Blog Flume - What should Disney do with EPCOT

disneysince71

It is a long walk from where it lets out now.

You know, my last trip was over Thanksgiving and TT 2.0 wasn't open. I've noted that it is incredibly polarizing. Some like it a lot better and some hate it. I'm really curious to see what my family thinks.
My 10 year old is mesmerized by the entire thing! He cant get over it! On the last day we where there they added a create your car experience to the FP line... and now in his 10 year old mind.. it is perfect. Personally I never appreciated being blinded by the light or put in the chamber of ice... so I love the changes.... :)

BoarderPhreak

It's not that TT2 sucks overall. The last minute is still fun (and oddly the part that is unchanged). ;)

But seriously. The "Tronification" is pointless. It was more interesting before where you actually saw test processes. Okay, so things are done more in the computer now than with actual models... Still. And that whole design studio in the beginning? What a HUGE, unnecessary bottleneck. But hey, that Errector Set outside looks fab! <end sarcasm>

disneysince71

I feel like sometimes we as adults.. 30's, 40's, 50's whatever. WE try to hold onto things as they where when we where kids... Which is great! But I believe in the minds of the creators they are trying to appeal to the younger kids teens and 20's and future....
I coach a large group of kids aged 5-15 and every year we bring 100 or so to Disney for our National Championships. I remember about 4/5 years ago bringing a small group of 15 year old girls to FW and they where less than impressed. They felt TT was boring and they only enjoyed the ending... They said it was not worth standing in line for an hour...
The age we live in requires that things change... I believe Disney with the magic band, New TT, My Exp., ext... They are trying to change... Attract a New generation! As far as us old folks.. we have to move and change with the times or just stay home.. :)

All Disney All The Time

I feel like sometimes we as adults.. 30's, 40's, 50's whatever. WE try to hold onto things as they where when we where kids... Which is great! But I believe in the minds of the creators they are trying to appeal to the younger kids teens and 20's and future....
I coach a large group of kids aged 5-15 and every year we bring 100 or so to Disney for our National Championships. I remember about 4/5 years ago bringing a small group of 15 year old girls to FW and they where less than impressed. They felt TT was boring and they only enjoyed the ending... They said it was not worth standing in line for an hour...
The age we live in requires that things change... I believe Disney with the magic band, New TT, My Exp., ext... They are trying to change... Attract a New generation! As far as us old folks.. we have to move and change with the times or just stay home.. :)
There's a very long list of things that 15 year old girls can be bored with, eh? That's something that has NEVER changed. LOL!
I too bemoan the demise of things at WDW that I personally enjoyed but embrace the things that have been added. Change is the only constant in life. Remember when dial-up was the only way to access the Internet? Anybody longing for those "good old days"?

litaljohn

It's not that TT2 sucks overall. The last minute is still fun (and oddly the part that is unchanged). ;)

But seriously. The "Tronification" is pointless. It was more interesting before where you actually saw test processes. Okay, so things are done more in the computer now than with actual models... Still. And that whole design studio in the beginning? What a HUGE, unnecessary bottleneck. But hey, that Errector Set outside looks fab! <end sarcasm>

I actually like the look of the Tron effect. oddly enough in that ride I want it to be as fake as possible simply if for nothing else, the first test track truly just felt like driving a car to me. the most exciting part of that ride was the heat and cool effect area. everything else just seemed like driving a normal everyday thing only usually tamer. I mean in jersey of you are just keeping up with traffic on the parkway you're going 80 to start, the shock test was nothing compared to the turnoff by me just after passing Jon Bon Jovis, and the road he is on itself also has some good bank turns ( good of course not applying in winter, where I may or may not have driven in snow and accidentally took out a bush in front of his house and somehow another from the little vineyard across the street. ) for sharp steering like test tracks example we have 18 wheelers pull stupid junk all the time and for some reason the engine of my crappy little car must be the same exact mating call of deer because they certainly seem to always Try to jump out in front of me constantly.

I dunno, to me test track just felt more like track, be a passenger in a car ride. at least now visually it puts in a different mindset. I agree with you about the bottleneck issue though, and a part of me fears what the Tron deer would look like.

BoarderPhreak

I actually like the look of the Tron effect. oddly enough in that ride I want it to be as fake as possible simply if for nothing else, the first test track truly just felt like driving a car to me...
Hmm, good point there. I mean, that kind of was the whole idea of the thing, but yeah - as drivers ourselves it perhaps didn't offer anything special. Especially NY/NJ drivers... Who experience TT on a daily basis. :p

I don't know though, for all the effort put into it, it's gotten lamer if you ask me. I for one will probably never go back on it (or Soarin' for that matter). But I appreciate both ride's ability to soak up some of the crowd, allowing me to enjoy the rest of the park more. ;)

As for 15 y/o kids, I don't think they'd be any more "impressed" with it now, despite the changes. Epcot in general doesn't seem like a park for them anyway.

litaljohn

Remember when dial-up was the only way to access the Internet? Anybody longing for those "good old days"?

dial up Internet, before all the wireless services and social media?

several million twitter members, Anthony weiner, famous people who's nude photos have been Instanly uploaded to millions in seconds. many people who's friends share many drunken pictures on facebook. there's probably a few people who appreciate what trouble they couldn't get into or get caught by using modern Internet standards and speeds.

All Disney All The Time

dial up Internet, before all the wireless services and social media?

several million twitter members, Anthony weiner, famous people who's nude photos have been Instanly uploaded to millions in seconds. many people who's friends share many drunken pictures on facebook. there's probably a few people who appreciate what trouble they couldn't get into or get caught by using modern Internet standards and speeds.
People did stupid things long before high speed Internet.

The Tomorrownaut

One thing we haven't considered about Epcot expansion... Where's the space for it? Look at the park on Google Maps and there is little room to add any new pavilions at all in FW without removing an existing one, and the only place I could see you adding a WS pavilion is between China and Germany. Anyone have thoughts or ideas on this issue?

BoarderPhreak

One thing we haven't considered about Epcot expansion... Where's the space for it? Look at the park on Google Maps and there is little room to add any new pavilions at all in FW without removing an existing one, and the only place I could see you adding a WS pavilion is between China and Germany. Anyone have thoughts or ideas on this issue?
There are more than a few places to put stuff around WS... They could also refactor the moat and go south. Or west if they extend past Seas.

michmousefan

I responded at TPI the first step... replace the Norway film. So stuck in the 80's its not even funny.

If a new country was to be added, one option I think would be cool is a combined Australia/New Zealand "super pavilion" in between China and Germany. As you enter the pavilion area, one side could be Australia and one could be NZ. You could have multiple restaurants, a travelogue-style film and a ride. Possibly a flume along the scale of Splash Mountain, although I'm not sure soaking guests and then sending them into the gift shops of WS is the right idea. So maybe the e-ticket is a coaster of some sort.

On the FW side, I'd first tackle Imagination, as it's the attraction needing the most love. 3D/4D movies aren't that unique anymore, so get rid of the theater and utilize that space as part of a new larger attraction.

Energy is close behind in need of help, but one could update the film elements fairly easily and leave it at that, as someone said... give it another 10 years of life.

Figmentation

I responded at TPI the first step... replace the Norway film. So stuck in the 80's its not even funny.

I think they would if Norway would approve of one, been hearing rumors since awhile back that they don't want to sponsor the pavilion anymore. In any case....

...Universe of Energy needs a update for sure. Though it's still leagues better than the movie-ride from the 80s, man, remembering that video put me to sleep.

Glasgow

First of all let me say Epcot is my favorite park. I think it's been in a state of decline for at least a decade, probably 2 - it makes me sad. Here is my plan.

I think Phase #1 of the overhaul is to get everything working that is currently already in place, simply from the aspect of providing more content and dispersing crowds, particularly in FW; this includes getting WoL usable, nothing fancy, just operational - I know the simulators won't be part of the deal but surely they can salvage enough to at least open the pavilion. (~$50mil)

Phase #2 is plussing salvagable attractions and refurb'ing one or two useless attractions. This would include a reboot of Imagination and Captain EO, upgrading video hardware in Soarin, and then adding either a pavilion to WS and/or a new FW attraction, such as replacing Odyssey with an attraction or squeezing one in elsewhere. ($250mil)

Phase #3 would then be the addition of one more pavilion and one more D or E ticket, something like Mt Fuji or complete replacement of UOE. ($200)

Total cost here would b around $500 and would span about 7-10 years. I think that's reasonable seeing as how each of the other parks are getting a similar investment.

Figmentation

First of all let me say Epcot is my favorite park. I think it's been in a state of decline for at least a decade, probably 2 - it makes me sad. Here is my plan.

Total cost here would b around $500 and would span about 7-10 years. I think that's reasonable seeing as how each of the other parks are getting a similar investment.

This seems reasonable and fairly easy to pull off. Especially since Meg is gone and money is being used more freely to update the parks under the new guys rule. I mean... we didn't see much love for ANY of the parks until she left so... here is hoping that they'll get to EPCOT sooner than later....

litaljohn

People did stupid things long before high speed Internet.

agreed, still the days of dial up got information out way slower and alotted said stupid people to work up better excuses and in some instances people were able to stop the bleeding much faster.

I'm betting aol stockholders probably miss the good old days as well. I keep looking for them on the endangered species list but they aren't giving up without a fight none of us know about apparently.

WED99

I think the Imagineers need to sit down together for a few hours and really figure out what the future is looking to turn out like, then create it!

If they can get the support from corporate of course ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom