Weird things the "general public" say.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Walt Disney rode every ride in the Magic Kingdom. (Yes, I heard that one)

The Swan Boats are now in Lake Eola.

Pirates use to have two drops but they took one out.

There are prison cells for shoplifters underground (I think that was a parent trying to scare a kid trying to stick candy in a pocket)

There is an apartment for Walt in the Castle. (Long before the suite was built)

And my favorite: If you don't start behaving, we will turn you in at City Hall and they will place you in It's a Small World. (My parents to me as a kid ;) )
There is actually a thread of truth to that. The original plans did have an apartment for Walt in the castle. The plans were not changed after his death so the room for the apartment remained, it was just never finished. It housed the phone switchboard for a number of years and was used for storage before being converted in the the Cinderella Suite.

J03Y

In line for Mission Space (orange side) an older couple in front of me turns and says..."so what kind of ride is this?". My mouth dropped open and I asked if they had watched any of the 'warning' videos....no, they were 'busy talking' and thought it was a space show.

When I realized they weren't joking I got the attention of the nearest CM and they got out before takeoff.

oh...lord... :confused:

My fave was when I heard a guy in the line for Splash Mountain tell the other people in his group, "This ride is awesome! There's the big drop we saw outside and it goes upside down!" I hoped he was kidding, but I really doubt it, from his expression.

oh lord... :confused:

You guys have probably heard this because I have several times. Entering the library on ToT when the lights go out someone says, "Do we fall now!?!?"
OH LORD :confused:

Disney rolls the giant golf ball out of the park once a month to clean it.

ok, out of all of the things i've heard misinformed people say, this is without doubt the most stupid that has ever reached my ears.

this one time, my mom and i are passing through the gate in front of Dinosaur and next to us is a mother walking with her little boy by the hand and she goes "oh look! it's a dinosaur show!" to the kid. my mom and i look at each other with, literally, fear in our eyes cause we've both been traumatized by this ride before. i quickly tap her on the shoulder and say "um, ma'm...this isn't a show."

"oh what is it, then? what kind of ride?"
"a pitch black dark and very scary ride."
she smiles and then turns around with the kid quickly "okay, nevermind! we're not going there!"

my mom and i couldn't stop laughing :confused:

Californian Elitist

It's a personal pet peeve of mine when anyone describes WDW as the happiest place on earth instead of magical. I know that it is a common mistake and my own issue, so I try to ignore it the best I can.

Oh my goodness, I hate that too. There can only be one "Happiest Place on Earth". I've yet to correct someone but it drives me insane. I also hate it when people spell Disneyland, Disney Land, and Disney World, Disneyworld.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It's always memorable when apparent first-time visitors have no clue whether the Haunted Mansion is scary or what Space Mountain is like.

Ummmm ... excuse me, but Haunted Mansion IS a bit scary.
When we are traveling in an odd numbered group, HM is the only ride I refuse to go on by myself. Those pop-up ghost/skeletons in the grave yard scare the cr*p out of me.

Californian Elitist

Ummmm ... excuse me, but Haunted Mansion IS a bit scary.
When we are traveling in an odd numbered group, HM is the only ride I refuse to go on by myself. Those pop-up ghost/skeletons in the grave yard scare the cr*p out of me.

I agree, Mansion can be a bit scary.

At Disneyland, the ride guests report to be the scariest ride in the resort is Snow White's Scary Adventures. I agree with that statement, I still close my eyes on that ride.

ZaneB

The stuff I hear most often that I know will lead to headaches later is using the park hopper to go to Uni and trying to decide which park they'll go to that night for EMH. Only once did I pipe up. A woman kept arguing with her husband about using their WDW tickets at Uni...and she was right. We were all waiting for the parade. When he went to get ice cream, I told her she was right. But I usually keep my big mouth shut.

When I hear "Happiest place on Earth", "Fast Track" or "Cinderella's castle" I do immediate mental corrections. :)
I probably sound stupid right now, but whats wrong with cinderellas castle?

FettFan

When I hear "Happiest place on Earth", "Fast Track" or "Cinderella's castle" I do immediate mental corrections. :)

That person was from Louisiana. ;)
Fast Track was a drive-thru burger joint in the Baton Rouge-New Orleans areas.

They were bought out by Checkers-Rallys back in the mid-90s.

ddbowdoin

I felt bad once...

I believe it was March 2010 (or 11) and we were in the doorless room of HM, once the lighning went off and the lights went off I screamed really loud (as if I was scared, more of an evil movie laugh) and a 12 year old girl next to me got to scared she began to cry and they had to pull her into the emergency "I'm too scared" exit.

Whoopsies

tumblr_lqgiu8Y30C1qhqwmd.jpg

Beholder

Everything is relative. I thought I knew a lot until I came here. I can't hold a candle to most of the folks on this forum, yet I've never been made to feel stupid or like an idiot. I like sharing what I can with those who don't obsess as much as I do.

SPMTCP2003

The proper name is Cinderella Castle.

That I certainly can forgive, because you could be referring to the castle as Cinderella's, in the possessive.

Anywho, I too have heard some doozies as a CM. The strangest question from a guest: "when it rains, how long does it take to close the dome over the parks?" They were 100% serious, and I did not have a magical response prepared for that one. Rather awkward.
400005002496.jpg

Also, having worked at Space Mountain, I can attest that every now and then people do have their hands get hit while riding. But it is always due to leaning to a side and putting their hands out, never because of having them straight up in the air. You really have to reach out pretty far to hit the sides of the ride, so really, you're just asking for it. o_O

KCheatle

Ironically, for all of the times I've thought to myself "that's not right" after overhearing a conversation either in the monorail or just walking through the parks, I can only remember two right now. But, I do know that I frequently have that thought while I'm in WDW. The only ones I can remember right now are about the hotels. One was a guy in the monoral talking about how they built the Garden wing on the Contemp and when it filled up they decided to build BLT. I didn't want to embarrass him, but I was sitting there the entire time thinking that the Garden wing has been there since I was a kid, and in fact, there used to be two and the north wing was demoed for BLT, but the construction of the wings originally had nothing to do with BLT. I've also heard that the Grand Floridian was the first hotel and that it is where the princesses stay at night. You would think I heard this conversation between a parent and child, but there was no child involved. Again, I decided not to intervene - let them imagine :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom