'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

jt04

It does look generic and bland, but the current version isn't exactly a model of beauty. But Disney isn't holding back anything ... well, except every tenant that they hope to have included.

SDL is entirely different. Disney gets its marching orders from Shendi, which gets them from Beijing. But Disney has also been going back and forth on budgets and what will and won't be in the project. I shouldn't have to explain to anyone that a shopping center isn't the same as a theme park. ... And why bring me into the discussion? I am not at war with any company, let alone Disney. Potter hasn't been announced because UNI has MAJOR additions opening first that they want the focus on. The big difference here, again, is they are actually building SOMETHING. You may want to debate what you think is being built, but clearly something is. Right now, nothing is being built at DD and nothing of consequence has for a long, long time.

Agreed there. The site that the news was 'leaked' to was done intentionally to drum up talk and excitment for the project. Disney was not angry that the info was put out -- their own O-Town ABC affiliate ran the artwork with Tom Corliss' watermarks running up and down it. He's a tool for them whether he realizes it or not. He didn't do anything bad. Just like with MM+. There's a reason why Disney is going there. My guess is this site has refused to put out company art/plans that aren't official. And Mongello won't. So, they look at who's left that gets a decent number of eyes and can spread it. Tommy can.

I hope you can respond to my thoughts in the Iger/CNBC thread. Much more relevant I think.

Goodnight all!

ASilmser

-
So having had a chance to really look things over, i like what i am seeing for DTD.
Two things however jump out at me and say 'Huh?'...
The raised 'railroad' fixtures...and the Disney Springs name.

First, the raised fixtures.
I can understand their purpose ( shade/shelter from the elements outside ) but i am reminded of the ol' Skyway. Was not one of the reasons this attraction was closed was because of problems related to Guests dropping things on others below?
I can see kids standing up there, licking their ice cream cones, and dribbling half of it down on people below them. I will not even begin to think about other items being 'dribbled' down on passers-by below.
It will be interesting to see how they plan on curbing this at the Springs. Looks like a place where not-so-polite younger Guests can pull off some pranks.

Second, the 'Disney Springs' name.
Yeah, i makes me recall old-school Florida..back before Mickey was in town and it seemed every other tourist destination had 'Springs' in the name.
I can dig that...but just 'Disney Springs'? It seems the name could use another word....maybe 'Disney's Sunshine Springs'...or the like. I can see how the previous name 'Downtown Disney' would not really fit the new theme, but the 'Springs' thing...hmm...seems more could be done with that.

The full color concept art looks nice....as art. As a actual set of buildings...well, i will wait to see and pass final judgement. Seems a bit pedestrian-ish and not overly exciting, but i know the developers have done wonders to other shopping areas elsehwhere. So i feel good about this at this early stage.

Looks like the loud, colorful edge is being erased and a more mellow approach is being taken.
It will be interesting to see what goes into those buildings. I am hoping for more exclusive/unusual places that cannot be found at your local mall back home.
Here's to hoping....

Another blogger (I can't remember who) has referred to the area as "Hyperion Springs;" an obvious reference to Hyperion Wharf. . . even though it was in humor, I thought that name sounded better. My guess is it'll never happen. They don't want to draw attention to their design "mulligan". Any other traditional Disney names that might fit better with the "springs" suffix?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Took a while to catch up... I am cautiously optimistic, but definitely want to see the vendor list. I would hope with multiple new eating establishments they could section off a few places to be strictly over 21 at least at night. I would like to see:
1). A gastro pub style bar with a good bar food menu but more important a great beer menu. Something with 50 to 100 beers on tap from all over the country and world. Something like flying saucer in Downtown Houston.
2). A good/large sports bar with massive TVs. I know ESPN Zone is at BW, but there is room for 2 sports bars. Plenty of times when people need to get their sports fix on vacation, Sunday and Monday during football season, march madness, Super Bowl, British "football" for our friends from across the pond, etc.
3). A country/western themed bar complete with mechanical bull. Not a fan of the music myself, but Nothing is funnier than fat old guys falling off a bull and nothing is hotter than 2 good looking chicks riding the bull together;)
4). Live, outdoor music somewhere. They should take advantage of the great space they have especially by the water and nothing draws in a crowd like live music.
5). And a reopened AC (for @Lee of course;))

That's my wish list. Not getting my hopes up. I would probably be content with 2 out of 5.

WDW1974

I'm not too bothered by it.. it could just be stage hogging too. If you are a big vendor.. do you want to play second fiddle to Disney stroking themselves? Or have to share your limited time with other vendors?

Remember.. before anything else.. this will still be DISNEY's shopping district and vendors are just playing by their game.

I would suppose the list of icons circulated before was a snapshot of vendors they were courting or vendors they think would be a good fit.

Given Disney doesn't seem to do anything without having someone lined up to pay the bill.. I doubt we would have an aggressive start to construction if Disney wasn't ready with plans on how to fill the spots.

Let's see exactly what kind of construction is done. My guess is that the new retail and dining is going to be quite away down the line ... shuttering Captain Jack's (saves them money), adding pedestrian bypasses (bridges look good, but most retailers want to force people by their shops), even starting work on the first garage will likely be the stuff you see this year.

I don't know of one major national retailer who would sign a pricey deal to be located at WDW and not want immediate exposure for it.

(I am sure you'll come up with a list!)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Understood. If it's any consolation, we have a mall being built near where I live and the tenants refuse to be named until closer to opening. They developers accidentally posted the site plan with the logos on the buildings on their website for about a week before pulling it off.

If there wasn't demand, they would have stuck with the Hyperion Wharf plan.

But wasn't there some kind of "anchors" in place? Like a Macy's? or JC Penny, Sports Authority?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know of one major national retailer who would sign a pricey deal to be located at WDW and not want immediate exposure for it.

(I am sure you'll come up with a list!)

My point is basically.. 'why share the news cycle?'

If Disney released 5 store profiles in the event.. I doubt the local news would have increased their coverage long enough to give each a full run down.. their names would be tossed out during the same 90second spot, etc.

Now Disney can stretch it out and make it look like things are happening all the time when they slow roll names out and give each their own PR splash.

WDW1974

I was just coming in here to say that same thing. He didn't seem to have a full
handle on the facts, like he was searching the room (and perhaps a recently
briefed brain) for answers.

He's been there for days, and ostensibly involved in this for months and months.

Maybe he had some bad shrimp for lunch or something. Odd.

Well, I've heard the food at Splitsville ain't all that, so you could be right! :)

But he looked so uncomfortable and that was with a weak reporter from the O-Town Biz Journal. What would he have done with a real tough reporter asking questions?

And where the hell is @Lee and @raven and even @tirian? ... one might think they all have something to say on this.

WDW1974

My point is basically.. 'why share the news cycle?'

If Disney released 5 store profiles in the event.. I doubt the local news would have increased their coverage long enough to give each a full run down.. their names would be tossed out during the same 90second spot, etc.

Now Disney can stretch it out and make it look like things are happening all the time when they slow roll names out and give each their own PR splash.

People are gonna tire of that and not pay attention. It's not smart PR. Perhaps, the first 2-3 times ... but then no one will care.

You gotta go all in and make a splash giving big and equal play to all (within reason).

But without getting my own body language expert, I can say that Tom's interview was quite telling. Acting is not a strong suit for a numbers guy. They would have been better with George, wherever he is.

ASilmser

I am not "hating" this because someone told me to.
I am not "hating" this at all.
This announcement today has announced two parking garages and 75 vendor spaces, without any vendors. I can understand why some vendors would prefer not to be named as of this time, but it leaves this announcement as two parking garages and 75 empty shops - could they not find a single vendor willing to have their name mentioned? For example, I would have expected that if Landry's was going to open another location in Disney Springs, that there should be no reason why they would want it kept quiet now. If Disney is operating ANY of the new shops, why didn't they name a single store? (Beautifully Disney?)
But two parking garages and 75 vendor spaces is not something to get excited about in and of itself - it is going to be a mall - people go to malls for shops and restaurants - no shops and restaurants were named - therefore there is nothing really to get excited for, yet (unless you think that they need a parking garage or two - we have never driven to DTD, so I have no opinion on that).

I don't love it, I don't hate it - as of right now - I feel "nothing" towards it...

But "yay" for necessary infrastructure! ;)

I agree with the "I'll believe it when I see it" sentiment. Disney has not had the best track record over the past 10 years with proposed retail developments turning out as planned. The concept is good, but without vendors, it won't happen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
AND....

Ok, some outside vendors don't want to be announced yet. Fine, I'll buy that. But....

IF there are any Disney Owned and operated unique venues, why not announce those???
Just shooting from the hip, but maybe they are waiting to nail down some additional big vendors before announcing all of them. Rather than announce just the Disney owned locations they probably want to announce everyone at once in one big announcement. If that's the case then the real question is why bother announcing now, why not just wait until you are ready to announce the vendors too? To the cynics amongst us it's because they don't have the vendors lined up yet, but it's also possible they plan to start construction pretty soon and wanted to get the concept art and plans out there so people know what's going on.

djlaosc

Just shooting from the hip, but maybe they are waiting to nail down some additional big vendors before announcing all of them. Rather than announce just the Disney owned locations they probably want to announce everyone at once in one big announcement. If that's the case then the real question is why bother announcing now, why not just wait until you are ready to announce the vendors too? To the cynics amongst us it's because they don't have the vendors lined up yet, but it's also possible they plan to start construction pretty soon and wanted to get the concept art and plans out there so people know what's going on.

Exactly - if they are not going to name vendors, then why not just start building (just like Transformers and HP2.0) and announce when you have something of substance to announce?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly - if they are not going to name vendors, then why not just start building (just like Transformers and HP2.0) and announce when you have something of substance to announce?

My only guess is they somehow felt this "announcement" would draw enough attention and interest to push some vendors into signing on. Although announcing some of the other big vendors and Disney owned venues could do the same thing.

MickeyPeace

Ive haven't read all 20 pages but here's my take on this situation. TDO looked across the water to Saratoga Springs and thought...Springs. Why not extend that theme across the water. This will be an area themed to springs. And water. Now we have a highly cohesive area. (We might even sell more shares at Saratoga) We can utilize the water to make it more beautiful, desirable and even use as real estate.

As an area that does not charge admission, I'm all for this. It has story, more dining and shopping, more areas to relax and water!
I just hope it stays open later than DD did and offers at least one new night time entertainment venue for adults.
Hey TDO if you are reading this. We are all adults here and we want the option of something to do at night (besides bowling).

Could the money be better spent in the parks? Perhaps. But Disney has no shortage of $$$. If they want they can still pour money into the parks. They have to want to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom