Is it possible to avoid characters at Disney?

WED99

I wouldn't miss out on Disney because of it. If you happen to catch a glance at one just look the other way and keep walking. The maps have M&G spots marked on them as well as parade times.

Who knows, maybe you might be able to face your fear? :)

Disney Shib

Most of the characters are in designated areas that you can find on the park maps and avoid. However, there are points during the day where characters are out on Main Street or side corners of each of the lands... You can't miss them because there is usually always a line. Depending on your tolerance level you could just keep your distance?

Hot Lava

Polydweller said:
Interesting post. A complete cut and paste from another board and exactly 1 post on that board and this with the same user name. Hmm, I wonder what that could mean.​
Good catch.​
It set off my BS radar also, but I didn't want to be mean.

real mad hatter

Wow! What a phobia,especially at your age now..I can see little ones scared of this thing,but gobsmacked at your condition..I would try hypnosis to cure you...My worst fear I thought would be Tourette syndrome,but this might just take the biscuit..Hope there's a easy cure..

lunchbox1175

I am very sad for you....however, it should be fairly easy to avoid the characters....first thing being do not get to the magic kingdom or epcot for rope drop, as they are pretty unavoidable then. I have zero interest in parades, so we find it easy to avoid the parades by either having a lunch reservation somewhere, or if at the MK, going to Tomorrowland and riding Space Mountain (usually lower wait time during parades). In the evening for the electrical parade, we often ride BTMRR a few times during the parade. If you are at Epcot, it is really easy to avoid them because they are pretty much in the Character Spot area...pretty much all of the other characters in the parks are actual people not masked characters, so that makes it really easy. Occasionally we have seen a few random characters like Max Goof walking around the international gateway area, but again, if you have someone looking out, you can just avoid that area until they are gone. You will probably love Downtown Disney...and there won't be any characters there. At Hollywood Studios if you avoid the front of the Hat area, you will be able to avoid them pretty easily as well, most of the characters are indoors at either the Disney Junior area, or the meet and greet for Woody and Buzz. Animal Kingdom is also easy to avoid...there is a specific meet and greet area for a few characters...just avoid those and you will be fine. I hope you have a great trip!

Not sure if DeVine would bother you as much as Mickey, since she's more of a costume than a character, but your boyfriend might want to keep an eye out for her in AK so she doesn't startle you. I would also suggest starting the trip with a resorts-only day to ease into the Disney vibe.
Good luck!

AndyS2992

When I go to Disney I avoid the characters as I am not bothered by them and have actually found them difficult to find outside of organised shows and parades so you should be fine. Bare in mind only half the characters are 'masked' all the rest like princesses, Peter Pan, Alice, Aladdin etc are just people wearing clothes that resemble the characters so they look like normal people in fancy clothes lol

joanna71985

It is completely doable. We were just there and we saw hardly any characters and I was looking for them. Our first full day was spent at MK and we saw 1 character the whole day and that was from the TTA. I was really surprised and sort of upset. Good luck to you!:)

Oh believe me, there are many characters out at MK. You just have to know where to look for them

rsoxguy

Interesting post. A complete cut and paste from another board and exactly 1 post on that board and this with the same user name. Hmm, I wonder what that could mean.

Is it possible to avoid bored trolls who start threads on the internet?
Oh, sorry, a question has already been posted on this thread.

Shere_Khan

Interesting post. A complete cut and paste from another board and exactly 1 post on that board and this with the same user name. Hmm, I wonder what that could mean.

I was wondering if this was a joke.
Sounded really outlandish that someone could be that afraid by just seeing a masked character, but then I didn't want to judge if it was really a true fear.

JIMINYCR

I was wondering if this was a joke.
Sounded really outlandish that someone could be that afraid by just seeing a masked character, but then I didn't want to judge if it was really a true fear.
Real or BS ??? Who can really tell ? My son was petrified of clowns for many years. But it made for an interesting read for a while. At least it shows theres lots of us here who care enough to offer help to someone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom