The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlsHouston

I've been saying that for years. I know we differ on the book DisneyWar, but it does give a thorough representation of how toxic and awful the politics and disfunction inside TWDC grew, manifested and thrived. And that was 10 years ago.

This poison culture within management will eventually destroy the company through shortsightedness and pettyness.

The board is a rubber stamp and refuses to exercise any oversight. Tying executive compensation to the stock price was a horrible move and has disuaded any reinvestment in the company.

With MM+/Next Gen, Is anyone really shocked with the failures of the multiple IT contractors? (Heard a rumor that some of the outsourcing was overseas; can anyone confirm or deny it?)

This is the same company that brought you Go.Com and many failed internet ventures.

Well it did kind of feel like the girl at Tech Support was a third worlder and I got no "have a magical day" when the call ended...nor was my issue resolved..

willtravel

I've been saying that for years. I know we differ on the book DisneyWar, but it does give a thorough representation of how toxic and awful the politics and disfunction inside TWDC grew, manifested and thrived. And that was 10 years ago.

This poison culture within management will eventually destroy the company through shortsightedness and pettyness.

The board is a rubber stamp and refuses to exercise any oversight. Tying executive compensation to the stock price was a horrible move and has disuaded any reinvestment in the company.

With MM+/Next Gen, Is anyone really shocked with the failures of the multiple IT contractors? (Heard a rumor that some of the outsourcing was overseas; can anyone confirm or deny it?)

This is the same company that brought you Go.Com and many failed internet ventures.
I agree. But as long as the shareholders are happy........ When does Iger leave and maybe his entourage?

PhilharMagician

Culture of abandonment writ large - Imagination probably costs 3-5K per day to operate the majority being electricity, But shutting it down will 'save' 1.825 Million (5K per day x 365.25). Sounds like someone needs some 'savings' to meet their bonus target. But a Princess Meet-n-Grope probably costs 5-600/day and stick a FP- on it and attraction count remains the same with a 10:1 cost reduction Brilliant - lets replace all the rides and replace with Princess Meet-n-Grope's

A Princess meet and grope does sound all that bad. :eek:

COProgressFan

Wow...
Life keeps me busy for a week or so and I miss so much.....stuff.

Star Wars in Disneyland? I was hoping they wouldn't go that route.
Frozen? Frozen what?
Princesses in World Showcase? Shoulda seen it coming.
MyTragic taking over a chunk of Sid's? I just threw up a little...
Imagination closing? Fine.
But, to save money instead of for a makeover? Somebody needs to be fired.
FP+ tiers? I knew things were only going to get worse.

*sigh* I need a cruise. And a trip to Disneyland.

Really said isn't it? Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse....

wdwfan4ver

Wait, why is Imagination closing?

It boils down 3 things why Imagination is closing based. I last visited Epcot in late August to early September of this year.

1.) I can't speak about Captain EO, but Journey into Imagination with Figment like a ghost town when I entered the attraction. The cast members appeared to be bored out of their minds at the attraction. It is the worst attended attraction by guest at Future World that I went on.

2.) It doesn't make any sense keeping Imagination without any changes from a money standpoint since the attendance is very poor like point 1 mentioned.

3.) TDO/Burbank doesn't want to spend the money right now to redoing the attraction, but has no problems spending over 2 billions dollars on My Nagic plus, and spending even more money on building DVC's.

Shadowgate

@#$%! Closing Imagination without a good revamp? My daughter may never let us go back! She has just recently connected with some of her friend on Figment love and wanting them to give this ride some love.... they hear it is closing for the foreseeable future and they are going to freak! It "was" one of our top 5 things to do in Epcot as it "was" and now they are just going to shutter it? What happened to Iger's promise?

Goofyernmost

I agree. But as long as the shareholders are happy........ When does Iger leave and maybe his entourage?
Here's the story. I have been on these boards since the Eisner days. I was here when there was almost a vigilanty mentality about getting rid of him. The phrase of the day was, "when is Eisner leaving so we can get someone in here that knows what they are doing". Iger was mentioned as his replacement and everyone had a collective tiny orgazism because the savior was coming.

Today you could almost take those post verbatum and just change the name from Eisner to Iger. Only perhaps worse. When Iger leaves it will be of no consquence because whoever replaces him will still be of the same generational mindset as Iger. Eisner, all though seemingly unable to do things properly, at least seemed to care. Iger does not. His circle of management has no in touch reality with the people they are attempting to entertain. What they do see are the financial spread sheets and they are looking good. For every cut in expenses they look better and better. They may have enough forward vision to know that down the road there is disaster looming, but, they also know that by that time they will be retired, living on an island in the Bahama's purchase completely from bonus checks and secretly hope that the place fails so that they can say..."When I was there it was doing well".

Disney parks currently are still on the coattails of a man that has been gone now for almost 50 years. There was only one Walt Disney and, in todays world, I would have to sadly feel that there will not be another like him until his memory has completely faded from all conscienceness. Maybe even after.

For over 30 years now, I have looked at WDW as my haven away from the idiocy of the world around me. Now the world has intigrated with my escape. You have no idea how depressed that makes me feel. I have spent years justifying my love for the place from people that don't understand just how special it was. Now I have very little to say, nor do I even recommend that people go there. It's just not the same place.

doctornick

Here's the story. I have been on these boards since the Eisner days. I was here when there was almost a vigilanty mentality about getting rid of him. The phrase of the day was, "when is Eisner leaving so we can get someone in here that knows what they are doing". Iger was mentioned as his replacement and everyone had a collective tiny orgazism because the savior was coming.

Today you could almost take those post verbatum and just change the name from Eisner to Iger. Only perhaps worse. When Iger leaves it will be of no consquence because whoever replaces him will still be of the same generational mindset as Iger. Eisner, all though seemingly unable to do things properly, at least seemed to care. Iger does not.

Yep. I would be curious to see how eisner would be reacting to the present state of WDW and what Uni is doing. For all his faults, I've got to think that his response would be more akin to "we'll show those Universal folks exactly who runs things in Orlando" and try to wow us in WDW compared to whatever crap Iger is doing.

Wilt Dasney

Not surprised multiple failures are inevitable when you have a weak IT team without the technical depth to oversee all aspects of system development. Disney IT consists largely of project managers but there is no strong internal technical group to perform QA on the contracted work product.
Has anyone made the obligatory "Maybe they could hire some of the ObamaCare site people" joke yet? If not, I'd like to jump on that.

the.dreamfinder

Iger/Rasulo/Staggs/TDO
fordgif.gif

TalkingHead

REALLLLL nice.

https://twitter.com/Jason_Garcia/status/402460611964973056

Friend sent me that. Amazing what I would miss out on by not having these Social Window Into Lives if friends did not have it.

Garcia's tweets about the panel titled "How Walt Disney World Stays on the Leading Edge of the Attractions Business" tell you everything you need to know about WDW these days.

Kalogridis is quoted as saying, "Already, we know that MM+ has the ability to increase guest satisfaction more than just about any single thing we have ever done."

You have Edna from the Incredibles saying about FP+, "The important thing is this will allow you even more time to be spontaneous."

And the presentation evidently went into great detail on Cars Land, although not building attractions like that would appear to be the strategy that has kept WDW on the "Leading Edge of the Attractions Business."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom