Noble and Half Price Books. Both, 5 min. away.
Half Price Books is actually pretty cool, though. They have tons of used books, as well as new, plus lots of old books. :)

donaldtoo

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah!

Hahaaa...!!!
Yea, I was jokin' with the partners last night that they shoulda' given us all fake "Jelly of the Month Club" envelopes before they gave us the real thing, during the first round of Bonusfest earlier in the day...! :)

donaldtoo

@donaldtoo[/USER] Well the verdict is the Disney Store is still toys and dress up clothes. Bought new baby a nice sized Minnie Mouse and matching shopping bag. I was never greeted. They have new costumes that look real warm. They are polyester suits with cotton dress shirts. They have to wear a tie, bow tie or scarf. Very similar to the new uniforms at the American Pavilion. They really look like flight attendants now. The girl that checked me out was over the top wonderful. There were two young grade school kids that she was creating some magic for. Good to see.

And Minnie is for her.

View attachment 76917

Yep, our Store has about 3,000 sq. ft. of on stage floor space (one of the larger ones in the country), so there's a bit more variety. But, the product demographic is still, pretty much, 2-12 year olds.
And, yes, I noticed they changed costumes again, too.
I wore three different ones over the time I was a CM there. The original red ones that were left over after the Children's Place buyout, the gingham after that, and then the (what I called it, anyway) midnight blue costume.
I also wore four different name tags. Again, the original, red-themed Children's Place one, then the Disney blue, then a silver one for being the most Magical CM for one of the quarters when they still did that, and then my Management Team name tag.
I know from what you've posted in the past how you feel about greetings when you walk into a store, but, it was something that was a must-do (as per TWDC, DCP policy) that I actually always enjoyed. I'm a pretty personable kinda' guy, and it was always fun for me, although most of my fellow CMs hated doin' it. Over time, it became kind of an art to me. Upon initial greeting, I knew just how to continue with that particular guest(s) visit at our Store for the rest of their time there.
And, creating that Disney Magic for the Guests was my absolute FAVORITE part of the job. No doubt, it was absolutely nuts, at times, but, I left my shifts smiling many more times than otherwise, reflecting on how I had made one or more Guests visit a Magical one. :)

donaldtoo

What an attractive restaurant, and the food looked delicious! :hungry: It was positively astonishing to read that the partners handed out even MORE money at the party!!! :eek: :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull: I love it when good things happen to nice people.

That was a great gift you received, and perfect for someone who knows how to use tools! :)

Thanks!
Yes, it was crazy! My envelope earlier in the day already contained more than last year, and then they went and piled more on...!!! :joyfull: :)
The designated partner that made the speech must have mentioned how good a year it was 10 times.
It sure musta' been...! :jawdrop:
I must say, though, these gentlemen have always been generous when they can be, and that's why we all love it there.
Plus, the party was a BLAST...!!! :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yep, our Store has about 3,000 sq. ft. of on stage floor space (one of the larger ones in the country), so there's a bit more variety. But, the product demographic is still, pretty much, 2-12 year olds.
And, yes, I noticed they changed costumes again, too.
I wore three different ones over the time I was a CM there. The original red ones that were left over after the Children's Place buyout, the gingham after that, and then the (what I called it, anyway) midnight blue costume.
I also wore four different name tags. Again, the original, red-themed Children's Place one, then the Disney blue, then a silver one for being the most Magical CM for one of the quarters when they still did that, and then my Management Team name tag.
I know from what you've posted in the past how you feel about greetings when you walk into a store, but, it was something that was a must-do (as per TWDC, DCP policy) that I actually always enjoyed. I'm a pretty personable kinda' guy, and it was always fun for me, although most of my fellow CMs hated doin' it. Over time, it became kind of an art to me. Upon initial greeting, I knew just how to continue with that particular guest(s) visit at our Store for the rest of their time there.
And, creating that Disney Magic for the Guests was my absolute FAVORITE part of the job. No doubt, it was absolutely nuts, at times, but, I left my shifts smiling many more times than otherwise, reflecting on how I had made one or more Guests visit a Magical one. :)

Yeah, I'm OK with the initial greeting and are you looking for anything, after I say I'm just looking....leave me alone. It isn't just Disney it is any store.

Gabe1

I agree with you on liking the feel of a book in your hands and also not having enough room for all of them! I had an English teacher who paid for storage for her books because they didn't fit in her house.

I use to be like that. Don't get me wrong, I have still have more books than I could possibly reread however it was kinda horder-ish. Chunks of them had to go. I sold some of my books to the 2nd hand but was annoyed with how very little was given vs what they resold for that I've found places to donate them now.

My latest place is the train station. The library puts 2nd hand books on a bookshelf to borrow without checking out. I fill in the empty spaces. It makes me happy to see most gone when I go to add some more.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Okay, Christmas Party update and food pics -Take II.

I didn't take photos of the antipasto bar, just of my plate:
image.jpg
Hubby's plate looked very similar:
image.jpg
The antipasto bar included: clams (or oysters, not sure of the difference), salami, tomatoes drizzled with balsamic, calamari, grilled veggies (other than the zucchini which I meticulously picked out, breadsticks ....
The menu:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hubby said his risotto was delicious, albeit a little salty. Mine was delicious, although it needed a little salt. Thinking the kitchen may have double salted one pan, and forgot to season another. It happens.

image.jpg
I didn't order the fish, but G. gave me half of his. Delicious!
Hubby and I both ordered the tenderloin. While mine was delicious, I'm not really a steak for lunch kind of girl. I gave 2/3 to Mike, and ate G's fish.
image.jpg

Can I tell you how much I despise roasted chestnuts? Ate one once, spit it out ... NEVER again!
image.jpg

Dessert:
image.jpg
I only ate the meringue.
Cappuccino and then a regular coffee completed this fine repast.
Sadly, no Lobster Thermidor. :(

Gabe1

You have hit upon a couple of things that really impressed me about our local libraries. They have "quiet" rooms where those that are troubled by noises and people talking can go. In there it is the old school "shush" method. Also, there are always people just sitting there reading in the regular part of the library along with tutoring, language classes, story time for kids and other activities. I don't think that they would tolerate yelling, but, normal conversation seems to not be a problem at all.

That is a much better system. Where I grew up there were different rooms. A childrens room, youth room and various sized conference rooms.

Hamlet here our library is the size of a larger ranch. There is now a loft for computers, which wound up costing more than if they bumped out a whole new wing. They put in a staircase to the loft but it wasn't ADA accessible. So many people missed that. Elevator cost a fortune. For the most part it is one big great room and one conference room the size of maybe my bedroom. Small town, small library. Guess we didn't have one at all until the middle 70's.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We both brought home one of these:
image.jpg

Inside:
image.jpg
An umbrella stand, with a golf umbrella.
No pictures of: a fleece jacket (with company logo), a black scarf and touque (also with logo), a sumptuous light grey bathrobe, and a card containing a $200 MasterCard gift card.

And for the third year in a row, I won one of the table centrepieces.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The Kris Kringle gift exchange yielded gifts that were 90% booze/wine, so we ended up bringing home 2 bottles of wine, and a Stella Artois gift set w/a $10 LCBO gift card.

While it was a lovely afternoon, two of our dearest friends were absent, due to cancer battles. :(
Hubby's partner M. just had his second chemo treatment on Tuesday, and our Sevice Manager had a cancerous lung (not just the tumours) removed earlier this month.
Best wishes to both of them for a full recovery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom