hurricane issues this/next week?

PlutoHasFleas

Have you lived in Tampa that entire time?
Yes.

I've "lived" through hurricanes for 60+ years (as has Nemo14) The experience as a mother with children and a household to run was very different than when I was young with little or no responsibilities. It was not fun and games anymore. And that was without injury or property damage.

Hurricanes are quite a different beast when:
  1. They actually pass over you
  2. You have responsibilities outside of yourself and your property
Agreed. However, if you are visiting WDW from out of state as the OP stated, I don't think you have to worry about injury to you and your family or property damage. WDW works very hard to keep their guests safe, and well if they are in from out of town, no worry of property damage.

So there.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes.

Agreed. However, if you are visiting WDW from out of state as the OP stated, I don't think you have to worry about injury to you and your family or property damage. WDW works very hard to keep their guests safe, and well if they are in from out of town, no worry of property damage.
Sorry, but the feeling that you are responsible for your family's safety does not go away just because someone else "should" be responsible for their safety.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Sorry, but the feeling that you are responsible for your family's safety does not go away just because someone else "should" be responsible for their safety.

I am going with this. Personal responsibility to one's self and family does not go away just like that because of where you are. Anyone who even thinks that is the case in a small fashion at the least is rather irresponsible.

PlutoHasFleas

I didn't say anything like that, so I'm not sure why you misquoted me. You are safer at WDW than in a house you own in Florida, and you won't even have property to worry about being damaged if you don't live in Florida. I guess you could worry if your house was in South Carolina and the storm moved that way while your down here, but now we are just worrying about how dangerous hurricanes are in general.

Don't let the thought of possible hurricanes keep you from visiting WDW. Even if one pops up while you're down here, WDW will do their best to make sure your trip is not ruined.

DABIGCHEEZ

Lived through the 2004 hurricane season when I was a CM - Charley, Francis & Ivan. Charley was the worst of the 3

I am pretty sure it was Charley, where we were room bound pretty much at Old Key West in a Studio(no less) with a 4 & 5 year old for quite a long time. It was all so MAGICAL!

And even though we had a small generator for 10 of the 18 days without power after Sandy ... that was not so magical!

Last edited:

DABIGCHEEZ

Oh no! That sounds terrible! Were you stuck in your room for the entire trip?
No, if memory serves a good 30 or so hours stuck in room. I think we got in one night and then stayed in the whole next day and I think we went swimming the following day. I remember it raining(no lightning/thunder) and being in the pool.

PlutoHasFleas

And even though we had a small generator for 10 of the 18 days without power after Sandy ... that was not so magical!
Wasn't Sandy the one that hit the NYC area and left people in the cold without power for weeks because the local government wasn't prepared? That is some terrible hurricane luck on both accounts :confused:

DABIGCHEEZ

Parts of NYC yes... But I am at the NJ shore area(not far from the Rollercoaster in the Ocean) that took a direct hit. Place won't be the same for years to come. FEMA still not paid a lot of folks... people had to just up and leave. We never experienced anything like that... so how does anyone or the government prepare? Superstorm Sandy was a freak storm!

This all being said, I still would go to WDW if I had it planned. Like others have said it if inland so rain and strong winds thats all.

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes.

I don't think I misquoted you. WDW may do everything humanly possible, but Mother Nature doesn't always pay attention to what humans do to try and thwart her.

I didn't say anything like that, so I'm not sure why you misquoted me. You are safer at WDW than in a house you own in Florida, and you won't even have property to worry about being damaged if you don't live in Florida. I guess you could worry if your house was in South Carolina and the storm moved that way while your down here, but now we are just worrying about how dangerous hurricanes are in general.

Don't let the thought of possible hurricanes keep you from visiting WDW. Even if one pops up while you're down here, WDW will do their best to make sure your trip is not ruined.

I agree with this.

PlutoHasFleas

I don't think I misquoted you.

I guess you were using quotation marks to symbolize the action of air quotes? Maybe italics would have been a more effective way of conveying emphasize on a word? I was confused.

WDW may do everything humanly possible, but Mother Nature doesn't always pay attention to what humans do to try and thwart her.
I agree with this.

Last edited:

wdwstateofmind

Not true. I lived through Hurricane Sandy and three weeks without electricity. I'll take your 2-3 day blizzard over that nightmare any day.
I lived through Sandy; I'm from New Jersey...I went 2 weeks without power and had to wait 3 hours just to fill my gas tank amoung many other hardships including swimming in my house...that doesn't exactly happen every year ya know?

If you even saw a hurricane making landfall down here and the destruction it does compared to the tropical storm we got hit by you wouldn't even mention Sandy....

smw

Original Poster
Well this got a little silly.

Back in Charlotte now and of course all was great. Wasn't really worried much, just curious about local news versus us catching glimpses on national news which can be a bit alarmist.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Nick Wilde

Well this got a little silly.

Back in Charlotte now and of course all was great. Wasn't really worried much, just curious about local news versus us catching glimpses on national news which can be a bit alarmist.

Thanks for the entertainment.
Just another drama-filled episode on WDWMagic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom