Potty Training and DW?

Britt

Original Poster
Soooo, my son is about to turn 2 (in 8 days) and is showing a large interest in potty training, so we're starting him out (low key, just at home, no biggie. Im big on "when they're ready").

My concern comes in that we're leaving for Disney in 32 days! I dont think PT is going to take THAT long with as much as he's wanting to go, but just....their bladders dont work like ours...lol

So...have you tried WDW with a newly potty trained toddler? Or do you switch to Pull Ups? (we go right into underwear...maybe pullups are a good idea for the trip?)

docdebbi

we have NOT done it with a newly trained one. we purposely waited till right after we came home even though he seemed ready before- and will not do so with any of the future kids. The thought of getting to the front of the line and having to leave and get at the back of the line again is not something we are interested in doing.
And believe me, we have heard the phrase "pee pee emergency" in the middle of doing things too many times to expect otherwise. you are right- their bladders are different than ours.
think pull ups and telling him occasionally it's ok to pee your pants and sometimes it's not, is really sending mixed messages. at least in my humble opinion. (we're were ok with using them to get through the night in the beginning because they just don't have a "wake me up when the bladder is full reflex yet- but never did for waking hours- just our choice)

Britt

Original Poster
we have NOT done it with a newly trained one. we purposely waited till right after we came home even though he seemed ready before- and will not do so with any of the future kids. The thought of getting to the front of the line and having to leave and get at the back of the line again is not something we are interested in doing.
And believe me, we have heard the phrase "pee pee emergency" in the middle of doing things too many times to expect otherwise. you are right- their bladders are different than ours.
think pull ups and telling him occasionally it's ok to pee your pants and sometimes it's not, is really sending mixed messages. at least in my humble opinion. (we're were ok with using them to get through the night in the beginning because they just don't have a "wake me up when the bladder is full reflex yet- but never did for waking hours- just our choice)
I agree! We've always just went straight to underwear, never bothered with Pull Ups (waste of money and definitely conflicting info). My older boys didn't train until 3 due to a lot of language delays, so I've really never worried about it. A 2 year olds bladder is even different then a 2 year olds too!

luv

Honestly, I'd wait. It is wonderful that he is showing signs of readiness! Very exciting time for young parents. :)

And I know how much you probably don't want to haul a bunch of crap around with you if you don't have to.

My son didn't start until the week he turned three, but when he did it, he did. That was it. I kept up with the pull ups for a few days and then a few more nights, but it was unnecessary. As soon as he FINALLY peed in the potty, he kept it up. If yours goes that well, great. But if it looks like its going to be a process (which it usually is, especially at his age)...wait until you get back.

First of all, you'll have to wait to get into lines until he goes. Or you'll have to get out of lines. Also, little ones tend to put off going when they are involved in something and then are racing to the potty because they cant hold it any longer. He might not make it at WDW, which can upset kids...make them feel like failures and like they disappointed you.

And for anyone who is worried that their kid is dumb because he's almost 3yo and not trained...they won't have to wear diapers to Kindergarten. :). They'll get it eventually. And when they apply to colleges, it doesn't matter who peed in the potty first. :)

maryszhi

believe it
Soooo, my son is about to turn 2 (in 8 days) and is showing a large interest in potty training, so we're starting him out (low key, just at home, no biggie. Im big on "when they're ready").

My concern comes in that we're leaving for Disney in 32 days! I dont think PT is going to take THAT long with as much as he's wanting to go, but just....their bladders dont work like ours...lol

So...have you tried WDW with a newly potty trained toddler? Or do you switch to Pull Ups? (we go right into underwear...maybe pullups are a good idea for the trip?)
believe it or not, a very very long time ago, i was the one that had just been potty trained. my mom made me where pull ups for the " just in case". i would recommend bringing one of those seats that go over the toilette so that your son fits the seat comfortably .

Cindy'sBruno

My daughter just had turned three when we went to DW last year. She was potty training as well. I had been working with her for months and she finally got it right before our trip. I refused to put pull ups on her! She had been out of pull ups for over 2 months and I was not going to put a pull up on her for the sake of getting out of a line. I know that may sound harsh, but I would rather wait in a long line twice or maybe even three times that wait months for her to finally get it again! I worked with her for a very long time before this though. You are the mommy and you know what to do! If you think holding off until you get back is better for you and him, then you do it! Mommies know their babies better than anyone! Good luck and let me know how it goes. My son will soon be potty training and we are leaving for DW in September so I may need some pointers!

bethymouse

My boys were in pull ups at age 3. It worked fine. But, pull-ups I believe delay being "trained" and being in underwear. I don't remember having any "accidents". I guess we took enough "potty" breaks!:)

Raven66

This has nothing to do with potty training in WDW, but when my daughter was little and getting around the age of potty training we had no idea how to do it. Her day care provider, who happened to be a very good friend even before my daughter was born, told me to send just undies with her that day, no diapers. I was leary at first but she had potty trained two kids of her own and several in day care. By the time we picked her up that day she was potty trained!! To this day I have no idea how she did it, but our kid never needed another diaper, not even at night. I never had to buy a bag a pull-ups. That woman is a miracle worker I tell ya.:) I never had anymore kids so I never had the pleasure of the potty training. Oh darn! haha

tare

Keep working with him before you go it is so much easier when they are trained!! He pretty much should be by now anyway our was trained by one and a half!! Good luck

pixiesteno

Our youngest son had it down within two weeks. The eldest, took longer because right in the middle of it he had to have emergency surgery to repair his eye from a dog bite and the hospital put him back in diapers. What a challenge! I bring this up because I am not sold on the whole "pull up" thing. We did not have such an thing when my boys were little. He really got mixed messages going back into a diaper and they gave him a bottle. Yes, I understand that they wanted to gauge how much fluid he was taking in but the whole thing really through him for a loop. Not to mention the trauma of the bite and surgery, etc.
I have always used the gauge that when they wake up dry in the morning, put them right on the toilet and they get the hang of it pretty quick. Now, with all that being said, I think that more frequent visits to the bathroom about a half hour or so after he has eaten or drank will help reduce any accidents. I also agree that a portable seat that fits on the toilet is a must, that way they don't feel like they are falling in. I would also have a pack of post-its in my bag to put over the auto-flush sensor that way the toilet doesn't flush until you are ready for it to. Extra clothes, and several gallon size ziplocks and you should be set.

Doombuggy13

Ok this could go on this thread or the most embarssing WDW moments. My youngest son (then 2) was potty training while he was on his first trip to WDW. Mind you he was just beginning the potty training process and when he felt the need to go he would pull his pants and "pull up" down while walking to the potty and then shuffle naked the rest of the way. This was a very hard habit to break! So there were a few times on that first trip that he just decided it was time to go and started to "drop em" before we could make it into the restroom. Also on this trip in Epcot, were were hanging out in a shaded area near Japan and my wife took the little one to the rest room. I was casually having a conversation with a gent from the UK, when my wife and son returned from the restroom and my son announces "Daddy I just took a GIANT POOP"! He was so freakin proud! Everyone laughted but it was still embarassing.

JillC LI

If he shows interest, I'd let him try. When DD was 2.5 years old, she decided it was time, and we let her even though we would be leaving on vacation to Virginia a week later. We let her go immediately into big girl underwear, but for the 9 hours drive, we told her she should wear her "travelling underwear" which were Pullups. She agreed. She never had any accidents, but it gave me peace of mind in case we got stuck in traffic with nowhere for her to go in case of emergency. I'd say WDW is a great place for a newly potty-trained child because there are bathrooms EVERYWHERE!

laxchik18

a few years ago we went and my brother was potty training. i dont remember what he wore (sorry), but if your son is still working on it hers and i dea my parents used with my brother: He loved buzz lightyear. so everytime he used the potty in the hotel, i would go outside the room, knock on the door and put a little treat(toy, stuffed animal that my parents bought him) right outside the door and come back inside. that way he'd hear the knock and after he got out of the bathroom he'd go to open the door and find the prize. we would say we looked through the peephole and saw buzz lightyear leave it there, but he flew away before you got out of the bathroom. he ablsolutley LOVED it!!!! i dont know if it helps, but.... good luck!!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom