BUS DRIVER RUMOR: Disney to start charging for resort buses...

luv

Maybe Disney will use the extra fee to help better the wages of it's cast members....I'm sorry, I couldn't get that out with a straight face.

I kill myself sometimes.
So are you saying that it would be a good idea to charge a buck or two?

Maerj

It would be interesting to say the least. I can see it now... full bus, now with people paying to ride. Then they are told they can't sit down or that they have to squeeze in more so more people can fit in the bus.

Frustrated resort guest would say something like "But wait a minute here, I *just* paid to get on this bus, I deserve a seat! I'm not moving! I'm not squeezing into the back!"

Yeah, that would work out pretty well. Can't see any backlash to that. Nope.

Scooter

I doubt this rumor is true. Having said that I like the idea of checking the wrist bands. too many people are riding buses that shouldn't be. The buses are for resort guests only. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney starts charging a small fee for Magical Express bus service though. It must be costly for Disney to transfer all those people from the airport to the resorts. I actually thought it was a temporary perk to up park atendance. I'm surprised they have offered this servie for this long. I would pay an extra 10/20 dollars for this service. (Pssst...Don't tell Disney execs I said that)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Tonight, I was talking to a Disney Transport driver about the operations side of it all and he brought up the fact that Disney is considering charging a small fee for the use of the resort buses. According to his senior managers, Disney would begin charging anyone over the age of 10, between $1.00 and $0.50, based on there resort. He did tell me that they have no plans to charge for the deluxe resort routes. He also brought up that your MagicBand/RoomKeys would be check prior to boarding all buses on WDW property, besides the park to park buses.
Thoughts?

BTW... This was on a bus from Epcot to Art of Animation tonight...
I have a bridge I can sell you.

PhotoDave219

Tonight, I was talking to a Disney Transport driver about the operations side of it all and he brought up the fact that Disney is considering charging a small fee for the use of the resort buses. According to his senior managers, Disney would begin charging anyone over the age of 10, between $1.00 and $0.50, based on there resort. He did tell me that they have no plans to charge for the deluxe resort routes. He also brought up that your MagicBand/RoomKeys would be check prior to boarding all buses on WDW property, besides the park to park buses.
Thoughts?

BTW... This was on a bus from Epcot to Art of Animation tonight...

Yeah, you're full of it. Or they are.

My transportation people say it will never happen.

It is the only way to get guests to/from the park and keeps guests trapped on property. There is not enough parking at any of the resorts and parks for this to happen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think this is just what the title says...a bus driver rumor. We all know how reliable they are. This makes no sense at all. As someone already said the buses keep people from renting cars which makes it harder to visit the boy Wizard and his friends down the road. Magic bands, DME, DDP, etc... All things designed to keep people on property. Disney seems "all in" on that strategy now so there is no way they change up plans now.

One thing that could happen is they could install a magic band scanner at DTD to ensure only resort guests are using the busses from there to the parks. This assumes that they would actually restart bus service from DTD to the parks which they are testing on a limited basis with AK. The "free" parking problem could be easily resolved with a fenced in bus loading area and a Mickey head scanner.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I believe you, but I think you forgot to read the sign above the bus:

urbanlegends_bus.jpg
Awesome!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think this is just what the title says...a bus driver rumor. We all know how reliable they are. This makes no sense at all. As someone already said the buses keep people from renting cars which makes it harder to visit the boy Wizard and his friends down the road. Magic bands, DME, DDP, etc... All things designed to keep people on property. Disney seems "all in" on that strategy now so there is no way they change up plans now.

One thing that could happen is they could install a magic band scanner at DTD to ensure only resort guests are using the busses from there to the parks. This assumes that they would actually restart bus service from DTD to the parks which they are testing on a limited basis with AK. The "free" parking problem could be easily resolved with a fenced in bus loading area and a Mickey head scanner.

This I CAN see Disney doing, Its reasonable to see them checking to see whether you have a 'resort' entitlement ie is your KTTW card Mouse Arrest Band valid for a resort or does MDE know about a reservation at a resort for you.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you want my opinion, and I'm sure you do, for what they charge at any of the resorts Bob Iger himself should be using his personal car to give everyone a ride to wherever they want to go.
Rooms at the Fairfield Inn in Billings MT were going for $399.00 a night a week ago, and that ain't even a resort town.........I think rates at WDW are reasonable.

Spikerdink

I doubt this rumor is true. Having said that I like the idea of checking the wrist bands. too many people are riding buses that shouldn't be. The buses are for resort guests only. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney starts charging a small fee for Magical Express bus service though. It must be costly for Disney to transfer all those people from the airport to the resorts. I actually thought it was a temporary perk to up park atendance. I'm surprised they have offered this servie for this long. I would pay an extra 10/20 dollars for this service. (Pssst...Don't tell Disney execs I said that)

Years ago, before it became the Magical Express, Mears did charge around $10 to go from airport to Disney....but someone at Disney realized that if they provided it for free and marketed it just riiiiiiiight, more people might take advantage of it and forego renting a car. The more people forego the car, the more people who will eat, shop and stay on property. I am certain the number crunchers laid it all out and said that even though it costs Disney X amount, they are getting back X * Y over the long haul.....

My guess is there is no chance they go back to charging for the Magical Express. Even at $10, a family of 4 might say, 'you know, for another forty we can rent a car and head over to Universal for a day, and maybe eat at that Olive Garden I heard so much about.'

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah lets listen to the all knowing BUS driver. They are a bus driver for a reason, they are not qualified to be TDO

This comment is definitely harsh and uncalled for. Bus drivers are no less qualified to do their job than anyone else on property. In fact, most of them are very skilled and do an excellent job of moving hundreds of thousands of guests around property safely.

The ONLY issue is that they are known for providing guests with false information and for spreading rumors. This is likely the case because they're one of the few roles that offer them a captive audience, and direct contact with guests for long periods of time.

But saying they're too unqualified to have a "real job" at Disney, and thus drive a bus, is quite an inappropriate and incorrect assessment.

luv

The busses are for everyone, not just hotel guests. All guests - hotel guests and day guests - of the Disney resort may use the busses. (Just in case anyone was worried that they couldn't use the busses.)

Disney won't charge for the airport shuttles. They make a lot of money from those free shuttles.

Minnie1976

What about those that spend average money at nicer hotels?
Ohh I do believe this is happening! I hope it does! It will add more appreciation to those of us that spend good money at the nicer hotels :)
So you are saying because I stay at a value hotel my money isn't good? You must be one of those people who think people who stay at value hotels don't deserve an overhang to get out of the sun while waiting for the bus. You think highly of your money. Mine is just a good. You have a rich man's attitude.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So you are saying because I stay at a value hotel my money isn't good? You must be one of those people who think people who stay at value hotels don't deserve an overhang to get out of the sun while waiting for the bus. You think highly of your money. Mine is just a good. You have a rich man's attitude.
So what, pray tell, is wrong with being rich?

Further, if you can't see that my post was a play on words I think you were looking for a reason to take offense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom