Hot be damned. I'm done licking my sunburn/windburn wounds. Let's go back!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Soooooo y'all have heard me whine and carry on about our terrible luck catching the crazy hot Santa Ana winds last week. And the herds of people. I've edited almost all my photos. Uploading has begun. Ordered our Photopass pics. Report is coming soon. Hubby & I have had time to get over the crash back to real life. Sorta.

Much like last May when we were on the Disney Fantasy for the first time...you know....when I was sick as a dog buying drugs in Mexico...paddle boarding in the pouring rain....only seeing a very rainy dreary Castaway Cay from my verandah.... I feel like I left so much on the table in the west coast parks. We did a lot but there's so much I feel I didn't do. I hate that feeling. The Disney Fantasy beckoned me for a redo last September. Well......

2 days ago I would've said, "I don't know if I want to go back. What if it's hot again?" Today is a different story. And I think I know how to handle if it's crazy hot again. We were getting the hang of that at the end last week. Get moving early, chill out mid-day (I'm a huge napper), then return to close the parks down.

We knew all along we had decisions to make after we got back from California in terms of where our hearts wanted to do our now(?) annual fall anniversary getaway. We've kicked around all sorts of cruise options out of Florida since I'll already be there the week after our anniversary for the 2nd run of the girls cruise. But really, Florida just wasn't beckoning us this year. The sea wasn't really calling us. We found ourselves wishing for a return to California. And we have APs! Why not get another use out of them?!

Sooooooo, tonight I pulled a tiny trigger and booked flights while the prices were good to return 9/27-10/4. If we end up needing to reschedule the flights we can. But for right now in this moment...I just got home from Disneyland and I'm going back for round 2. Am I glutton for punishment??? Or infected by the west coast pixie dust??? There was enough dirt flying around in the air last week...maybe some pixie dust got mixed in! :p

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
@sweetpee_1993 Nice to hear! You'll be catching some Halloween overlays, hope that's okay with you. Glad you're giving it another chance. Plus, like you said, you have APs haha.

What's this about drugs in Mexico???

I've never even seen the Nightmare Before Christmas so I have a little homework to take care of before September. Halloween isn't my favorite time of year but it'll be fine. I can deal with it. I think the Ghost Galaxy will be super cool!

Drugs in Mexico. Started with fever and sore throat the afternoon we boarded the ship. By the time we got to Mexico I could tell I had strep. Painful blisters in my throat. We got off the ship as fast as we could once we reached Mexico and went to the first pharmacy we could find in the secure port area. Bought a quantity of 2 different strong, broad-use antibiotics. A lot of meds that are prescription in the US are over the counter in Mexico. They had all sorts of pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc. that we were familiar with that could be purchased totally legit over the counter. Surprised us. We were sure we could get antibiotics because a friend of ours on a fishing trip in Mexico got sick or something a few years back and we remembered him saying he bought penicilin over the counter in a pharmacy. So, yeah. Bought drugs in Mexico. ;)

Californian Elitist

I've never even seen the Nightmare Before Christmas so I have a little homework to take care of before September. Halloween isn't my favorite time of year but it'll be fine. I can deal with it. I think the Ghost Galaxy will be super cool!

Drugs in Mexico. Started with fever and sore throat the afternoon we boarded the ship. By the time we got to Mexico I could tell I had strep. Painful blisters in my throat. We got off the ship as fast as we could once we reached Mexico and went to the first pharmacy we could find in the secure port area. Bought a quantity of 2 different strong, broad-use antibiotics. A lot of meds that are prescription in the US are over the counter in Mexico. They had all sorts of pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc. that we were familiar with that could be purchased totally legit over the counter. Surprised us. We were sure we could get antibiotics because a friend of ours on a fishing trip in Mexico got sick or something a few years back and we remembered him saying he bought penicilin over the counter in a pharmacy. So, yeah. Bought drugs in Mexico. ;)

Yes, I definitely recommend watching the movie before experiencing the ride. Very interesting story about Mexico!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Disneyland and the West Coast has a certain magic to it. Even though we are doing WDW this summer I kind of wish it was Disneyland again instead. But we are doing our first Disney cruise in junction with WDW so that makes it more exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures of DL.

Californian Elitist

No. We were thinking we'd hit rope drop the day after a Halloween party. I say that but when the tickets actually go on sale all bets are off. LOL! I would need to know more about what is open, how late it runs, etc.

Hahaha! You've got time to think about it. APs get discounts on tickets, that's why I asked, just in case you had plans on attending a party.

PolynesianPrincess

YAY! I'm so glad you all are going back! I knew when you texted me yesterday that you were going to do it! hehe. I wish we could go back before next spring :( Heck, I wish we could go back in September the same time as you so we could have some more awesome adventures!! hahaha. Is it just going to be you and the hubs again or are the boys going too? I know it's your anniversary and all! :)

But like you said, there really WAS just sooo much we didn't do. I didn't realize just how much there is to do there! I think I posted this in the thread I made but between all the ride closures and stuff we just didn't have time for, we missed like 28-30 things (rides, shows, etc..) That's a lot of stuff! In the spring we are going to get APs. Might as well since we will have the spring trip and then the Christmas trip. I am kicking myself for not getting an AP this time because our spring trip will fall within the year the AP would've been good for but we weren't sure how much we would like it. I think we ended up liking it A LOT more than we thought, even with the crowds and crazy weather! Like you, DCA held our attention more than DL. Not that DL was bad but to me it was just a bit... odd. Maybe it's because I'm used to the way MK in WDW is set up so everything felt out of place where DCA is a completely new park and I don't know where things are "supposed to be" but DCA was better for me. Maybe once the rides that are down for refurb open back up the park won't seem so clustered.

Gonna go big and stay at the Grand Californian? So excited to see what you all come up with for plans while you're there! One thing for sure though.. you better have a Backside of Water in mine and @TiggerLuv18 honor! (Yeah, I tagged Ashley.. She might never see it but I'm trying to get her on here more!! lol)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sooooooo, tonight I pulled a tiny trigger and booked flights while the prices were good to return 9/27-10/4. If we end up needing to reschedule the flights we can. But for right now in this moment...I just got home from Disneyland and I'm going back for round 2. Am I glutton for punishment??? Or infected by the west coast pixie dust??? There was enough dirt flying around in the air last week...maybe some pixie dust got mixed in! :p

Warning you now.. the normal temps are higher at that time then it is in April ;)

But you guys just had a real anomaly mixed in with the absurd rehab schedule. You gingers need extra special sun protection.. otherwise the rest of us are loving that weather :)

Halloween is decorated very well in the parks. The HM overlays are over the top.. but you do need to dodge the parties. Plan a nice dinner for that night instead.

We were at DLR to celebrate our 15th anniversary - worked nice. Except I need more benches around the parks.. my back needs a rest after such abuse. I hoping the next diversion is out west again.. but we have a cruise this fall and I'm bankrolling bringing both sets of parents so I figure my Disney budget is blown for awhile.

Figments Friend

Sooooooo, tonight I pulled a tiny trigger and booked flights while the prices were good to return 9/27-10/4.

Wow sweetpea-1993....YOU too..?
I booked my next visit within 14 hours of returning home earlier this week.....for around the same time period.

Also have a AP now.

Are you my cloned twin or somethin...? Our brains seem to be alined.

Or is this just a definite sign that the mass exodus of disenchanted ex-WDW vets heading out to DLR is reaching a new level?

Also have no interest in returning to FL anytime immediately soon...and i still have a 4 Day Park Hopper that has yet to be used.
Never dreamed i would become a PassHolder...even after being a 30+ year WDW Vet.
And a PassHolder to the Park(s) on the opposite coast to boot !

Sign of the times, methinks....but change is good.

:)

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
YAY! I'm so glad you all are going back! I knew when you texted me yesterday that you were going to do it! hehe. I wish we could go back before next spring :( Heck, I wish we could go back in September the same time as you so we could have some more awesome adventures!! hahaha. Is it just going to be you and the hubs again or are the boys going too? I know it's your anniversary and all! :)

But like you said, there really WAS just sooo much we didn't do. I didn't realize just how much there is to do there! I think I posted this in the thread I made but between all the ride closures and stuff we just didn't have time for, we missed like 28-30 things (rides, shows, etc..) That's a lot of stuff! In the spring we are going to get APs. Might as well since we will have the spring trip and then the Christmas trip. I am kicking myself for not getting an AP this time because our spring trip will fall within the year the AP would've been good for but we weren't sure how much we would like it. I think we ended up liking it A LOT more than we thought, even with the crowds and crazy weather! Like you, DCA held our attention more than DL. Not that DL was bad but to me it was just a bit... odd. Maybe it's because I'm used to the way MK in WDW is set up so everything felt out of place where DCA is a completely new park and I don't know where things are "supposed to be" but DCA was better for me. Maybe once the rides that are down for refurb open back up the park won't seem so clustered.

Gonna go big and stay at the Grand Californian? So excited to see what you all come up with for plans while you're there! One thing for sure though.. you better have a Backside of Water in mine and @TiggerLuv18 honor! (Yeah, I tagged Ashley.. She might never see it but I'm trying to get her on here more!! lol)

I texted you and Tammy both yesterday! LOL! I was surprised at how low the air fare was. I wish we could go back with y'all again, too!!! Yep, just Tracey & me. No kiddos. Now I can ride stuff with my bestie!

There was soooo much I feel like we left on the table. The refurbs were definitely a factor. Dodging the sun & heat was another. Lack of familiaritiy played a roll, too.

DL was definitely strange at first. Like stuff was familiar but then not. The area back between Frontierland thru to Tomorrowland confused me a bit. I got kinda discombobulated back there.

We *hope* to stay at the Grand Californian. Tracey's in the middle of the big transition at work going direct with the engineering company, project ending, etc. So much is in flux for right now. By the end of the month we should know more what to expect because he'll be assigned to another project. There's several possibilities, a couple of them are ginormous multi-billion dollar many years long projects. We'll just have to see where he gets sent next. Remember I mentioned us moving at the end of the month? In the last few days of the trip we had a family pow-wow about all that. As much as all of us dislike the house we live in, it's a house and it's cheap. It's a lot of space. We collectively decided that none of us wanted to go thru another move...moreso than we dislike the house. With everything in flux it makes sense to stay put and let life settle before making any moves so whatever direction we go will be a better informed choice. So the GOAL is the Grand Californian but it depends on finances, discounts, etc. as we get closer to time. I want that location and resort vibe so bad, tho! I also need to dig thru all these boxes of collectibles and stuff and thin down how much stuff we have. I've got some last dolls that are very rare that I've disconnected from. I have a huge box of Disney scrapbook stuff I bought years ago that I've never done a thing with. I have some special edition Disney pins that are rare I don't need. Disney picture frames! I have dozens still in their boxes never used! Then there's my purses and Lilly clothes I don't need or use. I really should start thinning all this stuff down and the $$ could go a LONG way towards the Grand Californian. Right???

I shall toast to you & Ashley with a Backside of Water! I agree. @TiggerLuv18 needs to get active here. She needs to be hanging with the cool crowd! C'mon!!!

TiggerLuv18

I texted you and Tammy both yesterday! LOL! I was surprised at how low the air fare was. I wish we could go back with y'all again, too!!! Yep, just Tracey & me. No kiddos. Now I can ride stuff with my bestie!

There was soooo much I feel like we left on the table. The refurbs were definitely a factor. Dodging the sun & heat was another. Lack of familiaritiy played a roll, too.

DL was definitely strange at first. Like stuff was familiar but then not. The area back between Frontierland thru to Tomorrowland confused me a bit. I got kinda discombobulated back there.

We *hope* to stay at the Grand Californian. Tracey's in the middle of the big transition at work going direct with the engineering company, project ending, etc. So much is in flux for right now. By the end of the month we should know more what to expect because he'll be assigned to another project. There's several possibilities, a couple of them are ginormous multi-billion dollar many years long projects. We'll just have to see where he gets sent next. Remember I mentioned us moving at the end of the month? In the last few days of the trip we had a family pow-wow about all that. As much as all of us dislike the house we live in, it's a house and it's cheap. It's a lot of space. We collectively decided that none of us wanted to go thru another move...moreso than we dislike the house. With everything in flux it makes sense to stay put and let life settle before making any moves so whatever direction we go will be a better informed choice. So the GOAL is the Grand Californian but it depends on finances, discounts, etc. as we get closer to time. I want that location and resort vibe so bad, tho! I also need to dig thru all these boxes of collectibles and stuff and thin down how much stuff we have. I've got some last dolls that are very rare that I've disconnected from. I have a huge box of Disney scrapbook stuff I bought years ago that I've never done a thing with. I have some special edition Disney pins that are rare I don't need. Disney picture frames! I have dozens still in their boxes never used! Then there's my purses and Lilly clothes I don't need or use. I really should start thinning all this stuff down and the $$ could go a LONG way towards the Grand Californian. Right???

I shall toast to you & Ashley with a Backside of Water! I agree. @TiggerLuv18 needs to get active here. She needs to be hanging with the cool crowd! C'mon!!!

Ok ok here I am. This is my first official post on here!! I had such a blast with you and your family and Tammy of course!!! Can't wait to go back! I'm craving a back side of water as we speak!!

Ps-does anyone need a water?!?!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Warning you now.. the normal temps are higher at that time then it is in April ;)

But you guys just had a real anomaly mixed in with the absurd rehab schedule. You gingers need extra special sun protection.. otherwise the rest of us are loving that weather :)

Halloween is decorated very well in the parks. The HM overlays are over the top.. but you do need to dodge the parties. Plan a nice dinner for that night instead.

We were at DLR to celebrate our 15th anniversary - worked nice. Except I need more benches around the parks.. my back needs a rest after such abuse. I hoping the next diversion is out west again.. but we have a cruise this fall and I'm bankrolling bringing both sets of parents so I figure my Disney budget is blown for awhile.

The upper 80s averages don't scare me. I just survived the Santa Ana wind! We had a few days of upper 90s paired with hot wind that had dirt in it. I figure if it happens again we'll be better prepared to handle it. If it doesn't, then good for us! Have you looked at the expected high for next Wednesday??? 102! Guess another Santa Ana is coming. o_O

Yeah, that rehab schedule was tough. All the stuff that was down in DL then the times when multiple remaining big rides would go down, it made the park feel crazy tight. The early hour at DL was such a waste because not that much is operating then add in the refurbs and stuff going down. Ugh.

I do alright in the sun. The boys were burnt bad. Brian was like purple red on his arms, wrists, hands. He'd freak me out getting out of a hot shower because the added red made him look fluorescent! I have no idea why I didn't think of sunblock that first day. After that it was a losing battle trying to keep them buttered up. I don't burn terribly bad like they do. I used to but I've been indoor tanning for so many years I've built up a tolerance. But, dude, hot is hot and it's miserable. I get super cranky. I walk around fighting the urge to slap random people for my discomfort. LOL!

They need more SHADE around the parks. With benches in it. A cruise is a good thing and taking parents to make those memories will be what you remember down the road. Time is so precious. You just can't put a dollar amount to it. After this we really have to push to get the May 2015 Panama Canal paid for. Tracey's folks are joining us and Chandler will graduate on that cruise. :D

PolynesianPrincess

Ok ok here I am. This is my first official post on here!! I had such a blast with you and your family and Tammy of course!!! Can't wait to go back! I'm craving a back side of water as we speak!!

Woah!! There she is! First post!!! Yay!!!

Kelly, If you're going to get rid of Lilly clothes check with Ashley cause she mentioned how much she LOVED your shorts!! :)

I agree with you on the familiar but not familiar feeling. It was the same for us. I think we definitely wasted a lot of time wandering because we didn't know where a lot of stuff was!

It makes sense to stay where you are if you all don't want to move. Moving is such a pain! HOPEFULLY we won't have to move anytime soon. At least until I move away from Maine anyway!
GC is so gorgeous and I think that's going to be our goal to stay there during our Christmas trip. You'll have to give me you thoughts if you do stay there!!!

fractal

Kelly, I find it interesting that you @sweetpee_1993 and Darolyn @derelicte19 enjoyed DCA more than DL. After my visit there a year or so ago I said the same thing, to the degree that I thought DCA may be the best Disney park I've been in.
The open spaces, Carsland, the old Hollywood feel, Soarin', WOC and great eateries makes it a must do park for any Disney fan. Glad to see you are going back to cross off what you missed! Looking forward to the report ( and pics )!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Wow sweetpea-1993....YOU too..?
I booked my next visit within 14 hours of returning home earlier this week.....for around the same time period.

Also have a AP now.

Are you my cloned twin or somethin...? Our brains seem to be alined.

Or is this just a definite sign that the mass exodus of disenchanted ex-WDW vets heading out to DLR is reaching a new level?

Also have no interest in returning to FL anytime immediately soon...and i still have a 4 Day Park Hopper that has yet to be used.
Never dreamed i would become a PassHolder...even after being a 30+ year WDW Vet.
And a PassHolder to the Park(s) on the opposite coast to boot !

Sign of the times, methinks....but change is good.

:)

Oh cool! You're going in the fall, too? Wow! Great minds!

The AP totally makes sense to do especially if you're wanting to be in the parks more than 5 days. The cost of a 5 day + 1 day ticket aren't much less than the deluxe AP. ((We got ours thru way.com which saved some $$)) The discounts with the food & merchandise more than closes that gap. THEN there's the hotel discounts if you're going to stay on-site. Right?!

We've been "disconnected" from WDW for a couple years now. We got into the cruises for a bit then curiosity drew us out west. Transitioning back to the parks was another hurdle in the recent trip. But we got it. It's all good. I see us exploring the west coast parks a few more times but there's also a lot of stuff in California we want to get to. I did notice a LOT of people in the parks sporting their first visit buttons. I didn't because my teenagers gave me the disapproving "Really, Mom? You're going to wear that?" :oops: Guess not.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Woah!! There she is! First post!!! Yay!!!

Kelly, If you're going to get rid of Lilly clothes check with Ashley cause she mentioned how much she LOVED your shorts!! :)

I agree with you on the familiar but not familiar feeling. It was the same for us. I think we definitely wasted a lot of time wandering because we didn't know where a lot of stuff was!

It makes sense to stay where you are if you all don't want to move. Moving is such a pain! HOPEFULLY we won't have to move anytime soon. At least until I move away from Maine anyway!
GC is so gorgeous and I think that's going to be our goal to stay there during our Christmas trip. You'll have to give me you thoughts if you do stay there!!!

I KNOW! Ashley posted!!! Woot!!!

When shopping for Lilly, know what retail is then comb eBay & RueLaLa. ;) I've paid full retail for very little.

I'll let you know what we think of the Grand Californian if we get to stay there. ;)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster

Tracey says, "Oh sure. NOW she asks." It was the best. The backside of water was so yummy...dangerously so!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom