DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Kman101

So if the rumored budget is MORE than DCA, why do I feel like the insiders are already lamenting the makeover and aren't thrilled over it. May I ask why? If an announcement is pending in a few months (as others have stated), why can't we at least get SOME details? I understand not wanting to tick off a source, or get in trouble for revealing too much, but let's have some substance to discuss. Only TDO could get more money than DCA and blow it. But I'm not ready to say that just yet. I'm happy if we get a Pixar expansion (Monsters or Incredibles are fine by me), a mini-Cars Land (I agree it should be exclusive to DCA, imo, but I won't object if we get a version of it), Star Wars, and the Hat removed along with some general plussing.

RSoxNo1

Well it is nice to dropped the faux insider talk ... but c'mon dude wasn't that Kevin Rafferty.
I don't remember which one should take the credit, but my understanding was that one of them started the project and the other finished it / fixed it. Apologies if this is backwards, but I think Kevin started the project and Kathy came in and fixed it up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if the rumored budget is MORE than DCA, why do I feel like the insiders are already lamenting the makeover and aren't thrilled over it. May I ask why? If an announcement is pending in a few months (as others have stated), why can't we at least get SOME details? I understand not wanting to tick off a source, or get in trouble for revealing too much, but let's have some substance to discuss. Only TDO could get more money than DCA and blow it. But I'm not ready to say that just yet. I'm happy if we get a Pixar expansion (Monsters or Incredibles are fine by me), a mini-Cars Land (I agree it should be exclusive to DCA, imo, but I won't object if we get a version of it), Star Wars, and the Hat removed along with some general plussing.
I don't know. I kinda feel like there have been some actual positive vibes around this project. Both Lee and Martin seem optimistic that this project could be significant. I think a lot of the skepticism and doubt is coming from others who may not be insiders but are just basing conclusions on past projects at WDW. Assuming it will be more of the same. I think it's been pretty well established that TDO has no say in the project. It's all coming from Staggs and Iger. I'm not saying budgets won't be cut or plans won't change, but so far I'm pretty optimistic.

The third track for TSMM is confirmed. It's only a matter of time before someone leaks the rest of the plans.

Big Bad Wolf

Nope. I ain't an insider in the realm of parks. Interactive mediums yes. But Kathy had problems and Kevin fixed it.

Disney sends Cars Land's lead designer to Florida
Published: August 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Hey, Kathy Mangum, you just led the design team for Cars Land, which helped turn California Adventure - a one-time embarrassment for Disney - into America's hottest theme park. What are you going to do now?

lasseter-mangum-girolami.jpg

Kathy Mangum, left, with John Lasseter and Buena Vista Street lead Imagineer Lisa Girolami, before the rededication of Disney California Adventure in June.
You're going to Disney World!

(Sorry, that lead was so easy, I simply couldn't resist.)

Yep, Disney announced today that it is shipping Walt Disney Imagineering's Kathy Mangum off to Florida, where she will assume the newly-created position of "Executive Producer" for the Walt Disney World Resort, overseeing attraction and resort design at WDW.

You could go nuts trying to draft a linear organizational chart for Walt Disney Imagineering, which is co-lead by Craig Russell and Bruce Vaughn, with four senior vice presidents and six executive vice presidents (plus an additional VP for Tokyo Disney) on the management roster, too. Mangum's one of those executive VPs, and Avatar lead designer Joe Rohde is one of the senior VPs (along with Tony Baxter, to drop another name). It's a huge team, with heaven only knows how many projects going at once. So at this point, all I'll read into the announcement is that Disney is very, very happy with the money that Mangum's latest project is making for the company and would very much like new projects at Walt Disney World to make gobs of money for Disney just like Cars Land is doing, thank you.

The easiest way to make that happen might seem to bring in Mangum to build a Cars Land at Walt Disney World, perhaps at the Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park - the proto-California Adventure. But let's not forget that the two coasts don't always embrace identical new attractions with the same fervor. Toy Story Midway Mania draws better in Florida than it does in Anaheim, while Star Tours 2 hit bigger in Disneyland than at WDW. There's no guarantee that Cars Land would be as big a hit in Florida as it has been at the Disneyland Resort.

Still, it's generally good news for theme park fans when Imagineers get promotions within the Walt Disney Company, instead of accountants. Let's hope some fat design and construction budgets, bathed in green lights, are following Mangum to Central Florida, too.

MerlinTheGoat

Leave it to the real insiders. The only new "insider" information you've provided was dead wrong, quite recently you posted that Maelstrom wasn't getting replaced by Frozen and would remain unchanged (after the news about Frozen replacing Maelstrom was already confirmed by numerous other sources).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Hey, Kathy Mangum, you just led the design team for Cars Land, which helped turn California Adventure - a one-time embarrassment for Disney - into America's hottest theme park. What are you going to do now?

Kathy Mangum, left, with John Lasseter and Buena Vista Street lead Imagineer Lisa Girolami, before the rededication of Disney California Adventure in June.

Yep, Disney announced today that it is shipping Walt Disney Imagineering's Kathy Mangum off to Florida, where she will assume the newly-created position of "Executive Producer" for the Walt Disney World Resort, overseeing attraction and resort design at WDW.

You could go nuts trying to draft a linear organizational chart for Walt Disney Imagineering, which is co-lead by Craig Russell and Bruce Vaughn, with four senior vice presidents and six executive vice presidents (plus an additional VP for Tokyo Disney) on the management roster, too. Mangum's one of those executive VPs, and Avatar lead designer Joe Rohde is one of the senior VPs (along with Tony Baxter, to drop another name). It's a huge team, with heaven only knows how many projects going at once. So at this point, all I'll read into the announcement is that Disney is very, very happy with the money that Mangum's latest project is making for the company and would very much like new projects at Walt Disney World to make gobs of money for Disney just like Cars Land is doing, thank you.

The easiest way to make that happen might seem to bring in Mangum to build a Cars Land at Walt Disney World, perhaps at the Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park - the proto-California Adventure. But let's not forget that the two coasts don't always embrace identical new attractions with the same fervor. Toy Story Midway Mania draws better in Florida than it does in Anaheim, while Star Tours 2 hit bigger in Disneyland than at WDW. There's no guarantee that Cars Land would be as big a hit in Florida as it has been at the Disneyland Resort.

Still, it's generally good news for theme park fans when Imagineers get promotions within the Walt Disney Company, instead of accountants. Let's hope some fat design and construction budgets, bathed in green lights, are following Mangum to Central Florida, too.
So, again just regurgitating stuff that's already been mentioned before?

PhotoDave219

Just curious.... Do you own a Time machine or did you just come out of a coma?

Goofyernmost

Speaking of which... I don't know if it feels good to come out of a coma, but, I once came out of unconsiousness after falling off my bike. The world was wonderful. I was totally relaxed and really didn't want to move. It was the best I felt in my 12 short years. Then I moved my hand and it was gone.:jawdrop: It was exactly at that point that I started feeling pain and burning from my other minor injures.:arghh:

Maybe it's not so bad to be in a coma and then come out of it. ;) Back to our regularly scheduled topic, whatever that was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom