The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyhead'71

I was going to go to Universal and do a construction photo update and when I got there at 8:50am the line to pay for parking was backed up to the mini golf in one direction and across the I4 bridge in the other. I just went and had breakfast at Hash House a go go instead.

I did get a couple of shots of The Orlando Eye construction.

71jason

I was going to go to Universal and do a construction photo update and when I got there at 8:50am the line to pay for parking was backed up to the mini golf in one direction and across the I4 bridge in the other. I just went and had breakfast at Hash House a go go instead.

I did get a couple of shots of The Orlando Eye construction.

Universal ended up having to extend hours yesterday, was originally supposed to be a 6 pm close (!). Finnegans and pretzel stand lines were on a par with a late October HHN, I peeked inside Richters and every switchback was full. Dispicable Me running at 135 minutes. Yeah, it was a crazy day.

71jason

Stolen from CHUD, who stole from BoxOfficeMojo...

Here's a list of Disney's recent animated films adjusted for inflation (not counting re-releases) for those who want to see how Frozen stacks up against 90s Disney.

All courtesy of BoxOfficeMojo.

The Lion King $600,726,200

Aladdin $422,160,900

Frozen $283,866,000

Beauty and the Beast $281,474,000

Tarzan $271,071,000

Pocahontas $262,003,900

Mulan $207,034,800

Tangled $202,645,700

Lilo & Stitch $202,004,200

Wreck-It Ralph $189,641,400

The Hunchback of Notre Dame $182,379,600

Hercules $173,824,100

The Little Mermaid $165,541,500

Cody5242

I can't find any information anywhere on the internet so I'll ask here, is the Beetlejuice show at Universal closed for good?

GiveMeTheMusic

@71jason the weekend estimates are now in and Frozen is just a bit higher at $297 million to date. Either way, it's officially Disney Feature Animation's biggest hit since Lion King.

And for those wondering, Princess and the Frog ranks well below all those titles at $106,306,500 adjusted.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST TIANA

;)

Animaniac93-98

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST TIANA

;)

WHY DO YOU LOVE CAPS :p

To be fair to the girl, I think she is one of Disney's better Princesses and her movie is not without merit. I like seeing her and her spouse in the parks too. I'm just tired of Disney fans living in this bubble where the movie's a blockbuster masterpiece and hand-drawn animation is back for good (and Iger should be praised for it) despite all evidence to the contrary.

They say admiting the problem is the first step to recovery. ;)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
WHY DO YOU LOVE CAPS :p

To be fair to the girl, I think she is one of Disney's better Princesses and her movie is not without merit. I like seeing her and her spouse in the parks too. I'm just tired of Disney fans living in this bubble where the movie's a blockbuster masterpiece and hand-drawn animation is back for good (and Iger should be praised for it) despite all evidence to the contrary.

They say admiting the problem is the first step to recovery. ;)
And she has the prettiest gown!

71jason

Supposedly in a revised format.

Some new characters, new songs, and 95% new cast. Also, from rumors, sounds like it may have a different "vibe" than the current show, tho hard to really judge something like that until we actually see it.

71jason

And for those wondering, Princess and the Frog ranks well below all those titles at $106,306,500 adjusted.

I was surprised The Little Mermaid is as low as it is, for being so iconic. I was pleasantly surprised the underrated Tarzan finished so high.

With not much competition coming out, a lot of posters on CHUD think Frozen is a lock for $300k easy, maybe $350. Anecdotally, I hear Elsa (tho not so much Anna) merch is flying off the shelves at WDW. So agreed this is a pretty big hit.

BrianLo

@71jason the weekend estimates are now in and Frozen is just a bit higher at $297 million to date. Either way, it's officially Disney Feature Animation's biggest hit since Lion King.

I think the other point worth mentioning is how consistently the movie is still performing. It's in third place behind Titanic and Avatar for its all-time 6th weekend. Blockbusters these days are so front loaded, Disney has something special on their hands here.

It also seems like their recent string of hits have finally returned some power/trust to the WDAS that unravelled in the 2000's. Hopefully Pixar is more immune to the cycles WDAS seems to go through every few decades, but if it has to at least they seem to be out of sync, which helps the company remain stable.

Which leads me to wonder, there must be a lot of internal pressure to speed up development on one of their next musical films. Frozen may well be the "Aladdin" of this cycle.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Anecdotally, I hear Elsa (tho not so much Anna) merch is flying off the shelves at WDW. So agreed this is a pretty big hit.
As a "girl" I can definitely see that little girls would prefer Elsa merchandise. Anna isn't a Princess; she's your big sister, your next door neighbour, your cousin.
Elsa is glamorous. Magical. Mysterious.

Ask any guy (willing to play) "Who'd you Rather?" Ain't no one saying Anna.

Animaniac93-98

I was surprised The Little Mermaid is as low as it is, for being so iconic. I was pleasantly surprised the underrated Tarzan finished so high.

Tarzan was a big hit upon its inital release. The movie generated lots of box office revenue, the songs were on the radio and it was mostly well received by critics. However, with no easy brand box to put the movie in (like the Disney Princesses) the company has not done anything with him in years, leaving people to forget the movie's success.

Mermaid was big in its time..for an animated title. "Cartoons" had not reached the status of blockbusters yet and Mermaid fell on the year's chart in about the same spot as Fox and the Hound did 8 years prior. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Roger Rabbit were much bigger successes at the time. It wasn't until the VHS got released (and Disney merchandise had a chance to catch up) that Mermaid's popularity really took off.

Last edited:

truecoat

Tarzan was a big hit upon its inital release. The movie generated lots of box office revenue, the songs were on the radio and it was mostly well received by critics. However, with no easy brand box to put the movie in (like the Disney Princesses) the company has not done anything with him in years, leaving people to forget the movie's success.

Mermaid was big in its time..for an animated title. "Cartoons" had not reached the status of blockbusters yet and Mermaid fell on the year's chart in about the same spot as Fox and the Hound did 8 years prior. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Roger Rabbit were much bigger successes at the time. It wasn't until the VHS got released (and Disney merchandise had a chance to catch up) that Mermaid's popularity really took off.

The year Mermaid was released, they re-released Peter Pan (55 mil adjusted) and the Rescuers (40 mil adjusted). That's pretty good for re-released movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom