Trip Report Go west they said. The weather is so perfect you'll never want to leave they said.

Greetings to all my Disney-fied, Pixie Dust-fried friends! Yep, it's that time again...moving on to the next adventure. This time we finally went west for our glorious (or not-so-glorious?) return to Disney parks.

The particulars:

Who? Me, Tracey (DH, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy), Chandler (DS18, @casutton96), & Brian (DS16)

What? Disneyland Resort family vacation

Where? Disneyland Hotel / Disneyland / California

When? April 26, 2104 - May 3, 2014

I'm not feeling extra wordy at the moment (rare, I know) so let's get started....

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Monterey has better Pacific vistas. After living there, I want my ashes to be spread to the pacific and the morning tides...

Such a great view.

But, given your circumstances and history, I can see why this was amazing for you. Why? Because it is AMAZING! There's a reason people fall in love with the west coast, and I'm convinced this sort of vista is part of it!

Excellent choice for day 1! (still reading along)

I know Monterey looks so amazing! I want to go! When we're down in Anaheim/OC I'm kinda a-skeert of traversing LA to get there. Seriously. Houston & Atlanta are crazy but LA is like a whole 'nother beast.

Crystal Cove was amazing. We enjoyed that sooooo much.

To be honest, the best trip reports are not written as "trip reports"...rather diaries.

I've thoroughly enjoyed yours over the years (and others).

I'm very happy to be following along with your experience. Thanks for posting and writing!

Awww, thanks. Yep, I agree. Honest and complete. Write it from the heart and let the reader sort out what they like.

As bad as we want to stay at the Grand Californian next time my mind keeps going back to our DLH "family" and I'm not sure I want to miss them next time. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I live on the gulf side, not the desert side. :p{/QUOTE]

Oh, the sane side. <kidding...but I really think most people in Dallas have lost their minds...long story>

It is a great airport. Very easy to maneuver and the TSA agents on our outbound day were fun. How often does THAT happen???

I loved that Airport. So small, so fun.

1) ??? It's whatever came with it. I thought briefly of buying another lens to try but I'm so lost on all the tech stuff. I'll just stick with what I have and go get my hair did instead.

I use a sony point and shoot, my Dad shared the camera he got my Mom with a lens like that, and I salivated...

I'd LOVE to be able to shoot pictures like you did.

VERY nice shots!

2) I loved that bathroom! I want those sink & shower fixtures for my house!

Did you have issues with neighbor noises? I did...otherwise, I loved that bathroom as well...

Isn't Trader Sam's the BEST?!

Yay! Glad you're enjoying!
You should know I would, I love your Trip Reports! So glad you and your clan had fun!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We stopped on the way back thru Newport Beach to grab something to drink at a gas station. As we were pulling back out onto PCH Chandler had a full-on kitten for me to get this picture of the car across the street. This, apparently, is a Porsche Carerra GT. According to the car guy: there were 1270 of these made between 2004 & 2007, cost half a million originally, and now you'd pay more like $400k - $800K. They're rare to find in the US. Also of note, this is the same type car Paul Walker died in last year. Ride around Newport with my kid. I'm telling you, it's a wild ride and constant rattle of information.

I tried and failed at getting a shot of the Ferrari dealership.

On the way back we stopped at a tiny half-a-Walmart in Huntington Beach. We stocked up on bottled water, sodas, and a few other things. We also stopped by the Sheraton on Harbor by the convention center to drop off some bottled water for @derelicte19 & @TiggerLuv18. Yes, people, there's perks to being my friend. I will do nice things for you because I <3 you.

All day when we were driving around it kinda freaked me out the way when stopped at a traffic light motorcycles will ride up to the light in between all the cars. The roads already seemed narrow. Or maybe the Ford Expedition is wider than I'm used to the Chevy Tahoe? Either way, it startled me every time. OH! And then every time we'd see a big motorcycle someone would inevitibly announce, "Look! A Laughing Devil!" Or "Look! Sin Mob!" :hilarious:

Back at the Disneyland Hotel, we valet parked the rental for the night at the bargain price of $22. :greedy::banghead:

This is a little sitting area near the curb and entry to the Disneyland Hotel.

Mickey & Minnie statues to greet us.

We went upstairs, unpacked, settled in, and decided to lay down for a wee bit of a nap. It was only 5:30 pm on the west coast but back home it was 7:30 and we'd been up since early. And without a whole lot of sleep. So we thought we'd catch a quicky hour or so.

Chandler woke us up 4 hours later at 9:30. :eek: He was apologetic, said he was very hungry but didn't know where the food was. I promise you Tracey & I would've slept straight thru to morning.

We ran down to the onsite counter service place, Tangaroa Terrace. We just made it before the 10:00 closing. We ordered our food then sat down to wait. It's counter service because you order at the counter but they give you a number to put on your number holder on the table. Then, they bring out the food to you. On real plates. With real cutlery. :jawdrop:

We were the only ones there and apologizing profusely to all the CMs at being the last inconvenience at the tail end of the night. We explained that we were jetlagged. I've never experienced THAT before. The CMs were so super duper nice going out of their way to make us feel at home. Not long after our food arrived the one lady who had been working the register came over to us to check on us. She also said she was about to close her register and wanted to be sure we had enough to eat before she did in case we might want something more.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Such service. Such kindness and consideration. No, we didn't want anything else but feeling cared for sure did make us feel right at home. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

On our way back out to our room I snapped a picture of the water slide tower all lit up at night. The classic Disneyland sign is so cool! And the slides are monorails! Oh yes. We are HOME.

Instagrammed it! This one you can see where water falls from beneath the words on the sign. It's such a fun themed area and so pretty at night.

We returned to our room & I organized for an early morning tomorrow. I was in bed and falling right to sleep at 11:30.
I know those seats well...I sat there when I flew back to ATL early...

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We had a nice, refreshing, relaxing lazy time of an afternoon. Brian joined Tracey & me for our afternoon coconut cake at Tangaroa Terrace. This was our favorite table, too. We sat at this same table every time we came here which was a lot.

I don't even know what the cake filling was but this is the perfect coconut cake. Not kidding. I am going to find out if I can order an entire big cake of this for our room next time.

Somewhere around 4-4:30 we made our way back to DL via the monorail from DtD to Tomorrowland. Even though front cab rides are still done out in California they weren't letting people do them the past few days. Or at least every time we asked they said they weren't doing them right then. :( After our baking in the back cabin with the windows open I would venture a guess that they don't want passengers up front where there's no windows or a/c when it's that hot. That would make sense, right?

We got in line for SM even though it was posted at 60 minutes. We weren't in line too long before the ride went down. Oh well. So we walked over to Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters and jumped in with just a 15 minute wait. Not bad.

Let's ride!

Brian had this version of Buzz down. At WDW he usually had the lowest score. At DL he waxed us all every time.

That's Brian's score on the left. It's a lot harder out in California and we don't know the big score targets.

We went back to check if Space Mountain was back up. Nope. It was hot and the park was pretty tight crowded. We cooled off in Star Traders and shopped. Tracey found his brother the Galaxy Swag shirt he'd been looking for so we bought it. After we finished shopping we found that Space was back up so we jumped in the standby line. It ended up being a 45 minute wait. The part that stinks the worst is the big part of the line that's outside on the roof. Yes, it's shaded but it's still outside in the heat on a roof. I took this from the line.

Finally inside. Thank blessed Jesus for air conditioning.

Almost there.

Finally! Tracey got the memo! Actually, none of us were sure where the photo was on the ride so we all rode the entire time frozen in this position. :hilarious:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Chandler was going to die if he didn't get a last Dole Whip so we crossed over to Adventureland to save his life. the Dole Whip stand is right in front of the Tiki Room. In fact, the line on the inside of the Tiki Room area is almost always waaaay shorter than the line outside. While standing in the Tiki Room area I snapped some pics.

It's a church?

The Dole promotional video...which is quite interesting, actually.

Mmmmm...

By now the park was feeling way too tight for our comfort. We figured we'd just hop over to DCA for the rest of the night. No problem. Walking out via Main Street for the last time I was trying really hard not too look back. I did sneak a peak back towards the castle and Tracey busted me. "I saw that!" Yeah yeah. Shut up.

I really did have to bite back my tears when I looked up at the light in the window over the fire station. Thanks, Uncle Walt. Til next time.

So we got out the exit gates and found ourselves spilled out into a madhouse of an esplanade. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: We haven't seen this many people all week! The lines just to get into the parks, both of them, were so long. Not bag check. At the actual gates. Bag check was a whole 'nother zoo. Every one of us froze in our tracks. Tracey said, "I bet those lines are easily 20 minutes." We all agreed. Nobody even had to say anything. We all turned and walked away. There's no way we want to get up in that mess. If the lines to get in were that long there was no way we wanted to be in there.

And that's how it ended. :cry:

We swam upstream to get to the Grand Californian from DtD. We were hungry. We went to Storytellers hoping to have a sit down dinner. At 8:15 we would've had a 20+ minute wait. No, thanks. We returned to our own hotel and had one last relaxed dinner at Tangaroa Terrace. There was no coconut cake left which was a total bummer. So many of the CMs we'd seen all week long saw us and made it a point to come talk with us. When one started making a fuss over us leaving tomorrow another overheard and soon the whole family had come out to bid us farewell including the Sous Chef fellow we'd seen a few times in his more official-looking white chef coat. We chatted a bit and mentioned how much we adored that coconut cake. We were so sad not to have it one last time. The Sous Chef told us not to leave before he got back and he rushed out the front door of the restaurant. He came back about 10 minutes later with a to-go box with coconut cake inside! :inlove::inlove::inlove: I can't say enough wonderful things about our Tangaroa Terrace family. Such a wonderful group of folks there. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

We returned to our room and finished up packing. OH! And we got to see the fireworks from our room! We all sat in the window and listened to the soundtrack via the resort tv as we watched together in the dark. It was such a sweet moment together. We could see Tinkerbell and Dumbo fly clear as day. It was really a neat view. :happy:

That was that. Final sleep in our Disneyland beds. G'night.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Saturday, May 3, 2014 - Every adventure has to have a beginning and an end.

Yep, every adventure has to have beginning and an end. Without the beginning you'd have no end and without the end you'd have no beginning. So let's not be sad. This is just the part that get's us to the next beginning. Right?

I miss waking up to this view.

We were up plenty early to get dressed, throw the last of our stuff in our suitcases, and go. Pleeeenty of time. So we get everything finished, bell services has fetched our luggage, and we're about to leave the room a full hour ahead of schedule. Let's make one last pass through the room to make sure we aren't leaving anything. Opening and closing drawers. What the?!?! All my clothes were still in the dresser. I forgot to pack them! :jawdrop: It was so funny because the whole time the guys were tucking the last of everything into the suitcases they kept marveling at how much more room there was than when we came. How does that happen??? Yeah, when one of us has a complete brain-lapse and doesn't put their clothes in the suitcase. That's how. :facepalm: That's a first, lemme tell ya! So Tracey had to call bell services to bring everything back up. The boys and I were like a machine. We snatched 3 bags off the bell services cart, jammed stuff in, and whipped 'em back onto the cart in a matter of minutes.

Okay...NOW we can leave. Sheesh! :facepalm:

We walked out the door and Tracey asked if I'd taken a picture of our "home" for the week. No. Here ya go.

Room 2825. Add the first 2 numbers together and that's the floor you're on.

Standing by the 1 elevator of the 3 that was actually working.

Last breakfast.

Sad faces at our table.

I forget what the heck the name of this was that Chandler had. It looked interesting.

Tracey almost got his feelings hurt because I wasn't going to take a pic of his breakfast. It's not that interesting.

I had one of my breakfast shakes. Then Tracey and I had 1 last last piece of our favorite cake.

We finished settling up our final bill with the resort account. This is such a cool magical map in the lobby.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Tracey fetched our luggage from Bell Services and got us a taxi. In the meantime I was steadily taking pictures. Everything was the last look so I wanted to take pictures of it all.

Brian!

Goodbye Disneyland Hotel. :bawling:

Goodbye fascinating mountains.

Goodbye Disneyland vacation.

All good tales must have an end, right?

But the bestest of tales have this end.

Until next time, friends, may we all have our happily ever afters....and coconut cake. :inlove:

fractal

Loved your comments on Mr. Toad's! I grew up spending summers in Wildwood NJ and there are certain places on the boardwalk that always take me back.

Don't get down on yourself about the pics in dark rides. The kit lens you have for the NEX-3 is not "fast" enough to capture those shots in the dark. The Sony E 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for $300 but sometimes
a bit long for some dark rides ( although I used it a lot in WDW ). The 35mm 1.8 would also work well and give you a wider view. It's also a better "carry around" lens to have on than the 50mm but it's more expensive and i don't
think the results are as good as the 50mm.

Loved Tarzan's tree house! The views alone are worth the climb. I hear you on messy bedrooms. :D Sterg's room causes constant angst between him and Val.

Awesome report!

PolynesianPrincess

This is behind the exit/unload.

I hadn't thought of Mr. Toad in a long time. I kinda miss the fella. I know the story in the attraction probably doesn't mean a lot to my kids but it meant a lot to me that we all were able to ride that together.

Next we hopped in the Snow White line. I wanted to wait for the wicked queen to open the curtains in the window up here but there were people behind me wanting to get in line.

The line was about 20-25 minutes. At least it was mostly inside out of the sun and there was cool stuff to look at.

Note the crow's shadow in the corridor on the right. When it crowed it moved. It's the little things, ya know?

This is behind the unload/load.

My on-ride pics weren't too swooft but I get points for trying.

This one I sorta like.

Weird. Almost dreamy the way some things focus while others are in motion.

Hey! Another end of report contender???

Did that ending seem abrupt to you? It WAS. The story goes along then BAM! It's over. At the end I was like, "Wait! I wasn't ready yet!" Oh well. As we were leaving this little guy was giving us the stink-eye. The crow, not the CM. LOL!

Ashley and I said the EXACT SAME THING about Snow White's Adventure! It's like oh no, there goes the Evil Queen toppling backwards with the rock and then... wait, that's it? It's over? No Prince? No seeing Snow White in all her glory and happy? It was bizarre for us!!

And Ashley and I both have VERY fond memories of Mr. Toad from MK when we were younger. We had this silly little game we played that the person driving was taking their drivers test and the person not driving was the teacher. And obviously every time, whoever is driving fails because really, you take the car through Hell... That's enough to fail right there! haha. I will say after we got off the first time riding it at DL I teared up a little. It was one of our favorites when we were kids and I miss it.

PolynesianPrincess

OK, I'm in tears now! :cry: Reading about your last look at the light in Walt's apartment did me in. As did the very last picture. I was there when you took that! And when you took the opening picture! :)

That coconut cake looks AMAZING! I love coconut and yellow / white cake so that''s right up my alley!

So gross about the woman changing the diaper on the table. I would've said something. No way would I let something like that take away my appetite. Clearly these people have zero class or respect for others. If they do that at DCA, imagine what other things they do in their everyday lives...

And is Brian trying to look up Minnie's skirt in that last pic of him?! Barney Stinson indeed!! lol

Seriously though, thanks for hanging out with us and allowing us to be part of your first DLR vacation! As I've said 85 times before, we had a blast! :) Hope to see you all again soon!

MerMom1981

You. Are a troublemaker!!!

I was all set with my pre- pre- pre- trip plans for a return to WDW next May, and then I read this!

DL looks so wonderful! I'm seriously thinking about changing our destination.

Obviously, I enjoyed your report. Nice work, as always. :) It's nice to see how you enjoy the moments with your family. Life is about the moments.

And by the by, you ARE well loved around here. Your wit and insight, and (more importantly) sass is much appreciated! Who doesn't love a girl with a big heart and a smart mouth?

popsicletrees

Y'know, Rachel, that's so true. I'm really glad you put that out there.

I think lots of people have an attitude that either "other people are so lucky" or that "it comes easy to some people" or "I want what I feel I'm entitled to", and our girl Kelly just lays it out and shows that it's not lucky, or easy, and if you work for what you want, that's what gets you entitled to it. That explains why she's beloved around here, and I am proud to call her friend. :inlove:

Being a high school teacher I run into those attitudes all the time! The school that I teach at has a high poverty rate. I try to tell my kids all the time that they can go after what they want in life, but they have to work for it. And I love to read about people's lives where that does come true.

Thank you so much! OMGosh! I think this is one of the sweetest posts ever!

As "small" as everyone claims DL is, there's so much stuff packed in there. Like WDW, you have to keep going back to get around to things and even then you'll never do it all. That's what makes DL so incredible. As WDW vets we see the smaller size and think, "Yeah....(chuckle-chuckle)....piece of cake." Yeah, right! It doesn't work that way.

I'm so glad you like seeing all the stuff that our family does together. It's so much fun. All the struggles or challenges to get to where we are is what makes us who we are. Right? I love to write on any ordinary day. Telling our stories takes my love of writing to a whole 'nother level. ((Have you ever read or listened to StoryCorps stories??? I LOVE those!))

Tracey's parents always took their family all sorts of places. His parents had times of good fortune and times that were thin. The kids never felt like they missed anything, tho. They did stuff together and could have a blast on little to nothing. Hearing their stories, the adventures they went on all over the country, it's awesome! We always tell ourselves 20, 30, 40 years from now when we look back it won't be the money we remember. It's the life we lived and the memories. The rest is just details. That's true.

As the years go by the amounts we've spent to do what we wanted to with our family seems to become more and more just a fuzzy insignificant detail. Was it a big deal at the time? Yeah. I sold every doll in my tiny collection, most of them gifts, and Tracey sold every piece of fishing tackle he had just to scrape together enough money to take our boys to WDW the first time in January 2004. Since then it's been a strange dance to get where we wanted to go. Sometimes it was harder. Sometimes easier but we always made a way. Sometimes times were thin and other times we had money like we'd never had before. It's all part of the journey. Shouldn't we embrace that? Even now, the past several big trips we've taken I've questioned the wisdom in going forward with them so heavily. It's been a LOT of money, far more than I ever dreamed we'd spend. As the family bookeeper, financially I see that some things aren't the wisest and I second guess everything. I worry so much. But the boys are growing up so fast and each trip is more and more precious. We're so close to not having the luxury of time with them anymore. We see that. Tracey says, "Well if I have to work more, I will. If I have to put off retirement a few more years, I don't care. These are our opportunities and we can't let them pass us by. If we do, we might not have them again." He's right. So maybe at the end of this life we won't have much of anything but I promise you we'll be rich as any royalty with love, family, and memories. Most importantly we won't have regrets. We will have always done our best. There's not much more anyone can ask, really.

Tracey IS a sweetheart! He's a great caretaker at heart. He's always helping random people whenever he can because he enjoys it and it's what people should do. I've always loved that in him. :inlove:

No DL does not work at all like a piece of cake. This report is making me want to go back!

I've never heard of StoryCorps. I'll have to check it out. Your family is very entertaining to read about. The men in your life remind me a lot of the men in mine.

You are absolutely right that the ups and downs are all part of the journey. There are so many things that Jordan and I could choose not to do to have more money in the bank. We've been very responsible with our finances (I'm the bookkeeper too and it gets stressful sometimes!), but at the end of the day we've had so much fun with the opportunities we've been blessed with instead of the size of our savings account. I'm with you, I don't want to have any regrets. Someday we will have a family, and I want them to experience the world, and it's really cool how y'all have given your boys that opportunity.

On a side note: I forgot to write in my last post that on my first trip to DL we ate at Blue Bayou. I had the Monte Cristo (didn't care for it) too. I couldn't believe how expensive it was! The atmosphere was really cool, but it was just not worth it to me.

5thGenTexan

For awhile I had been looking and thinking about Disneyland instead of WDW. Everything just sounded better. Then I saw you planning your trip in the DLR forum and read MANY good points in others recommendations. I was all excited and ready for that to be our next trip. Your trip report just made DLR even more appealing. Then DCL announces the return to Galveston and all bets are off after that. :D Maybe after Dec 2015, but Disneyland IS going to be the trip we go on next... after our uhhh next trip. :)

TrolleyFollower91

I really want to travel with your family. Y'all seem so fun! Anywho, LOVE the trip report! I've become a DLR convert since the opening of cars land! If only we could drive to DLR like we can to WDW! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to your next report! I assume it is a cruise!

stillgoofy

What a fabulous TR. The DL info is very helpful for our upcoming first DL trip in Sept. Loved reading about all family your adventures. Every trip really is an adventure, isn't it? Also meeting up with WDWMagic friends sounds awesome. I can't wait to do that myself someday. Thanks for taking the time to write this report.

FlaggNL

Again thanks for the share! Love to see al the DLC pictures! Love the Mr Toads part! It seems that we have to say that DLC has to be on our wishlist for the future :) But one thing at the time so first still have great pre feelings about WDW in Octover :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom