Why do you stay off site?

Figgy1

Premium Member
We stay at one of the vacation condos 5 minutes away from. At the condo we have 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen, dining room, living room, washer/dryer, and a pool. we pull up to the front door. I have never been too fond of waiting 20 minutes to ride on a city bus. I'm not knocking disney transportation at all, but after being at the park all day I don't mind the drive back in peace and quiet. That is as long as the kids are worn out and sleeping.
Welcome and that's what I'm doing for my next trip! If saving a ton and my boys are commandos open to close so I don't see the resort anyway!

pumpkin7

We stay offsite because of the costs mainly. But also because we don't drive and can't easily get off the Disney site to go to I Drive and Universal and the like.

Jim Chandler

I hear everyone say it is money. I wonder how many drive their car into Disney and park since that costs I think $14 now per day. If you are a FL resident the AP means you don't pay that and you get in less expensive than a 5 day pass. You also have the Disney Dining plan which does make things less expensive for a family Yes it is money but you need to weigh all the costs not just the room. BTW if the room is just a place to sleep then a value resort is probably the best. However if you actually wish to make some of your own meals you need to get a place that has a full kitchen. Just weigh all costs not just room versus room.

SAV

You also have the Disney Dining plan which does make things less expensive for a family

This is not true for the Quick Service Dining Plan unless you get "Free Dining". We tallied up each and every receipt from our last trip and there was no savings at all. The only "advantage" to the DDP is that it is paid up front and you don't have to "worry" about having anything on hand. And we were eating food to eat it because we had "paid for it" and didn't want to waste the money.

Jim Chandler

This is not true for the Quick Service Dining Plan unless you get "Free Dining". We tallied up each and every receipt from our last trip and there was no savings at all. The only "advantage" to the DDP is that it is paid up front and you don't have to "worry" about having anything on hand. And we were eating food to eat it because we had "paid for it" and didn't want to waste the money.

So you did what I said weigh all the costs and make a decision. BTW I have a feeling you may have purchased the wrong plan if you were eating just to not lose money. You do know they have several different plans. Over 7 days you have 21 meals......So if you wish to eat at a place outside of he park or at the hotel you get the quick service plan which is 18 quick service meals/snacks or the Deluxe which is 18 meals. Just saying you must weigh ALL the options. Sounds like you may have over purchased on the dining plan. If you are there for a shorter time the plans may not work for you.

SAV

BTW I have a feeling you may have purchased the wrong plan if you were eating just to not lose money. You do know they have several different plans.

I have a feeling that you are just plain wrong. I do know there are several levels of plan and am well informed about them. The Quick Service plan, like we got on the trip prior to that, is the lowest level we can purchase and that is what we went with.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that your statement that the DDP makes things less expensive is false. It doesn't in all cases. I have the receipts and totals to prove that.

TamaraQT

Wow...this always seems to be a topic of debate. One way is NOT BETTER than the other. It's just a matter of convenience and personal preference. For me and my family we choose to stay off-site because we call our vacation an Orlando Vacation and NOT a Disney Vacation. Some people go for DISNEY ONLY and for those, they usually stay onsite if its an option available to them. Our Orlando vacation is 10 days long. Disney only gets 3 to 5 days of our vacation time. The other days are spent enjoying the sights, sounds, dining and entertainment in Orlando and surrounding area. I don't think my way of spending time offsite is better than those that prefer onsite. I think it's what works best for my family.

Padraig

I do love the location of the Beach Club, I love the overall look and feel of it. Hate the price, hate the wear in the rooms, I especially hate the paper thin walls. With the prices Disney are charging they need to severely up their game for the standard of their "deluxe" range. But I do love BC location to (despite the lack of love it's received) World show case. I'd happily pay what their asking if the product reflected it, but as it stands I refuse to be gouged when I can get the Waldorf Astoria at a much better price - better service too.

~Tinkerbell~

When I last went to Florida in 2009, my family and I decided to stay offsite in a villa for the first time. The previous times we'd been we'd stayed in a Disney hotel and the main focus of our holiday was WDW. However, in 2009 we went for 3 weeks and decided to see more of Orlando and the surrounding area and generally have a more laid back holiday. Staying offsite, renting a car, having all the facilities of a villa (kitchen/ laundry/ pool) suited the needs of that holiday better. Both ways were enjoyable and neither better than the other. I think it just depends on what kind of holiday you go for :)

JEANYLASER

We stay at one of the vacation condos 5 minutes away from. At the condo we have 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen, dining room, living room, washer/dryer, and a pool. we pull up to the front door. I have never been too fond of waiting 20 minutes to ride on a city bus. I'm not knocking disney transportation at all, but after being at the park all day I don't mind the drive back in peace and quiet. That is as long as the kids are worn out and sleeping.

You must stay in the World Quest Orlando Resort here is the website of World Quest Orlando Resort it's www.Worldquestorlando.com they have some info!

BiffyClyro

It's so much cheaper/ better value for money! We do however use a car and go other places apart from Disney.

Personally, we found that you could get gorgeous condos and better facility hotels than you would at staying at a Disney hotel. We found Disney to be really basic.

It all depends on preference i suppose. I get why people want to stay at Disney because of the atmosphere and convenience of the parks etc., i personally like to see other things than just Disney and would rather stay in a condo.

ElectricPiilot

We stayed at the Hyatt's Grand Cypress not too far from the Disney property. I believe the reason we stayed there was for the luxury, and the fact that it'd probably be quieter... I'll say that I loved the view, and I loved the pool and recreation.

StarWarsGirl

I'll give an opposite opinion here...why we do not stay off site.

With my family
1. DVC members
2. We like staying at a resort within walking distance of the park, hence why we own at BWV and BCV
3. With Magical Express and park transportation, we save money on a rental car

I'm going on my first solo trip with a friend in January. We are staying onsite because
1. I have an AP, I can get a discount on the room
2. We're both too young to rent a car
3. Having Magical express and the bus service makes our parents feel better
4. We're probably going to get a dining plan. Both of us need the downtime of a meal each day. That, and I wanted to take her to some expensive options like BOG and Teppan Edo

wdisneyw2000

i look at it this way this Aug will be my 7th time & i stayed off property 1 time. does that make me a bad person ? no. Does it make you a bad person nope, not at all. All that is posted here in my opinion , because i couldn't resist i'm opinionated.:D. It's all imformational stuff & opinions from you all that would possibly help me, or the next person planning their trip or next trip down the road. I stay on property cause i like it there & it's my preference. You stay off cause it's yours, & we both have our reasons. But it does not change your life or mine by where you stay or where i stay right? i hope not :pHa Ha. If your going to do other Orlando stuff so be it, as long as it works for you & my choices work for me. You have a great time hopefully & i have a great time as well. Kuddos to both of us & awesome. Have a safe trip & a great time no matter where you stay as long as your happy, & you make it safely there & home.

Pixie Duster Mom

We're a large family and don't "fit" into a Disney room. So, yes, it comes down to the money, but it's also the space and convenience. When we go, we usually go for 2 weeks, that's a long time for a family to be in a "room". We "own" at Vistana Village, which gives us a full condo - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, and "free" washer/dryer. PLUS, all the resort amenities (pools, mini-golf, tennis, shuffleboard, etc.). We usually eat (most) of our meals in, but splurge for our "special" meals. To receive the same level of luxury, we would probably be at a deluxe resort, but would need two rooms and have the added expense of eating all of our meals "out." So, yes, it's money... but it's also the "quality" of our homebase.

jencor

We have stayed on and off site and we actually enjoy offsite more. We have never gone at a time where the dining plan was offered for free, so that was not a choice. To say we save money by staying on property is not true. Yes we pay for parking, but the rooms are nicer and a lot, lot less expensive. We drive so we have our own vehicle and we go and do the other parks also. Because we go at a time not real busy, we get back to the hotel fast and at times faster then if we take their bus system. Also we save a lot of money by eating off Disney when we want. It becomes my schedule and my plan and I am in control. If money was not a problem, yes I might stay on Disney more often, but this way we can come down more often. It really is whatever works for you.

danstpeter

I have stayed both on and off. On does have "advantages", you get the benefit of more total immersion for certain. I could go out and drink all night and get a boat ride home for free, for one example. I would consider staying onsite for a shorter trip, although offsite is still way more than $20 cheaper. This time coming up is going to be more exploratory and lengthy. We are arriving Nov 2 and staying about 6 months. We plan on using the bus public system, LYNX, with monthly passes that will cost us between $50 and $75 dollars/month for the both of us (another story). We are as close, if not closer to the entrance gate as MK is and get dropped off right by MK at the TTC. Pretty direct. This will be paid for by the savings by the first three days of the month comparing what we will pay for our room with kitchenette and the the "value" resorts. This will increase my cars value with a lower mileage sitting at home, too.

Every once in a while we will rent a car to drive to some more distant location to look at moving to during the 6 months and the coming winters (the exploration part). You can rent a car cheap if you can be flexible and pick the car based on needs and not ego satisfaction and the "illusion" of safeness.

We hope to find a good deal for our needs in the future, so we opted for a cheaper place right now (but still a ways from the cheapest) we will explore more.

I know, based on the posts I have been reading on the subject, that for many this may make me now one of "those" from some viewpoints, but I have spent much of my life as one of the "Them that got" (Ray Charles reference) and I have to admit that being a "those" isn't as disgusting as the "them" figure, and being "them" isn't as great as it seems. Turns out luxury is more of a complicated mental state than anything else. I wish everyone has and finds even more luxury in their life. I love reading these posts, to enhance the thought of going soon and for the real thoughts, advice, and experiences they share.

G8rchamps

I think it all about what is of value to you and what type of trip you plan. Though we usually stay on - we are going for the weekend in 2 weeks and staying off for 90/night since the values were more like 130 when we booked (in fact I may check again just in case the values are not full). Then Labor day weekend we are staying on for 78 average/night (AP rate).
*Parking - Buying AP when we go so parking will be free.
*Disney transportation - Went in June (on property) and took 16 bus trips from resort to attractions/DTD and had 2 bad trips. Bad wait for TL bus and late enough in the day we had to sit through stops at DTD which made for a long ride..and WE GOT LEFT at BB in the rain for over an hour- the bus controller guy actually stuck us Anamation folks on a Saratoga bus just to get us home.
*Sometimes I just need to eat food that Disney did not prepare.
*Adult beverage prices on property are obscene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom