hurricane issues this/next week?

smw

Original Poster
We're there this Friday to Wednesday and my wife just texted me about about a couple hurricanes on the news near Orlando. I checked the weather but it looks like it's fading.

What's the local vibe there? Anything to be concerned about? Or just the usual September thing of something always having the possibility of forming?

Nick Wilde

We're there this Friday to Wednesday and my wife just texted me about about a couple hurricanes on the news near Orlando. I checked the weather but it looks like it's fading.

What's the local vibe there? Anything to be concerned about? Or just the usual September thing of something always having the possibility of forming?
No hurricanes anywhere near here that I know of. Just your everyday summer afternoon thunderstorm.

wdwstateofmind

There hasn't been one named storm in the central Florida, or any of Florida, all season. The forecast is calling for a quiet end to the season as well. Very boring if you're smart enough not to live in a flood zone. THen again, anything beats a 2-3 day blizzard...

FettFan

Is it raining?

Is it snowing?

Is a hurricane a-blowing?

giphy.gif

BuddyThomas

There hasn't been one named storm in the central Florida, or any of Florida, all season. The forecast is calling for a quiet end to the season as well. Very boring if you're smart enough not to live in a flood zone. THen again, anything beats a 2-3 day blizzard...
Not true. I lived through Hurricane Sandy and three weeks without electricity. I'll take your 2-3 day blizzard over that nightmare any day.

bethymouse

Lots of wind and rain, if a hurricane actually directly hits central Florida, but it is unlikely at this point. You'll be fine.
Have a great time, and just expect daily thunderstorms, sometimes downpours, but they're usually quick and fast moving!:D

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Lived through the 2004 hurricane season when I was a CM - Charley, Francis & Ivan. Charley was the worst of the 3

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
No hurricanes anywhere near here that I know of. Just your everyday summer afternoon thunderstorm.

This was the most recent update below. There actually is 2 systems they are watching including one below that would go right through central Florida/Orlando. The one that is closest to Florida in the pic. These are invests 91 and 92 right now but not yet a tropical depression, etc. It of course most likely will not be a hurricane but could form a tropical depression or storm before it hits land if it stays together in the next so many days.
The other one that is far away will probably just turn into open waters and not go anywhere. I keep up with this daily because I live in south Louisiana so I like to know what's going on if anything is at all. :)
image.jpg

Susan Savia

I am concerned about this too. We leave on the 19th. What happens in the parks (are they open etc.) should there be heavy winds, rain etc? How soon do they clear out?

plutofan15

Go anyway. We were there for Hurricane Floyd in '99 (1st time the parks had ever closed by the way). The storm was supposed to come ashore around Daytona and head across central FL. We were staying at Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings then) and a day or so before the storm everyone had letters waiting for them in the room asking that the curtains be closed and to stay away from windows in case the high winds might break the windows. They also aske that we fill the tub with water. The day the storm was supposed to hit, the parks were open in the morning but closed in the early afternoon along with Downtown Disney. Basically the only places operating were the resorts. They moved everyone out of Ft. Wilderness campground into the moderate resorts. We were there with another couple with adjoining rooms so we filled one tub with water and the other ice. We stocked up on "supplies" (soda, beer, snacks) from the store at the resort - h-u-g-e lines but the cast members were great and it was actually fun. That night we ventured out to the lounge, snagged a table, ordered a pizza and had a hurricane party with everyone else. The cast members (waiters, bartenders) were again great. After a bit of wait we got our pizza and a couple of drinks, ate and watched the weather coverage. We headed back to the room in some rain and a bit of wind to continue our party. The storm turned north at the last minute and so we only got rain and wind. The next morning was cloudy and a breezy with occaisional rain. Since mosy of the cast members were sent home to take care of themselves & family, there wasn't enough cast members to open the parks. With the exception of Animal Kingdom since employees had to come in to look after the animals. They opened Animal Kingdom to resort guests only and then opened the park in stages. Very low crowds. By that evening Downtown Disney was back open and the next morning all parks were back to normal - we spent a gorgeous day at Blizzard Beach. It was actually a lot of fun.

PlutoHasFleas

Hmm.. what exactly are you worried about?

I have lived in Tampa my entire life, and the most destructive force of a hurricane is storm surge aka flooding. WDW is in the middle of the state so, no worries of floods. Worst thing you will have to deal with in a hurricane is strong winds, and FL takes a ton of precautions to keep buildings safe from hurricanes when they build them. You might get lucky and get a broken window, and that's exciting.

Think about it. When we get a hurricane here in Tampa, and they tell people to evacuate to shelters, everyone just meets up at the shelters and it's like a big party or like being at a school assembly where you can do whatever you want. Sometimes, we even brave out the power outages in our homes with gas grills, coolers, and flashlights. But since you're at Disney, it's gotta be hands down the best place to have a hurricane party. Mickey will be there! lol

Yea Katrina and Sandy were bad, but that's because NYC & NOLA were not built to survive hurricannes. Here in FL, hurricannes came through and ripped up everything A LONG time ago, so we kinda learned our lesson.

I love hurricanes lol, they are our version of a snow days.

PS. I have heard since I was a little kid that the giant swans and and dolphins on top of the Swan & Dolphin Hotels can be removed by crane to keep them from blowing down in a hurricane.

Nemo14

Hmm.. what exactly are you worried about?

I have lived in Tampa my entire life, and the most destructive force of a hurricane is storm surge aka flooding. WDW is in the middle of the state so, no worries of floods. Worst thing you will have to deal with in a hurricane is strong winds, and FL takes a ton of precautions to keep buildings safe from hurricanes when they build them. You might get lucky and get a broken window, and that's exciting.

Think about it. When we get a hurricane here in Tampa, and they tell people to evacuate to shelters, everyone just meets up at the shelters and it's like a big party or like being at a school assembly where you can do whatever you want. Sometimes, we even brave out the power outages in our homes with gas grills, coolers, and flashlights. But since you're at Disney, it's gotta be hands down the best place to have a hurricane party. Mickey will be there! lol

Yea Katrina and Sandy were bad, but that's because NYC & NOLA were not built to survive hurricannes. Here in FL, hurricannes came through and ripped up everything A LONG time ago, so we kinda learned our lesson.

I love hurricanes lol, they are our version of a snow days.

PS. I have heard since I was a little kid that the giant swans and and dolphins on top of the Swan & Dolphin Hotels can be removed by crane to keep them from blowing down in a hurricane.

We worked on rebuilding a home in Port Charlotte after Hurricane Charley in 2004, and saw first-hand the total devastation that the storm did in that area. There is no way that that was any "fun" experience for anyone.

PlutoHasFleas

We worked on rebuilding a home in Port Charlotte after Hurricane Charley in 2004, and saw first-hand the total devastation that the storm did in that area. There is no way that that was any "fun" experience for anyone.
We were battered with hurricanes here in 2004. Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne came through one after another and shredded the state. I didn't say "fun" but I would say I was a long way from miserable, even without power for a few days.

Nemo14

We were battered with hurricanes here in 2004. Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne came through one after another and shredded the state. I didn't say "fun" but I would say I was a long way from miserable, even without power for a few days.
You were fortunate then, because a lot of people and businesses suffered severely through that. Your making light of hurricanes in your previous post I find to be extremely offensive.

PlutoHasFleas

You were fortunate then, because a lot of people and businesses suffered severely through that. Your making light of hurricanes in your previous post I find to be extremely offensive.
Forgive me, I will hesitate to provide my opinions on something I am as experienced in as hurricanes from now on. I've only lived through hurricannes for 28 years.

Nemo14

Forgive me, I will hesitate to provide my opinions on something I am as experienced in as hurricanes from now on. I've only lived through hurricannes for 28 years.
I sincerely hope you never do have to experience what some have had to, but it may be the only way you'll learn to respect the power of nature.

PlutoHasFleas

I sincerely hope you never do have to experience what some have had to, but it may be the only way you'll learn to respect the power of nature.
I can understand if you were offended by someone making light of the damage caused by a hurricanne or someone losing their livelihood. But that is not what was said. The OP asked what the local vibe was like regarding hurricannes and I offered my opinions on the weather systems.

I find it extremely offensive that you assume I have no respect for nature based soley of my opinions on my experiences in hurricanes. How dare you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom