Trending blog post: "What it's really like working at Walt Disney World"

ariel90

I have had a lot of friends who have been cast members and experiences will be different depending on the place you work. I agree with the article there is a lot of truth there.Magic Kingdom is a pretty fun place to vacation but an awful place to work and pretty much goes by the nickname Tragic Kingdom among employees. Insiders tip if you ever plan on being a cast member pick the park with the earliest closing time. MK is one if not the most crowded park and experiences the phenomenon of the most awful guests. It is the park where your hours are most likely to be change on short notice. So please get off you high horse if you think you're going to be a ray of sunshine when you have managers who treat you like crap, mean people who frequent your job, and you're told that you have to stay there longer. Spare me if you live in the world of clicking you heels and having a new gig. Not to mention that from experience it is boring to say the same monologue over and over and have blank stares when you make a change. Also its no secret that the quality to money ratio is not ideal. There has been multiple threads about needed updates and unnecessary changes.

Tom Morrow

For all intents and purposes, it is unreadable. Perhaps if he were to proofread his writing ability, he would understand why the Walt Disney Company was unwilling to pay him more than nine dollars an hour.
Well that's funny because everyone else here was able to read it just fine. Pointing out typos and spelling mistakes as a way to discredit what someone posts is so incredibly archaic. You sound like old farts

Here we go again, snorting pixie dust, protecting the brand. "Oh no, he said negative things about Disney and made some errors (on a freakin' Tumblr blog, not a professional website), better discredit him and label him as an idiot and a bad worker than risk negativity about my precious corporation getting spread!"

Last edited:

BJones82

Well that's funny because everyone else here was able to read it just fine. Pointing out typos and spelling mistakes as a way to discredit what someone posts is so incredibly archaic.

Here we go again, snorting pixie dust, protecting the brand. "Oh he said negative things and made some errors (on a freakin' Tumblr blog, oh no), better discredit him and label him as an idiot and a poor worker than risk negativity about my precious corporation getting spread!"

So if you hate Disney this much... why are you even on a Disney Fan sight lol?? You may have liked it at one point but clearly you need to find a different source of joy as you are not getting any here...

And yes if someone want's me to take their points seriously on a blog they should proof read and make sure they sound intelligent otherwise it will affect my opinion on what they wrote. If it doesn't affect your opinion that is fine but don't come out with the old "snorting pixie dust" arguments they are just personal attacks which get you no where and cause me to take your opinions less seriously in the end...

A few pages ago I said that I know there are a lot of sad truths in this blog post but the way it was written effects the over all meaning... I still believe that, there are sad truths but they chose to write it the way they did so that is that... discussion ended

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

So if you hate Disney this much... why are you even on a Disney Fan sight lol?? You may have liked it at one point but clearly you need to find a different source of joy as you are not getting any here..
Because part of liking something this much means also being able to recognize it's failures and where it has room for improvement. On the Disney message boards, it's a constant battle between people who understand this and others who religiously defend the brand at all costs.

BJones82

Because part of liking something this much means also being able to recognize it's failures and where it has room for improvement. On the Disney message boards, it's a constant battle between people who understand this and others who religiously defend the brand at all costs.

But your posts throughout these forums are moving more and more to negativity towards people who like Disney more than you. Who don't agree with your opinions about the changes. I agree that part of liking something is admitting downfalls but there is a difference between admitting downfalls and letting those downfalls control your over all opinions and your experiences. I am not there with you when you presumable still go to Disney but I would bet you don't have as much fun as you used to just like your posts are increasingly negative. So part of liking something and loving something is sometimes admitting when it is time to let go and move on...

I know there is the argument that I am just fueling the firing by talking to you about this on the forum but honestly at the end of the day I am on these forums be cause I like talking about Disney and want to discuss it with everyone. Too often these discussions become attacks between people like us right now. You can take what you want from my posts on this forum but over all they are intelligent and aim to discuss different aspects not about "snorting pixie dust". My opinion was they did not do a good job writing this blog which I have stated and people saying that I am snorting pixie dust is not the same as saying you disagree with my opinion. One is very provocative and rude and one is a respectable way of discussing issues. It is up to you which you want to continue with but over all I would say we both know which you prefer.

If they want it to grow traction to enough people to instigate change then they need to be mindful of how they write their blog, if they just wanted it to be a way for them to vent and have people pat them on the shoulder then that is fine.

Todd H

And yes if someone want's me to take their points seriously on a blog they should proof read and make sure they sound intelligent otherwise it will effect my opinion on what they wrote. If it doesn't effect your opinion that is fine but don't come out with the old "snorting pixie dust" arguments they are just personal attacks which get you no where and cause me to take your opinions less seriously in the end...

That should be affect not effect. It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know the difference between the two.

BJones82

That should be affect not effect. It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know the difference between the two.
Wow mister negativity lol... I adjusted it for future readers and know how to use the edit button thank you...

Also you must agree with me about the blog post then :p

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

But your posts throughout these forums are moving more and more to negativity towards people who like Disney more than you. Who don't agree with your opinions about the changes. I agree that part of liking something is admitting downfalls but there is a difference between admitting downfalls and letting those downfalls control your over all opinions and your experiences. I am not there with you when you presumable still go to Disney but I would bet you don't have as much fun as you used to just like your posts are increasingly negative. So part of liking something and loving something is sometimes admitting when it is time to let go and move on...
Personally I think my posts are an even balance of positive and criticism toward Disney. But how much I personally like the current state of WDW is irrelevant to this argument, which is about how "readable" the blog entry was. The entry made a couple of typos, but it is not, absolutely not in any way, "unreadable." To completely discredit what the author said about Disney because of that, despite that the general consensus among current and former CM's seems to be that it's cynical but also pretty accurate, just comes across as a desperate knee-jerk reaction to defend the Mouse. And then to make assumptions on what kind of worker the author was, when we have no proof, etc.

The inherent need to defend The Mouse at all costs is what gets tiring and causes me and others to become more aggressive in our posting. If the blog author had instead been talking about some Six Flags or local amusement park, I'm willing to bet the response would be something like "well, that doesn't sound like a very pleasant place to work." But, because it's WDW, we instead get "oh well obviously this guy was a bad employee because Disney does nothing wrong and treats their cast amazing,"

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Oh definitely agree on that point. I think the standard minimum should be raised across the board.

In the moment, however, it is not that perfect world here in the US, and Disney and the other parks are paying above the required Florida minimum that you get working in fast food or other jobs.
Why? So you can complain about ticket prices increasing and more unemployment? You can't mandate minimum wage folks. Well, you can, but the consequences will be real and much more damaging.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Mandating companies to pay certain wages simply does the following:

1) Makes things more expensive
2) Creates unemployment
3) Ships more jobs overseas
4) Reduction in benefits for existing employees
5) Reduction in hours of existing hourly employees
6) Only marginally increases the standard of living for the person earning the "higher" minimum wage, and if their hours are cut or they are laid off, ends up hurting the people it was intended to help.

I invite all people struggling with this to read Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Why? So you can complain about ticket prices increasing and more unemployment? You can't mandate minimum wage folks. Well, you can, but the consequences will be real and much more damaging.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Mandating companies to pay certain wages simply does the following:

1) Makes things more expensive
2) Creates unemployment
3) Ships more jobs overseas
4) Reduction in benefits for existing employees
5) Reduction in hours of existing hourly employees
6) Only marginally increases the standard of living for the person earning the "higher" minimum wage, and if their hours are cut or they are laid off, ends up hurting the people it was intended to help.

I invite all people struggling with this to read Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman.
None of those things has to happen in a company that pays it's CEO $40Million a year. The fact that the CEO makes $40 Million a year while a full 2/3rds of his workforce qualifies for government assistance is absurd.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
None of those things has to happen in a company that pays it's CEO $40Million a year. The fact that the CEO makes $40 Million a year while a full 2/3rds of his workforce qualifies for government assistance is absurd.

Iger only makes $40M a year? That seems low for the CEO of a major entertainment/media organization that includes the cash cow EsecPN.....

ParentsOf4

Iger only makes $40M a year? That seems low for the CEO of a major entertainment/media organization that includes the cash cow EsecPN.....
Iger's compensation this year should put him on the 2014's list of Top 10 U.S. CEOs. (Last year he was 7th and, at $34M, Iger had a 'bad' year.)

There are many words to describe Iger's compensation package but "low" is not one of them. :D

LAKid53

Premium Member
Iger's compensation this year should put him on the 2014's list of Top 10 U.S. CEOs. (Last year he was 7th and, at $34M, Iger had a 'bad' year.)

There are many words to describe Iger's compensation package but "low" is not one of them. :D

Igor didn't make the top 10 in 2013, according to Time. Larry Ellison was No. 2 at $77M (Musk with Tesla was ranked No. 1), and Ellison took a pay cut from $96M in 2012. Igor didn't rank in Forbes' top ten in either 2012 or 2013 - he was 17th in 2012. Still, I wouldn't mind being ranked in the top 100 in CEO pay....

draybook

grammar_zps950a6183.jpg

Seriously. I see a lot of people attacking the guy's spelling and grammar but nothing that can refute a lot of what he's posted. If duzn't tayk a geenyus to cee that a lot uv what he'z sayeeng is true.

Chef Mickey

This is going to sound harsh, so don't take it the wrong way. I'm just going to give you a sense of what I feel is reality. You may disagree, but I think I'm right.

People might like your post and it sure sounds good, but this is America, not a communist country. Pay scale is generally commensurate with job responsibility. This applies to CEO of a top 50 company.You don't like Iger? I don't either, but he's helped lead the way in making shareholders billions and billions of dollars. He's the big dog, so gets most of the credit and yes, the money.

With tens of thousands of hourly employees, an extra couple bucks an hour just for charity is real to the bottom line. Companies still exist primarily to make money. Don't like it? Find another job. Sorry, but that's life and it's not Disney or any other company's responsibility to pay you a wage that you feel is right. You have freedom and other options. Again, this is absolutely not just Disney.

Don't like evil corporations, their hiring practices, and rich management? Boycott their products and start with A for Apple.

lazyboy97o

this is going to sound harsh, so don't take it the wrong way. I'm just going to give you a sense of what I feel is reality. You may disagree, but I think I'm right.

People might like your post and it sure sounds good, but this is America, not a communist country. Pay scale is generally commensurate with job responsibility. This applies to CEO of a top 50 company.You don't like Iger? I don't either, but he's helped lead the way in making shareholders billions and billions of dollars. He's the big dog, so gets most of the credit and yes, the money. With tens of thousands of hourly e,players, an extra couple bucks an hour just for charity is real to the bottom line. Companies still exist primarily to make money. Don't like it? Find another job. Sorry, but that's life and it's not Disney or any other company's responsibility to pay you a wage that you feel is right. You have freedom and other options. Again, this is absolutely not just Disney.

Don't like evil corporations, their hiring practices, and rich management? Boycott their products and start with A for Apple.
There is no thing contradictory about greater investment in employees, especially when you are selling customer service, and big profits.

LAKid53

Premium Member
this is going to sound harsh, so don't take it the wrong way. I'm just going to give you a sense of what I feel is reality. You may disagree, but I think I'm right.

People might like your post and it sure sounds good, but this is America, not a communist country. Pay scale is generally commensurate with job responsibility. This applies to CEO of a top 50 company.You don't like Iger? I don't either, but he's helped lead the way in making shareholders billions and billions of dollars. He's the big dog, so gets most of the credit and yes, the money. With tens of thousands of hourly e,players, an extra couple bucks an hour just for charity is real to the bottom line. Companies still exist primarily to make money. Don't like it? Find another job. Sorry, but that's life and it's not Disney or any other company's responsibility to pay you a wage that you feel is right. You have freedom and other options. Again, this is absolutely not just Disney.

Agree with you in some respects, but there is concern about CEO compensation disparity relative to the front line workers. I'd start with someone other than Tim Cook. Like Koch brothers , Aldeson, Waltons. But then Koch Industries is not a publicly traded company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom