Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsiev1977

I worked with this woman (i wouldnt call her a lady) ....She took her Dead grandfathers parking permit and used it to park her car in the handicapped parking spaces EVERYWHERE she went.

Movies, grocery store and even work.....Problem was Nobody at work liked her and someone wound up calling the police on her and they Wrote this girl A BOOK of tickets that cost her a small fourtune.

She had the nerve to question people trying to figure out who called.....
If I had been the one who called in on her, I'd have been quite happy to tell her to her face.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
nope, against the law under ADA
I actually do not think it is. @fosse76 will know the details. Even if it was illegal I do not think it would apply to what this company is doing as they are not denying access to anything. They are providing an extra service for a fee. They do not have to take your money if they do not want to.

scpergj

My husband tore all the ligaments in his right leg paying sports in high school. 99% of the time he is fine but about once a year he has an issue. We spent the day in Central park a couple weeks ago and he was carrying the stroller down to the subway and he felt something pop in his leg. The next day he couldn't put any weight on his leg. He looks like a normal healthy mid 30s guy but there would be no way he could make it through the parks if this happened on a trip. I could imagine the horrible looks he would get if he had to use a scooter or get a GAC for the day.

This I definitely understand.

I used to have some pretty bad back problems - not as much any longer, with therapy and loosing 30 pounds. I also have a knee that I blew out the MCL and ACL while skiing about 20 years ago that occasionally gives me problems. We were in the Magic Kingdom a few years ago, and were standing on the rope near Pecos Bills for the Electrical Parade. We'd been standing there (if I sat down, there is NO WAY i'd have easily been able to get up and walk back to the front of the park) for about an hour before the parade...not sitting there, standing the entire time. There were a bunch of people sitting behind us, and when the parade got to where we were, they started yelling at me to sit down...then screaming at me to sit. I turned around and told them I was unable to sit in the ground, I had to stand. They tried to get a CM to help them move me, but were told I could stand...and if they couldn't see, they could move or stand.

ddbowdoin

I actually do not think it is. @fosse76 will know the details. Even if it was illegal I do not think it would apply to what this company is doing as they are not denying access to anything. They are providing an extra service for a fee. They do not have to take your money if they do not want to.

I was referring to Disney and their ability to ask to see proof of disability in terms of receiving a GAC card. I thought that was against the law under the ADA.

Todd L

why... why can't people discuss an issue with becoming so emotional, illogical, and easily offended.

It's maddening every time someone brings up a valid point and it turns into "do you know my kid has ______ or ______ " and yet you choose to bring them to one of the busiest and most stimulating environments in the US.

My son is well behaved and youd never know he had adhd unless you tried sitting down with him to do homework...He has no issues be patient and is a little impulsive like most 7 year olds.

I am guilty as hell of being oversensitive about his adhd and I apologize for the over reaction.

I know that you meant no offense and I apologize.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was referring to Disney and their ability to ask to see proof of disability in terms of receiving a GAC card. I thought that was against the law under the ADA.
I do not think it is against the law for Disney to ask, but I am far from what would be considered an expert.

stevehousse

They should use those dumbo pagers all over the parks for ADA / disability passes and make them wait the normal wait and be pages when their turn is up! I think that is the most simplistic ad efficient way to run those passes...all problems solved! I don't know why they haven't done it yet?

EmmabaRose

why... why can't people discuss an issue with becoming so emotional, illogical, and easily offended.

It's maddening every time someone brings up a valid point and it turns into "do you know my kid has ______ or ______ " and yet you choose to bring them to one of the busiest and most stimulating environments in the US.

Because its a subject every close to home for many people. A lot of people here just want to stand up for their loved one. I think being able to be that logical is good to a point, but some empathy is required to balance that.

And why shouldn't these parents be allowed to bring their children to WDW? It's their choice. I don't see how that would affect you in any way.

Todd L

My husband tore all the ligaments in his right leg paying sports in high school. 99% of the time he is fine but about once a year he has an issue. We spent the day in Central park a couple weeks ago and he was carrying the stroller down to the subway and he felt something pop in his leg. The next day he couldn't put any weight on his leg. He looks like a normal healthy mid 30s guy but there would be no way he could make it through the parks if this happened on a trip. I could imagine the horrible looks he would get if he had to use a scooter or get a GAC for the day.

Thats the real heart of the issue...People who REALLY benifit and need the Gac are automatically suspect .

Its the 10% rule...10% of the people in the world cant behave and It screws the rest of us.

This is why...You cant buy a beer at a concert...some Moron drank 15 and picked a fight with a Cop 5 years ago and now you cant have one.

ddbowdoin

My son is well behaved and youd never know he had adhd unless you tried sitting down with him to do homework...He has no issues be patient and is a little impulsive like most 7 year olds.

I am guilty as hell of being oversensitive about his adhd and I apologize for the over reaction.

I know that you meant no offense and I apologize.

No problem, it's a common theme around here.

I think a lot of people see the Disney experience as some sort of right, the "every kid deserves the disney experience" but my wife works with children with learning disabilities, has a masters in all that stuff, and well... way beyond my comprehension and every trip down to Disney she'll start pointing out children that are having a tough time at the parks and you have to ask, is it good parenting? Disney is the type of place that challenges your senses, there are a lot of sounds, effects, colors that may not seem much to a normal, healthy person but are too much for a child who suffers from certain levels of the autism spectrum.

Yankee Mouse

They should use those dumbo pagers all over the parks for ADA / disability passes and make them wait the normal wait and be pages when their turn is up! I think that is the most simplistic ad efficient way to run those passes...all problems solved! I don't know why they haven't done it yet?

First of all I don't think it is necessary. As far as wheelchairs go, new queues are being built to be able to accommodate them and redesigned queues, which in the past couldn't now can, think of PoTC or HM. Both used to be setup so that a wheelchair wouldn't fit, but have since been changed and now instead of skipping the line you have to wait. Also in some cases people may have to wait longer than regular standby, think about situations like JC, IASW, SE, people in wheelchairs may have to wait for a wheelchair capable boat or ride vehicle. They also wont' stop the belt that often so if you are waiting at an onimover attraction and waiting for them to stop it for you you might be waiting a while. These situations only involve a wheelchair/scooter, I can't speak to the GAC front of the line issue since I have no experience with those.

Second, if you did the pager idea then people would be complaining that someone could go see a show, eat lunch, ride other rides instead of waiting in the same line that "able bodied" people had to wait in. Just like people complain now about how those in wheelchairs skip to the front of the line.

Can't win either way

Violet

Thats what other parks do...

Todd L

No problem, it's a common theme around here.

I think a lot of people see the Disney experience as some sort of right, the "every kid deserves the disney experience" but my wife works with children with learning disabilities, has a masters in all that stuff, and well... way beyond my comprehension and every trip down to Disney she'll start pointing out children that are having a tough time at the parks and you have to ask, is it good parenting? Disney is the type of place that challenges your senses, there are a lot of sounds, effects, colors that may not seem much to a normal, healthy person but are too much for a child who suffers from certain levels of the autism spectrum.

Thanks for being gracious enough to accept my apology!!

I have a close friend with Two Kids who fall into the spectrum and he cant take them to a Movie, bowling, sports event or concert..Its Just too much for them to deal with and they both have boudry issues with people getting too close to them so Disney is Just not an option.

You wanna see kids having a hard time head over to Magic Kingdom around 7:30 p.m. and watch the parade of kids freaking out cause the Parents push way too hard and the poor 4 year old just want to sleep and eat!!

ddbowdoin

Thanks for being gracious enough to accept my apology!!

I have a close friend with Two Kids who fall into the spectrum and he cant take them to a Movie, bowling, sports event or concert..Its Just too much for them to deal with and they both have issues with people getting too close to them to so Disney is Just not an option.

You wanna see kids having a hard time head over to Magic Kingdom around 7:30 p.m. and watch the parade of kids freaking out cause the Parents push way too hard and the poor 4 year old just want to sleep and eat!!

oh yeah, I completely agree...

I see it every time, it's almost as if at that point the vacation crosses from your childs into your own. I assume parents say "I just spent X amount of dollars so I'm experiencing this".

We have a family friend who is a DVC owner and ever since they had kids they still have fun, they just alter their expectations. If you have a 5 year old don't expect park open to close, expect to wake up later, expect to have to come back to the resort earlier, expect different dining experiences because of a limited kids menu or its not the right type of environment to bring a small child into.

It's all about how you plan and what is a reasonable expectation.

I_heart_Tigger

The easiest way to spot a faker using a GAC is that they will complain if they are not getting to the front of the lines or the best seats in the house. Anyone that actually needs a GAC would happily give it up to be able to stand in line up for 2 hours.

I know my mother dreads the day that she will need one. Her health issues may allow one more trip where she is able to walk the parks all day and stand in line and she will relish every moment of it.

EmmabaRose

Thats the real heart of the issue...People who REALLY benifit and need the Gac are automatically suspect .

Its the 10% rule...10% of the people in the world cant behave and It screws the rest of us.

This is why...You cant buy a beer at a concert...some Moron drank 15 and picked a fight with a Cop 5 years ago and now you cant have one.

This.

My fiancé is going to need a GAC next week, and i am actually frightened of using it in case we are judged as gaming the system. We are not. My fiancé has a condition he was born with which requires a lot of medication, and one of those has a side effect which makes him extremely sensitive to sunlight (he calls it being allergic to the sun), to the point where too much exposure can make him really ill. To the point where last year on a trip with his friend, he collapsed in the middle of MK and was in a wheelchair for the rest of the day.

So this year we will be using the GAC. We talked about it and I suggested we see how he does at first, but he insisted he would feel more comfortable having it. We will only use it where much of the queue is outside and uncovered, and even then only when it is very busy. In this case we are more than happy to wait in a shaded area for the designated time. We do not want a front of the line pass, at all. We just want to make sure that he is not ill. But by appearance, you would never know he had any kind of condition, or even an inkling of the fact that has to take a minimum of 5 pills a day to keep his body in order.

It has taken a long time to accept that he will have to use one, honestly, because I am so afraid of people misjudging our motives. But at the end of the day, he is the one that will be ill without it, so it is his choice. And I will stand by him. I just have to keep remember ing that it doesn't matter what others think, because we know that we have a legit reason to have one, and have nothing to apologise for.

jharvey

IS YOUR CHILD ADHD???????? Mine is and I find your comments offensive....We have NEVER used His Adhd to get a Gac card and never will....we'll leave them so Others can Lie about their childrens conditions and save a few minutes .....PATHETIC!!
I grew up with a kid sister witg adhd. Our school district is dancing around that topic with my middle kid. I gotta say, you need to lighten up or develop thicker skin. If i snapped evertime someone on this board commented on that i fit under: fat, southern, stroller pusher, 6'5 with a 5 year old on my shoulder, etc, i would be...... Pathetic

copcarguyp71

Easily one of the best nuggets of wisdom to come out of this thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom