Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

You know why this is done, right? It's because people like yourself question every rumor from trusted sources. The internet community is rabid and they don't understand that things change. If you look at it objectively, Jay Rasulo has a worse track record of information than anyone that's perceived as a trusted insider on here.

My only point is that sources can be wrong.

I want this stuff to be true. I want these expansions to happen.

There's just so much speculation in the past 48 hours, I want people to start saying where they find their information.

lebeau

My only point is that sources can be wrong.

I want this stuff to be true. I want these expansions to happen.

There's just so much speculation in the past 48 hours, I want people to start saying where they find their information.

The rumors are out of control. Non-Disney fans who know I follow this stuff keep telling me how they heard SWLand was announced. My mom said she heard it on the radio a few months ago. My sister told me just today that it's coming in 2018.

doctornick

The rumors are out of control. Non-Disney fans who know I follow this stuff keep telling me how they heard SWLand was announced. My mom said she heard it on the radio a few months ago. My sister told me just today that it's coming in 2018.

I though WDW1974 indicated that these were intentional leaks and that they have served a purpose. I wouldn't be surprised that they were put out there just to create some buzz regarding WDW among some different communities (which are not always reached well by Disney) so they get some extended coverage around a Star Wars land when and if it is officially announced.

Whether or not it is am effective way of doing things, I suspect this is Disney trying to get social media to work for them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I though WDW1974 indicated that these were intentional leaks and that they have served a purpose. I wouldn't be surprised that they were put out there just to create some buzz regarding WDW among some different communities (which are not always reached well by Disney) so they get some extended coverage around a Star Wars land when and if it is officially announced.

Whether or not it is am effective way of doing things, I suspect this is Disney trying to get social media to work for them.
For a company that likes to have 100% control over information dissemination and the associated feedback, I find this a hard pill to swallow.

orky8

Both parks draw in about 10 million guests per year, attendance at WDW is up to record levels. Sure, DHS and even AK have never been full day parks . . . what else is new, but combined they get 20 million guests. Nothing to sneeze at.

10 or 20 million guests who are only there for a few hours and spend relatively no money on food or merch and are only because the extra cost to go from a 3 day park hopper to a 4 day park hopper only costs a few bucks and you get a 5th day free if you shopped around, is something to sneeze at. Turnstyle clicks don't tell you the whole story because of WDW's ticket structure. Indeed, they could even be losing money on the margin while seeing record attendance.

lazyboy97o

Any guesses on what the specialty Cantina beverage will be? Come on...you know it's coming...
What drinks from elsewhere can they rename? Doc's Grape Tonic. And if they do a small Cars Land they'll save on costs by having it in two places at the same park.

Pixiedustmaker

The White House/Congress intentionally leaks stuff to the media because they're being covered in the press and people can vote them out of office . . . I don't there is any reason why Disney would leak bogus rumors, especially if it means a small number of families might delay a vacation if they think StarWarsland is coming soon.

Disney has an official press machine, and they 99% of the time advertise and promote what is there, obviously focused on next quarters results.

I kinda get the point that the Star Wars community sites aren't plugged into Disney news . . . but when StarWarsland opens it will known by 99.9% of fans (except for the guy with a Yoda shirt living in a cave in Australia). Does anybody think there are significant numbers of Potter fans in the U.S. who don't know about Potterland?

IHeartArt

Any guesses on what the specialty Cantina beverage will be? Come on...you know it's coming...
Better be blue milk. Blueberry flavored milk with some food coloring. It is possible to flavor milk this way already, there's some specialty stores that sell it.

mJk81HW.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

Indeed, they could even be losing money on the margin while seeing record attendance.

Believe it or not, Disney's domestic theme park business is doing quite well. And caveats and unusual circumstances aside, more guests by and large equals more money. More tickets, more meals, more hotels rooms occupied:

"Disney's parks and resorts posted operating income of $383 million -- a gain of 73% from a year earlier. Disney said the strong performance was largely due to an increase in business at its domestic properties."

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/07/entertainment/la-et-ct-disney-profit-revenue-soar-20130507

"Last year, the company poured $3 billion into its theme parks, investments that are now paying off better than Pinocchio's wish upon a star. Now, Disney parks are busting at the seams with visitors and well-positioned for what's expected to be one of the busiest summers for theme parks in years. Perhaps most important, attendance is soaring, even as Disney is raising ticket prices and dropping any semblance of discounting."

"Disney is leading the way in what's been a powerful rebound in the fortunes of theme parks. During the recession, visitors dropped off as consumers opted for cheaper putt-putt courses over a day at theme parks. But now, with consumer confidence on the upswing, visitors to theme parks are picking up, as well.
"If this continues, some of these parks will exceed all-time attendance levels this year," says Tuna Amobi of S&P Capital IQ. During the company's conference call announcing first-quarter results, Disney CEO Bob Iger said: "Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort both set new attendance records for the quarter."

"Revenue at Disney's Parks and Resorts unit jumped 14% at the theme parks unit, making Disney one of the few companies going beyond cost-cutting to find the growth that investors are craving. But higher prices, too, helped by pushing operating income up 73% for the segment."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/01/disney-theme-park-stocks/2343753/

Disney invested billions when the economy was sour, when other companies hoarded cash, and perhaps that is fueling the growth. I'm not stupid, I can see that the park segments is doing very well at Disney, rebounding economy, return on investment . . . I personally thought that WDW's attendance/earnings would be a drag, but the evidence points to the opposite.

Not that the news is bad for DHS, per se, as expansion at DHS for more room for guests/increased ride capacity may result as these articles indicate that Disney *grew* its theme park business in terms of new guests. I don't think adding capacity means removing a large number of attractions, though. Especially not since record guests are pouring into the resorts.

The idea of using the current parking lot to add lands, and building a tunnel to the expansion pad west of World Drive and using this for parking, seems like a great idea . . . with that extra space the park could add a lot of stuff.

But you have to question rumors that assume that DHS is just like DCA. Even with BVS, Disney didn't rip out the buildings of Sunshine Plaza . . . they put in new facades for most of them. And they took out some cement planters for the Carthay and built Carsland on a parking lot. Don't see Disney ripping out buildings at DHS at this point in time.

orky8

Believe it or not, Disney's domestic theme park business is doing quite well. And caveats and unusual circumstances aside, more guests by and large equals more money. More tickets, more meals, more hotels rooms occupied:

"Disney's parks and resorts posted operating income of $383 million -- a gain of 73% from a year earlier. Disney said the strong performance was largely due to an increase in business at its domestic properties."

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/07/entertainment/la-et-ct-disney-profit-revenue-soar-20130507

"Last year, the company poured $3 billion into its theme parks, investments that are now paying off better than Pinocchio's wish upon a star. Now, Disney parks are busting at the seams with visitors and well-positioned for what's expected to be one of the busiest summers for theme parks in years. Perhaps most important, attendance is soaring, even as Disney is raising ticket prices and dropping any semblance of discounting."

"Disney is leading the way in what's been a powerful rebound in the fortunes of theme parks. During the recession, visitors dropped off as consumers opted for cheaper putt-putt courses over a day at theme parks. But now, with consumer confidence on the upswing, visitors to theme parks are picking up, as well.
"If this continues, some of these parks will exceed all-time attendance levels this year," says Tuna Amobi of S&P Capital IQ. During the company's conference call announcing first-quarter results, Disney CEO Bob Iger said: "Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort both set new attendance records for the quarter."

"Revenue at Disney's Parks and Resorts unit jumped 14% at the theme parks unit, making Disney one of the few companies going beyond cost-cutting to find the growth that investors are craving. But higher prices, too, helped by pushing operating income up 73% for the segment."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/01/disney-theme-park-stocks/2343753/

Disney invested billions when the economy was sour, when other companies hoarded cash, and perhaps that is fueling the growth. I'm not stupid, I can see that the park segments is doing very well at Disney, rebounding economy, return on investment . . . I personally thought that WDW's attendance/earnings would be a drag, but the evidence points to the opposite.

Not that the news is bad for DHS, per se, as expansion at DHS for more room for guests/increased ride capacity may result as these articles indicate that Disney *grew* its theme park business in terms of new guests. I don't think adding capacity means removing a large number of attractions, though. Especially not since record guests are pouring into the resorts.

The idea of using the current parking lot to add lands, and building a tunnel to the expansion pad west of World Drive and using this for parking, seems like a great idea . . . with that extra space the park could add a lot of stuff.

But you have to question rumors that assume that DHS is just like DCA. Even with BVS, Disney didn't rip out the buildings of Sunshine Plaza . . . they put in new facades for most of them. And they took out some cement planters for the Carthay and built Carsland on a parking lot. Don't see Disney ripping out buildings at DHS at this point in time.

P&R's numbers are irrelevant to the discussion of whether DHS is profitable or floundering. If people click through to DHS on their 5th and free day of a parkhopper, stay two hours, and spend no money, then DHS is having real problems. Problems that will never show up in the public statements because Disney only reports P&R as a whole and P&R is setting records largely because of DLR and the fact that the masses will always be drawn to MK (not to mention the cruise ships, which are also included in this).

Pixiedustmaker

Agreed.

Disney only relatively recently bought StarWars, they were sensitive/secret negotiations, hence WDI probably wasn't working full steam on a StarWarsland. For one thing, they hadn't yet decided which direction to take the new trilogy, which would probably have an impact on StarWarsland if, say, they decide to visit Tatooine again in the new films, then it would make more sense to do a Tatooine area.

I think that the Carsland rumors for DHS were bogus, pre-StarWars, as Carsland can get super hot in the summer in Anaheim, imagine what it would be like in Orlando. Hopefully, they'd put in trees, but it also seems more likely that if Carsland came to WDW, it would on an empty lot, not reconstructive surgery. Carsland construction at DCA didn't disrupt the guests that much as it was pretty much built on a backstage area.

Enter StarWars and I think the rumor mill had a heart attack, and with fans saying they want Star Wars as much, or more, than Carsland, then the rumor mill decided to bundle all of these rumors all together, rather than backtrack and say that Carsland at DHS was bogus to begin with . . .

If they add a Cantina restaurant in DHS . . . I wouldn't call that a StarWarsland at all.

Pixiedustmaker

P&R's numbers are irrelevant to the discussion of whether DHS is profitable or floundering. If people click through to DHS on their 5th and free day of a parkhopper, stay two hours, and spend no money, then DHS is having real problems. Problems that will never show up in the public statements because Disney only reports P&R as a whole and P&R is setting records largely because of DLR and the fact that the masses will always be drawn to MK (not to mention the cruise ships, which are also included in this).

It's a pretty amazing claim that DHS is a failure with 10 million guests a year, and with attendance up 2%, and with WDW doing record business. Iger mentioned that the domestic parks were doing well, and attendance is up. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that DHS is in trouble, all the evidence is to the contrary.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's a pretty amazing claim that DHS is a failure with 10 million guests a year, and with attendance up 2%, and with WDW doing record business. Iger mentioned that the domestic parks were doing well, and attendance is up. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that DHS is in trouble, all the evidence is to the contrary.
Depends on what you call in trouble. TDO have acknowledged intenally that the park needs help for at least 4 years now.

And lets not talk about unsuitable hotel ground or tunnels under World Drive.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Depends on what you call in trouble. TDO have acknowledged intenally that the park needs help for at least 4 years now.

And lets not talk about unsuitable hotel ground or tunnels under World Drive.
It would be easier to move World Drive than to build a tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom