The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

cheezbat

Good luck ... no, way too soon. UNI is looking at acquiring even more land, but there are no guarantees they'll build a third gate (a new water park and multiple hotels are assured). They aren't Disney in the 90s (or now) looking to devour the whole market no matter at what cost ...

I think it is slightly better than 50/50 that it does happen, but it won't be before 2020.

I would not be surprised to see a third gate built in the next ten years...but I'm far more interested in the water park and other hotels/amenities. I've heard the water park is happening, but where and when is what I really want to know. I've also heard that they're looking at forking out upwards of $200 million for it! I think only one or two other water parks have ever been built for that much or more. It should be amazing!

The Empress Lilly

Meh... being way overhyped IMO. The zoo assumed (mistakenly) that people would be interested in the opportunity for the medical exercise. Obviously some people can't handle the truth and they should have just done it in the back like it's always done and just not opened the opportunity.

BTW, my kids have gone and seen a horse autopsied as well as part of a educational experience. A horse that was put down, and the students given the opportunity to learn in ways they otherwise would not have. Same thing here... I think the issue is again Scandinavians being very blunt and direct... which others can't seem to stomach when the topic doesn't conform to their ideals.
The zoo did make a mistake. They should've waited two more years for the giraffe to be fully grown and only then kill, dissect and feed him to the lions.

Oh, and they also shouldn't have skinned him. Let the lions have their way with an intact carcass, hair and all. Much better for them.
Come to think of it, that sounds like an awful waste. They should've used the good parts for human consumption - giraffe meat is rare so fetches a good price.

Giraffes are not endangered and they breed very well in captivity. All too well, and inbreeding is a danger with the small populations in zoos. It is prudent to cull inbreds, and even the weaker specimens to simulate the natural selection of the wild. And if you do kill a giraffe, why let him go to waste? Better to use him for educational purposes. Better also to feed him to the lions instead of burning the giraffe and then killing two cows for them in the name of animal rights.

Silly animal activists. They suffered from 'cute puppy syndrome'. Misdirecting their energy to non-issues simply because it involves a huggable beady-eyed mammal. I say let them do something useful, such as going after SEA and its deceit and abuse.

Longhairbear

The very nature of DVC is to appeal to those who already are predispositioned to return to WDW.

I've been going to WDW for 36 years. DVC did not suddenly make me want to go more than I already intended. DVC simply was the least expensive way to stay at WDW hotels over the long haul.

I can sell any of my DVC memberships for approximately $10-$20/point more than I paid for them, even after deducting 10% commission. I don't know what barrier you're taking about. ;)

Seriously though, the OCC website lists scores of DVC members who jettison their memberships every month by essentially what amounts to mutual agreement between Disney and the former members. There really is no barrier to dumping a membership.

Over the course of my last 24 nights in a DVC room, I've spent 3 days at WDW theme parks and another 3 at WDW water parks. (I still love the water parks.:)) The rest have been spent elsewhere, mostly at Universal where, it seems, they do give a damn about their paying customers.

There's a growing number of DVC members who simply don't go to WDW theme parks any more.

DVC villas have there own kitchens and many members don't eat meals at WDW's grossly overpriced restaurants anymore. DTD now is selling a lot of the same generic merchandise that can be found online for less.

DVC members are spending less and less at WDW, not more and more.

This is a trend that has been growing in the last 5 years. It's why Disney has, for example, offered DVC members deep discounts on its Premium Annual Pass for the last 2 years. Disney recognizes that members are no longer visiting the parks like they used to.

You'd think DVC members would be easy money.

As it turns out, they're not much different than anyone else. When they vacation in Orlando, they go where they think they get the biggest bang for the buck. Right now, it's not at WDW theme parks. Quite the opposite. Their frequent visits means they get bored with the same old same old faster than most.

With WDW's theme parks undergoing few changes in the last 5 years, members are growing bored with Disney and increasingly exploring what else Orlando has to offer.

P.S. Sorry, there's one other thing I wanted to mention.

DVC members are happy with the product, i.e. the WDW hotels, and are in no particular rush to sell. I enjoy staying at AKV even when I visit Universal. :)

However, DVC members are not happy with the parks, nor the price of tickets, food, or merchandise.

My (for example) BWV Maintenance Fee is up an average of 3.2% over the last 3 years. WDW ticket prices are up an average of 7% per year over the same period. WDW food prices are even worse.

Florida timeshare laws keep my annual fees in check. There isn't anything keeping the rest of WDW in check.
I've mentioned it before, it I will state it here again. We have not been to Florida in going on 4 years, we use our points here in California. We have no plans to go to FLA until Universal is more "done". Then we will rent a car for the first time ever, and drive to Universal, and the rest of the sites to see around FLA within driving distance from our DVC.
Car rental agencies should grab the idea of advertising to timeshare owners, and hint at DVC members that renting a car gives more options, and more places to see than the "same 'ol, same 'ol".

Longhairbear

I know ... it truly kills me that I wasn't able to put a group together and buy them. Pan Am may well be dead to most folks, but that BRAND is still known the world over.

Speaking of which, did anyone know that Montgomery Ward still exists as a retailer? I was shocked to get a catalog in the mail yesterday.
An ex flight attendant of Pan Am has put up his collection of Pan Am during Modernism Week here in Palm Springs the last few years. A very popular event as well, not sure he is doing it this year. Uniforms, slide show, movies, place settings, bags, etc. Everything you could imagine, he has a sample of it on display. Plus lots of related advertising, rare records. We happened to be there when another ex flight attendant bumped into her old trainer/ supervisor who was there. Lots of happy tears, and memories.

PeterAlt

Just to let everyone know, my insider (who I don't have direct connect with) has informed that something big is in the works for EC. It is in FW and is related to an unnamed new sponsor. This is separate to whatever is related with Soaring. No timetables were given.

EDIT - I was just told that I got what she said wrong, and was furious when I told her that I posted what I thought I heard her say. When I asked her to repeat what she had said earlier so I could correct this post, she outright refused to. I'm like 99.999999% sure that's what she said and I got it right...

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

And this year they reduced the discount... so.. which way are things really headed? :)
A few years ago, the PAP discount was $100-$125. Right now, it's $245. Disney is simply fishing for the right ticket discount to get DVC members back into the parks.

Last year's $300 PAP discount was popular. That was a 43% ticket discount. When has Disney ever offered a 43% ticket discount? Disney is seeing if they can get away with a smaller discount.

In growing numbers, DVC members simply are becoming bored with WDW. The new "Membership Magic" promotion is Disney's attempt to get DVC members spending back within WDW property by offering unique experiences and extra discounts.

WDW is losing DVC member money to other Orlando attractions, something that would have been unthinkable 5 years ago.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would not be surprised to see a third gate built in the next ten years...but I'm far more interested in the water park and other hotels/amenities. I've heard the water park is happening, but where and when is what I really want to know. I've also heard that they're looking at forking out upwards of $200 million for it! I think only one or two other water parks have ever been built for that much or more. It should be amazing!
Ten years? Doubtful.

5th resort open end of 2015. Then the new land will come into play.

FutureWorld1982

Ten years? Doubtful.

In my opinion, they should start working on the 3rd gate NOW. Just think that from the moment they move the land it might take them 4 or more years before opening. I am sure both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure will be in fantastic shape by then, and additional capacity will be needed. But they need to start acting now.

GLaDOS

In my opinion, they should start working on the 3rd gate NOW. Just think that from the moment they move the land it might take them 4 or more years before opening. I am sure both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure will be in fantastic shape by then, and additional capacity will be needed. But they need to start acting now.

There's still way too much to do at both parks to have a new one open in 2018, using your 4 year time frame.

2015 should be Jurassic Park, more CityWalk changes, and another hotel. 2016 will be Kong. 2017 will most likely be the next USF project. 2018 is a bit far out to judge right now. But along with these known projects are the purchase of new land, whatever is replacing Toon Lagoon, the new water park, and whatever else they decide to spend their Diagon Alley money on.

Point is there is a lot more to do.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The DVC member's webpage is going down on February 11. I wonder if they are doing a system upgrade to address issues like this.

Important Notice: Member Services and Online Booking Tool — Unavailable February 11, 2014

In order to provide you with a smooth booking process, Member Services and the Member Online Booking Tool will be temporarily unavailable to accommodate system updates. View times and dates for this scheduled maintenance:
  • Member Services: Unavailable from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM Eastern Time on February 11, 2014
  • Member Online Booking Tool: Unavailable from 2:00 AM to 11:00 AM Eastern Time on February 11, 2014
Online banking, loans and annual dues payments will be available during this downtime.

All of us at Disney Vacation Club appreciate your understanding as we update our systems, and we look forward to welcoming you "home" again soon.​

THANKS!

Translation - Print out all your DVC stuff TODAY as it will be totally hosed come the 12'th and you will need backup documentation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And my opinion is....what came first the chicken or the egg?
Did Disney stop offering interesting unique pins and lowering the demand? Or did the interest drop and Disney decided that it wasn't interested in investing money in giving us unique merch to purchase?

As far as I can see the former beginning in late 2011 there were far fewer designs to choose from, What I expect happened is Disney took their BEST sellers upped order quantities to reduce unit price and dropped the slower selling pins (ie the ones of most interest to collectors).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Would tying executives compensation to dividend growth rather than stock price change the short term vision to long term?

Possibly, What would probably help more is what my company does most of my 'bonus' compensation is in the form of long term RSU's with 2-5 year maturity. If executive bonus compensation was deferred 3-5 years having a great quarter would be of far less value relative to long term profitability.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A few years ago, the PAP discount was $100-$125. Right now, it's $245. Disney is simply fishing for the right ticket discount to get DVC members back into the parks.

Last year's $300 PAP discount was popular. That was a 43% ticket discount. When has Disney ever offered a 43% ticket discount? Disney's is seeing if they can get away with a smaller discount.

In growing numbers, DVC members are simply becoming bored with WDW. The new "Membership Magic" promotion is Disney's attempt to get DVC members spending back within WDW property by offering unique experiences and extra discounts.

WDW is losing DVC member money to other Orlando attractions, something that would have been unthinkable 5 years ago.

There was far more VALUE offered by the parks and resorts 5 years ago, No surprise there except perhaps to the executives!!!

Ignohippo

Yes, but we don't agree on your underlying hatred of the Muppets (and dislike? of all the other properties) ... Disney has plenty of IP that folks care about (they don't care about Oswald!) and they refuse to utilize it versus putting Captain America on the Disney MAGIC and soon at DL. That is a legit complaint, although one that isn't worth your energy because that is Bob Iger's Disney. But hating on the Muppets and/or trying to convince anyone that there is a giant untapped market that is interested in an obscure character from the 1920s is sorta absurd.

Disney has also used its IP when it makes enough. Look at the PotC franchise ... and watch what happens with Frozen. I guess a film has to make close to a billion dollars before Disney thinks it is worth doing something with.

It's a shame, too. If Phineas and Ferb aren't the perfect example of Disney not knowing what to do with their own IP, I don't know what is. It was (I think it's popularity has diminished greatly due to the struggles of the Disney Channel in the last 6 months or so) arguably the most popular animated tv property since the Simpsons and yet they've done nothing with it. The park presence is a meet & greet at one park.

Imagine if P&F were a Uni property...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom