Dining Plan Blues for a 10 yr old.

GeoDonJac34

We have gone to dinner with all of us on the ddp and some in the group not really hungry, and they just paid oop for appetizers. There was no problem, not sure if there is a rule on it. But let me also say my son was 9 when he was 10. I guess that makes me horrible. He is eleven now and has no memory of it at all. I'm pretty sure his life isn't ruined by it. I also don' feel less of a parent for it. When your kid is a picky eater, and all he wants is the kids menu then paying adult prices for him is not worth it. Bash away.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Someone with a little more dining plan savvy might know the answer to this question...

I know that every one on any given reservation must be on the dining plan, or else no one can be on the dining plan. But does that mean that everyone must use their credits when they all eat together?

Hypothetical, 3 people, 2 parents and the child of a 12 year old sit down to eat together at a table service restaurant, but one person isn't terribly hungry and only wants an appetizer and soda. Unless the restaurant in question is a buffet, where it's pay one price (or one credit) regardless of what you eat, couldn't that family ask to use 2 table credits for the 2 full meals, pay for the appetizer out of pocket, and then save the unused credit for a meal later, or use it towards a Signature Dining meal?

If that sort of thing is possible, I wonder if that might be a way to go for the OP - put the 10-year old on the dining plan as an adult, but pay for his meals out of pocket, and then keep using his unused table credits for Signature Dining Credits, and his counter service credits for other meals where necessary. I know that Disney portions are pretty big, and I don't think I'd want to eat 3 table-service meals a day, but when we're on the dining plan we still tend to pay for a counter-service breakfast OOP (maybe one or two breakfast buffets over the course of a vacation), counter service credits for lunch and table-service for dinner.

And on the flip-flop, if the OP's son decides to start being adventurous, you already have the dining plan.
That situation you described is possible. All you really need to do is tell your server what you are doing and they will take car of the rest. It is a great way to bank credits for signature meals.

JillC LI

I can relate to your conundrum. Our daughter just turned 10 at the end of December, so our October 2010 trip was the last one with her being on the cheaper meal plan. The thing is, she is a picky eater and would really just want things from the kids menu. Fortunately for us, our son is 8 and always wants to order from the adult menu, so we'll be able to trade them off each other. But still, It's not like she can suddenly eat $30/day more in food than last year. Oh well....

We have the exact same situation. DS will be over 10 on this trip but he will prefer to eat kids meals. DD will only be 9, but she will be thrilled to be allowed to order more interesting dishes off the adult menu. So they'll swap!

lara78660

The upgraded Disney Dinning plan with table service is a NIGHTMARE if you have a 10 yr old who still wants to eat off the kids menu. THEY WON'T LET YOU. I don't mind paying more - they do have to draw a line somewhere. But Not letting them eat off the kids menu. Are they CRAZY? I thought Disney was kid friendly?!?

We were kicked out of our reserved dining because our 10 yr old wasn't allowed to order from the menu his 8 yr old brother was. Really?! I paid more for my 10 yr old, but he can't EAT what he wants?!?

Crazy!!

MissingDisney

Our 10 and 12 year olds have ordered off the kids menus at several places and we've never had a problem. We've done this on the dining plan and when paying OOP. Never an issue. We have decided to do OOP until the kids really eat enough to make the DDP worth it....until then, kids menu it is.

lara78660

Yes, but Heaven forbid if you want to use the Table plan dining plan for a 10 yr old on a kid meal.

Its a double edged sword - i've discovered after the fact. They won't let you buy a kid plan - but they also won't let them us their more expensive plan for kid stuff - crazy

You are right - stick to OOP for kids... Which, unfortunately means for you too since everyone in the party has to be on same plan...

Ugh.

Just skip Disney.

6 flags is more fun.

ladydi

Yes, but Heaven forbid if you want to use the Table plan dining plan for a 10 yr old on a kid meal.

Its a double edged sword - i've discovered after the fact. They won't let you buy a kid plan - but they also won't let them us their more expensive plan for kid stuff - crazy

You are right - stick to OOP for kids... Which, unfortunately means for you too since everyone in the party has to be on same plan...

Ugh.

Just skip Disney.

6 flags is more fun.
Yikes! We have free Dining in October. I guarantee my DD age 11 will starve rather than order off the adult menu. I hope your experience is not the new norm.

lara78660

Yikes! We have free Dining in October. I guarantee my DD age 11 will starve rather than order off the adult menu. I hope your experience is not the new norm.

You should be fine with quick service. It is only the more expensive Table service we had the problems with. If I hear back from Disney, I'll post here.

ninjaprincesst

My daughter is 14 and has ordered off the kids menu at the Garden Grill for years, they don 't care at all, of course she is using an adult dining plan credit, but they have never cared.

Jo DeVil

DS for this Oct trip he turns 10 on the 15th and we arrive on the 17th, because of DH work dates. DS has been waiting to order off the Adults menu as he does not eat nuggets etc. In the past some of the Signature Restaurants have made him some thing special to his delight. I guess we are lucky with him, I could put garlic on a sweaty sock and I think he would eat it!! As kids taste change so much over the years, if it has been over 6 months since he didn't like something he tries it again just to check.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The upgraded Disney Dinning plan with table service is a NIGHTMARE if you have a 10 yr old who still wants to eat off the kids menu. THEY WON'T LET YOU. I don't mind paying more - they do have to draw a line somewhere. But Not letting them eat off the kids menu. Are they CRAZY? I thought Disney was kid friendly?!?

We were kicked out of our reserved dining because our 10 yr old wasn't allowed to order from the menu his 8 yr old brother was. Really?! I paid more for my 10 yr old, but he can't EAT what he wants?!?

Crazy!!
Which restaurant did you have this problem at?

Baldy

If you do stick with the dining plan, check the menus. Some restaurants have pizza or burgers (if they have fries on their kids menu, they will let you substitute them as a side). At buffets, he can eat from the children's area (we did almost exclusively buffets the year he turned ten)...
Also, many of the restaurants will allow you to get an adult size portion of the kid's meal (stick with Disney owned restaurants). We even had a server who got my son chicken nuggets from somewhere else when he couldn't find anything he liked on he menu.
* Then at the age of ten, he discovered steak. Now we make full use of his dining plan credit:D.

Baldy

Crazy!!
Interesting. Where did you eat? I guess it depends who you talk to. We did exactly this for two years (one seven day trip in 2010 and one eight day trip2011). Or maybe the rules changed recently?

MissingDisney

Ugh.

Just skip Disney.

6 flags is more fun.
I did use the dining plan. My 12 year old is an adult to Disney standards and ordered a kids meal with a tableservice credit. We had no problems at all. Over the years, we have done this many, many times. That's why I think most are of the opinion that yours must have been some type of different situation or scenario. Lots of us have done this with no problem.

As for skipping Disney, no thanks!;) We've had 6 flags and cedar fair season passes in the past. Not more fun, just different fun. But that's already been discussed in a thousand other threads. :p

PhilharMagician

Crazy!!
Yeah, where did this happen?

My 12 Y/O has ordered off of the kids menu without issues.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It was quite a few years ago now but my 18 cousin ordered almost exclusively off the kids menu well using the Adult DP on our trip. Some places even let her order 2 or 3 sides as a "meal" using the DP.

jaklgreen

My kids were ones that never ate off of the kids menu. They always just split an adult meal. But if I was in you shoes I would skip the dining plan. It is not a money saver at all. Just skip the plan and pay out of pocket for everything.

However, my 10 yr old DS will never eat from the adult menu. The difference in price between an adult and a child on the dining plan is pretty steep. ....... Am I missing something?

Is your kid 10 or not? If your kid is 10+, then abide by the rules and pay the price or don't buy into the plan. What about granny who eats like a bird, should we call her under 10 as well? Take the leftovers home for God's sake! We belong to a yacht club and we are in the same position as you with our eldest but that is the price you have to pay (unless you are one of those people...).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If you are going for 2 weeks, you might consider having one person getting an AP, then purchase the TiW card. If you plan a lot of TS meals, it might save you quite a bit, and then you can eat what yu want, instead of having to worry about getting the most expensive item on the menu to make it "worth" the cost. Just a thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom