What did you do?

Kristia

Not really a "What did you do" post but if anyone on here does the Broad Street run in Philly I just found out today that they are going to do a lottery system to choose runners after the big cluster.... that was last year's registration. Sold out in 5 hours. Alot of people spent 3+ hours on the computer trying to register but servers were so bogged down, people were having trouble getting through. Not sure I like this though. I ran for the first time last year with the husband and my sister. We wanted to do it again but I am not sure the chances of all of us winning the lottery. :(

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Jill, Glad you are getting out for a run. i know that will help your spirits.

NYC Marathon
I would like to retract something I said earlier this week. I think they should cancel the NYC marathon. After seeing 1) how bad conditions are 2 days later (Im not local and it is hard to see everything) 2) seeing how they are taking so many resources away from people that need them (power, bottled water) 3) telling citizens that dont have water to flush a toilet they cant use the porto-potty.... I think they should cancel it. Wow. Someone is going to get hurt by an unfortunate situation. 1 million donation from the organizers is a lot of money, but looking at corporate sponsorship and entry fees, that isnt much. I think this is going to turn out to be a PR nightmare and if someone gets hurt or attacked, I wouldnt want to be around that marathon.

If I had registered for it, I would deflect till next year. I wonder who on the marathon side was pressing Bloomberg to continue on with it? Oh, and there is a major storm possibly coming Tuesday. Jill, I hope you get your power sooner than you expected.

Not really a "What did you do" post but if anyone on here does the Broad Street run in Philly I just found out today that they are going to do a lottery system to choose runners after the big cluster.... that was last year's registration. Sold out in 5 hours. Alot of people spent 3+ hours on the computer trying to register but servers were so bogged down, people were having trouble getting through. Not sure I like this though. I ran for the first time last year with the husband and my sister. We wanted to do it again but I am not sure the chances of all of us winning the lottery. :(
Its ok, we do that occasionally. LOL

Texas84

Off work today because I get to work this weekend. Woo-hoo! So slept in and did 3 miles. 38F at start. Bee-yoo-tiful day! Thought I had overdressed until I cleared my street. Nope, I didn't. :D

One week until we head for W&D!

joel_maxwell

Off work today because I get to work this weekend. Woo-hoo! So slept in and did 3 miles. 38F at start. Bee-yoo-tiful day! Thought I had overdressed until I cleared my street. Nope, I didn't. :D

One week until we head for W&D!
Love 38 degrees (not the band.... the temp, Bwhahahaha). Trust the "Temperature Clothing Gauge" :)

imagination30

Jill, Glad you are getting out for a run. i know that will help your spirits.

NYC Marathon
I would like to retract something I said earlier this week. I think they should cancel the NYC marathon. After seeing 1) how bad conditions are 2 days later (Im not local and it is hard to see everything) 2) seeing how they are taking so many resources away from people that need them (power, bottled water) 3) telling citizens that dont have water to flush a toilet they cant use the porto-potty.... I think they should cancel it. Wow. Someone is going to get hurt by an unfortunate situation. 1 million donation from the organizers is a lot of money, but looking at corporate sponsorship and entry fees, that isnt much. I think this is going to turn out to be a PR nightmare and if someone gets hurt or attacked, I wouldnt want to be around that marathon.

If I had registered for it, I would deflect till next year. I wonder who on the marathon side was pressing Bloomberg to continue on with it? Oh, and there is a major storm possibly coming Tuesday. Jill, I hope you get your power sooner than you expected.

Its ok, we do that occasionally. LOL

joel , they just cancelled it!.. it was big stroy on the weather channel of all places!.... and suprisingly some of the Metrologist . on there run marthons! ....

Witchy Chick

Jill - sorry you are still without power and that it sounds like it will be a while before power is back on. Is there anyone you can stay with for the nights? I wish there was something I could do to help.

Around 2pm today (before Mayor Bloomberg's decision), my husband and I made the decision to cancel our Marathon plans. He's going to defer to next year, and we were able to cancel all of our reservations (hotel, train, Lion King show) with no penalties.

I'm trying to get out of my husband how much his Marathon registration was. I'd like to donate that amount to some worthy cause supporting the victims of Sandy.

joel_maxwell

13.25 miles this morning. Really good run. I kept having to slow down to get the benefits of a long run. Came in around 2 hours.

Also, around mile 6, Johnny F'ing Redneck was driving down the street in an old 70's pickup. I got off the road (running against traffic, not on a side walk for about 1000 yards to the next community) and when he started approaching me, he veered towards me and acted like he was going to hit me. I was 2 feet in the gravel grass over from the white line, and he came over the white line almost off the road. He was looking me dead in the eyes so i know it wasnt an accident. I stopped dead in my tracks waiting to see if I was going to have to dive into a ditch to my left which was about 10 feet down. Once he passed me, I figured I needed to communicate to him on his level, so I gave him a very spirited 2 finger salute... and Im not talking about a peace sign.

Jerk! Next time, Im getting tag numbers. I have seen him before.

joel_maxwell

UPDATE from Nick: He said his community is DESTROYED. Very bad. Sent pics of his garbage pile in hid driveway. Artwork, tools etc. Really sucks. Insurance was supposedly coming today. And for what it is worth, when asked, he said F the NY marathon. ;)

Kristia

UPDATE from Nick: He said his community is DESTROYED. Very bad. Sent pics of his garbage pile in hid driveway. Artwork, tools etc. Really sucks. Insurance was supposedly coming today. And for what it is worth, when asked, he said F the NY marathon. ;)
Yeah...most of the Jersey shore is destroyed. I just heard that Seaside residents may not get back to their houses for 6-8 months due to a compromised gas main. It is really bad and sad.

Texas84

13.25 miles this morning. Really good run. I kept having to slow down to get the benefits of a long run. Came in around 2 hours.

Also, around mile 6, Johnny F'ing Redneck was driving down the street in an old 70's pickup. I got off the road (running against traffic, not on a side walk for about 1000 yards to the next community) and when he started approaching me, he veered towards me and acted like he was going to hit me. I was 2 feet in the gravel grass over from the white line, and he came over the white line almost off the road. He was looking me dead in the eyes so i know it wasnt an accident. I stopped dead in my tracks waiting to see if I was going to have to dive into a ditch to my left which was about 10 feet down. Once he passed me, I figured I needed to communicate to him on his level, so I gave him a very spirited 2 finger salute... and Im not talking about a peace sign.

Jerk! Next time, Im getting tag numbers. I have seen him before.
They are out there. My driver's Ed teacher always told us assume every driver is an idiot.

Mad Stitch

13 miles today. I was running on the treadmill during the week due to Sandy, but went to the Metopark for today's run. There were many trees down blocking the trail and at one point the trail was completely washed away. Not complaining though seeing how bad NJ and NY is. Glad to hear everyone here is ok.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I'm back. Thanks to Joel for checking in and giving a quick update.

Nutshell: neighborhood is destroyed. My basement is destroyed, but friends and neighbors lost their entire houses.

Working all week cleaning and working with contractors to repair my house and replace appliances.

Yes, Joel is right when he quoted me: F the NYC marathon. Not the time to take cops away from real work, and to host thousands of people during this s--t.

I'm ready to run at least 50 miles tomorrow for fun. Then another 50, and another 50, and another 50...
If you thought I was a machine before, lookout, ultra distance will be obsolete.

joel_maxwell

Nutshell: neighborhood is destroyed. My basement is destroyed, but friends and neighbors lost their entire houses.

Working all week cleaning and working with contractors to repair my house and replace appliances.

Yes, Joel is right when he quoted me: F the NYC marathon. Not the time to take cops away from real work, and to host thousands of people during this s--t.

I'm ready to run at least 50 miles tomorrow for fun. Then another 50, and another 50, and another 50...
If you thought I was a machine before, lookout, ultra distance will be obsolete.
The day after the storm when it looked like only flood water had risen, I thought the event might bring attention to the city it needed. However, once footage and reports started coming in, and especially the pictures, yes, they should have cancelled well before Friday.

They handled the whole thing well poorly.

Glad you are getting back out and hitting the pavement. Well, sand covered pavement.

Mickey&Minnie

Yesterday was my second half marathon. The weather was perfect. It was super small (250 runners). In fact most of the time I was running completely by myself. I had no one to catch up too and the ones behind me weren't visible either. We ran thru a neighborhood and they failed to shut down the traffic so I was running on the shoulder and dodging cars. If it wasn't for the bib number I just blended into all of the other runners in the neighborhood. My first water stop was at 4 miles. I was regretting not getting a water bottle ahead of time several times. Overall I completed it in 03:00:33. And today I am super sore!

fmingo36

Hi Everyone!

I'm BACK! Power was restored at 3:13 am. It was not a fun 5 days without power/heat but I have to say I had it easy compared to a lot of other folks in the area. We had crazy winds that took down many trees/wires but luckily we did not have the rain so no flooding issues. One small part of our fence was destroyed but that was it. I think the hardest part (other than the cold) was not being able to communicate with everyone. I have gotten very fond of you on this board and I was worried about how everyone else in the area was doing. And to those that are in the area and still have no power -The MINGO MOTEL is open for business--hot showers, warm meals, Sunday afternoon football and plenty of Halloween candy (hubby says discounted rates apply ;) ) .
If anyone needs anything please let me know!

Obviously no workouts for me other than a little yoga moves, here & there. Oh, and raking -LOTS and LOTS of raking.

fmingo36

Nick--if you & Alison need ANYTHING, let us know. Chris and I will be there in a heartbeat!

Texas84

Great to see everyone checking in.

M&M, great job!

4 miles today. It was 76F at launch! o_O Didn't carry any fluids and should have. Nice run though, even with the Texas-like winds. 20mph+.

Kristia

So sorry about your losses. This storm was definitely like nothing the Jersey shore has ever seen. Here is hoping that some sense of normalcy returns soon for everyone affected. What better way to do that then get back to some crazy mileage right? ;)
Hi Everyone!

I'm BACK! Power was restored at 3:13 am. It was not a fun 5 days without power/heat but I have to say I had it easy compared to a lot of other folks in the area. We had crazy winds that took down many trees/wires but luckily we did not have the rain so no flooding issues. One small part of our fence was destroyed but that was it. I think the hardest part (other than the cold) was not being able to communicate with everyone. I have gotten very fond of you on this board and I was worried about how everyone else in the area was doing. And to those that are in the area and still have no power -The MINGO MOTEL is open for business--hot showers, warm meals, Sunday afternoon football and plenty of Halloween candy (hubby says discounted rates apply ;) ) .
If anyone needs anything please let me know!

Obviously no workouts for me other than a little yoga moves, here & there.
Glad to hear that you finally have power and are back online!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom