Why do you stay off site?

TamaraQT

This past July I had the opportunity to stay on-site for the first time. Myself, DH, and DD7. We stayed at AoA for 3 days and 3 nights. We also had the Dining Plan for counter service and table service meals and a snack. I was so thrilled to get to try onsite and make a comparison. Well when we first arrived we thought of all the conveniences on-site had to offer so we thought we wouldn't miss being off-site. Well the first night, after a thrilling day at Disney, DD7 was tired so we headed back to the room for the night. Well our patience grew thin very quickly when we realized using Disney transportation wasn't what we expected. We rented a car but didn't use it the first night since transportation was supposed to be a "perk" at Disney. Well, strike one, boy did we regret having to wait 20 minutes for a bus, and then had to endure a 20 minute ride. My DH quickly reminded me that if we had the rental car we would be back at the resort by now and already in the room. I ignored him and tried to keep an open mind. But I knew he was right. We were dropped off at the front of AoA, and our room was in the little mermaid section in the back of the resort. And that was a hike!!! All and all it took us a little over an hour total to wait for bus, get to resort, then walk back to room. Once back at room, we had to shower and go to bed. Well we hit strike 2 by having one bathroom which was not convenient at all. We are used to off-site 2 or 3 bedroom condos that provide at least 2 bathrooms. So that was another strike against on-site for us. Then came bedtime. Usually in a condo we put DD to bed and DH and I can enjoy a glass of wine, or drinks on the balcon. We can watch TV or spend quality time together while DD sleeps. Well there was no balcony and no separate bedroom, so strike 3. We endured the first night. The next day we took our rental car to each park. No more disney transportation for us. Not conveniennt in our opinion. We enjoyed the food at each restaurant, but we noticed how we had to cut our plans short each day to keep from being late for dining reservations. We wanted to go back to hotel and freshen up for dinner. If we had to wait for disney transportation, we would have spent more time on buses than in parks. But still, we agreed that dining reservations were good for some restaurants, but not good for everyday. It didn't work for us. It cut into our time spent on attractions. We didn't enjoy having to watch the clock so we wouldn't be late for dinner. Took some of our fun away. So we were glad to have tried the onsite experience. We both agree it does not work for us. After our stay at AoA we checked into our timeshare for 1 week. What a huge difference. We still had another park day left on our tickets so we only had to pay for parking. But the convenience to not have to wait for buses, or rush thru things to make it on time for dining reservations was worth the parking fee alone. So I think off-site is the way to go for my family. In fact, after our experience, it has been confirmed!!!

NiarrNDisney

Here is what I'm getting when i come down ... 3 bedroom condo, 3 baths, kitchen, living room, private screened-in pool, tv/vcr/dvd, all appliances, all pots, pans, dishes, silverware. $80/night plus its fenced in and security guards are at the gate 24/7. And I can see the Tree of Life & EE from the entrance. I'd luv to stay on site at one of the monorail resorts, but its too $$$.

Where are you staying?

Those are my thoughts exactly TamaraQT, you hit it on the head. I understand the magic of staying on site, but the negative's outweigh the positives for me. Plus having a car to go to the 2 or 3 Disney "outlet" stores, Cocoa Beach, Ron Jon's, Giordano's, and other shopping/dining. these are places you can't get to without a car or calling a cab. Good post

This past July I had the opportunity to stay on-site for the first time. Myself, DH, and DD7. We stayed at AoA for 3 days and 3 nights. We also had the Dining Plan for counter service and table service meals and a snack. I was so thrilled to get to try onsite and make a comparison. Well when we first arrived we thought of all the conveniences on-site had to offer so we thought we wouldn't miss being off-site. Well the first night, after a thrilling day at Disney, DD7 was tired so we headed back to the room for the night. Well our patience grew thin very quickly when we realized using Disney transportation wasn't what we expected. We rented a car but didn't use it the first night since transportation was supposed to be a "perk" at Disney. Well, strike one, boy did we regret having to wait 20 minutes for a bus, and then had to endure a 20 minute ride. My DH quickly reminded me that if we had the rental car we would be back at the resort by now and already in the room. I ignored him and tried to keep an open mind. But I knew he was right. We were dropped off at the front of AoA, and our room was in the little mermaid section in the back of the resort. And that was a hike!!! All and all it took us a little over an hour total to wait for bus, get to resort, then walk back to room. Once back at room, we had to shower and go to bed. Well we hit strike 2 by having one bathroom which was not convenient at all. We are used to off-site 2 or 3 bedroom condos that provide at least 2 bathrooms. So that was another strike against on-site for us. Then came bedtime. Usually in a condo we put DD to bed and DH and I can enjoy a glass of wine, or drinks on the balcon. We can watch TV or spend quality time together while DD sleeps. Well there was no balcony and no separate bedroom, so strike 3. We endured the first night. The next day we took our rental car to each park. No more disney transportation for us. Not conveniennt in our opinion. We enjoyed the food at each restaurant, but we noticed how we had to cut our plans short each day to keep from being late for dining reservations. We wanted to go back to hotel and freshen up for dinner. If we had to wait for disney transportation, we would have spent more time on buses than in parks. But still, we agreed that dining reservations were good for some restaurants, but not good for everyday. It didn't work for us. It cut into our time spent on attractions. We didn't enjoy having to watch the clock so we wouldn't be late for dinner. Took some of our fun away. So we were glad to have tried the onsite experience. We both agree it does not work for us. After our stay at AoA we checked into our timeshare for 1 week. What a huge difference. We still had another park day left on our tickets so we only had to pay for parking. But the convenience to not have to wait for buses, or rush thru things to make it on time for dining reservations was worth the parking fee alone. So I think off-site is the way to go for my family. In fact, after our experience, it has been confirmed!!!
exactly

Mouse_Trap

Being from the UK and not comfortable with driving in US we have always stayed onsite - Port Orleans, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Beach Club, Boardwalk since our first visit 1995. Now DD has just left her teenage years and the driving issue has improved we stay at Bahama Bay Resort - just off the 192 and 10 mins from the Western Way entrance! Fabulous resort - peaceful with great accommodation. But to get our Disney "fix" we book a 2 night stay in one of the Epcot hotels - whichever has an offer on :animwink:. This does the trick. We get Disney magic plus the peace and quiet of Bahama Bay - accommodations are 2/3 bed, 2 bath, full kitchen, washer/dryer, patios and from the clubhouse you can watch MK fireworks!!! There is entertainment on at the Clubhouse - karaoke most nights I think - but from where we stay that isn't a problem. Check out the website - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Happy vacation wherever you choose. www.bahamabay.com

Bahama Bay is a fab resort. Have stayed there a number of times, though this last time it felt quite a drive after previously staying closer to the I-4 junction with the 192. Still probably far quicker than waiting for the bus.

Deluxe + standard for value esq prices.

osucbsb

My Brother and family have timeshares, so they share them with us (we are very grateful)at a very good price. We have stayed at Orange Lake (Christmas 2009) and will stay there again in May 2015. When we went to Disneyland, we stayed at the Welks Resort in Escondido. We have really enjoyed staying at these places. We enjoy the size of the rooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms. We like to cook our own meals unless we are in the parks, so the kitchens are a plus.

BigRedDad

After my last visit, there is nothing that is making me want to stay on site other than proximity. My experiences with the bus system has turned me into driving down every year now. I will never get on a bus there again. I will need an AP or be a resort guest for free parking at the parks. This is not a big deal.

The way I see it now is that I can do what I want when I want and not have to wait on the attrocious buses. Here is how it will save us money:
Driving vs flying: $500 savings
Hotel (Value vs Deluxe off-site): $750 savings
Time (bus vs car): Mornings are not too bad for a bus, but from the parks it is horrible. I prefer to have a car and not waste that hour every time we leave.

joejccva71

I've been planning and planning. Comparing every amenity, every restaurant, the transportation system, the pro's, the con's, what mousesavers says....everything and I have decided to stay off-site for my trip in May. It's not just about cost, it's also about value. To be honest I've checked and if I'm not staying at atleast a moderate or a deluxe disney resort then the hotels off-site are way nicer. I'm finding that the Hilton, Caribe Royal, Buena Vista Suites, DoubleTree Suites, and even the Holiday Inn are great hotels with fabulous dining, pools, location, and transportation to ALL the parks (not just Disney).

The Caribe Royal and the Hilton are both a PALACE of a hotel. The restaurants, the location, the service, the price, and the free transportation to the parks is pretty nice.

I was going to try staying at Port Orleans and was comparing Riverside vs French Quarter and the dining isn't that great (even Boatwright's is just ok). I've checked their menu's as well and the selections weren't very good, atleast to me. I'm sure the resort itself is nice but I don't know...I'm trying to justify the dramatic price increase and I just can't especially since I'm on a budget.

I find that if I stay at the Hilton I end up pay ALOT less for the room, have more options for dining, I can still get the Extra Disney Hours, and I still get the free transportation to the parks. Not to mention the Hillton has SIX restaurants both inside and outside including an upscale Italian Bistro as well as Benihana Japanese Steakhouse. Also I can walk across the street and be at Downtown Disney.

Hilton, I'm sold....

Yes I won't be in the "bubble"...well I kinda will. I won't have the Disney package for the Fastpass, I won't have the Disney bus transportation to the parks...Ill have a private bus system for only Hilton residents from DTD to the parks instead. That's ok by me. They also have 2 large pools.

For the price, I can stay there and save money.

This is just my opinion of course. :)

jlsHouston

I've been planning and planning. Comparing every amenity, every restaurant, the transportation system, the pro's, the con's, what mousesavers says....everything and I have decided to stay off-site for my trip in May. It's not just about cost, it's also about value. To be honest I've checked and if I'm not staying at atleast a moderate or a deluxe disney resort then the hotels off-site are way nicer. I'm finding that the Hilton, Caribe Royal, Buena Vista Suites, DoubleTree Suites, and even the Holiday Inn are great hotels with fabulous dining, pools, location, and transportation to ALL the parks (not just Disney).

The Caribe Royal and the Hilton are both a PALACE of a hotel. The restaurants, the location, the service, the price, and the free transportation to the parks is pretty nice.

I was going to try staying at Port Orleans and was comparing Riverside vs French Quarter and the dining isn't that great (even Boatwright's is just ok). I've checked their menu's as well and the selections weren't very good, atleast to me. I'm sure the resort itself is nice but I don't know...I'm trying to justify the dramatic price increase and I just can't especially since I'm on a budget.

I find that if I stay at the Hilton I end up pay ALOT less for the room, have more options for dining, I can still get the Extra Disney Hours, and I still get the free transportation to the parks. Not to mention the Hillton has SIX restaurants both inside and outside including an upscale Italian Bistro as well as Benihana Japanese Steakhouse. Also I can walk across the street and be at Downtown Disney.

Hilton, I'm sold....

Yes I won't be in the "bubble"...well I kinda will. I won't have the Disney package for the Fastpass, I won't have the Disney bus transportation to the parks...Ill have a private bus system for only Hilton residents from DTD to the parks instead. That's ok by me. They also have 2 large pools.

Very good reasons.....

hikernh30

Hilton, I'm sold....

So much for The Hilton huh? ;)

6laurac

We will Take the Westgate Town Center for September 2014! I can't wait to stay in the Westgate Town Center!

We stayed here in May in a terrific two bedroom, two living room, two kitchen suite almost the size of my house . My house obviously only has one kitchen and living room, mores the pity. Please just say no no no when or if you take the dreaded tour and your salesman will leave you alone and WG will let you leave with your wallet intact. Again the room was clean and huge but the sales pitch was like repeatedly pulling off a bandaid. Have a great time!

TamaraQT

We will Take the Westgate Town Center for September 2014! I can't wait to stay in the Westgate Town Center!

I am a Westgate timeshare owner/member. I LOVE Town Center !!! It's was my first Westgate experience, and we loved it so much we wanted to buy in. However, at the time Westgate Town Center didn't have any weeks/unit sizes I desired available on the resale market. But Westgate Lakes had a 3bedroom/3bath available for the week that usually falls on Memorial weekend. So we bought the available week at the Lakes. But usually, we trade our week to stay in Town Center instead. Especially if we are going to Disney because Town Center is closer to Disney, and The Lakes are closer to Universal Studios and Sea World. I hope you enjoy Town Center as much as me and my family. We will at Town Center again in July. We look forward to our time spent there as much as we look forward to Disney. I am lucky to be able to extend my vacation and split it between Disney and Westgate. Neither compares to the other. We enjoy our time at each respectively and appreciate the memories of our vacation that each place provides.

Pooh'sBuddy

I am very intrigued with y'all's decisions to stay off site. I think the one feature that I love is the morning extra magic hour. For those early birds who would take advantage of the EMH if staying on site, how are you with missing out on this? Just curious. I'm wondering how easily I could be swayed.

Susan Savia

We get up and out to be at the parks for rope drop and find it's just fine. We still get in plenty of attractions before the masses arrive. Getting up at 6am is early enough, much less getting up even earlier just to get in a couple more rides.

TamaraQT

I am very intrigued with y'all's decisions to stay off site. I think the one feature that I love is the morning extra magic hour. For those early birds who would take advantage of the EMH if staying on site, how are you with missing out on this? Just curious. I'm wondering how easily I could be swayed.

When I stayed onsite I never did EMH. I stayed in a value resort (AOA), so once we were up, showered, and dressed there was nothing in our room to do. So during EMH we were probably eating at the food court. We made rope drop once for MK, and once for Epcot during our 3 night stay. But never even considered going for EMH. For us, offsite works best because Disney is not our entire vacation. I am not sure I could sway anyone into staying offsite, I don't think it works for everybody. But I can say this, I think trying offsite at least once will help you decide if its for you or not. After doing both, we decided our family are offsite people. We don't NEED the extra space of a 2 or 3 bedroom, we just WANT it. We prefer having a place for kids to go to bed and we still have ADULT relaxation time. I don't NEED a full kitchen, I just WANT it. We like snacks and lots of beverages and that requires being stored in a full-size fridge. We don't NEED a rental car, we just WANT it. We want to move around Disney and everywhere else at our leisure. I often read of people who split their stay between on and offsite, and that may be something you can consider.

Figgy1

Premium Member
It works quite nice for us. We plan in advance what park, what day and avoid crowds in the parks the have morning EMH. We are at our park before rope drop and don't miss it at all. We also open and close one park a day so we get a lot done each day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom