Bob Iger in HS

Disneyhead'71

You are all relentless haha, now I'm sorry I tried to defend one of my main sources of Orlando theme park news. But that's fine, I understand why some of you would be upset with him and other Disney bloggers, getting our hopes up like they did.
I suggest WDWMAGIC and Orlando United.

Disneyhead'71

The immediateness of social media, correct or incorrect, has really changed the face of reporting the news. And legitimate media outlets are having a migraine as to how to deal with it. My station has taken a sit back and confirm approach. But few in the market are doing it. WFTV and WESH run with it. We are cable only and have the luxury of not being the "it bleeds, it leads" station. But we are a 24/7 local station so even if we wait, we usually beat the others to the punch because we don't have to wait for 6PM to roll around. But Social Media is really throwing a monkey wrench into the works of "legitimate" media.

MattM

The immediateness of social media, correct or incorrect, has really changed the face of reporting the news. And legitimate media outlets are having a migraine as to how to deal with it. My station has taken a sit back and confirm approach. But few in the market are doing it. WFTV and WESH run with it. We are cable only and have the luxury of not being the "it bleeds, it leads" station. But we are a 24/7 local station so even if we wait, we usually beat the others to the punch because we don't have to wait for 6PM to roll around. But Social Media is really throwing a monkey wrench into the works of "legitimate" media.

You mean WFTV "Our cameras were the only ones there" Channel 9? It gets very tiresome with them reminding us about being first, or we told you about this first 2 weeks ago, yada yada yada...its becoming unwatchable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Have you ever seen the newsroom on HBO? Wanted to get an opinion on the show from someone in the industry. I think it's a decent show and tackles some of those issues.

Clever Name

You could have said the same thing about the invention of the telegraph, telephone and cell phone. The advent of social media hasn't changed news reporting. The people working in the news media that swallow the social media bait and become hooked are in jeopardy of losing their credibility. News media trust is earned over time and it can be lost in an instant.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You could have said the same thing about the invention of the telegraph, telephone and cell phone. The advent of social media hasn't changed news reporting. The people working in the news media that swallow the social media bait and become hooked are in jeopardy of losing their credibility. News media trust is earned over time and it can be lost in an instant.
The news media in general has lost its way. When it started standing in the rain to report a hurricane, it became sensationalized. It's main purpose is to relay facts. It should not be competing with social media. It should be far and separate from social media by reporting verified facts, and not those tweeted.

Disneyhead'71

Apparently you guys don't understand the competitiveness of news. Everyone wants to be the first. But with the immediateness of social media and the veracity of the information it has become a very difficult to be first and correct. This thread is the definition of the problem. How is legitimate media going to be first and correct when the twitterverse is exploding with false/incorrect AND factual information?

Everyone expects legitimate sources to be correct and they log on 20 seconds after they read **** on twitter.

PhotoDave219

Apparently you guys don't understand the competitiveness of news. Everyone wants to be the first. But with the immediateness of social media and the veracity of the information it has become a very difficult to be first and correct. This thread is the definition of the problem. How is legitimate media going to be first and correct when the twitterverse is exploding with false/incorrect AND factual information?

Everyone expects legitimate sources to be correct and they log on 20 seconds after they read **** on twitter.

Considering I do the news for a living, I'll take being correct over being first EVERY TIME.

PhotoDave219

You are all relentless haha, now I'm sorry I tried to defend one of my main sources of Orlando theme park news. But that's fine, I understand why some of you would be upset with him and other Disney bloggers, getting our hopes up like they did.

Oh there's so many more sources. I'm gonna recommend following @TouringPlans in addition to @wdwmagic. They're usually dead on. The Daily Disney (from the Orlando Sentinel) is usually spot on but 3 days behind. I put things out there when I'm in the parks. (but I'm also a vulgar baseball fan so you really shouldnt follow me)

Rickey is rather inaccurate in his reporting. Take him with a grain of salt.

RSoxNo1

Being first is nowhere near as important as it was years ago. The moves so fast now that nobody cares who had it first, they just want to know the next piece of information and where that's coming from.

PhotoDave219

Can you say John King?

Are you planning on being in Sanford around June 10th? If so we should chat.

I do. (gotta double check with an editor) Hell, I camped out behind that courthouse last year on the overnight when youre sitting in a lawn chair for 12 hours in florida, always volunteer for the night shift.)

If i recall, youre in the same business too.

And yeah, John King went with bad sources. Not his fault but he should have waited to get confirmation on something that big. When you have a big story, sometimes you have to sit on make-or-break information.

Captain Chaos

Being first is nowhere near as important as it was years ago. The moves so fast now that nobody cares who had it first, they just want to know the next piece of information and where that's coming from.
Which leads idiots like Rickey Brigante to post nonsense without vetting the information... If social media whores want to be taken serious, vet the information before running with it... Unless Twitter followers and website hits matter more... Which, to social media whores and Disney nut jobs, it does...

PhotoDave219

On this? I had one of my best sources repeat these rumors but I saw no indications of it happening - No TV trucks outside, nothing that indicated an imminent press announcement or TFO (The Flanneled One) being at DHS. Media relations would have been involved in some way and photographers would have been around.

So while yes, some of my best sources were saying it was happening they were just echoing what everyone else was saying.... So i said nothing on this. Echo chamber and stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom