hurricane issues this/next week?

PlutoHasFleas

I am also a Tampa Bay resident and have "lived" through hurricanes my entire life. But we have never had a direct hit here. They are not something to mess with and are definitely not fun.
I'm not sure how one would "mess with" a hurricane, and I would agree there is nothing generally fun about high winds, not being able to go outside or drive anywhere, or losing power. However, the times I have been trapped indoors because of the storm outside have always been good times. No work, no school, living off supplies and booze with a bunch of friends for a few days. I doubt my experiences were the typical ones, but it's honestly what you make of it.

kelknight84

I'm not sure how one would "mess with" a hurricane, and I would agree there is nothing generally fun about high winds, not being able to go outside or drive anywhere, or losing power. However, the times I have been trapped indoors because of the storm outside have always been good times. No work, no school, living off supplies and booze with a bunch of friends for a few days. I doubt my experiences were the typical ones, but it's honestly what you make of it.
Yes we were lucky and that is all that happened those times. But just south of us, less than an hour away was destroyed by Charley. Houses blown away like toys and people lost everything. I actually was in college in Orlando at this time and my apartment complex was badly damaged. Even that far inland.

The Mom

Premium Member
Forgive me, I will hesitate to provide my opinions on something I am as experienced in as hurricanes from now on. I've only lived through hurricannes for 28 years.

I've "lived" through hurricanes for 60+ years (as has Nemo14) The experience as a mother with children and a household to run was very different than when I was young with little or no responsibilities. It was not fun and games anymore. And that was without injury or property damage.

jakeman

I've "lived" through hurricanes for 60+ years (as has Nemo14) The experience as a mother with children and a household to run was very different than when I was young with little or no responsibilities. It was not fun and games anymore. And that was without injury or property damage.
I slept quite soundly through Fran in 1996 when I was in high school in NC.

I was awake all night during Charley in 2004 when I had a wife and home to think of.

Hurricanes are quite a different beast when:
  1. They actually pass over you
  2. You have responsibilities outside of yourself and your property

PhotoDave219

We're there this Friday to Wednesday and my wife just texted me about about a couple hurricanes on the news near Orlando. I checked the weather but it looks like it's fading.

What's the local vibe there? Anything to be concerned about? Or just the usual September thing of something always having the possibility of forming?

There's a tropical depression in the Atlantic, its forecast to go north into the middle of the Atlantic and maybe towards Bermuda. Not coming anywhere near land.

We have a small disturbance off the coast right now that does not show any signs of organization and thats coming across the Peninsula down by Fort Lauderdale/Stuart.

Nothing the worry about, no hurricanes forming anytime soon.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/?index_region=at

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Most of my long time friends here know how I feel about hurricanes.

P1210856.JPG

PhotoDave219

We were battered with hurricanes here in 2004. Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne came through one after another and shredded the state. I didn't say "fun" but I would say I was a long way from miserable, even without power for a few days.

You were fortunate then, because a lot of people and businesses suffered severely through that. Your making light of hurricanes in your previous post I find to be extremely offensive.

That was a rough 7-8 weeks. The people on the interior of the state? They did OK-ish, except for everyone who lost their roof, changing Orlando into the blue tarp capital of the world.

People on the coasts? Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte were destroyed. Frances and Jeanne made landfall within 10 miles apart from each other. Really battered that part of the state.

Best thing is, Hurricanes give you plenty of warning. You have a good 24 hours to get out of town. (not that you could easily do that given the crappy roads in this state.)

PhotoDave219

PS. I have heard since I was a little kid that the giant swans and and dolphins on top of the Swan & Dolphin Hotels can be removed by crane to keep them from blowing down in a hurricane.

Urban Legend. That did not happen in 2004.

I just regret not getting a photo of four monorails parked inside the Contemporary during Frances.

Nemo14

That was a rough 7-8 weeks. The people on the interior of the state? They did OK-ish, except for everyone who lost their roof, changing Orlando into the blue tarp capital of the world.

People on the coasts? Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte were destroyed. Frances and Jeanne made landfall within 10 miles apart from each other. Really battered that part of the state.

Best thing is, Hurricanes give you plenty of warning. You have a good 24 hours to get out of town. (not that you could easily do that given the crappy roads in this state.)
We drove down to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda in December that year to do some volunteer work and were just stunned at the devastation there, 4 months after Charley's visit. I'll never forget it. We had seen lots of pictures here (in fact that was what moved us to do something about it), but nothing can prepare you for seeing that in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom