EPCOT Entertainment cuts

s8film40

The chair acrobats in France, the Voices of Liberty, and the Taiko Drummers (which, I love). Now if you're talking about in general and not just performers, I'd list about a dozen or so things.

This is opinion, not right or wrong, and maybe for YOU Off-Kilter is this huge iconic thing, but I don't think you can make that assumption for the general Disney park attendee.
I would actually prefer to lose Voices of Liberty over the Fife and Drum. Voices of Liberty is a nice show while you wait for American Adventure but Fife and Drum adds to the feel and theming of the area.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but I don't think that I am. Disney is NOT just cutting, they are replacing. Some of what they are cutting is beloved and will be miss, some is not as good (all of this being opinion of course). Some of what they are bringing in sounds exciting, some sounds lame (again, opinion). But, in the end, they aren't actually cutting what is offered to the public, just changing what it is. Now, I understand all of the arguments about changing things that aren't broken when they should be changing things that are, and the posts about how this is just a callous cash cutting coup by Disney execs greedy to pinch pennies where-ere they can, but honestly, it sounds to me like it's just time to change out the acts and freshen up that aspect of the park. Woven in as part of a much large narrative, yes, I can see why folks are reacting negatively, but that narrative involves a bit of storytelling and guess-work that folks here are providing in order to tell the story they want to tell. Taken on it's own, it's a interesting story that might be a good thing for the parks, and is sad for fans of specific performers who are cut.
You could very well be correct and this all an honest attempt to bring in new entertainment. Or it could be that they are indeed pinching pennies. I really want to believe that decisions like this are made for enertainments sake but I cant remember the last thing Disney cut and replaced with something better, let alone something amazing. Im not talking about upgrading/refurbing attractions, but shows or acts that are now gone and there is something in its place that is better. Principle of parsimony, Disney is just being ran by cheap skates.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
In the spirit of Disney's current business model, you could probably find someone to do a similar job as Iger at a much cheaper price.
Unlikely. While we may not like how the decisions of current management affect the parks, the owners of the company are pretty darned happy. The stock price has essentially tripled the last three years, as we've all lamented the treatment of WDW. From when Iger took over in 2005 until late 2011, the stock price stagnated. If you wanted to get rid of Iger, that was the time.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You could very well be correct and this all an honest attempt to bring in new entertainment. Or it could be that they are indeed pinching pennies. I really want to believe that decisions like this are made for enertainments sake but I cant remember the last thing Disney cut and replaced with something better, let alone something amazing. Im not talking about upgrading/refurbing attractions, but shows or acts that are now gone and there is something in its place that is better. Principle of parsimony, Disney is just being ran by cheap skates.

Ice or roller?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Name three things in World Showcase as iconic as Off-Kilter or the World Showcase Players.

They may not be the HM of EPCOT, but there damn sure equivalent to the PeopleMover.
The Eiffel Tower. The American Adventure building. The pyramid in Mexico. I could go on.

As for entertainment, though, nothing as iconic other than Voices of Liberty, the Taiko drummers, Illuminations, the Chinese acrobats, the train garden, Mariachi Cobre, Musikanten...

Lots of Epcot icons, really. Off-Kilter is one of my favorites, but there are plenty.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Ice or roller?
This is what comes to mind for Disney. Cheap, bare minimum, most cost effective cheap skates
skates.jpg

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The Eiffel Tower. The American Adventure building. The pyramid in Mexico. I could go on.

As for entertainment, though, nothing as iconic other than Voices of Liberty, the Taiko drummers, Illuminations, the Chinese acrobats, the train garden, Mariachi Cobre, Musikanten...

Lots of Epcot icons, really. Off-Kilter is one of my favorites, but there are plenty.
^^^
You clearly misread his challenge. He said 3 things. Not more than 3. Never give more than you have to. It's just extra effort :p

I'm being 100% honest here, and this coming from someone who obsesses over Epcot (though truthfully, original Future World), I didn't know anything about Off-Kilter, not even that they had a name, until I joined these here forums and found out that they were a big deal to most.
In my opinion, they were good, and nice to listen to for a few scant minutes, but in no way were they something that should be deemed untouchable for 17+ years! Nothing at that park should be untouchable, in fact should be constantly changing. I want to see more turnover at that park, not less.
I also don't tend to care the reason why they are being replaced, be it contract disputes, "equity performers" being a nice fancy word people are throwing around, or if one of the members was caught in a 17 year embezzlement scheme stealing Disney Parks brand napkins daily to sell them on the black market. 17 years of constant, reliable work is amazing for a band of any kind! How many bands get to have that kind of gig?

The only question I have is the quality of the replacement. If they are good quality, I wont care how cheap they are and if the decision was made strictly for financial reasons. If they decided to replace them with one guy playing Oh Canada with a kazoo on loop all day, and did it because he could be had at the cost of 3 sugar packets a day, then I'll care, but not for the cost reasons, but the quality. And right now, we have no understanding of the quality of the replacement acts.

Saving money is something any company should strive to do. I have no problems at all with a company saving money. I do however have problems with a company saving money at the cost of quality. WDW has done way too much of that already in the last few years, but since I do not know if this is a drop in quality, I can't yet speculate in this instance if this is a bad thing or a good thing (or a neutral thing) yet.

And remember, all of this is my opinion on this instance. Your mileage may vary.

PhotoDave219

The chair acrobats in France, the Voices of Liberty, and the Taiko Drummers (which, I love). Now if you're talking about in general and not just performers, I'd list about a dozen or so things.

This is opinion, not right or wrong, and maybe for YOU Off-Kilter is this huge iconic thing, but I don't think you can make that assumption for the general Disney park attendee.

I think I can. I think that Off Kilter packs people in constantly. I think its been proven that they have an insane fanbase. They're a staple thats been there as long as most everyone has been coming.

And my opinion, right or wrong, is youre picking the wrong people to argue with. Because the fact is that Off Kilter is an institution for 17 years. World Showcase Players have been there since the beginning.

And where are the Epcot fanboiz? Is it only their rendition of future world they care about?

PhotoDave219

I'm sorry, but I don't think that I am. Disney is NOT just cutting, they are replacing. Some of what they are cutting is beloved and will be miss, some is not as good (all of this being opinion of course). Some of what they are bringing in sounds exciting, some sounds lame (again, opinion). But, in the end, they aren't actually cutting what is offered to the public, just changing what it is. Now, I understand all of the arguments about changing things that aren't broken when they should be changing things that are, and the posts about how this is just a callous cash cutting coup by Disney execs greedy to pinch pennies where-ere they can, but honestly, it sounds to me like it's just time to change out the acts and freshen up that aspect of the park. Woven in as part of a much large narrative, yes, I can see why folks are reacting negatively, but that narrative involves a bit of storytelling and guess-work that folks here are providing in order to tell the story they want to tell. Taken on it's own, it's a interesting story that might be a good thing for the parks, and is sad for fans of specific performers who are cut.

Care to post the budgetary documents that would back up your assertion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom