The Spirited Back Nine ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
You talked about more "entertainment" during construction. Any discussion of closing the doors to speed up the transition? I'm guessing not, but I'm continually shocked by TDO decisions.

No, but what can you expect. This is Disney. Most malls would have sales and special offers when undergoing the type of massive construction that DD is. I had a family member with me who hadn't been there in about 18 months and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. He couldn't believe that they would actually keep the entire place open during such a mess.

Any talk of more restrictions for future F&Ws? or canceling it all together? - the corp lawyers must be losing sleep over all the liabilities. Well, maybe not, since they're corp lawyers.

Funny thing, the lawyers cause them to add gates to attractions that were just fine for 30 years without them. They cause railings to be added to railings and walls in case someone does something patently stupid and unsafe. They added those straps they demand you pull on before your ride starts because they want YOU to have been the last person to check and make sure you are secured so the liability falls more to you if you wind up dead or injured. ... But when it comes to making truckloads of money by allowing people to get drunk out of their minds, well ... the lawyers lose out to the leaders of the parks and resorts.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And Storm Force, a ride completely unworthy of being in such a great park.

As for Gringotts being mediocre....not for me. It's firmly my second favorite ride at that resort, behind Forbidden Journey.
Yes, I like it better than Spiderman.

Not me. But you know that. But I do want to go on it another 3-4 times before definitively saying that.

I also still love UNI classics like ET (best dark ride in O-Town) and MiB and the Mummy as well as Spidey ... I really do have a problem with having to wear 3D glasses on every damn new attraction they build.

BrerJon

Two places, I'd send people to at WDW: Columbia Harbor House (a Spirited Family Tradition since 1976!) and the Contemo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort.

I've always liked Columbia Harbor House but often tended to hit Cosmic or Pecos instead, but I was really impressed by the new menu on my last visit so think that will be my go-to MK quick service from now on - especially as it's the only one you can always find a seat in now that everyone's been tipped out into the park to wait for their Fastpass times.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 If the GMR stays, and obviously gets the much needed revamp or update..something, what are the chances they'll go with the Muppet version? I know pretty slim but it would at least save 2 existing 'legacy' attractions at one shot. Have the ride and then play the 4-D movie at the end.

I'd just hate to see these two be demolished. GMR, for one, is such a beautiful building and really goes back to the way things should be done at WDW as far as theme and immersion. The ride needs a new upddate and spruce but taking that out just seems like such a waste. And Muppets, well, this was always a must see because well its the Muppets. No other explaination necessary. :) I have the feeling if they're removed from the park, they're not going to placed into another. They'll just be gone.

Pigs in Space crossover with Guardians? Given the years, Peter Quill would know who they were :)

None.

wdwfan4ver

Two places, I'd send people to at WDW: Columbia Harbor House (a Spirited Family Tradition since 1976!) and the Contemo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort. The former has a great new chicken and broccoli salad in a creamy peppercorn dressing, the latter a great steak salad with pita bread. Both are (they won't be after I post this, though) under $9.
I agree on Columbia Harbor House. It was one of the first counter service places I ever ate at and is one of my favorite counter service places at WDW of all time.

I first went there on my 2nd trip to WDW ever back in the early 1990's. I didn't go to Columbia Harbor House on the first trip since my mom won a drawing for a free trip to WDW that included a lot of free stuff including 3 free table services a day on WDW property.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I forget its exact nature, but there was an incident a few years ago, big frat boy fight IIRC, caused them to announce they were suspending alcohol sales for the rest of the event. That ban lasted one night after the revenue reports came in the next morning.

Do you know for a fact they sell booze now out there? I have been told by multiple O-Town fanbois who visit USH for the event that they no longer sell alcohol.

FWIW, they stopped having the event for 4-5=6 years a while back ... violence was part of the problem as was the fact that Knott's owns Halloween in SoCal. Or did for many years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just booked my vacation for next year. Nov 13-16 at the Hard Rock at UNI and Nov 16-22 at the Polynesian. Never stayed there before so hopefully its a good resort. Here's to praying that the parks are not a huge mess, or at least that the Christmas decor will be up to cover any issues. We as a family have never been to Disney when the Christmas stuff is out, is it just as beautiful as you would think it to be? Any insight?

I wouldn't have booked the Poly because I think those prices are absurd. Hell, I think those prices at 40-50% off are absurd.

The Christmas decor is nice, but old largely. Much has been taken away from EPCOT. ... MK thinks Christmas is only celebrated on MSUSA.

But it is generally a very nice time to visit and for a first holiday visit, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

Animaniac93-98

Well, whether you plan on getting drunk, eating your kid's candy, going out in Elsa drag or spending the night at a theme park, I'd like to wish everyone a

Happy Halloween! :D

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, I think Mystic Manor is (at minimum) the best attraction since Tower of Terror at TDS. It's one of my top 10 anywhere, all-time.

In fairness, I probably think a lot more highly of EFG than you do. I was really impressed, and I think you have to include the pre-show and build up as part of the attraction (sort of like I would with DHS's Tower of Terror). With that said, EFG was literally the first Uni attraction that I experienced since 2001, so a big part of my opinion was formed before I had a chance to experience 'screen fatigue.' Maybe if I rode it again today, I wouldn't think quite so highly of it? Even then, I doubt my opinion would drop all that much.

BTW - I posted it the same night you started this, but I responded to most of the questions you asked about Halloween in Asia.

As for your game, my guess is Indianapolis. What do I get if I win?!?! ;)

Where did you post that Halloween stuff?

I do think that it being your first UNI attraction factored into your opinion.

No way do I place it in my Top 20 worldwide. Just no way at all. ... Spidey is in that. FJ absolutely is in it. EFG isn't.

You win a free drink or dessert on me if you ever stop ducking me and and happen to be in the same place at the same time (don't listen to the Twits on the Twitter as most of them are ... slightly to majorly out of their minds) ... so where you headed next? You must have a Disney trip scheduled before 2015? Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to publicize future travels. I don't put mine out (well, beyond heading to SDL's opening whenever that may be!)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not theme parks exactly, but I-Drive is getting Mangos, Blue Martini, a new Ferris Wheel with a host of bars around it, probably the Poler Coaster ...

Meanwhile TDO has quietly done a 180 on PI 3.0 (3.5? 4.0?) with The Hanger and The Edison pretty much explicitly bars, and the Boathouse looking more and more like a restaurant/bar hybrid.

Things are definitely looking up for the area.

That stuff is all ancillary. I have plenty a few hundred miles to the South ... and then some with SoBe's unique charms and Coconut Grove. That's stuff you do when the parks are closed or you are parked out (if you aren't a local). ... I don't go to O-Town for Lifestyle Center stuff, no matter how well done ... that includes DD and CW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom